[dsn_klr650] battery or alternator????

DSN_KLR650
Jimmy James

aluminum panniers

Post by Jimmy James » Sun Jun 10, 2001 10:57 pm

anybody know the dimensions of the happy trails panniers? thanx in advance, james. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

kailwathne

aluminum panniers

Post by kailwathne » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:16 pm

Earlier this year I manufactured two sets of aluminum panniers for my annual Utah ride. I have an extra set for sale if anyone is interested. I will post some pictures in the photos under Kails boxes. The original set is still on my bike and looking sharp. Kail A12

scottybm2

aluminum panniers

Post by scottybm2 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:27 pm

I want to purchase a set of these bad boys but before I do, I'd like to see a bike (KLR) with them on it, and maybe even sit on the thing with them mounted. Does anyone live anywhere close to Coos Bay, Oregon and have some mounted that I could check out? This is a major expense and want to make an informed decision on buying them. Thanks in advance, Scotty

Ken Stone

aluminum panniers

Post by Ken Stone » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:56 am

Scott, A thought I went throught the same thought process as you and went with Jakes Pelican cases. I am not sorry at all. I sat on a bike with happy trails panniers and felt like I was pulling a trailer. The panniers will hold more but are considerably larger, wider and heavier. The pelican case will not hold as much but are quite a bit lighter, wont bend if hit, and are just a hair less wider than the handlebars. They also sit a lot higher. For everyday commuting and short trip use - The pelican cases are the way to go. I think the panniers are better suited to long distance/living out of your bike for weeks kind of trips. You can see pictures of them at www.sagebrushmachine.com. They also come in a couple different sizes. - Ken
--- On Tue 01/20, scottybm2 < scottybm2@... > wrote: I'd like to see a bike with them on it, and maybe even sit on the thing with them mounted. Does anyone live anywhere close to Coos Bay, _______________________________________________ Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com The most personalized portal on the Web!

Lujo Bauer

aluminum panniers

Post by Lujo Bauer » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:31 pm

I would suggest otherwise. I've used Givi cases, BMW system cases, and Zega aluminum panniers, and the Zega aluminum boxes were by far the most useful and convenient on a day-to-day basis. If you just want to toss a few things in your pannier, it's much easier to do when the opening is on the top than on the sides. Ditto for the square shape -- makes it much easier to pack cereal and milk on the way home from the grocery store. If you're going on a trip then spending a few more minutes to pack doesn't matter, so side-loading cases work equally well. Most aluminum panniers you mount yourself so you can position them as you like. My Zega boxes sat pretty high -- their bottom was barely below the bottom edge of the Happy Trails rack. And as for durability, I think it's a wash. I knocked a chunk out of a Givi bag by catching a broken curb with it, but not before the hit shifted the bike half a foot to the side. The Givi case remained usable. In a couple of medium-speed off-road falls, the Zega panneirs came through flawlessly, even though the Happy Trails rack needed some serious straightening afterward. I'm sure that Pelican cases are a good choice for many, but for my purposes aluminum panniers are definitely better. -Lujo Ken Stone wrote:
> Scott, A thought > > I went throught the same thought process as you and went with Jakes Pelican cases. I am not sorry at all. I sat on a bike with happy trails panniers and felt like I was pulling a trailer. The panniers will hold more but are considerably larger, wider and heavier. The pelican case will not hold as much but are quite a bit lighter, wont bend if hit, and are just a hair less wider than the handlebars. They also sit a lot higher. For everyday commuting and short trip use - The pelican cases are the way to go. I think the panniers are better suited to long distance/living out of your bike for weeks kind of trips. You can see pictures of them at www.sagebrushmachine.com. They also come in a couple different sizes. > > - Ken

George Basinet

aluminum panniers

Post by George Basinet » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:15 pm

Pannierers, The February issue of Motorcycle Consumers News has a report by Dr. Gordon Frazier on aluminum panniers. George Escondido, CA
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Stone" To: Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 9:56 AM Subject: RE: [DSN_klr650] Aluminum Panniers > > Scott, A thought > > I went throught the same thought process as you and went with Jakes Pelican cases. I am not sorry at all. I sat on a bike with happy trails panniers and felt like I was pulling a trailer. The panniers will hold more but are considerably larger,

