fs: 2006 klr excellent condition dc area

DSN_KLR650
Eddie

o a s

Post by Eddie » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:52 am

It's 65F with clear blue skies overhead. Got my o-fficial On Any Sunday T-shirt on and I'm going ridin'! Hope ya'll have a good riding day wherever you may be. eddie [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jud

o a s

Post by Jud » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:26 am

It's 50 here, headed for 72 . I think I'll change the oil and mount at least a front tire before I go anywhere today. Yup, its the same tire I had on there in June. I rode up to Wings and Wheels in Osceola yesterday, and I'm gonna let that count as "one more rally". I think I'll wear my Bent Nail t-shirt for luck. Then, if I'm lucky, or still ambitious, I'll change the other tire, too. Then maybe I'll go for a ride.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "eddie" wrote: > > It's 65F with clear blue skies overhead. > Got my o-fficial On Any Sunday T-shirt on and I'm going ridin'! > Hope ya'll have a good riding day wherever you may be. > eddie > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >

mark ward

o a s

Post by mark ward » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:36 am

Leaving today for 2 weeks from West Mich, to Erie PA. area, then to S of pittsburg, Hm, REPACK, leave for West VA. for a week, with 4 others on bikes. Then I will plan ...FALL TRIP....WEST? ...S.WEST?. I like to wear My "On the road again" T-shirt, from "Cycle Moore" Bikeshop/ campgrounds/ museum.
--- On Sun, 9/9/12, Jud wrote: From: Jud Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: O A S To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Date: Sunday, September 9, 2012, 1:26 PM It's 50 here, headed for 72 . I think I'll change the oil and mount at least a front tire before I go anywhere today. Yup, its the same tire I had on there in June. I rode up to Wings and Wheels in Osceola yesterday, and I'm gonna let that count as "one more rally". I think I'll wear my Bent Nail t-shirt for luck. Then, if I'm lucky, or still ambitious, I'll change the other tire, too. Then maybe I'll go for a ride. --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "eddie" wrote: > > It's 65F with clear blue skies overhead. > Got my o-fficial On Any Sunday T-shirt on and I'm going ridin'! > Hope ya'll have a good riding day wherever you may be. > eddie > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jud

o a s

Post by Jud » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:06 pm

The front tire change was a breeze. The HD tube still looked good, and the tire went on almost without requiring levers, just a little bit for the last 8 inches. Then Shelly wanted to go to breakfast in Hudson, so a shower was necessary to rinse off the talc. Enough powder to make the tire go on easy leaves a pretty big mess behind. After breakfast it was time for a nap, so the rear tire and oil change are going to have to wait for another day. About two o'clock, we went over to River Falls for the car show (because we didn't see enough old hardware in Osceola yesterday) and called on Ben and Angie, friends from the Indianhead BMW Motorcycle Club of Wisconsin.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Jud" wrote: > > It's 50 here, headed for 72 . I think I'll change the oil and mount at least a front tire before I go anywhere today. Yup, its the same tire I had on there in June. I rode up to Wings and Wheels in Osceola yesterday, and I'm gonna let that count as "one more rally". I think I'll wear my Bent Nail t-shirt for luck. Then, if I'm lucky, or still ambitious, I'll change the other tire, too. > > Then maybe I'll go for a ride. > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "eddie" wrote: > > > > It's 65F with clear blue skies overhead. > > Got my o-fficial On Any Sunday T-shirt on and I'm going ridin'! > > Hope ya'll have a good riding day wherever you may be. > > eddie > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > >

ron criswell

o a s

Post by ron criswell » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:52 am

Jud the Bent Nail thing happened the other day...to some Harley guys my wife works with. They went on a ride in Central Texas. One guy had a flat. They waited 4 hours on the side of the road for someone to come and fix it (heh). I don't know if he was running a spoke rim tube type tire....but I wouldn't on one of those Big Hogs. Tubeless is the only way to go. Criswell Sent from my iPad
On Sep 9, 2012, at 8:26 AM, "Jud" wrote: > It's 50 here, headed for 72 . I think I'll change the oil and mount at least a front tire before I go anywhere today. Yup, its the same tire I had on there in June. I rode up to Wings and Wheels in Osceola yesterday, and I'm gonna let that count as "one more rally". I think I'll wear my Bent Nail t-shirt for luck. Then, if I'm lucky, or still ambitious, I'll change the other tire, too. > > Then maybe I'll go for a ride. > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "eddie" wrote: > > > > It's 65F with clear blue skies overhead. > > Got my o-fficial On Any Sunday T-shirt on and I'm going ridin'! > > Hope ya'll have a good riding day wherever you may be. > > eddie > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jud

