introduction - new rider and new klr 650 owner in northern colorado

DSN_KLR650
neguypdx@hotmail.com

new rider

Post by neguypdx@hotmail.com » Fri Oct 20, 2000 9:42 am

Hi members, I am a relative motorcycle newbie and am looking at purchasing my first bike. I have shopped around a bit, done some web searching, and am wondering what people think of the KLR 650 as a first bike? Of course, there are no used ones around so I would probably be purchasing new. I am also 5-10 and when I sat on the bike at a dealer found myself on my toes. Comfort-wise I would want the bike lowered by getting lowering links. If this isn't the best option for a first bike, I would take any suggestion. This bike seems like a great all 'round bike, though. Thanks! Joe Price Portland, Oregon

Dennis Eastman

new rider

Post by Dennis Eastman » Fri Oct 20, 2000 3:24 pm

I just bought my KLR650 about 2 weeks and 800 miles ago. This is my first bike so I have nothing to compare it to but I am having a blast with it. I am 5' 6" and I had them lowwer the back end as low as they dared and I am able to reach the ground with the balls of my feet. I have been told that a custom Corbin seat would lower me another inch and a half which would be better but still wouldn't be flat footed. If there is lowering kit that I can put on this bike I would appreciate any information on where to get it. I was told that in it's current configuration it would not be a good off-road ride. For now I am taking there word for it until I learn how to handle it on the pavement. I live near Charlotte, NC and there isn't an abundance of places that I can take it off road but I am looking. Thanks, Dennis R. Eastman deast@... 2001 KLR650
--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, neguypdx@h... wrote: > Hi members, > > I am a relative motorcycle newbie and am looking at purchasing my > first bike. I have shopped around a bit, done some web searching, and > am wondering what people think of the KLR 650 as a first bike? > > Of course, there are no used ones around so I would probably be > purchasing new. I am also 5-10 and when I sat on the bike at a dealer > found myself on my toes. Comfort-wise I would want the bike lowered > by getting lowering links. > > If this isn't the best option for a first bike, I would take any > suggestion. This bike seems like a great all 'round bike, though. > > Thanks! > Joe Price > Portland, Oregon

Peter Berghs

new rider

Post by Peter Berghs » Fri Oct 20, 2000 4:22 pm

I think the KLR is a great firt bike. I purchased an A15 this fall after a 15 year dry spell and find it enjoyable, controllable, and affordable. I'm about your size and have no trouble at stop lights. Just lean it over a smidge and I can get either foot down nice and solid. I was thinking about lowering it but now, I think it is good the way it is. Last Sunday I took it out to the OHV play area and had a blast. Its really nice to be able to get out in the dirt without having to worry about a truck and trailer. Go for it but take a safe riding course too. Peter Berghs A 15 "Mishtadim" neguypdx@... wrote:
> > Hi members, > > I am a relative motorcycle newbie and am looking at purchasing my > first bike. I have shopped around a bit, done some web searching, and > am wondering what people think of the KLR 650 as a first bike? > > Of course, there are no used ones around so I would probably be > purchasing new. I am also 5-10 and when I sat on the bike at a dealer > found myself on my toes. Comfort-wise I would want the bike lowered > by getting lowering links. > > If this isn't the best option for a first bike, I would take any > suggestion. This bike seems like a great all 'round bike, though. > > Thanks! > Joe Price > Portland, Oregon > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com

