nklr: looking for riding amigos for baja and/or copper canyon

DSN_KLR650
John Laybolt

new klr

Post by John Laybolt » Sun Apr 09, 2000 7:36 pm

Hi All, I just picked up my new KLR650 on Friday, a long cold 64 kms on the clock so far. Unfortunatly it snowed on saturday so my riding plans for the weekend were cancelled. One of the disadvantages of Canadian spring. At least I've got the bike home in the garage safe and sound! On my brief trip home I noticed something that concerns me a bit. When approaching a light, I slowly downshift through the gears and stop. At this point the bike makes a queer little tapping noise for about 5 seconds then it goes away. If I blip the throttle it stops. I have not heard it do this any other time, warming up, idling and running seem fine. But that little noise is there after I downshift and come to a stop. It sure sounds like an engine noise, like a valve tapping briefly. Anyone have any ideas? If anyone thinks this is an issue I will contact the dealer. I'm not too confident in the shop so for now I'd like to avoid calling them and get your collective opinions first. I'm probably just being super paraniod, as the bike is new but I guess you can't be too careful. Thanks, John __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com

dobeman@sprint.ca

new klr

Post by dobeman@sprint.ca » Sun Apr 09, 2000 8:45 pm

> paraniod, as the bike is new but I guess you can't be > too careful. >>
Two common rattle spots on my bike are the clutch lever resonates and I now run with no keychains because the extra keys would rattle around. Keep and eye (ear?) out for your rattle though. It wouldn't hurt to take it to the dealer and have them listen for it as well. Karl

Nancy Davis

new klr

Post by Nancy Davis » Sat Jul 22, 2000 4:23 pm

> Hello Bob-I read your post on the KLR site-congrats on the new bike. I am > currently thinking about getting either a KLR 650 or a BMW F650. Since
you
> are also a BMW owner, did you consider the F 650 when you were bike > shopping? If so, what made you choose the KLR? >
Hello Andre, yes I did consider the F650. I rode the F650 at a demo ride, two years ago at Hebert Cycles . There the BMW dealer in Baton Rouge. Nice people, great service dept. I like the looks of the KLR better and I think its more of an off road bike than the F650. Larger gas tank on the KLR, I hate to stop for gas on a ride. Price was not the main reason but it helped. Over $8000 for the BMW 650 is just to much for a bike with tubes & chain. The new BMW GS650 looks good also, I'm sure its a great bike but just not for me. Kawa. dealer gave me the KLR for $4280 + TT&L. I'd buy another BMW if I ever replace my K1100LT as my two up touring ride. Think I'm going to be very happy with the KLR. Good luck with your bike shopping. Bob Clinton, LA. A-15 (88 miles) 96 K1100LT (43,000)

jackkrause@hotmail.com

new klr

Post by jackkrause@hotmail.com » Tue Aug 01, 2000 1:50 pm

I am looking for some help sorting out Kawasaki's latest KLR addition. I live in Alberta, Canada. At two dealers I have come across a new KLR 650 that is different from the traditional model. It has a smaller gas tank, steel rims instead aluminum, a steel swing-arm (I think), a new front brake...there were some other differences as well. No, it was not a KLX. Any idea what Kawasaki is offering here? Is there a reason why they didn't up-date the KLR with the new front brake? Jack

glenn (august)

new klr

Post by glenn (august) » Thu Dec 28, 2000 9:51 am

Hey List, I was on here awhile back when I was considering geting a 2k model KLR. Well I am back as I have picked up a nice 95 model over the holiday weekend. Thoughts on the bike: 1. Brakes....need some help..scary... 2. Kinda top heavy but handles nice on the street. 3. Slight buzz in the bars at around 65..fine at 60. 4. Lots of fun to ride! Have some questions though... On a short off road excursion I dumped it on a hill climb (has basically street rubber on it now) Everything was ok, but I damaged the kickstand switch in the fall. After that, once I put it in gear it would die. I ripped off the remaing part of the wire and let it dangle and it got going again..Can I just tape off the wire and forget about it? Also..the bike runs good but seems to belch a little black smoke when you rev it and backfires a little when engine braking down a hill...jetting? Tuneup? Valves? Finally..bike is all stock save for a supertrapp and is in very nice shape..it has 20,000 street miles...what should I be replacing and or going over on it? Any other listers in hawaii? Happy holidays---aloha--g _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

squidwannabe@hotmail.com

new klr

Post by squidwannabe@hotmail.com » Wed Mar 21, 2001 3:56 pm

Hi I just bought a y2k klr650. What are some cheap knobbies for it ? Anything I should know about in general abouth KLR ? Thanks..

Dale_Johnson@ahm.honda.com

new klr

Post by Dale_Johnson@ahm.honda.com » Wed Mar 21, 2001 5:12 pm

Kenda 270's Dale Johnson Y2K KLR with 25XXX miles
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., squidwannabe@h... wrote: > Hi > > I just bought a y2k klr650. What are some cheap knobbies for it ? > Anything I should know about in general abouth KLR ? > Thanks..

Neil & Shayne Bundren

new klr

Post by Neil & Shayne Bundren » Fri May 18, 2001 1:20 pm

Good Morning. I have been following the escapades here for some time and thoroughly enjoy it. Y'all are definitely not the normal "I am bad because I ride a Harley look-a-like one weekend a month" type that so many of the groups are. In any case, I have been looking at the KLR and researching for several months now. I am about a month away but have a question. When will Kawasaki put out the 2002 model and has anyone heard of possible changes to be made with the new year? As far as the mary jane issue...I would much rather meet someone on the road with a joint in hand than someone with a sixpack? You can at least get around the one driving 15 mph. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

Don Detloff

new klr

Post by Don Detloff » Fri May 18, 2001 1:32 pm

> I am about a month away but have a question. When will > Kawasaki put out the 2002 model and has anyone heard of possible
changes to
> be made with the new year?
The new models usually come out around July. I haven't heard of any changes for 2002. Don Detloff Fair Haven, MI A14

Tom Roper

new klr

Post by Tom Roper » Mon Oct 15, 2001 10:35 am

Looking to buy a '02 KLR this week, my dealer finally got one in. Questions; Who should I check with for a tank bag? Plan on spending 80% time on pavement, 20% fire roads/trails, is the stock skid plate & shifter ok for that? Anyone make a windshield thats wider than stock? Also expect to get a centerstand, lowering links and SS brake line. Probably a pipe in the near future too. Would like to keep the noise level down tho. Open to suggestions. Tom Roper '98 Concours Mo.