[dsn_klr650] motorcycle magic act - not good thing

DSN_KLR650
Lou B. DeSimone

helmets

Post by Lou B. DeSimone » Tue May 16, 2000 5:50 pm

If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, consider buying a helmet from BMW of San Fransicso. Last time I spoke to them, compared prices, and bought a helmet (I'm an Arai-head), they decided to forget about competition and sell all their helments for 15% above cost. Lou DeSimone '97 KLR650

cuda036@aol.com

helmets

Post by cuda036@aol.com » Wed May 17, 2000 11:54 pm

Brad, Bell Moto 3 and Moto 4 will protect your head, from first hand experience. They are loud on road yet will make up for it when offroad. Virgil

Van

helmets

Post by Van » Sat May 20, 2000 4:04 pm

I was wondering what would be a good helmet to buy?

Jeff Earle

helmets

Post by Jeff Earle » Mon Jun 12, 2000 5:24 pm

I purchased my HJC LT-12 Ultra a short time ago. It is both Snell M95 & DOT approved. XL fits my head well, it's light and well vented. Hopefully cool enough for the central Cal. riding scene. Mine is tagged "made in Korea". It is also my fourth, I have been please with them all. Just make sure whatever you choose is tested, approved and fits well. Jeff A7L

Ralph E. Hanson

helmets

Post by Ralph E. Hanson » Sat Nov 25, 2000 9:36 am

A great way to check out helmets is to go to the International Motorcycle Show nearst you. You'll have a chance to try on almost any helmet in any size. Then you can mailorder or buy from your local dealer with confidence. And you don't have any of those moral problems of trying on helmets at one store and buying it at another. That's how I picked my RF800. Ralph Ralph E. Hanson 99 KRL 650 http://www.wvu.edu/~journal2

jirvine78@hotmail.com

helmets

Post by jirvine78@hotmail.com » Sun Mar 25, 2001 8:55 pm

Good point about helmet getting aged, I guess like cheese. Anyway I bought an HJC LT12 that MCN rated as better than many of the higher priced lids. The LT12 retails around $240 but I picked mine up on Ebay for around $150 delivered. Been very happy with it. Before that I had an AGV top of the line and this feels better.

gyb@sprynet.com

helmets

Post by gyb@sprynet.com » Mon Mar 26, 2001 12:13 am

Unnamed Newbie:
>I have just purchased a '01 KLR 650 and now trying to figure out the >best helmet situation. Full face, open face, 1/2 shell, shorty or MX?
I'd recommend a full face helmet. Both street or MX style will work, depending on the type of riding you do, one might be better suited to you than the other. If you go with an MX style helmet, goggles would be a good idea to protect your eyes.
>Anyone out there have decent used helmets you want sold?
I have seen several posts about were to buy a used helmet. Here is my take on it. A used helmet is worth less than $0 to me. It's probably the single most important piece of safety gear you'll own. From the post, I'm guessing the bike purchase ate most of your budget, but I'd say do yourself a favor and buy a good *new* helmet. You never know where it's been or what happened to the "as good as new" used helmet you are buying. Some people don't know it's defective. It's very difficult to check, even by people who make helmets for a living, without tearing it apart or knowing exactly what to look for in a scan. There are plenty of good and not outrageously expensive helmets. Some HJC models come to mind as a great value, but there are many others. Try the helmet on. Wear it for at least 15 minutes to see if it does not create any pressure spots you can not live with. The worst thing would be buying a new helmet that does not fit right and will be uncomfortable to use. It's supposed to be tight, but cause you discomfort. It will become looser with time, keep that in mind. YHead'sValueMV, Gustavo

Thomas Baumen

helmets

Post by Thomas Baumen » Mon Mar 26, 2001 9:25 am

As far as Helmets go these days, yes you should replace them regularly,,,,at least every 3 to 5 years depending on where you live and ride. If you ride year round in Arizona I would go for 3 years because of OZONE. But we are in a great time for helmet buying these days. The first item is safety and for me Snell is it. So I can buy a comfortable good looking Snell 95 or 2000 helmet for under $150.00 any day of the week so why wouldn't I replace it every few years. Around here(Oregon) it seems like the dealers are always closing out a model. Shoei 800s are going for $200 right now and I bought my wife and myself matching HJC CL11 models last year for $90.00 each on close out. I tell you the HJC helmets are a very nice helmet,,, I would say as nice a an Arai was 5 years ago. I also have a Bieffe BR16 that cost $190 two years ago and it seems like they are just getting better in quality and comfort compare to a Bieffe I had before. The Bieffe America has a close out section and has a lot of helmets at very good deal right now so there is no good excuse to not replace the brain bucket every 3 to 5 years. I take my used ones and use them for target practice. I don't want it on my conscious that I sold or gave away a worn out hard foam helmet and made some poor guy feel safe when he may not have been. Tom Baumen