Riley

aluminum panniers

Post by Riley » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:55 pm

If you order the Happy Trails cases you can get them made any size you want. I mounted them myself, so you can also mount them at any height you want. Love em! Riley A15 Montreal Ken Stone wrote: Snip The panniers will hold more but are considerably larger, wider and heavier. The pelican case will not hold as much but are quite a bit lighter, wont bend if hit, and are just a hair less wider than the handlebars. They also sit a lot higher. Snip Lujo Bauer wrote:
>I would suggest otherwise. > >I've used Givi cases, BMW system cases, and Zega aluminum panniers, and >the Zega aluminum boxes were by far the most useful and convenient on a >day-to-day basis. If you just want to toss a few things in your >pannier, it's much easier to do when the opening is on the top than on >the sides. Ditto for the square shape -- makes it much easier to pack >cereal and milk on the way home from the grocery store. If you're going >on a trip then spending a few more minutes to pack doesn't matter, so >side-loading cases work equally well. Most aluminum panniers you mount >yourself so you can position them as you like. My Zega boxes sat pretty >high -- their bottom was barely below the bottom edge of the Happy >Trails rack. And as for durability, I think it's a wash. I knocked a >chunk out of a Givi bag by catching a broken curb with it, but not >before the hit shifted the bike half a foot to the side. The Givi case >remained usable. In a couple of medium-speed off-road falls, the Zega >panneirs came through flawlessly, even though the Happy Trails rack >needed some serious straightening afterward. > >I'm sure that Pelican cases are a good choice for many, but for my >purposes aluminum panniers are definitely better. > >-Lujo > > >Ken Stone wrote: > > >>Scott, A thought >> >>I went throught the same thought process as you and went with Jakes Pelican cases. I am not sorry at all. I sat on a bike with happy trails panniers and felt like I was pulling a trailer. The panniers will hold more but are considerably larger, wider and heavier. The pelican case will not hold as much but are quite a bit lighter, wont bend if hit, and are just a hair less wider than the handlebars. They also sit a lot higher. For everyday commuting and short trip use - The pelican cases are the way to go. I think the panniers are better suited to long distance/living out of your bike for weeks kind of trips. You can see pictures of them at www.sagebrushmachine.com. They also come in a couple different sizes. >> >>- Ken >> >> > > > >
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Fred Hink

aluminum panniers

Post by Fred Hink » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:03 pm

Is that Dr. Gregory Frazier's long lost brother? ;-) Fred
----- Original Message ----- From: "George Basinet" To: ; Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 4:15 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Aluminum Panniers > Pannierers, > > The February issue of Motorcycle Consumers News has a report by Dr. Gordon > Frazier on aluminum panniers. > > George > Escondido, CA > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Ken Stone" > To: > Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 9:56 AM > Subject: RE: [DSN_klr650] Aluminum Panniers > > > > > > Scott, A thought > > > > I went throught the same thought process as you and went with Jakes > Pelican cases. I am not sorry at all. I sat on a bike with happy trails > panniers and felt like I was pulling a trailer. The panniers will hold more > but are considerably larger, > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > To visit your group on the web, go to: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_klr650/ > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > >

George Basinet

aluminum panniers

Post by George Basinet » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:33 pm

Nice thing about getting old you'll never forget what's his name. George Escondido, Ca . . .'it's easier to get older than it is to get wiser.'
----- Original Message ----- From: "Fred Hink" To: "George Basinet" Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 5:03 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Aluminum Panniers > Is that Dr. Gregory Frazier's long lost brother? ;-) > > Fred > >

Mike T

aluminum panniers

Post by Mike T » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:24 pm

Hi. At DVDaze I checked other luggage pieces that were not metal. The Happy Trail panniers I have, including the lid and two medium rubberized Master locks weigh about 9.5 pounds each. The luggage owners I queried thought they were light. My mounting gear w/ extended Allen -head screws weights about 6.5 pounds. I am VERY pleased w/ my canyon cut panniers from Happy Trails. The HD non-metal cases I checked weighed more, the similar volume non-armored type bags felt about the same in weight, and the mini hard bags felt only a bit lighter. So in real life, they are not heavy for a hard pannier. The only real way to cut weight is to go soft bag w/ minimal interior framework, or no frame work at all. One other BIG advantage w/ Happy Trail - The mounting framework (which I leave on all the time) is a crash guard, and it is tough! Mike T A16 Las Vegas -----Original Message----- From: gr|ne Kamel A16 [mailto:gruenes_kamel@...] Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 5:43 AM To: z89101@... Subject: Re: Fwd: RE: [DSN_klr650] Aluminum Panniers-weight, and what is weight of Pelican system? Mike, I read your comments (at lest I think your comments) on the Happy Trail panniers I was a little surprised by the weight. If you decide to get something different and want to sell the Happy Trails I sure have a interest in them. The 600+$$s new is just a little steep for this Kamel rider. What a great excuss to make a ride to Las Vegas. When it warms up ( have a great respect and admiration for our fellow KLRers who ride with studded tires in -deg weather but) Curt
> Subject: RE: [DSN_klr650] Aluminum Panniers-weight, > and what is weight of Pelican system? > > Purely a guess, but I'm guessing they would weigh > more than aluminum. > > I have a few Pelikan boxes, excellent stuff for > sure, but a case that > is about 3" deep and the size roughly of a small > briefcase weighs a > TON. You can't kill it though, great laptop case > for the careless. > > > I weighed my Happy Trail aluminum panniers, canyon > cut models, and the > > mounting assembly- 25.5 pounds. They came with my > bike. I do NOT like > > excess > > weight. If it was my money, and in my riding > situation, I would use > > lighter > > systems - the next Q - how much do the Pelicans > and mounting chassis > > weigh? > > > > > > Mike T. > > A16 > > Las Vegas > > > > >
Curt Rosenkranz 94 Wing : KLR A16 Hwy 44W In the Black Hills of SD _____ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool. http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21608/*http:/webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/> Try it! [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]