hey.

DSN_KLR650
Ian Francisco

no power over 4k

Post by Ian Francisco » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:21 am

In my opinion first thing you should do is stop riding the bike until you are sure the doo is hickeyed and the valves are adjusted to max spec. Bummer to have to tear into it right away, but you risk burning the valves until you know without a doubt the valves are not at or near zero clearance. Been there done that. Cost months of down time and a replacement head at over $350 for a used one. The risk of not being sure the doo is done is catastrophic failure of the bottom end. Do you want burned valves or a destroyed engine? I didn't think so. -- ian http://www.scarletfuries.com http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Scarlet-Furies/121218125931 Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:16 am (PDT) . Posted by: "Tam a'Rack" tamarackk.geo Speaking of doohickeys. Is there any way I can tell if my doo has already been hickeyed without tearing into the motor? I picked up a used 2003 with 14,000 miles on it and I don't know much about it's history. The bike has an issue, that I think is NOT doohickey related. But figured I would ask about the doohickeys anyhow. Problem with the bike is, it does not have any power over 3k rpm, and WOT it will not go over 60mph or much over 5k rpm (down hill with a tailwind) The bike runs ok at lower speeds and pulls ok until you get the revs close to 4k, then it just looses its balls. The seat feel is not bad at lower speeds and lower rpm. It will not wind up enough to really spin the rear tire. It just digs in and goes. Just not pulling real hard through the rpm like it should. Compression seems good. It will lock up the rear end if you downshift, even on pavement the tire will chirp if you drop from 2nd to 1st too fast. It feels like a fuel related issue to me. The previous owner said he had the petcock and carbs rebuilt. I talked to the guy that did the work, and I would not want him to tie my shoes, much less work on my motorcycle. He has no idea what he is doing... And I suspect he messed something up and as a result the motor starves for fuel when under load. Tam [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jeff Khoury

no power over 4k

Post by Jeff Khoury » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:01 pm

Could also be starving for air. Start with the basics: * Clean/replace the air filter * Check the carb diaphragm * Clean the carb/make sure the slide moves properly * Check for vacuum leaks (although if it runs good down low that's probably not the problem) These things will most likely fix your problem. If I had to lay money I would say the air cleaner's clogged or the slide is stuck, from the symptoms. I also agree that you should give it a good maintenance once-over, including checking the valves. However, it only has 14K on it so I don't think valves are the issue with the power. The doo on the older models should be changed, but I'm not as paranoid about it as some other people are. (not that changing it is a bad thing, it is a weak point.) -Jeff Khoury
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian Francisco" To: "DSN KLR650" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com>, tamarack@... Sent: Monday, July 23, 2012 9:21:23 AM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] no power over 4k In my opinion first thing you should do is stop riding the bike until you are sure the doo is hickeyed and the valves are adjusted to max spec. Bummer to have to tear into it right away, but you risk burning the valves until you know without a doubt the valves are not at or near zero clearance. Been there done that. Cost months of down time and a replacement head at over $350 for a used one. The risk of not being sure the doo is done is catastrophic failure of the bottom end. Do you want burned valves or a destroyed engine? I didn't think so. -- ian http://www.scarletfuries.com http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Scarlet-Furies/121218125931 Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:16 am (PDT) . Posted by: "Tam a'Rack" tamarackk.geo < tamarack@... ?subject=Re%3A%20Cam%20chain%20tension> Speaking of doohickeys. Is there any way I can tell if my doo has already been hickeyed without tearing into the motor? I picked up a used 2003 with 14,000 miles on it and I don't know much about it's history. The bike has an issue, that I think is NOT doohickey related. But figured I would ask about the doohickeys anyhow. Problem with the bike is, it does not have any power over 3k rpm, and WOT it will not go over 60mph or much over 5k rpm (down hill with a tailwind) The bike runs ok at lower speeds and pulls ok until you get the revs close to 4k, then it just looses its balls. The seat feel is not bad at lower speeds and lower rpm. It will not wind up enough to really spin the rear tire. It just digs in and goes. Just not pulling real hard through the rpm like it should. Compression seems good. It will lock up the rear end if you downshift, even on pavement the tire will chirp if you drop from 2nd to 1st too fast. It feels like a fuel related issue to me. The previous owner said he had the petcock and carbs rebuilt. I talked to the guy that did the work, and I would not want him to tie my shoes, much less work on my motorcycle. He has no idea what he is doing... And I suspect he messed something up and as a result the motor starves for fuel when under load. Tam [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Craig Kahler

no power over 4k

Post by Craig Kahler » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:14 am

