foglight w 70watt h3 bulb in place of

DSN_KLR650
Mike Huber

ticka-ticka sounds ???

Post by Mike Huber » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:14 pm

OK, it's on to a new subject .... I've been lurking on the list for awhile, but I've always gotten alot of good info from you guys in the past....I just got back from a 500 mile ride to visit the Trinity site where they tested the first atom bomb on July 16, 1945....It was a great ride other than a few sprinkles and wet roads for about 100 miles and the history lesson wasn't bad either....On the way back home to Carlsbad, I had been running about 5200 rpm till I stopped in Roswell to take a break and when I started the bike back up I heard a "ticka-ticka " sound coming from the top end....the bike was still running smooth but the ticking got louder by the time I got home 75 miles later....I thought that valves got tighter as they wore not looser....Could I have lost a shim ??? I did change the Oil yesterday and the level is still to the top of the sight glass. Mike Huber AKA "Guadzilla" 06 Fully Farkled Frog [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

spike55_bmw

ticka-ticka sounds ???

Post by spike55_bmw » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:06 am

Mike: You can't lose a shim. These are recessed into the top of a 'bucket' and the cam rides on top of it, so they can't get out. It sounds like either the valve clearances are increasing or that the tappets (buckets) / valves are hanging up and the cam lobes are slapping into the tappet (the tappet isn't popping up fast enough after being depressed). Maybe the cam caps aren't tightened down and the cam is flopping around more and more. If the tappets / valves are hanging up maybe things aren't being lubricated properly. Maybe you have too heavy oil in the bike. 20W-50 is gets a bit too heavy in colder weather. Or something else is messing up. Maybe you ought to open it up and check valve clearances, cam cap bolts torque specs, cam timing, etc. I'm sure others have more / better ideas. Don R100, A6F
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Mike Huber wrote: > > > > > OK, it's on to a new subject .... I've been lurking on the list for awhile, but I've always gotten alot of good info from you guys in the past....I just got back from a 500 mile ride to visit the Trinity site where they tested the first atom bomb on July 16, 1945....It was a great ride other than a few sprinkles and wet roads for about 100 miles and the history lesson wasn't bad either....On the way back home to Carlsbad, I had been running about 5200 rpm till I stopped in Roswell to take a break and when I started the bike back up I heard a "ticka-ticka " sound coming from the top end....the bike was still running smooth but the ticking got louder by the time I got home 75 miles later....I thought that valves got tighter as they wore not looser....Could I have lost a shim ??? I did change the Oil yesterday and the level is still to the top of the sight glass. > > > > Mike Huber > > AKA "Guadzilla" > > 06 Fully Farkled Frog > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >

Mike Huber

ticka-ticka sounds ???

Post by Mike Huber » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:41 am

I'm fixing to take it down to my shop this morning and pop the top of it and see what's going on. I'm running Royal Purple 10w-40 synthetic in it so I don't think the oil is the problem. I'll keep you posted to what I find... Thanx, Mike To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com From: spike55_bmw@... Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 16:05:09 +0000 Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Ticka-Ticka sounds ??? Mike: You can't lose a shim. These are recessed into the top of a 'bucket' and the cam rides on top of it, so they can't get out. It sounds like either the valve clearances are increasing or that the tappets (buckets) / valves are hanging up and the cam lobes are slapping into the tappet (the tappet isn't popping up fast enough after being depressed). Maybe the cam caps aren't tightened down and the cam is flopping around more and more. If the tappets / valves are hanging up maybe things aren't being lubricated properly. Maybe you have too heavy oil in the bike. 20W-50 is gets a bit too heavy in colder weather. Or something else is messing up. Maybe you ought to open it up and check valve clearances, cam cap bolts torque specs, cam timing, etc. I'm sure others have more / better ideas. Don R100, A6F
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Mike Huber wrote: > > > > > OK, it's on to a new subject .... I've been lurking on the list for awhile, but I've always gotten alot of good info from you guys in the past....I just got back from a 500 mile ride to visit the Trinity site where they tested the first atom bomb on July 16, 1945....It was a great ride other than a few sprinkles and wet roads for about 100 miles and the history lesson wasn't bad either....On the way back home to Carlsbad, I had been running about 5200 rpm till I stopped in Roswell to take a break and when I started the bike back up I heard a "ticka-ticka " sound coming from the top end....the bike was still running smooth but the ticking got louder by the time I got home 75 miles later....I thought that valves got tighter as they wore not looser....Could I have lost a shim ??? I did change the Oil yesterday and the level is still to the top of the sight glass. > > > > Mike Huber > > AKA "Guadzilla" > > 06 Fully Farkled Frog > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mike Huber

ticka-ticka sounds ???