o a s

Post by Jud » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:49 am

I thought that all those Harleys would be tubeless anymore. I'd hate to be the guy who sat by the road 4 hours, and then found out all he needed was a plug kit and a bicycle pump to get going again.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Ron Criswell wrote: > > Jud the Bent Nail thing happened the other day...to some Harley guys my wife works with. They went on a ride in Central Texas. One guy had a flat. They waited 4 hours on the side of the road for someone to come and fix it (heh). I don't know if he was running a spoke rim tube type tire....but I wouldn't on one of those Big Hogs. Tubeless is the only way to go. > > Criswell > > Sent from my iPad > > On Sep 9, 2012, at 8:26 AM, "Jud" wrote: > > > It's 50 here, headed for 72 . I think I'll change the oil and mount at least a front tire before I go anywhere today. Yup, its the same tire I had on there in June. I rode up to Wings and Wheels in Osceola yesterday, and I'm gonna let that count as "one more rally". I think I'll wear my Bent Nail t-shirt for luck. Then, if I'm lucky, or still ambitious, I'll change the other tire, too. > > > > Then maybe I'll go for a ride. > > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "eddie" wrote: > > > > > > It's 65F with clear blue skies overhead. > > > Got my o-fficial On Any Sunday T-shirt on and I'm going ridin'! > > > Hope ya'll have a good riding day wherever you may be. > > > eddie > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >

ron criswell

o a s

Post by ron criswell » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:03 am

You would be surprised. I have talked to a lot of Harley guys who wouldn't think about carrying a wrench or using one. All I have talked to religiously pay to have their bikes serviced at the dealer paying a pretty penny for it. I don't know about you, but the bikes seem fairly simple with little to do except maybe an oil and plug change routinely. BMW........they aren't that I can see. Air cooled, hydraulic valves (no adjust), FI and belt drive. I would not have one with spoked rims but I see a lot running around. Criswell Sent from my iPad
On Sep 10, 2012, at 10:49 AM, "Jud" wrote: > I thought that all those Harleys would be tubeless anymore. I'd hate to be the guy who sat by the road 4 hours, and then found out all he needed was a plug kit and a bicycle pump to get going again. > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Ron Criswell wrote: > > > > Jud the Bent Nail thing happened the other day...to some Harley guys my wife works with. They went on a ride in Central Texas. One guy had a flat. They waited 4 hours on the side of the road for someone to come and fix it (heh). I don't know if he was running a spoke rim tube type tire....but I wouldn't on one of those Big Hogs. Tubeless is the only way to go. > > > > Criswell > > > > Sent from my iPad > > > > On Sep 9, 2012, at 8:26 AM, "Jud" wrote: > > > > > It's 50 here, headed for 72 . I think I'll change the oil and mount at least a front tire before I go anywhere today. Yup, its the same tire I had on there in June. I rode up to Wings and Wheels in Osceola yesterday, and I'm gonna let that count as "one more rally". I think I'll wear my Bent Nail t-shirt for luck. Then, if I'm lucky, or still ambitious, I'll change the other tire, too. > > > > > > Then maybe I'll go for a ride. > > > > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "eddie" wrote: > > > > > > > > It's 65F with clear blue skies overhead. > > > > Got my o-fficial On Any Sunday T-shirt on and I'm going ridin'! > > > > Hope ya'll have a good riding day wherever you may be. > > > > eddie > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Ed Rockefeller

o a s

Post by Ed Rockefeller » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:35 pm