It sounds like the slide is not lifting. torn carb diafram or stuck slide. The guy who rebuilt it may have screwed something up. Craig ________________________________ From: Jeff Khoury To: Ian Francisco Cc: DSN KLR650 DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com>; tamarack@... Sent: Monday, July 23, 2012 1:01 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] no power over 4k Could also be starving for air. Start with the basics: * Clean/replace the air filter * Check the carb diaphragm * Clean the carb/make sure the slide moves properly * Check for vacuum leaks (although if it runs good down low that's probably not the problem) These things will most likely fix your problem. If I had to lay money I would say the air cleaner's clogged or the slide is stuck, from the symptoms. I also agree that you should give it a good maintenance once-over, including checking the valves. However, it only has 14K on it so I don't think valves are the issue with the power. The doo on the older models should be changed, but I'm not as paranoid about it as some other people are. (not that changing it is a bad thing, it is a weak point.) -Jeff Khoury
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian Francisco" To: "DSN KLR650" , mailto:tamarack%40rocketmail.com Sent: Monday, July 23, 2012 9:21:23 AM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] no power over 4k In my opinion first thing you should do is stop riding the bike until you are sure the doo is hickeyed and the valves are adjusted to max spec. Bummer to have to tear into it right away, but you risk burning the valves until you know without a doubt the valves are not at or near zero clearance. Been there done that. Cost months of down time and a replacement head at over $350 for a used one. The risk of not being sure the doo is done is catastrophic failure of the bottom end. Do you want burned valves or a destroyed engine? I didn't think so. -- ian http://www.scarletfuries.com/ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Scarlet-Furies/121218125931 Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:16 am (PDT) . Posted by: "Tam a'Rack" tamarackk.geo < mailto:tamarack%40rocketmail.com ?subject=Re%3A%20Cam%20chain%20tension> Speaking of doohickeys. Is there any way I can tell if my doo has already been hickeyed without tearing into the motor? I picked up a used 2003 with 14,000 miles on it and I don't know much about it's history. The bike has an issue, that I think is NOT doohickey related. But figured I would ask about the doohickeys anyhow. Problem with the bike is, it does not have any power over 3k rpm, and WOT it will not go over 60mph or much over 5k rpm (down hill with a tailwind) The bike runs ok at lower speeds and pulls ok until you get the revs close to 4k, then it just looses its balls. The seat feel is not bad at lower speeds and lower rpm. It will not wind up enough to really spin the rear tire. It just digs in and goes. Just not pulling real hard through the rpm like it should. Compression seems good. It will lock up the rear end if you downshift, even on pavement the tire will chirp if you drop from 2nd to 1st too fast. It feels like a fuel related issue to me. The previous owner said he had the petcock and carbs rebuilt. I talked to the guy that did the work, and I would not want him to tie my shoes, much less work on my motorcycle. He has no idea what he is doing... And I suspect he messed something up and as a result the motor starves for fuel when under load. Tam [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Dochstader

no power over 4k

Post by Dochstader » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:26 pm

Someone used incorrect timing marks when they set the valves. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

RobertWichert

no power over 4k

Post by RobertWichert » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:37 pm