Post by Mike Huber » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:29 pm

OK ...I checked all the valve clearances and cam cap torque specs (106 in. lbs.) and everything seems to be within spec except I have .009 on one intake ... Sound like it could be the problem ??? Mike To: spike55_bmw@...; dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com From: minoman59@... Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 16:40:55 +0000 Subject: RE: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Ticka-Ticka sounds ??? I'm fixing to take it down to my shop this morning and pop the top of it and see what's going on. I'm running Royal Purple 10w-40 synthetic in it so I don't think the oil is the problem. I'll keep you posted to what I find... Thanx, Mike To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com From: spike55_bmw@... Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 16:05:09 +0000 Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Ticka-Ticka sounds ??? Mike: You can't lose a shim. These are recessed into the top of a 'bucket' and the cam rides on top of it, so they can't get out. It sounds like either the valve clearances are increasing or that the tappets (buckets) / valves are hanging up and the cam lobes are slapping into the tappet (the tappet isn't popping up fast enough after being depressed). Maybe the cam caps aren't tightened down and the cam is flopping around more and more. If the tappets / valves are hanging up maybe things aren't being lubricated properly. Maybe you have too heavy oil in the bike. 20W-50 is gets a bit too heavy in colder weather. Or something else is messing up. Maybe you ought to open it up and check valve clearances, cam cap bolts torque specs, cam timing, etc. I'm sure others have more / better ideas. Don R100, A6F
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Mike Huber wrote: > > > > > OK, it's on to a new subject .... I've been lurking on the list for awhile, but I've always gotten alot of good info from you guys in the past....I just got back from a 500 mile ride to visit the Trinity site where they tested the first atom bomb on July 16, 1945....It was a great ride other than a few sprinkles and wet roads for about 100 miles and the history lesson wasn't bad either....On the way back home to Carlsbad, I had been running about 5200 rpm till I stopped in Roswell to take a break and when I started the bike back up I heard a "ticka-ticka " sound coming from the top end....the bike was still running smooth but the ticking got louder by the time I got home 75 miles later....I thought that valves got tighter as they wore not looser....Could I have lost a shim ??? I did change the Oil yesterday and the level is still to the top of the sight glass. > > > > Mike Huber > > AKA "Guadzilla" > > 06 Fully Farkled Frog > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

transalp 1

ticka-ticka sounds ???

