adjustable levers : was: test

DSN_KLR650
v1rotate12@hotmail.com

corbin seat

Post by v1rotate12@hotmail.com » Sun Apr 16, 2000 4:33 pm

Four days ago I drove across the central valley to Hollister to pick up my Corbin KLR650 seat. Hollister is where the original bad-boy Harley reputation was born. When I called to order the seat, I was told that it would take at least four weeks. That didn't sound good to me, so I asked how long it would take if I came over and picked it up. The answer surprised me: "We could make it for you today, what time are you coming by?" Anyway, I ordered and went to pick it up 6days later. The factory is new, located in a small industrial park in the tiny farming town of Hollister. A neat retro-style diner is built into the place so that visiting bikers can hang out for a while. Virtually all of the labor is by hispanic workers. I looked at the seat and saw that "Jaime" had assembled it, leaving his quality- control sticker on the seat bottom. I asked one of the workers in the shop where Jaime was, so I could thank him for the fine work and was told that he was in the back and didn't speak english. The co- worker said that he would pass-on my thanks for me. The seat is quite a bit heavier than stock and without a doubt is better made, but is it a better seat? I'm not sure yet. I am small;145lbs with a 31 inch inseam. I have dropped my bike twice do to not having enough leg length on uneven terrain and so really wanted the scooped saddle to get more foot contact. This seat accomplishes that very nicely. I am very happy with that and will live with the negative. The negative is that you have to really hang on to the gas tank with your knees when you come to a stop, otherwise you will slide down into the "Big Valley". Of course, you may want to anyway. The slope into the valley is steep, and even when you push your butt back up the hill, you tend to slip back down into it. If you are doing over 50mph the wind blast will hold you back, but going downhill at slow speed while braking will have you clinching your tank with your knees like a horseback rider. The seat installed perfectly and is extremely well made. I have not taken it for an extended ride yet. It has accomplished what I needed for added safety and I will adjust for the slide. Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to let listers know that if they must have their seat quickly, there is a way to accomplish that. The riding season is here. Cost was $267 including CA sales tax. Looking for some "Ass Grip" Scotty

Henry (Terry) Brigham

corbin seat

Post by Henry (Terry) Brigham » Fri Jun 01, 2001 3:56 pm

Don, don't cancel.. This is their busy season so it takes a little longer. As the previous writer said, its one of the best modifications you can buy. Worth its weight in gold after the first 100 miles each day. Terry

jimk@spotgraphicsinc.com

corbin seat

Post by jimk@spotgraphicsinc.com » Fri Jun 01, 2001 4:23 pm

This will annoy some of you - three guys I work with rode down to Corbin last Saturday and had the seats produced and back on the bikes before noon. They all raved. Jim 96 KLR

jlabate@dakotacom.net

corbin seat

Post by jlabate@dakotacom.net » Sat Jun 02, 2001 11:09 am

I ordered my "custom" -the flat one - Corbin seat 8 weeks ago and it just arrived. I haven't even opened the box yet.

Vernon Cooke

corbin seat

Post by Vernon Cooke » Mon Jul 09, 2001 10:02 am

Group, For my A15, I am thinking about a Corbin seat for the extended street rides (200 plus miles at one sitting). What experiences can you share? Vernon Cooke

Jsherlockholmz@aol.com

corbin seat

Post by Jsherlockholmz@aol.com » Mon Jul 09, 2001 10:58 am

In a message dated 7/9/01 10:26:42 AM Central Daylight Time, DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com writes: > Vernon, This is just my personal opinion. So you can take it or leave it. I am 6'3" tall at 265 pounds. I tried the stock seat, could not go further than 30 minutes without monkey butt burn. Bought a Corbin. Did not know they had the flat version. Wasn't in the catalog, and they didn't mention it. I will be getting rid of the Corbin in favor of a Russell Day Long Saddle. I sat on one at a rally recently and my tush was in heaven. For some idiotic reason, on the dished Corbin seat, they put a lump of padding right where your tailbone goes. This causes as much discomfort as the stock seat did. The only nice part, is that I can slide my butt back to the passenger section which is formed much better. But then you look goofy, like you were trying to ride your KLR like a cruiser styled bike. Some of the *Iron Butts* on this list swear by the stock seat, others swear by the flat (aircraft carrier style) Corbin seat. If your rear is as tough as theirs, then the Corbin may be right for you. As for me, I need the added support and plushness of the Russell saddle. I understand that another company called Mayer, or Meyer, designed the original and sold the rights to Russell. Since then, apparently Russell has made some changes. I have heard, I can't validate this, that Russell incorporates springs with the foam in their saddles and Mayer/Meyer does not. For my dollars, I am going with the Russell. I saw it, I felt it, I love it. I think I could do a 400 to 500 mile day on the Russell. With the Corbin, I'm lucky to make 200 miles in a day. This is just my personal experience. Jim Sherlock Austin, Texas

Henry (Terry) Brigham

corbin seat

Post by Henry (Terry) Brigham » Mon Jul 09, 2001 5:06 pm

I have one and it's great. It helps lower the seating position as well as being much more comfortable. Yours, Terry

Eric Grundin

corbin seat

Post by Eric Grundin » Mon Jul 09, 2001 9:17 pm

I am with you Jim. I have a Russell on my Concours and it is good for 1000 mile days with out any discomfort. It relly is an impressive item. I am going to get on the waiting list at Russell and try to send them my saddle over the winter for them to work their wonders on it. On the Concours it is a joy, worth twice what I paid for it. Thanks. Eric Grundin Salem, Wi. 99 Concours "Airbike" 01 KLR 650 COG #3728 AMA #75867 Silly Yuppie Trailers are for Boats.
>
rides
> (200 plus miles at one sitting). What experiences can you share? >> > > Vernon, > > This is just my personal opinion. So you can take it or leave it. I am
6'3"
> tall at 265 pounds. I tried the stock seat, could not go further than 30 > minutes without monkey butt burn. Bought a Corbin. Did not know they had
the
> flat version. Wasn't in the catalog, and they didn't mention it. I will be > getting rid of the Corbin in favor of a Russell Day Long Saddle. I sat on
one
> at a rally recently and my tush was in heaven. For some idiotic reason, on > the dished Corbin seat, they put a lump of padding right where your
tailbone
> goes. This causes as much discomfort as the stock seat did. The only nice > part, is that I can slide my butt back to the passenger section which is > formed much better. But then you look goofy, like you were trying to ride > your KLR like a cruiser styled bike. > > Some of the *Iron Butts* on this list swear by the stock seat, others
swear
> by the flat (aircraft carrier style) Corbin seat. If your rear is as tough
as
> theirs, then the Corbin may be right for you. As for me, I need the added > support and plushness of the Russell saddle. I understand that another > company called Mayer, or Meyer, designed the original and sold the rights
to
> Russell. Since then, apparently Russell has made some changes. I have
heard,
> I can't validate this, that Russell incorporates springs with the foam in > their saddles and Mayer/Meyer does not. For my dollars, I am going with
the
> Russell. I saw it, I felt it, I love it. I think I could do a 400 to 500
mile
> day on the Russell. With the Corbin, I'm lucky to make 200 miles in a day. > > This is just my personal experience. > > Jim Sherlock > Austin, Texas >

Hubbard738@aol.com

corbin seat

Post by Hubbard738@aol.com » Sun Jul 29, 2001 3:53 pm

Need some help from you folks on the list that have a Corbin seat. I was at Honda Homecomming this weekend, And went by the Corbin Seat booth to see if there were any deals. 100 dollars off plus 10% that put it at $179.00 So I bought one. Heres were I need help I have to call them with the modifications I want. I recall some of you had NO dip ? or extra foam ? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks, Hubbard738 A-15

Don Detloff

corbin seat

Post by Don Detloff » Sun Jul 29, 2001 5:10 pm

> Need some help from you folks on the list that have a Corbin seat.
I
> was at Honda Homecomming this weekend, And went by the Corbin Seat > booth to see if there were any deals. 100 dollars off plus 10% that > put it at $179.00 So I bought one. Heres were I need help I have to > call them with the modifications I want. I recall some of you had
NO
> dip ? or extra foam ? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks, > Hubbard738 A-15
WOW! That's a great price. I got my Corbin this Spring and it cost about $320 with shipping. The mods that several on the list including myself have on our Corbins are: 1) no front dip 2) flat top - no dish 3) rear of seat is narrowed to allow better use of the bike's grab handles I ordered mine with black accent leather for the seating area, black vinyl sides and a dark green welt. Don Detloff Fair Haven, MI '00 KLR650 '00 Triumph Sprint RS '64 Yamaha Trail 80 ret.