Chris Rivers

new rider

Post by Chris Rivers » Fri Oct 20, 2000 6:28 pm

I am 5' 10'' also and the KLR650 is the first bike I've ever owned. I have absolutely no regrets. Would do it again, and will, but there is only one first bike and for some strange reason I feel fortunate that for me it was the KLR650. I have lowered mine and it made a huge difference in the stability of the bike. I don't miss the clearance lost because of my weight ( 170lbs, clothed to ride) and the way I ride doesn't tax the suspension, much ;>) . Think about staying out of tight areas until you get a feel for the way the mass of the bike gets pushed and pulled around. It was helpful for me to look at it this way, don't go anywhere on the KLR you wouldn't go on a horse, that is about how much room you will need to navigate until you learn how to spin the bike around in place and such. I hope this helps. Tips from a Tyro. Later. Renn A15 (Rocinante)
----- Original Message ----- From: To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com> Sent: Friday, October 20, 2000 9:42 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] New Rider > Hi members, > > I am a relative motorcycle newbie and am looking at purchasing my > first bike. I have shopped around a bit, done some web searching, and > am wondering what people think of the KLR 650 as a first bike? > > Of course, there are no used ones around so I would probably be > purchasing new. I am also 5-10 and when I sat on the bike at a dealer > found myself on my toes. Comfort-wise I would want the bike lowered > by getting lowering links. > > If this isn't the best option for a first bike, I would take any > suggestion. This bike seems like a great all 'round bike, though. > > Thanks! > Joe Price > Portland, Oregon > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > >

closeke@kearney.net

new rider

Post by closeke@kearney.net » Fri Oct 20, 2000 7:00 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, neguypdx@h... wrote:
> Hi members, > > I am a relative motorcycle newbie and am looking at purchasing my > first bike. I have shopped around a bit, done some web searching,
and
> am wondering what people think of the KLR 650 as a first bike? > > Of course, there are no used ones around so I would probably be > purchasing new. I am also 5-10 and when I sat on the bike at a
dealer
> found myself on my toes. Comfort-wise I would want the bike lowered > by getting lowering links. > > If this isn't the best option for a first bike, I would take any > suggestion. This bike seems like a great all 'round bike, though. >
I bought my Klr 650 almost a month and 480 miles ago. It was my first motorcycle. I have been very happy with it so far. It is great for running errands in town. I am 6'5" and have plenty of leg room to spare when stopped so I can't help you with the lowering link question. Craig A15

Judy Baker

new rider

Post by Judy Baker » Wed Oct 25, 2000 12:45 am

i don't mean to sound like a smart ass, but no one is going to give you better advise than i do. Don't buy a new bike. If your real sure that you want a dual sport, find someone that has no vested interests in shops or dealerships and nothing to sell. Get as much advise (have them go shopping with you and buy them lunch). When you talk to people look them eye to eye and listen. If they don't appear to like it, flee from them. There are alot of good used four stroke bikes out there for $2'000. And the great part is when you've outgrown it and go to sell it (in the spring) you'll probably get all of your money back out of it. Or you could be a simple prissy (never eat leftovers) sap and buy new and take it in the butt XX'r type. wopps ramb ranting. The Gez
----- Original Message ----- From: Dennis Eastman To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com> Sent: Friday, October 20, 2000 1:24 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: New Rider > > I just bought my KLR650 about 2 weeks and 800 miles ago. This is my > first bike so I have nothing to compare it to but I am having a blast > with it. I am 5' 6" and I had them lowwer the back end as low as they > dared and I am able to reach the ground with the balls of my feet. I > have been told that a custom Corbin seat would lower me another inch > and a half which would be better but still wouldn't be flat footed. If > there is lowering kit that I can put on this bike I would appreciate > any information on where to get it. I was told that in it's current > configuration it would not be a good off-road ride. For now I am > taking there word for it until I learn how to handle it on the > pavement. I live near Charlotte, NC and there isn't an abundance of > places that I can take it off road but I am looking. > > Thanks, > > Dennis R. Eastman > deast@... > 2001 KLR650 > > --- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, neguypdx@h... wrote: > > Hi members, > > > > I am a relative motorcycle newbie and am looking at purchasing my > > first bike. I have shopped around a bit, done some web searching, > and > > am wondering what people think of the KLR 650 as a first bike? > > > > Of course, there are no used ones around so I would probably be > > purchasing new. I am also 5-10 and when I sat on the bike at a > dealer > > found myself on my toes. Comfort-wise I would want the bike lowered > > by getting lowering links. > > > > If this isn't the best option for a first bike, I would take any > > suggestion. This bike seems like a great all 'round bike, though. > > > > Thanks! > > Joe Price > > Portland, Oregon > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > >

gyb@sprynet.com

new rider

Post by gyb@sprynet.com » Wed Oct 25, 2000 7:22 pm

Joe Price:
> I am a relative motorcycle newbie and am looking at purchasing my > first bike. I have shopped around a bit, done some web searching, > and > am wondering what people think of the KLR 650 as a first bike?
The only problem I can see with the KLR is the reach to the ground, that could make it a little intimidating for new riders. Otherwise, it's light, nimble and handles nicely in most conditions, so it fits what *I* think would be a good first bike.
> Of course, there are no used ones around so I would probably be > purchasing new. I am also 5-10 and when I sat on the bike at a > dealer > found myself on my toes. Comfort-wise I would want the bike lowered > by getting lowering links.
If you haven't found a used KLR in OR/WA, you haven't looked at all. There were quite a few just a few weeks ago, last time I checked the online Cycle Trader. The downside to buying used is that you are taking a chance on your ability to tell a good bike from a not so good one with a limited set of tool. So there is some risk. OTOH, it's a lot cheaper than a new bike, and if it's your first bike and you happen to have some of those "newbie" moments when your bike meets the hard ground, it won't hurt your wallet as much (your pride will be hurt just as badly, though... ;-)
> If this isn't the best option for a first bike, I would take any > suggestion. This bike seems like a great all 'round bike, though.
A good first bike is anything you are comfortable with. If you are intimidated by your bike, you'll never be able to improve your riding skills. Usually, that's a problem I associate with bigger, heavier bikes, but for some people that's not the case. Also, some of the more powerful bikes will get you in trouble by allowing you to reach speeds and accelerations that your braking and turning skills can't match. Which leads to some unintended off-road excursion and an even more intimidated newbie rider. Also, don't forget to leave room in your budget for good riding gear and some extra training. Good gear makes your life on the bike more comfortable and maybe safer. The MSF offers an Experienced Rider Course (ERC, check the PCC schedule), that I think everybody can benefit from. I know this was not what you asked about, but I think it's just as important (or more) than what to buy. If you have paitience to wait another month, wait until the Seattle Motorcycle show (Dec 1-3, I think). Go there, see different types of bikes side by side (and with no sales peopele pressuring you to buy this or that), sit on all the ones you think interest you, see how they feel. You may discover other types of bikes that interest you, or you may decide that the KLR is it. Good luck, Gustavo

new rider

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:26 pm

Hi all, I have been wanting to get a new bike for quite a while now. I have been looking at different bikes and was taken away by the KLR 650 (2003). I am still unable to decide since I do want a dual purpose, with mostly street riding, but can seem to decide which is the best bike to buy. Sicne my finances are really tough to come by I am looking for the safest investment. A bike that would stay with me for a long time. Your comments a good bike for a novice rider are most welcome. Omm

new rider

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:34 am

> Your comments a good bike for a novice rider are most welcome. > Omm
You get the same response if you ask an Islamic person who his favorite Profit is. KLR is a great bike, great deal for the money, and hold their value pretty well. If you don't already own one, hang your head in shame. Seriously, it is a great all round bike. Read the FAQ page here: http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html

TM1669@cs.com

new rider

Post by TM1669@cs.com » Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:34 pm

I was in the same boat you are a year ago. I wanted a bike that was that was good for a beginner and finally decided on the KLR. I bought an 01 and after putting 5k miles with no problems from the bike at all, am very pleased. I think one of the great things about a KLR (or any dual sport) is the fact that you get a chance to learn to ride in the dirt. Once you can successfully negotiate a pretty tough dirt trail it seems to makes riding on the street a lot easier. Crashes hurt a lot less in the dirt too.