Is this another guess, or do you know for sure (you have seen it)? Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 ===============================================
On 7/24/2012 2:26 PM, dochstader wrote: > > Someone used incorrect timing marks when they set the valves. > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Tam a'Rack

no power over 4k

Post by Tam a'Rack » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:54 pm

I am willing to bet he screwed something up... Talk to him for 2 min and you will wonder how he manages to open the front door. ________________________________ From: Craig Kahler To: Jeff Khoury ; Ian Francisco Cc: DSN KLR650 DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com>; "tamarack@..." Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:14 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] no power over 4k It sounds like the slide is not lifting. torn carb diafram or stuck slide. The guy who rebuilt it may have screwed something up. Craig [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jeff Khoury

no power over 4k

Post by Jeff Khoury » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:53 pm

We ought to make a pool to see who's right. I have $5.00 on torn diaphragm/stuck slide. -Jeff Khoury
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tam a'Rack" To: "DSN KLR650" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 7:36:51 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] no power over 4k I am willing to bet he screwed something up... Talk to him for 2 min and you will wonder how he manages to open the front door. ________________________________ From: Craig Kahler < ckahleer@... > To: Jeff Khoury < jeff@... >; Ian Francisco < ocpianoman@... > Cc: DSN KLR650 < DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >; " tamarack@... " < tamarack@... > Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:14 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] no power over 4k It sounds like the slide is not lifting. torn carb diafram or stuck slide. The guy who rebuilt it may have screwed something up. Craig [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mike Huber

no power over 4k

Post by Mike Huber » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 pm

This is a no power over IDLE story.... Be thankfull you ride a KLR.....The other day a friend of mine asked me to look at his sons Yamaha R6 crotch rocket ....It would start right up and idle but when you cracked the throttle open it would just idle ....We thought ,OK it's just a broken throttle cable....I spent the next 2 hours pulling off the bodywork to get to the aircleaner box under the gas tank.....I pulled the top of the airbox off that had a fuel line attched to 4 Fuel injectors.....Then I had to remove another 8 screws to get the lower half of the airbox off the throttlebody (TB) that had another 4 fuel ijectors in it...This is a 650 with 8 fuel injectors.....Now i can see the throttle cables attached to the TB and they are working perfectly but they still don't open the butterflys in the TB.....I got on the Bike Banit website and pulled up the parts breakdown and the cable operate an accelleration sensor which activates a servo motor to open the butterflys...Then their is another throttle position sensor on the end of the butterfly shaft that tell the computer what to do.....The damn thing is drive by wire !!!! And what is at the beginning of most wires....DUH....A FUSE !!!! Sure enough....I checked the fuses and found a blown 7.5 amp ETC fuse, as in Electronic Throttle Control.....I replaced the fuse and put the airbox back together and BAM....It fired right up and revved like a Bat out of Hell !!!! I spent the next 2 hours putting the bodywork back on .....I don't care if I ever work on another crotch rocket again.... So be thankfull you ride a KLR.....And do yourself a favor and pull the carb off the bike to go through it...It's really not that hard !!!!! In fact I did mine last week and After tearing it completly down, cleaning it, replacing a bad air cutoff diaphram, shimming the needle, drilling the diaphram, adding an adjustable airscrew, and putting a kit in it (THANX FRED !!!) it ran like a top....And it only took me 2 hours to do the whole thing start to finish..... Mike Huber Carlsbad NM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com From: tamarack@... Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 19:36:51 -0700 Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] no power over 4k I am willing to bet he screwed something up... Talk to him for 2 min and you will wonder how he manages to open the front door. ________________________________ From: Craig Kahler To: Jeff Khoury ; Ian Francisco Cc: DSN KLR650 DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com>; "tamarack@..." Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:14 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] no power over 4k It sounds like the slide is not lifting. torn carb diafram or stuck slide. The guy who rebuilt it may have screwed something up. Craig [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mike Huber

