nklr georgeous old iron

DSN_KLR650
RobertWichert

a new trick i figured out

Post by RobertWichert » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:11 am

But maybe everybody knows about it... It used to be that whenever I ran out of gas on the freeway, the bike would stall. Even if I switched to reserve as fast as I could, it would stall. I ride at about 6,000 RPM on the freeway, so maybe that has something to do with it, but it would always stall. I would have to coast to the side of the freeway (not fun on either side) and restart it. Using the enricher (choke) helped to get it started. It ran OK to the gas station after that. BUT THEN THE EPIPHANY! Yesterday I switched to reserve and also pushed the enrichener (choke) to full rich (choked) at the same time. VOILA! No stall. Worked once, anyway. Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 ===============================================

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:19 am

I'm jealous. When I run out of gas, I'm soon walking. Then again, the low fuel display is a reminder the fuel injection's going to run dry in about an hour. ;-) eddie
----- Original Message ----- From: RobertWichert But maybe everybody knows about it... It used to be that whenever I ran out of gas on the freeway, the bike would stall. Even if I switched to reserve as fast as I could, it would stall. I ride at about 6,000 RPM on the freeway, so maybe that has something to do with it, but it would always stall. I would have to coast to the side of the freeway (not fun on either side) and restart it. Using the enricher (choke) helped to get it started. It ran OK to the gas station after that. BUT THEN THE EPIPHANY! Yesterday I switched to reserve and also pushed the enrichener (choke) to full rich (choked) at the same time. VOILA! No stall. Worked once, anyway. Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

mark ward

Post by mark ward » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:40 am

research time, who has this issue, 2 TWO groups. Do you have the shutoff "valve kit" installed?? I do NOT have the kit, and have never had the issue, of needing to pull over. (unless riding very slow aproching a light etc.) SO......... Stock valve & NO. PS. I am INQUISITIVE,..... NOT JUDGING the kit. Mark (West MI.)
--- On Wed, 12/5/12, RobertWichert wrote: From: RobertWichert Subject: [DSN_KLR650] A new trick I figured out To: Cc: "DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Date: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 3:11 PM But maybe everybody knows about it... It used to be that whenever I ran out of gas on the freeway, the bike would stall. Even if I switched to reserve as fast as I could, it would stall. I ride at about 6,000 RPM on the freeway, so maybe that has something to do with it, but it would always stall. I would have to coast to the side of the freeway (not fun on either side) and restart it. Using the enricher (choke) helped to get it started. It ran OK to the gas station after that. BUT THEN THE EPIPHANY! Yesterday I switched to reserve and also pushed the enrichener (choke) to full rich (choked) at the same time. VOILA! No stall. Worked once, anyway. Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 =============================================== [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

RobertWichert

Post by RobertWichert » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:47 am

Well, on a KLR, you get two chances to run out of gas. The first one is not so serious. Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 ===============================================
On 12/5/2012 7:19 AM, eddie wrote: > > I'm jealous. > When I run out of gas, I'm soon walking. > Then again, the low fuel display is a reminder the fuel injection's > going to run dry in about an hour. > ;-) > eddie > ----- Original Message ----- > From: RobertWichert > But maybe everybody knows about it... > > It used to be that whenever I ran out of gas on the freeway, the bike > would stall. Even if I switched to reserve as fast as I could, it would > stall. I ride at about 6,000 RPM on the freeway, so maybe that has > something to do with it, but it would always stall. I would have to > coast to the side of the freeway (not fun on either side) and restart > it. Using the enricher (choke) helped to get it started. It ran OK to > the gas station after that. > > BUT THEN THE EPIPHANY! > > Yesterday I switched to reserve and also pushed the enrichener (choke) > to full rich (choked) at the same time. VOILA! No stall. > > Worked once, anyway. > > Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C > +1 916 966 9060 > FAX +1 916 966 9068 > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

RobertWichert

Post by RobertWichert » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:49 am

Stock everything. Happens only on the freeway at high revs. So..... Stock valve and YES. Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 ===============================================
On 12/5/2012 7:40 AM, mark ward wrote: > > research time, who has this issue, 2 TWO groups. > > Do you have the shutoff "valve kit" installed?? > > I do NOT have the kit, and have never had the issue, of needing to > pull over. (unless riding very slow aproching a light etc.) > > SO......... Stock valve & NO. > > > PS. I am INQUISITIVE,..... NOT JUDGING the kit. > > Mark (West MI.) > > --- On Wed, 12/5/12, RobertWichert > wrote: > > From: RobertWichert > > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] A new trick I figured out > To: > Cc: "DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com " > DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > > Date: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 3:11 PM > > > > But maybe everybody knows about it... > > It used to be that whenever I ran out of gas on the freeway, the bike > would stall. Even if I switched to reserve as fast as I could, it would > stall. I ride at about 6,000 RPM on the freeway, so maybe that has > something to do with it, but it would always stall. I would have to > coast to the side of the freeway (not fun on either side) and restart > it. Using the enricher (choke) helped to get it started. It ran OK to > the gas station after that. > > BUT THEN THE EPIPHANY! > > Yesterday I switched to reserve and also pushed the enrichener (choke) > to full rich (choked) at the same time. VOILA! No stall. > > Worked once, anyway. > > Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C > +1 916 966 9060 > FAX +1 916 966 9068 > > =============================================== > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Bogdan Swider

Post by Bogdan Swider » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:58 am

Our rides are prone to stutter in a variety of circumstances. During my trip from Colorado to St. Louis the temperatures when crossing Kansas and Missouri reached 104-106 for a good part of the day. The hottest times seemed to be 4 or 5PM. On occasion my engine would then hiccup. Pushing the enrich lever would cure the problem. I would pull it the least amount possible to achieve results. I was told the gas can literally boil at those temperatures. Bogdan, who would certainly enjoy a cold beer no room temperature brit stuff after one of those days From: eddie > Date: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 8:19 AM To: KLR650 list DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.comDSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com>> Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] A new trick I figured out I'm jealous. When I run out of gas, I'm soon walking. Then again, the low fuel display is a reminder the fuel injection's going to run dry in about an hour. ;-) eddie
----- Original Message ----- From: RobertWichert But maybe everybody knows about it... It used to be that whenever I ran out of gas on the freeway, the bike would stall. Even if I switched to reserve as fast as I could, it would stall. I ride at about 6,000 RPM on the freeway, so maybe that has something to do with it, but it would always stall. I would have to coast to the side of the freeway (not fun on either side) and restart it. Using the enricher (choke) helped to get it started. It ran OK to the gas station after that. BUT THEN THE EPIPHANY! Yesterday I switched to reserve and also pushed the enrichener (choke) to full rich (choked) at the same time. VOILA! No stall. Worked once, anyway. Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

greg coyle

Post by greg coyle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:07 am

just a thought, but since our klr's get very consistent gas mileage maybe you could just fill up before you need to hit reserve... imho... gregc
On 12/5/2012 8:48 AM, RobertWichert wrote: > Stock everything. Happens only on the freeway at high revs. > > So..... Stock valve and YES. > > Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C > +1 916 966 9060 > FAX +1 916 966 9068 > > =============================================== > > On 12/5/2012 7:40 AM, mark ward wrote: > > > > research time, who has this issue, 2 TWO groups. > > > > Do you have the shutoff "valve kit" installed?? > > > > I do NOT have the kit, and have never had the issue, of needing to > > pull over. (unless riding very slow aproching a light etc.) > > > > SO......... Stock valve & NO. > > > > > > PS. I am INQUISITIVE,..... NOT JUDGING the kit. > > > > Mark (West MI.) > > > > --- On Wed, 12/5/12, RobertWichert > > > wrote: > > > > From: RobertWichert > > > > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] A new trick I figured out > > To: > > Cc: "DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > " > > DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > > > > Date: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 3:11 PM > > > > > > > > But maybe everybody knows about it... > > > > It used to be that whenever I ran out of gas on the freeway, the bike > > would stall. Even if I switched to reserve as fast as I could, it would > > stall. I ride at about 6,000 RPM on the freeway, so maybe that has > > something to do with it, but it would always stall. I would have to > > coast to the side of the freeway (not fun on either side) and restart > > it. Using the enricher (choke) helped to get it started. It ran OK to > > the gas station after that. > > > > BUT THEN THE EPIPHANY! > > > > Yesterday I switched to reserve and also pushed the enrichener (choke) > > to full rich (choked) at the same time. VOILA! No stall. > > > > Worked once, anyway. > > > > Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C > > +1 916 966 9060 > > FAX +1 916 966 9068 > > > > =============================================== > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > >

RobertWichert

Post by RobertWichert » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:28 am

No thank you. I always go as far as possible and then push it the last few yards. Those last few yards I get GREAT mileage. Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 ===============================================
On 12/5/2012 8:07 AM, greg coyle wrote: > > just a thought, but since our klr's get very consistent gas mileage > maybe you could just fill up before you need to hit reserve... imho... > gregc > > On 12/5/2012 8:48 AM, RobertWichert wrote: > > Stock everything. Happens only on the freeway at high revs. > > > > So..... Stock valve and YES. > > > > Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C > > +1 916 966 9060 > > FAX +1 916 966 9068 > > > > =============================================== > > > > On 12/5/2012 7:40 AM, mark ward wrote: > > > > > > research time, who has this issue, 2 TWO groups. > > > > > > Do you have the shutoff "valve kit" installed?? > > > > > > I do NOT have the kit, and have never had the issue, of needing to > > > pull over. (unless riding very slow aproching a light etc.) > > > > > > SO......... Stock valve & NO. > > > > > > > > > PS. I am INQUISITIVE,..... NOT JUDGING the kit. > > > > > > Mark (West MI.) > > > > > > --- On Wed, 12/5/12, RobertWichert > > > > > > wrote: > > > > > > From: RobertWichert > > > > > > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] A new trick I figured out > > > To: > > > Cc: "DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > > > > " > > > DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > > > > > > > Date: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 3:11 PM > > > > > > > > > > > > But maybe everybody knows about it... > > > > > > It used to be that whenever I ran out of gas on the freeway, the bike > > > would stall. Even if I switched to reserve as fast as I could, it > would > > > stall. I ride at about 6,000 RPM on the freeway, so maybe that has > > > something to do with it, but it would always stall. I would have to > > > coast to the side of the freeway (not fun on either side) and restart > > > it. Using the enricher (choke) helped to get it started. It ran OK to > > > the gas station after that. > > > > > > BUT THEN THE EPIPHANY! > > > > > > Yesterday I switched to reserve and also pushed the enrichener (choke) > > > to full rich (choked) at the same time. VOILA! No stall. > > > > > > Worked once, anyway. > > > > > > Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C > > > +1 916 966 9060 > > > FAX +1 916 966 9068 > > > > > > =============================================== > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

mark ward

Post by mark ward » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:45 am

2 chances: (OR 3!!) Crossing ND (yes, the group was RIGHT less the nothing to see.) I heard that sputter sputter, and reached down to find ...OOOOPS!!! Already on reserve. I could not see ANYTHING for as far as my eyes could see. I checked the GPS (on MY route) and it said 68miles to the next (hopefully open) gas T. I was about to dig out my toolbag & trusty syphone hose, to sit and WAIT!!!! for a car etc. to come by. ( and I hadn't passed or seen anouther anything in a while.) Then it hit me, how far back (west)? or ACROSS the "field" desert?? and rechecked the GPS, under from "my location". WHEW, only 3miles back. So I used the KLR650's SECOND CHANCE, "IDIOT reserve", (like the IDIOT oil light). Tilting the KLR LOADED with Camping gear etc. (So loaded, John just had to take a pic.) and rode at 25mph for best millage to find it OPEN. Been in that "SITUATION" more then once, and at times a station on the GPS etc. hasnt been open in YEARS!!! Thats why, Traveling alone alot, I carry an MSR fuel canister. 3RD CHANCE,. 1 liter may not be much, but pampered can get you 12+- miles.
--- On Wed, 12/5/12, RobertWichert wrote: From: RobertWichert Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] A new trick I figured out To: "eddie" Cc: "KLR650 list" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Date: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 3:47 PM Well, on a KLR, you get two chances to run out of gas. The first one is not so serious. Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 =============================================== On 12/5/2012 7:19 AM, eddie wrote: > > I'm jealous. > When I run out of gas, I'm soon walking. > Then again, the low fuel display is a reminder the fuel injection's > going to run dry in about an hour. > ;-) > eddie > ----- Original Message ----- > From: RobertWichert > But maybe everybody knows about it... > > It used to be that whenever I ran out of gas on the freeway, the bike > would stall. Even if I switched to reserve as fast as I could, it would > stall. I ride at about 6,000 RPM on the freeway, so maybe that has > something to do with it, but it would always stall. I would have to > coast to the side of the freeway (not fun on either side) and restart > it. Using the enricher (choke) helped to get it started. It ran OK to > the gas station after that. > > BUT THEN THE EPIPHANY! > > Yesterday I switched to reserve and also pushed the enrichener (choke) > to full rich (choked) at the same time. VOILA! No stall. > > Worked once, anyway. > > Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C > +1 916 966 9060 > FAX +1 916 966 9068 > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