Susan Moorhead

helmets

Post by Susan Moorhead » Mon Mar 26, 2001 9:39 pm

Tom, I'll pay a little more, and stick with my Bell. Their add sums it up pretty well. "Got a $10.00 dollar head, wear a $10.00 helmet." Just my .02 worth Marshall in OK '95 KLXC3
----- Original Message ----- From: Thomas Baumen To: KLR DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 9:25 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] HELMETS > As far as Helmets go these days, yes you should replace them > regularly,,,,at least every 3 to 5 years depending on where you live > and ride. If you ride year round in Arizona I would go for 3 years > because of OZONE. > But we are in a great time for helmet buying these days. The first > item is safety and for me Snell is it. So I can buy a comfortable good > looking Snell 95 or 2000 helmet for under $150.00 any day of the week > so why wouldn't I replace it every few years. Around here(Oregon) it > seems like the dealers are always closing out a model. Shoei 800s are > going for $200 right now and I bought my wife and myself matching HJC > CL11 models last year for $90.00 each on close out. I tell you the HJC > helmets are a very nice helmet,,, I would say as nice a an Arai was 5 > years ago. I also have a Bieffe BR16 that cost $190 two years ago and > it seems like they are just getting better in quality and comfort > compare to a Bieffe I had before. The Bieffe America has a close out > section and has a lot of helmets at very good deal right now so there > is no good excuse to not replace the brain bucket every 3 to 5 years. > I take my used ones and use them for target practice. I don't want it > on my conscious that I sold or gave away a worn out hard foam helmet > and made some poor guy feel safe when he may not have been. > Tom Baumen > > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ >

Andrus Chesley

helmets

Post by Andrus Chesley » Mon Mar 26, 2001 10:00 pm

Hate to say it but the high dollars don't mean your getting the best helmet for yourself. Just a myth... As long as they past DOT and fit good. Andy C Who was wearing helmets when they were the pudding types made from aluminum in the late 50's.. And one of the first in this area to go with full hats in the 70's
----- Original Message ----- From: "Susan Moorhead" To: "Thomas Baumen" Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 9:36 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] HELMETS > Tom, > > I'll pay a little more, and stick with my Bell. Their add sums it up pretty > well. "Got a $10.00 dollar head, wear a $10.00 helmet." > > Just my .02 worth > > Marshall in OK > '95 KLXC3 > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Thomas Baumen > To: KLR DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 9:25 AM > Subject: [DSN_klr650] HELMETS > > > > As far as Helmets go these days, yes you should replace them > > regularly,,,,at least every 3 to 5 years depending on where you live > > and ride. If you ride year round in Arizona I would go for 3 years > > because of OZONE. > > But we are in a great time for helmet buying these days. The first > > item is safety and for me Snell is it. So I can buy a comfortable good > > looking Snell 95 or 2000 helmet for under $150.00 any day of the week > > so why wouldn't I replace it every few years. Around here(Oregon) it > > seems like the dealers are always closing out a model. Shoei 800s are > > going for $200 right now and I bought my wife and myself matching HJC > > CL11 models last year for $90.00 each on close out. I tell you the HJC > > helmets are a very nice helmet,,, I would say as nice a an Arai was 5 > > years ago. I also have a Bieffe BR16 that cost $190 two years ago and > > it seems like they are just getting better in quality and comfort > > compare to a Bieffe I had before. The Bieffe America has a close out > > section and has a lot of helmets at very good deal right now so there > > is no good excuse to not replace the brain bucket every 3 to 5 years. > > I take my used ones and use them for target practice. I don't want it > > on my conscious that I sold or gave away a worn out hard foam helmet > > and made some poor guy feel safe when he may not have been. > > Tom Baumen > > > > > > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >