"ring cotter" (was "a klr review video")

DSN_KLR650
Jeff Khoury

a klr review video

Post by Jeff Khoury » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:15 pm

Hi, Thought I would post this here. Some guy rode his KLR to Prudhoe Bay and did a video review of the KLR he used. He definitely wasn't a happy camper. However, I chalk some of that up to his lack of preparation and a few things he did that did not make much sense. His complaints mostly boiled down to: *The kickstand is too long. *The bike is too light and gets blown around in the wind. *Bolts fall out. *Not enough power. (This one I really had a problem with - and you will probably see my comments on this. He put a 16T sprocket on and loaded the bike like a rented pack mule, then complains that it doesn't have any power) *The bike required a lot of chain maintenance. *He didn't like the low-speed handling when he had everything but the kitchen sink loaded on the bike. A visit to our forum, or any other for that matter would have helped him solve most of these right off the bat but I don't think he's the type that would ask for help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5rd0L6QuHY&lc -Jeff Khoury

ron criswell

a klr review video

Post by ron criswell » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:39 pm

Yeah he really probably wants a fat ass BMW GS, or a fat ass Yamaha tenere, or a fat ass Triumph Tiger so he can load more shit on it so he can be rescued from the mud north of Fairbanks and brag to posers at bike bars at how tough he is. And he gets to brag about the 15 to 20 grand he paid for it (before add on's). Also, why do so many go to the 16 tooth front sprocket? I have cruised all over the place at 5200 rpm stock gearing for hours on end with 54,000miles on the clock. I think it is worse to lug an engine than to go to higher rpm's (to a point). A friend uses a 16 and is always having to abuse the clutch in tougher terrain plus against strong wind, you probably have shift down to 4th. Trust me, in the springtime Texas wind, my 600 pound Concours gets blown around quite a bit. A friend got blown completely off the road in the Big Bend National Park area passing an RV on his ST 1100. He survived but the bike didn't. What does an ST weigh....650 - 700 pounds? Criswell Sent from my iPad
On Mar 22, 2012, at 1:17 PM, Jeff Khoury wrote: > Hi, > > Thought I would post this here. Some guy rode his KLR to Prudhoe Bay and did a video review of the KLR he used. He definitely wasn't a happy camper. > > However, I chalk some of that up to his lack of preparation and a few things he did that did not make much sense. His complaints mostly boiled down to: > > *The kickstand is too long. > > *The bike is too light and gets blown around in the wind. > > *Bolts fall out. > > *Not enough power. (This one I really had a problem with - and you will probably see my comments on this. He put a 16T sprocket on and loaded the bike like a rented pack mule, then complains that it doesn't have any power) > > *The bike required a lot of chain maintenance. > > *He didn't like the low-speed handling when he had everything but the kitchen sink loaded on the bike. > > A visit to our forum, or any other for that matter would have helped him solve most of these right off the bat but I don't think he's the type that would ask for help. > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5rd0L6QuHY&lc > > -Jeff Khoury > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jeff Khoury

a klr review video

Post by Jeff Khoury » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:05 pm

//Also, why do so many go to the 16 tooth front sprocket?// I run a 16T for around town, commuting and freeway stuff because our average freeway speed is frequently north of 75MPH, and it feels much more "comfortable" at that speed with a 16T. However, if I'm going off road or adding 100lbs of luggage and other gear, I put the 15T back on, but then again I'm probably not cruising at 75-80MPH either. 65-70 feels more comfortable. I have the EM prevailing torque nut so changes take all of 10 minutes, chain adjustment included. -Jeff Khoury

ron criswell

a klr review video

Post by ron criswell » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:43 pm

That is what is weird for me. I consistently ride my KLR between 75 & 85 mph indicated and always have for hours on end if on a trip and in local traffic. Some seem to doubt I do that...but truth is big deal with me. I used to worry some about running it at that speed but being in a hurry to get home on a trip, I would keep it at this speed. I asked a friend who teaches small engine repair if this was a bad idea to run this rpm and he said no. Roughly it is 2 thirds of the powerband and he said that is OK. He bought 2 used KLR's and combined them into one good bike. He has done some port work and other stuff and has had his up to 107 mph. He did have one or 2 of those little roller bearings connected to the balancer chain assembly let go at about 75,000 miles (he had his hand on the clutch so kept it from locking up). He also has put a double caliper front brake and I think upside down forks on it. Another friend used to take his KLR to track day and regularly rev his to 8 grand on the tach. He asked me if I thought this was a bad idea. Yes, I thought it was....but his is still going. Anyway, running at roughly 5200 rpm.....you can actually see things in the mirrors. Criswell Sent from my iPad
On Mar 22, 2012, at 5:47 PM, Jeff Khoury wrote: > //Also, why do so many go to the 16 tooth front sprocket?// > > I run a 16T for around town, commuting and freeway stuff because our average freeway speed is frequently north of 75MPH, and it feels much more "comfortable" at that speed with a 16T. > > However, if I'm going off road or adding 100lbs of luggage and other gear, I put the 15T back on, but then again I'm probably not cruising at 75-80MPH either. 65-70 feels more comfortable. > > I have the EM prevailing torque nut so changes take all of 10 minutes, chain adjustment included. > > -Jeff Khoury

E Hines

a klr review video

Post by E Hines » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:52 pm

If you want to have real fun on a KLR run a 14 tooth on it. When I go to Arkansas, I change from a 15 to a 14 tooth when the road turns dirt. It is also fun in the city. The KLR is much more responsive with it. ________________________________ From: Jeff Khoury To: DSN KLR650 dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thu, March 22, 2012 6:06:48 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] A KLR review video //Also, why do so many go to the 16 tooth front sprocket?// I run a 16T for around town, commuting and freeway stuff because our average freeway speed is frequently north of 75MPH, and it feels much more "comfortable" at that speed with a 16T. However, if I'm going off road or adding 100lbs of luggage and other gear, I put the 15T back on, but then again I'm probably not cruising at 75-80MPH either. 65-70 feels more comfortable. I have the EM prevailing torque nut so changes take all of 10 minutes, chain adjustment included. -Jeff Khoury [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

ron criswell

a klr review video

Post by ron criswell » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:39 am

I have a 13 I ran once in Moab. I even rode it with that at 70 mph coming back from Gateway Colorado with some of the Moabians. I like it, it is just a little trouble putting it on. Criswell Sent from my iPad
On Mar 22, 2012, at 8:52 PM, E Hines wrote: > If you want to have real fun on a KLR run a 14 tooth on it. When I go to > Arkansas, I change from a 15 to a 14 tooth when the road turns dirt. It is also > fun in the city. The KLR is much more responsive with it. > > ________________________________ > From: Jeff Khoury > To: DSN KLR650 dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Thu, March 22, 2012 6:06:48 PM > Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] A KLR review video > > //Also, why do so many go to the 16 tooth front sprocket?// > > I run a 16T for around town, commuting and freeway stuff because our average > freeway speed is frequently north of 75MPH, and it feels much more "comfortable" > at that speed with a 16T. > > However, if I'm going off road or adding 100lbs of luggage and other gear, I put > the 15T back on, but then again I'm probably not cruising at 75-80MPH either. > 65-70 feels more comfortable. > > I have the EM prevailing torque nut so changes take all of 10 minutes, chain > adjustment included. > > -Jeff Khoury > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

martin polach

a klr review video

Post by martin polach » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:44 am

150 lbs of gear??????? What possibly could he have taken? Seems like a self centered, little rich kid! Caught a glimpse of his car...Aston Martin? I did the trip a couple of years ago....About 35 lbs of gear(still felt as though I had too much) Found the KLR to be an ideal combination of utility,Fun!,and economy! Takes all kinds Marting Sent from my iPad

Jeff Khoury

a klr review video

Post by Jeff Khoury » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:07 am

Yeah, that's a lot of stuff. I went on a 2 1/2 week odyssey last fall and only took about 60lbs, and that included my tools, compressor, laptop, some booze and other chachkes for family and friends that I visited along the way, etc. I can't imagine what 150lbs of dead weight would be like on a trip of that magnitude. It's like ADV riding with your thick girlfriend on the back. (no offense to thick girlfriends) -Jeff Khoury
----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin Polach" To: "DSN KLR650" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, March 23, 2012 7:40:13 AM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: A KLR review video 150 lbs of gear??????? What possibly could he have taken? Seems like a self centered, little rich kid! Caught a glimpse of his car...Aston Martin? I did the trip a couple of years ago....About 35 lbs of gear(still felt as though I had too much) Found the KLR to be an ideal combination of utility,Fun!,and economy! Takes all kinds Marting Sent from my iPad

Eddie

a klr review video

Post by Eddie » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:12 pm

The guy probably watched Long Way Round one too many times and thought, "I can do someting like that solo!". Then he went about it with too much gear and no sense of humor. ;)
----- Original Message ----- > From: "Martin Polach" 150 lbs of gear??????? What possibly could he have taken? Seems like a self centered, little rich kid! Caught a glimpse of his car...Aston Martin? I did the trip a couple of years ago.... About 35 lbs of gear(still felt as though I had too much) Found the KLR to be an ideal combination of utility,Fun!,and economy! > > Takes all kinds > > Marting

RobertWichert

a klr review video

Post by RobertWichert » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Maybe he should have tried the ride on his crotch rocket. That would have been funny. Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 ===============================================
On 3/22/2012 11:17 AM, Jeff Khoury wrote: > > Hi, > > Thought I would post this here. Some guy rode his KLR to Prudhoe Bay > and did a video review of the KLR he used. He definitely wasn't a > happy camper. > > However, I chalk some of that up to his lack of preparation and a few > things he did that did not make much sense. His complaints mostly > boiled down to: > > *The kickstand is too long. > > *The bike is too light and gets blown around in the wind. > > *Bolts fall out. > > *Not enough power. (This one I really had a problem with - and you > will probably see my comments on this. He put a 16T sprocket on and > loaded the bike like a rented pack mule, then complains that it > doesn't have any power) > > *The bike required a lot of chain maintenance. > > *He didn't like the low-speed handling when he had everything but the > kitchen sink loaded on the bike. > > A visit to our forum, or any other for that matter would have helped > him solve most of these right off the bat but I don't think he's the > type that would ask for help. > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5rd0L6QuHY&lc > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5rd0L6QuHY&lc> > > -Jeff Khoury > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]