RobertWichert

Post by RobertWichert » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:50 pm

I "try" not to leave the valve on "reserve" when I fill up. But it has happened on previous bikes. Never with the KLR. Now that I have said that.... LOOKOUT! Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 ===============================================
On 12/5/2012 8:45 AM, mark ward wrote: > > 2 chances: (OR 3!!) Crossing ND (yes, the group was RIGHT less the > nothing to see.) I heard that sputter sputter, and reached down to > find ...OOOOPS!!! Already on reserve. > > I could not see ANYTHING for as far as my eyes could see. > > I checked the GPS (on MY route) and it said 68miles to the next > (hopefully open) gas T. > > I was about to dig out my toolbag & trusty syphone hose, to sit and > WAIT!!!! for a car etc. to come by. ( and I hadn't passed or seen > anouther anything in a while.) > > Then it hit me, how far back (west)? or ACROSS the "field" desert?? > and rechecked the GPS, under from "my location". > > WHEW, only 3miles back. > > So I used the KLR650's SECOND CHANCE, "IDIOT reserve", (like the IDIOT > oil light). > > Tilting the KLR LOADED with Camping gear etc. (So loaded, John just > had to take a pic.) > > and rode at 25mph for best millage to find it OPEN. > > Been in that "SITUATION" more then once, and at times a station on the > GPS etc. hasnt been open in YEARS!!! > > Thats why, Traveling alone alot, I carry an MSR fuel canister. 3RD > CHANCE,. > 1 liter may not be much, but pampered can get you 12+- miles. > > > --- On Wed, 12/5/12, RobertWichert > wrote: > > From: RobertWichert > > Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] A new trick I figured out > To: "eddie" > > Cc: "KLR650 list" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > > > Date: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 3:47 PM > > > > Well, on a KLR, you get two chances to run out of gas. The first one is > not so serious. > > Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C > +1 916 966 9060 > FAX +1 916 966 9068 > > =============================================== > > On 12/5/2012 7:19 AM, eddie wrote: > > > > I'm jealous. > > When I run out of gas, I'm soon walking. > > Then again, the low fuel display is a reminder the fuel injection's > > going to run dry in about an hour. > > ;-) > > eddie > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: RobertWichert > > But maybe everybody knows about it... > > > > It used to be that whenever I ran out of gas on the freeway, the bike > > would stall. Even if I switched to reserve as fast as I could, it would > > stall. I ride at about 6,000 RPM on the freeway, so maybe that has > > something to do with it, but it would always stall. I would have to > > coast to the side of the freeway (not fun on either side) and restart > > it. Using the enricher (choke) helped to get it started. It ran OK to > > the gas station after that. > > > > BUT THEN THE EPIPHANY! > > > > Yesterday I switched to reserve and also pushed the enrichener (choke) > > to full rich (choked) at the same time. VOILA! No stall. > > > > Worked once, anyway. > > > > Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C > > +1 916 966 9060 > > FAX +1 916 966 9068 > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]