klr650: wascally wobbely wobble solved ( for me anyway )

DSN_KLR650
Scherer, Michael

oil filter

Post by Scherer, Michael » Tue May 30, 2000 3:46 pm

There was a string a while ago about aftermarket oil filters. What is the part number for the FRAM or WIX that will fit the KLR? I want to buy it at the parts store and get the o-ring included. Biker Mike (I hope I wasn't dreaming this).

D.J. Rogers

oil filter

Post by D.J. Rogers » Tue May 30, 2000 7:29 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, "Scherer, Michael" wrote:
> There was a string a while ago about aftermarket oil filters. What
is the
> part number for the FRAM or WIX that will fit the KLR? I want to
buy it at
> the parts store and get the o-ring included. > > Biker Mike (I hope I wasn't dreaming this).
Mike, I believe the P/N for the Fram filter is CH6070. I haven't bought one myself (yet) but it should come with the 'O' ring. For more info, check out this link to the KLR650 Archives. It has a comparison chart with P/N's for the various oil filter brands. http://www.geocities.com/~klrdsn/page49.html Cheers, D. GBG eh14

Jeff Gronert

oil filter

Post by Jeff Gronert » Thu Aug 24, 2000 11:17 pm

From: "Harry Thames" Subject: Re: WOW! Harry wrote, . I ordered Fram filters for my KLR from the local Advance Auto for around $5 each and Harry, Do you have the Fram part# for KLR oil filter? is it 6070 or 6071 want to order and their not sure. Does Purolator make one? They do for my VTR and I like it better than the Fram. Thanks Jeff,

closeke@kearney.net

oil filter

Post by closeke@kearney.net » Wed Oct 25, 2000 5:21 pm

Does the '01 use the same oil filters as previous years? The dealer's microfische only went from 92-99 models. I want to be sure it is the right one before I drain the oil. Don't want to wait for parts. Is a Fram one better than the a stock one from the dealer? I noticed in the database that a large number of you run a Fram. What is the part # of the Fram oil filter for the KLR650? On Fred's website for Arrowhead I saw a lifetime stainless steel oil filter from HP. Has anyone tried one of these? Craig A15

Kurt Simpson

oil filter

Post by Kurt Simpson » Wed Oct 25, 2000 5:34 pm

> Does the '01 use the same oil filters as previous years? > The dealer's microfische only went from 92-99 models. I > want to be sure it is the right one before I drain the oil. > Don't want to wait for parts. > > Is a Fram one better than the a stock one from the dealer? I > noticed in the database that a large number of you run a Fram. > What is the part # of the Fram oil filter for the KLR650? > > On Fred's website for Arrowhead I saw a lifetime stainless > steel oil filter from HP. Has anyone tried one of these?
I use Fred's K&P's on all of my bikes except the Guzzi and have every confidence in them. The heresay on Fram is the quality has greatly diminished over the years. Robert Kaub is the list's filter guru... Kurt

mark weaver

oil filter

Post by mark weaver » Wed Oct 25, 2000 5:34 pm

oil filter is the same. i think people use fram because they're more available and generally cheaper than from the dealer, plus they come with an extra o-ring, in case you're a ham-fisted thug and destroy the original (mine is still going strong after 10-15 oil changes). don't know about the stainless ones. i hate using solvent to clean anything, so i've never tried one. mw
> -----Original Message----- > From: closeke@... [mailto:closeke@...] > Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2000 3:21 PM > To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com > Subject: [DSN_klr650] OIL FILTER > > > Does the '01 use the same oil filters as previous years? > The dealer's microfische only went from 92-99 models. I > want to be sure it is the right one before I drain the oil. > Don't want to wait for parts. > > Is a Fram one better than the a stock one from the dealer? I > noticed in the database that a large number of you run a Fram. > What is the part # of the Fram oil filter for the KLR650? > > On Fred's website for Arrowhead I saw a lifetime stainless > steel oil filter from HP. Has anyone tried one of these? > > Craig > A15 > > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > >

Tom Myers

oil filter

Post by Tom Myers » Wed Oct 25, 2000 9:28 pm

>I want to be sure it is the >right one before I drain the oil. >Don't want to wait for parts.
It's better to change the oil than to wait for a filter. Breakdown of your oil is more chemical-related than particle-related. However, if this is your FIRST oil change then *for sure* you should change the filter (and inspect for metal shavings).
>Is a Fram better than the a stock one from the dealer?
That's hard to say. I don't know of any testing of Kawasaki filters. Fram, like Pennzoil spends a lot of your purchase price educating you that Fram is good. I think the bottom line is, if you can get Fram filters easily, and this ease (or economy) results in *changing your oil more often* then you will benefit from using Fram. Any filter choice or oil flavor which prevents you from changing the oil often will result in greater engine wear. I saw one post from a guy who was having a crisis dumping out his expensive oil at proper intervals. No surprise to me, brother! I use Castrol, and I change it often (when honey-brown). I do the filter every other or third time. However if you run the oil until fully spunked you might want to do the filter every time. Tom -- +---------------------------------------------+ | CycoActive Products | 701 34th Ave | Seattle, WA 98122 USA | | Design/Manufacture of Motorcycling Accessories | Products website: http://www.cycoactive.com/mc | e-mail: moto@... | tel (206) 323-2349 fax (206) 325-6016 | trail tips website: http://www.cycoactive.com/mc/trail_tips +---------------------------------------------+

Tumu Rock

oil filter

Post by Tumu Rock » Thu Oct 26, 2000 2:58 am

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000 22:21:04 -0000, closeke@... wrote: Is a Fram one better than the a stock one from the dealer? I noticed in the database that a large number of you run a Fram. What is the part # of the Fram oil filter for the KLR650? Craig A15 >>>>>>>>>>>>> I think the part number is CH6070 for the Fram but I'm sick and at work so I could be wrong.... dat brooklyn bum _______________________________________________________ Say Bye to Slow Internet! http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html

rkaub@binghamton.edu

oil filter

Post by rkaub@binghamton.edu » Thu Oct 26, 2000 8:04 am

The Fram #CH6070 and Wix #24951 oil filters are both made by the same third party manufacturer in Canada. After some modest research, I have been unable to find out who it is, though. The nice thing about these filters is that they include a new o-ring and they can be had at most auto parts stores for between five and six US$. Recently another lister posted that the NAPA #4951 filter fits the KLR. I haven't encountered this filter yet and don't know anything about it except it is supposed to include the o-ring. The following address has a relatively informal filter comparison I did a couple of years ago. I eventually used all the test filters in my bike without incident. My personal choice is either Fram or Wix because they are easy to get. Thanks. http://www.geocities.com/~klrdsn/page49.html Bob Kaub

rkaub@binghamton.edu

oil filter

Post by rkaub@binghamton.edu » Thu Oct 26, 2000 9:39 am

At 09:25 AM 10/26/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I have tried the NAPA filter and it also says made in Canada. >It's probably the same as the others. >It was $5 plus change.
>>>> Joe: I'm curious if the manufacturer's code on the NAPA filter looked anything like: 7J02 or 7H01 These are the mfgr's codes from the Fram and Wix filters I used. A similar code would likely mean that NAPA is buying their filter from the same place as the others. Thanks. Bob Kaub