>________________________________ > From: Ron Criswell > >You would be surprised. I have talked to a lot of Harley guys who wouldn't think about carrying a wrench or using one. All I have talked to religiously pay to have their bikes serviced at the dealer paying a pretty penny for it. I don't know about you, but the bikes seem fairly simple with little to do except maybe an oil and plug change routinely. BMW........they aren't that I can see. Air cooled, hydraulic valves (no adjust), FI and belt drive. I would not have one with spoked rims but I see a lot running around. > >Criswell >
i dunno cris. i am sure you didn't mean to lay out a blanket statement but most of the olde school hardley guys (those that are left) out there are used to having to *need* tools. even though harley HAS gotten a little more reliable over the years, i know of a few die-hard hardley riders that have been riding 30 or so years that still carry the tools they think they will need -- and many know how to use them. now, the NEW gen hardley riders, yeah they have the BMW tool kit -- you know their credit card and AAA card (or whatever the moto-equivalent is). and that's exactly why harley has done so well and persevered. they targeted a new market of riders that they could make money on. it's always an adventure ed rock newport, tn 09 klr650 (Ms.Chif) 07 gsf1250s (Cloud9) 01 gsf600s (Pearl) 84 vf750f " the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but that doesn't appeal to us riders anyway" -- Ted Dorsey

RobertWichert

o a s

Post by RobertWichert » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:57 pm

I agree with Ed. "Back in the day" when all bikes were "scooters" the Harley riders that I knew BUILT their bikes. Literally. They were good with tools and they had to be good mechanics to make them work reliably. A "One-Kick-Harley" was a goal, and many times a money bet. Not many of them are left, but they are riders, that's for sure. Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 ===============================================
On 9/10/2012 2:35 PM, Ed Rockefeller wrote: > > > > >________________________________ > > From: Ron Criswell > > > > >You would be surprised. I have talked to a lot of Harley guys who > wouldn't think about carrying a wrench or using one. All I have talked > to religiously pay to have their bikes serviced at the dealer paying a > pretty penny for it. I don't know about you, but the bikes seem fairly > simple with little to do except maybe an oil and plug change > routinely. BMW........they aren't that I can see. Air cooled, > hydraulic valves (no adjust), FI and belt drive. I would not have one > with spoked rims but I see a lot running around. > > > >Criswell > > > > i dunno cris. i am sure you didn't mean to lay out a blanket > statement but most of the olde school hardley guys (those that are > left) out there are used to having to *need* tools. even though harley > HAS gotten a little more reliable over the years, i know of a few > die-hard hardley riders that have been riding 30 or so years that > still carry the tools they think they will need -- and many know how > to use them. now, the NEW gen hardley riders, yeah they have the BMW > tool kit -- you know their credit card and AAA card (or whatever the > moto-equivalent is). and that's exactly why harley has done so well > and persevered. they targeted a new market of riders that they could > make money on. > > it's always an adventure > > ed rock > newport, tn > 09 klr650 (Ms.Chif) > 07 gsf1250s (Cloud9) > 01 gsf600s (Pearl) > 84 vf750f > > " the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but > that doesn't appeal to us riders anyway" > > -- Ted Dorsey > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jeff Saline

o a s

Post by Jeff Saline » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:49 pm

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:03:28 -0500 Ron Criswell writes:
> You would be surprised. I have talked to a lot of Harley guys who > wouldn't think about carrying a wrench or using one. All I have > talked to religiously pay to have their bikes serviced at the dealer > paying a pretty penny for it. I don't know about you, but the bikes > seem fairly simple with little to do except maybe an oil and plug > change routinely. BMW........they aren't that I can see. Air cooled, > hydraulic valves (no adjust), FI and belt drive. I would not have > one with spoked rims but I see a lot running around. > > Criswell
<><><><><> <><><><><> Criswell, I'm still not sure what this thread is about but I'm not gonna let that stop me from adding my two cents worth. : ) For the past three summers (riding seasons) I've been the test rider at the local Harley dealer. I've got some insight as to maintenance required on newer Harleys as I am around them all the time and ride almost everyone out of the service department. I also ride plenty of Harleys doing troubleshooting and diagnostics. There is not much difference between a Harley and a KLR. They both require some maintenance and the servicing must be done correctly to be effective. I, and the techs can usually tell in a couple of seconds of touching a bike if the any servicing has been done to it and if so by a trained technician or by the owner. The bikes that are serviced regularly and correctly are a real pleasure to ride. The ones that don't get service or get serviced incorrectly go from unpleasant to awful to ride. I think the KLR would be the same if I rode as many of them as I do Harleys. Don't service the KLR or service it improperly and it would not be a fun/good ride. Service it well and it's a hoot. There is more to maintaining a piece of machinery properly than many people understand. Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650 . . ____________________________________________________________ Woman is 53 But Looks 25 Mom reveals 1 simple wrinkle trick that has angered doctors... http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/504e989f8de05189f62fast03vuc