rotax engines and husqvarna

DSN_KLR650
Joe

tank bags

Post by Joe » Fri Jun 09, 2000 9:07 pm

Thanks to everyone who gave advice/opinions on tank bags. Just purchased a used Wolfman Explorer from a guy in Co. Can't wait till it gets here. Joe

njtc@mail.ocis.net

tank bags

Post by njtc@mail.ocis.net » Tue Dec 19, 2000 9:44 am

FWIW I use a Teknic bag on my KLR. It is black and of the 'tapered' type, so from the side the end closest to the rider is deeper than the front end. Being magnetic it stays on just fine and is significantly more capacious than the Kawi one. You have to take it off to fill up the tank but that is not big deal since we can go so far on a tank full anyway. Merry Christmas to one and all! Nick aka Gromit A13

Steve

tank bags

Post by Steve » Fri Jul 27, 2001 4:31 pm

Greetings... I just purchased a KLR 650, yesterday...I am new to the list and I bet this question has been asked before but here goes... I would like to add a tank bag to my KLR and since the tank is so oddly shaped, I thought I'd get some opinions on what works. Does Kawasaki make one for the KLR...What do you use? Steve Viertell, Chico, CA '01 Concours, "Smurfie" '01 EX250, "Ninjita" '01 KLR650 "No Name" COG 4274 IBA 6049 WA6ZGK www.viertell.com/bikes/>

darkthought@worldnet.att.net

tank bags

Post by darkthought@worldnet.att.net » Fri Jul 27, 2001 5:08 pm

Congrats - the KLR is a great bike. I have a Wolfman Explorer, which is intended for bikes with sloping tanks. Just recently used it on a week long trip, it worked great. It has the main compartment, and three smaller compartents, two of which (on the sides) are detachable. Here's a little write up I stumbled across: http://www.execpc.com/~print4u/wolfman.html I didn't have the cross wind problems he talks about, nor the glare from the map window. It is a little on the expensive side, though. Kawasaki does make one for the KLR, don't have any experience with it though. Good luck! - Brian A9
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Steve" wrote: > Greetings... > I just purchased a KLR 650, yesterday...I am new to the list and I > bet this question has been asked before but here goes... > > I would like to add a tank bag to my KLR and since the tank is so > oddly shaped, I thought I'd get some opinions on what works. Does > Kawasaki make one for the KLR...What do you use? > > Steve Viertell, Chico, CA > '01 Concours, "Smurfie" > '01 EX250, "Ninjita" > '01 KLR650 "No Name" > COG 4274 IBA 6049 WA6ZGK > www.viertell.com/bikes/

richardm@gowinnt.com

tank bags

Post by richardm@gowinnt.com » Fri Jul 27, 2001 5:51 pm

> Here's a little write up I stumbled across: > > http://www.execpc.com/~print4u/wolfman.html > > I didn't have the cross wind problems he talks about, nor the glare > from the map window. It is a little on the expensive side, though.
That guy had a mounting problem. I suspect he ran the straps to mounting points which were not far enough to the side. My Explorer flops left and right somewhat due to the curvature of the tank but the base does not move at all. FL went to the bodywork's mounting tab (welded to the tank). FR went to the coolant bottle support bracket. Rear straps went to the vertical frame tubes that adjoin the seat rails - NOT the seat rails themselves! Wider is better (unless we're talking about asses). RM

Peter Berghs

tank bags

Post by Peter Berghs » Fri Jul 27, 2001 6:06 pm

I really like my Wolman Explorer bag, it fits the tank shape well and the pockets are very useful for small stuff. My only complaint is that the map window is too small. Steve wrote:
> > Greetings... > I just purchased a KLR 650, yesterday...I am new to the list and I > bet this question has been asked before but here goes... > > I would like to add a tank bag to my KLR and since the tank is so > oddly shaped, I thought I'd get some opinions on what works. Does > Kawasaki make one for the KLR...What do you use? >

samoht@swbell.net

tank bags

Post by samoht@swbell.net » Fri Jul 27, 2001 7:12 pm

I have the Kawasaki tank bag and have found it adequate for my needs. I mostly use it when I need to pick up something from the store. I have used it on several trips including a 1,000 miler and have had no problems with it. Tom A14

Chris

tank bags

Post by Chris » Sat Jul 28, 2001 10:27 am

I've read about the Kawasaki one, its small and pretty useless although a great map holder its still apparently a little hard to see while in motion. I bought the tail bag that fits on the rack. Its fantastic and can get huge. (It unzips to quadrouple it's size if you want) It also has a cople handy side pockets that fit my gloves, chain lube, Zzip ties and a few other essential things for the KLR. (You're going to learn a lot about locktight, zip ties and vibration) Chris.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, July 27, 2001 5:31 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Tank Bags > Greetings... > I just purchased a KLR 650, yesterday...I am new to the list and I > bet this question has been asked before but here goes... > > I would like to add a tank bag to my KLR and since the tank is so > oddly shaped, I thought I'd get some opinions on what works. Does > Kawasaki make one for the KLR...What do you use? > > Steve Viertell, Chico, CA > '01 Concours, "Smurfie" > '01 EX250, "Ninjita" > '01 KLR650 "No Name" > COG 4274 IBA 6049 WA6ZGK > www.viertell.com/bikes/ > > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Support Dual Sport News by subscribing at: > http://www.dualsportnews.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

darkthought@worldnet.att.net

tank bags

Post by darkthought@worldnet.att.net » Sat Jul 28, 2001 11:01 pm

I'll second that - the Kawasaki tail bag is great!
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Chris" wrote: > I've read about the Kawasaki one, its small and pretty useless > although a great map holder its still apparently a little hard to > see while in motion. > > I bought the tail bag that fits on the rack. Its fantastic and can > get huge. (It unzips to quadrouple it's size if you want) It also > has a couple handy side pockets that fit my gloves, chain lube, > zip ties and a few other essential things for the KLR. (You're > going to learn a lot about locktight, zip ties and vibration) > > Chris. > >

Stuart Mumford

tank bags

Post by Stuart Mumford » Sun Jul 29, 2001 12:50 am

I reckon passing judgment on something that you "have read about" it is pretty weak. I have 15k miles on my Kawi tankbag, and It is an okay unit. I did have the local luggage repair shop fix the map window up with some heavier plastic after the stock piece ripped after about 12k miles. That said, the Kawi bag tends to droop towards your package and if you ride offroad and slide way forward on the seat, the constant bag on your dangly bits tends to get old. Especially if you have some heavy tools or like a camera in it. I must have rearranged it 1000 times to get the heavy stuff towards the top and away from my satchel. I have seen the Wolfman bag in action, it looks like it could hold a hell of a lot, but it seems to be 4 feet tall! Jeez with the huge tank and a tank bag full of stuff on top of it, it seeks like the bike would be even more top heavy. If that is even possible. I think for real adventure touring, the Wolfman may be the way to go, but for commuting or short ( one or two day ) trips, the Kawi bag works very well. YMMV CA Stu A13 Riverside CA "Take your building and your income, shove them up your ass." >I've read about the Kawasaki one, its small and pretty useless although a >great map holder its still apparently a little hard to see while in motion.