Post by transalp 1 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:39 pm

Faulty cam chain adjuster? Had one go south on a 86' EN450(454 Ltd) and the symptoms were as you describe. Lots of valve clatter noises. It'd be easy to fix, if not entirely inexpensive. eddie
> [Original Message] > From: Mike Huber > To: ; dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com> > Date: 10/4/2009 3:29:17 PM > Subject: RE: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Ticka-Ticka sounds ??? > > > > > OK ...I checked all the valve clearances and cam cap torque specs (106
in. lbs.) and everything seems to be within spec except I have .009 on one intake ... Sound like it could be the problem ???
> > > > Mike > > > > > > To: spike55_bmw@...; dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com > From: minoman59@... > Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 16:40:55 +0000 > Subject: RE: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Ticka-Ticka sounds ??? > > > > > > > > I'm fixing to take it down to my shop this morning and pop the top of it
and see what's going on.
> > I'm running Royal Purple 10w-40 synthetic in it so I don't think the oil
is the problem.
> > I'll keep you posted to what I find... > > Thanx, Mike > > > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > From: spike55_bmw@... > Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 16:05:09 +0000 > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Ticka-Ticka sounds ??? > > Mike: > You can't lose a shim. These are recessed into the top of a 'bucket' and
the cam rides on top of it, so they can't get out.
> > It sounds like either the valve clearances are increasing or that the
tappets (buckets) / valves are hanging up and the cam lobes are slapping into the tappet (the tappet isn't popping up fast enough after being depressed).
> > Maybe the cam caps aren't tightened down and the cam is flopping around
more and more.
> > If the tappets / valves are hanging up maybe things aren't being
lubricated properly. Maybe you have too heavy oil in the bike. 20W-50 is gets a bit too heavy in colder weather. Or something else is messing up.
> > Maybe you ought to open it up and check valve clearances, cam cap bolts
torque specs, cam timing, etc. I'm sure others have more / better ideas.
> > Don R100, A6F > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Mike Huber wrote: > > > > > > > > > > OK, it's on to a new subject .... I've been lurking on the list for
awhile, but I've always gotten alot of good info from you guys in the past....I just got back from a 500 mile ride to visit the Trinity site where they tested the first atom bomb on July 16, 1945....It was a great ride other than a few sprinkles and wet roads for about 100 miles and the history lesson wasn't bad either....On the way back home to Carlsbad, I had been running about 5200 rpm till I stopped in Roswell to take a break and when I started the bike back up I heard a "ticka-ticka " sound coming from the top end....the bike was still running smooth but the ticking got louder by the time I got home 75 miles later....I thought that valves got tighter as they wore not looser....Could I have lost a shim ??? I did change the Oil yesterday and the level is still to the top of the sight glass.
> > > > > > > > Mike Huber > > > > AKA "Guadzilla" > > > > 06 Fully Farkled Frog > > > > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > ------------------------------------ > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650Yahoo! Groups Links > > >

Mike Huber

ticka-ticka sounds ???

Post by Mike Huber » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:13 pm

I changed out the shim from a 255 to a 260 , retorqued everything and fired it up and everything is back to normal again.... But i'm a little confused on why the clearance went to .009 in the first place....I thought shimming to the max clearance was the norm because it usually wears the valve face and clearances get smaller over time....If it gets wider that tells me that my cam lobes are wearing down.... Mike To: spike55_bmw@...; dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com From: minoman59@... Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 19:27:55 +0000 Subject: RE: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Ticka-Ticka sounds ??? OK ...I checked all the valve clearances and cam cap torque specs (106 in. lbs.) and everything seems to be within spec except I have .009 on one intake ... Sound like it could be the problem ??? Mike To: spike55_bmw@...; dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com From: minoman59@... Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 16:40:55 +0000 Subject: RE: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Ticka-Ticka sounds ??? I'm fixing to take it down to my shop this morning and pop the top of it and see what's going on. I'm running Royal Purple 10w-40 synthetic in it so I don't think the oil is the problem. I'll keep you posted to what I find... Thanx, Mike To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com From: spike55_bmw@... Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 16:05:09 +0000 Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Ticka-Ticka sounds ??? Mike: You can't lose a shim. These are recessed into the top of a 'bucket' and the cam rides on top of it, so they can't get out. It sounds like either the valve clearances are increasing or that the tappets (buckets) / valves are hanging up and the cam lobes are slapping into the tappet (the tappet isn't popping up fast enough after being depressed). Maybe the cam caps aren't tightened down and the cam is flopping around more and more. If the tappets / valves are hanging up maybe things aren't being lubricated properly. Maybe you have too heavy oil in the bike. 20W-50 is gets a bit too heavy in colder weather. Or something else is messing up. Maybe you ought to open it up and check valve clearances, cam cap bolts torque specs, cam timing, etc. I'm sure others have more / better ideas. Don R100, A6F
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Mike Huber wrote: > > > > > OK, it's on to a new subject .... I've been lurking on the list for awhile, but I've always gotten alot of good info from you guys in the past....I just got back from a 500 mile ride to visit the Trinity site where they tested the first atom bomb on July 16, 1945....It was a great ride other than a few sprinkles and wet roads for about 100 miles and the history lesson wasn't bad either....On the way back home to Carlsbad, I had been running about 5200 rpm till I stopped in Roswell to take a break and when I started the bike back up I heard a "ticka-ticka " sound coming from the top end....the bike was still running smooth but the ticking got louder by the time I got home 75 miles later....I thought that valves got tighter as they wore not looser....Could I have lost a shim ??? I did change the Oil yesterday and the level is still to the top of the sight glass. > > > > Mike Huber > > AKA "Guadzilla" > > 06 Fully Farkled Frog > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

spike55_bmw

ticka-ticka sounds ???

Post by spike55_bmw » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:07 pm

Mike: Great to 'hear' that you don't seem to have the tick any more. Intake gaps should be between 0.004" - 0.008" (0.10mm - 0.20mm). So, a 0.009" (0.229mm) is out of spec. You increased the thickness of the shim by 0.05mm (2.55mm up to a 2.60mm). This decreased the gap to 0.007" (0.179mm) and that is within spec and apparently addressed the ticking noise. I too am confused why the gap 'grew' while on your trip (cam lobe slapping the shim / tappet assembly that was too short). With mine, I started to recheck the gaps after I put the cam caps back on just to make sure everything is within spec as my calculations predicted but there is a bit of a difference (tighter two or three decimal places in millimeters). Maybe this is due to more oil under the shim or something but it isn't significant enough to worry about. Do / did you double check the final clearances before putting the cover back on? Just curious but it sounds like you've got it but again why did it go bad during the trip? We may never know. Don R100, A6F
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Mike Huber wrote: > > > > > I changed out the shim from a 255 to a 260 , retorqued everything and fired it up and everything is back to normal again.... > > > > But i'm a little confused on why the clearance went to .009 in the first place....I thought shimming to the max clearance was the norm because it usually wears the valve face and clearances get smaller over time....If it gets wider that tells me that my cam lobes are wearing down.... > > > > Mike > > > > > > > To: spike55_bmw@...; dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com > From: minoman59@... > Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 19:27:55 +0000 > Subject: RE: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Ticka-Ticka sounds ??? > > > > > > > > OK ...I checked all the valve clearances and cam cap torque specs (106 in. lbs.) and everything seems to be within spec except I have .009 on one intake ... Sound like it could be the problem ??? > > Mike > > To: spike55_bmw@...; dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com > From: minoman59@... > Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 16:40:55 +0000 > Subject: RE: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Ticka-Ticka sounds ??? > > I'm fixing to take it down to my shop this morning and pop the top of it and see what's going on. > > I'm running Royal Purple 10w-40 synthetic in it so I don't think the oil is the problem. > > I'll keep you posted to what I find... > > Thanx, Mike > > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > From: spike55_bmw@... > Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 16:05:09 +0000 > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Ticka-Ticka sounds ??? > > Mike: > You can't lose a shim. These are recessed into the top of a 'bucket' and the cam rides on top of it, so they can't get out. > > It sounds like either the valve clearances are increasing or that the tappets (buckets) / valves are hanging up and the cam lobes are slapping into the tappet (the tappet isn't popping up fast enough after being depressed). > > Maybe the cam caps aren't tightened down and the cam is flopping around more and more. > > If the tappets / valves are hanging up maybe things aren't being lubricated properly. Maybe you have too heavy oil in the bike. 20W-50 is gets a bit too heavy in colder weather. Or something else is messing up. > > Maybe you ought to open it up and check valve clearances, cam cap bolts torque specs, cam timing, etc. I'm sure others have more / better ideas. > > Don R100, A6F > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Mike Huber wrote: > > > > > > > > > > OK, it's on to a new subject .... I've been lurking on the list for awhile, but I've always gotten alot of good info from you guys in the past....I just got back from a 500 mile ride to visit the Trinity site where they tested the first atom bomb on July 16, 1945....It was a great ride other than a few sprinkles and wet roads for about 100 miles and the history lesson wasn't bad either....On the way back home to Carlsbad, I had been running about 5200 rpm till I stopped in Roswell to take a break and when I started the bike back up I heard a "ticka-ticka " sound coming from the top end....the bike was still running smooth but the ticking got louder by the time I got home 75 miles later....I thought that valves got tighter as they wore not looser....Could I have lost a shim ??? I did change the Oil yesterday and the level is still to the top of the sight glass. > > > > > > > > Mike Huber > > > > AKA "Guadzilla" > > > > 06 Fully Farkled Frog > > > > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >

Martin

ticka-ticka sounds ???

Post by Martin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:38 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "spike55_bmw" wrote:
> > Mike: > Great to 'hear' that you don't seem to have the tick any more. > > Intake gaps should be between 0.004" - 0.008" (0.10mm - 0.20mm). So, a 0.009" (0.229mm) is out of spec. You increased the thickness of the shim by 0.05mm (2.55mm up to a 2.60mm). This decreased the gap to 0.007" (0.179mm) and that is within spec and apparently addressed the ticking noise. > > I too am confused why the gap 'grew' while on your trip (cam lobe slapping the shim / tappet assembly that was too short). With mine, I started to recheck the gaps after I put the cam caps back on just to make sure everything is within spec as my calculations predicted but there is a bit of a difference (tighter two or three decimal places in millimeters). Maybe this is due to more oil under the shim or something but it isn't significant enough to worry about. > > Do / did you double check the final clearances before putting the cover back on? Just curious but it sounds like you've got it but again why did it go bad during the trip? We may never know. > > Don R100, A6F > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Mike Huber wrote: > > > > > > > > > > I changed out the shim from a 255 to a 260 , retorqued everything and fired it up and everything is back to normal again.... > > > > > > > > But i'm a little confused on why the clearance went to .009 in the first place....I thought shimming to the max clearance was the norm because it usually wears the valve face and clearances get smaller over time....If it gets wider that tells me that my cam lobes are wearing down.... > > > > > > > > Mike
Mike- Is it possible that the shim that measured '.009 clnc shim' was not a full 255? It has been known that some of the shims are not a full-spec--regardless what is marked on the shim and with an assumption that the shim marked 255 was a full 255, etc, you might have been out of spec when you/last person to do the valve inspection put it all together. It is also possible that the shim was 'soft' and the clnc actually opened up--or as previously thought--the cam is wearing. Before installation, we measure every shim with a digital vernier, to see if the numbers on the shim agree with the caliper. It might be interesting to measure the shim with a barrel-type caliper to see if it is the same thickness at the edge, as well as the center where the cam touches. revmaaatin.

Mike Huber

ticka-ticka sounds ???

Post by Mike Huber » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:59 pm

> > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Mike Huber wrote: > > > > > > > > > > I changed out the shim from a 255 to a 260 , retorqued everything and fired it up and everything is back to normal again.... > > > > > > > > But i'm a little confused on why the clearance went to .009 in the first place....I thought shimming to the max clearance was the norm because it usually wears the valve face and clearances get smaller over time....If it gets wider that tells me that my cam lobes are wearing down.... > > > > > > > > Mike
Mike- Is it possible that the shim that measured '.009 clnc shim' was not a full 255? It has been known that some of the shims are not a full-spec--regardless what is marked on the shim and with an assumption that the shim marked 255 was a full 255, etc, you might have been out of spec when you/last person to do the valve inspection put it all together. It is also possible that the shim was 'soft' and the clnc actually opened up--or as previously thought--the cam is wearing. Before installation, we measure every shim with a digital vernier, to see if the numbers on the shim agree with the caliper. It might be interesting to measure the shim with a barrel-type caliper to see if it is the same thickness at the edge, as well as the center where the cam touches. revmaaatin. Rev, you might be right...If I recall when I did the last valve adjustment there was one shim that I had to borrow from a friend of mine that used to have the Kaw dealership here and I'm almost sure it wasn't a new shim...I'll be sure to measure them from now on when I do the adjustments... Thanx, Mike __.Thatt_,_.___ Messages in this topic (11) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required) Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe Recent Activity 9 New Members 3 New PhotosVisit Your Group Give Back Yahoo! for Good Get inspired by a good cause. Y! Toolbar Get it Free! easy 1-click access to your groups. Yahoo! Groups Start a group in 3 easy steps. Connect with others. . [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

k650

ticka-ticka sounds ???

Post by k650 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:08 pm

> It might be interesting to measure the shim with a barrel-type caliper to > see if it is the same thickness at the edge, as well as the center where > the cam touches. > > revmaaatin. >
That would be interesting. They are probably ground parallel although it could be possible they are convex. Automotive lifters of yore were not flat but ground on about a 30 inch radius to promote rotation for even wear. Walt Atheism --- is a non-prophet organization.