no power over 4k

Post by Mike Huber » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:26 am

I came up with the perfect tool for removing those too....I had a set of 12" long needle nose pliers with a 90* at the end and cut off about 3/4 of an inch off the tips... It works great and you won't break the nut trying to turn the carb in the rubber boots....Remove 1 screw that holds the throttle cable bracket and loosen the boot clamps .... I also use a tool for removing radiator hoses to get the carb out and back into the boots....It sure beats trying to work on it on the bike. Mike Huber Carlsbad NM
> From: GMac999@... > To: minoman59@... > Subject: RE: [DSN_KLR650] no power over 4k > Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 23:39:44 -0500 > > And while pulling the carb, if you break the plastic nut holding the > enricher valve off or strip the threads on it, Fred has those too. > > Greg McKinney > Bartlett, TN > > > -----Original Message----- > From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] On > Behalf Of Mike Huber > Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:16 PM > To: tamarack@...; dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: RE: [DSN_KLR650] no power over 4k > > > This is a no power over IDLE story.... > > Be thankfull you ride a KLR.....The other day a friend of mine asked me to > look at his sons Yamaha R6 crotch rocket ....It would start right up and > idle but when you cracked the throttle open it would just idle ....We > thought ,OK it's just a broken throttle cable....I spent the next 2 hours > pulling off the bodywork to get to the aircleaner box under the gas > tank.....I pulled the top of the airbox off that had a fuel line attched to > 4 Fuel injectors.....Then I had to remove another 8 screws to get the lower > half of the airbox off the throttlebody (TB) that had another 4 fuel > ijectors in it...This is a 650 with 8 fuel injectors.....Now i can see the > throttle cables attached to the TB and they are working perfectly but they > still don't open the butterflys in the TB.....I got on the Bike Banit > website and pulled up the parts breakdown and the cable operate an > accelleration sensor which activates a servo motor to open the > butterflys...Then their is another throttle position sensor on the end of > the butterfly shaft that tell the computer what to do.....The damn thing is > drive by wire !!!! And what is at the beginning of most wires....DUH....A > FUSE !!!! Sure enough....I checked the fuses and found a blown 7.5 amp ETC > fuse, as in Electronic Throttle Control.....I replaced the fuse and put the > airbox back together and BAM....It fired right up and revved like a Bat out > of Hell !!!! I spent the next 2 hours putting the bodywork back on .....I > don't care if I ever work on another crotch rocket again.... > > So be thankfull you ride a KLR.....And do yourself a favor and pull the carb > off the bike to go through it...It's really not that hard !!!!! In fact I > did mine last week and After tearing it completly down, cleaning it, > replacing a bad air cutoff diaphram, shimming the needle, drilling the > diaphram, adding an adjustable airscrew, and putting a kit in it (THANX FRED > !!!) it ran like a top....And it only took me 2 hours to do the whole thing > start to finish..... > > Mike Huber > Carlsbad NM > > > > > > > > > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > From: tamarack@... > Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 19:36:51 -0700 > Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] no power over 4k > > > > > > > I am willing to bet he screwed something up... > Talk to him for 2 min and you will wonder how he manages to open the front > door. > > ________________________________ > From: Craig Kahler > To: Jeff Khoury ; Ian Francisco > Cc: DSN KLR650 DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com>; "tamarack@..." > > Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:14 AM > Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] no power over 4k > > > It sounds like the slide is not lifting. torn carb diafram or stuck slide. > The guy who rebuilt it may have screwed something up. > Craig > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > ------------------------------------ > > List Sponsors - Dual Sport News: http://www.dualsportnews.com Arrowhead > Motorsports: http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok: http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR650/app/peoplemap/view/map > Group Apps: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR650/grouplets/subscriptionsYahoo! > Groups Links > > >
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

greg coyle

no power over 4k

Post by greg coyle » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:28 am

has anyone suggested a clogged main jet. these klr's do have a main jet and needle don't they... my experience is with old school mikunis... i don't even have a proper manual yet... i know i know... i shouldn't even be wrenching on it without one... gregc ps... that tip on raising the forks up in the triple clamps helped a whole bunch...thank you...
On 7/24/2012 9:53 PM, Jeff Khoury wrote: > We ought to make a pool to see who's right. > > I have $5.00 on torn diaphragm/stuck slide. > > -Jeff Khoury > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Tam a'Rack" > > To: "DSN KLR650" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > > > Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 7:36:51 PM > Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] no power over 4k > > I am willing to bet he screwed something up... > Talk to him for 2 min and you will wonder how he manages to open the > front door. > > ________________________________ > From: Craig Kahler < ckahleer@... > > To: Jeff Khoury < jeff@... >; Ian > Francisco < ocpianoman@... > > Cc: DSN KLR650 < DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > >; " tamarack@... > " < tamarack@... > > > Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:14 AM > Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] no power over 4k > > It sounds like the slide is not lifting. torn carb diafram or stuck > slide. The guy who rebuilt it may have screwed something up. > Craig > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > >