for sale: 2002 klr 650 with sputnik sidecar & dauntless subframe $55

DSN_KLR650
Ralph D

dyno results for stock and modified klr

Post by Ralph D » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:09 pm

I asked about this a while back and it seemed others were interested. Here is a real good link. http://www.patmanracing.com/klrdyno.htm

jokerloco9@aol.com

Post by jokerloco9@aol.com » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:17 pm

Thank you for the link. It is very informative. I glanced at it kind of quickly, buy the dyno sheets seem to say what people have been saying here for years. Basically, the KLR is an underpowered turd. We all know this. It is fun to ride just stock. You can spend numerous hundreds of dollars on pipe, air cleaner, jetting, drilling airbox, and all other manner of "modifications" to destroy the resale value of your poor KLR, for just a few HP more. Not to mention the usual problem of once you start screwing with a vehicle, you are forever screwing with it. And with usually lower reliability. Personally, I will ride my stock KLR, that has given me zero problems since new. (I have done the doohickey, and adjusted the idle mixture screw for free). As usual, it is your bike, and you can do what you want. That is why we live in this country. But if I really needed that much more power, I think your money and time would be better spent on another bike. And no, I am definitely not afraid to work on my bike. I have 3 race cars. Jeff A20 In a message dated 3/5/2009 4:10:19 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, redralph68@... writes: I asked about this a while back and it seemed others were interested. Here is a real good link. _http://www.patmanrahttp://wwhttp://www._ (http://www.patmanracing.com/klrdyno.htm) **************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219957551x1201325337/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62) [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

D Critchley

Post by D Critchley » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:30 pm

"underpowered turd", what an amazingly accurate assessment! I put 82000km on the first UT, and so far 22000km on the '08,also the UT model, but for the "young man in a hurry" crowd the KLR is a poor choice. I am at the age where if I were to try to pick up chicks, I would probably hurt my back, so I don't worry about it. DC jokerloco9@... wrote:
> > Thank you for the link. It is very informative. > > I glanced at it kind of quickly, buy the dyno sheets seem to say what > people > have been saying here for years. > > Basically, the KLR is an underpowered turd. We all know this. It is > fun to > ride just stock. You can spend numerous hundreds of dollars on pipe, air > cleaner, jetting, drilling airbox, and all other manner of > "modifications" to > destroy the resale value of your poor KLR, for just a few HP more. Not to > mention the usual problem of once you start screwing with a vehicle, > you are > forever screwing with it. And with usually lower reliability. > > Personally, I will ride my stock KLR, that has given me zero problems > since > new. (I have done the doohickey, and adjusted the idle mixture screw for > free). > > As usual, it is your bike, and you can do what you want. That is why we > live in this country. But if I really needed that much more power, I > think your > money and time would be better spent on another bike. > > And no, I am definitely not afraid to work on my bike. I have 3 race cars. > > Jeff A20 >
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

jokerloco9@aol.com

Post by jokerloco9@aol.com » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:39 pm

I like my KLR for shopping trips. It is tall and comfortable for me. And much narrower than most street bikes, so it is easy to split lanes. And it is very easy to ride. Clutch and trans shifting is very easy. My Harley requires a kung fu grip to operate the clutch. Jeff A20 In a message dated 3/5/2009 5:30:43 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, pentax@... writes: "underpowered turd", what an amazingly accurate assessment! I put 82000km on the first UT, and so far 22000km on the '08,also the UT model, but for the "young man in a hurry" crowd the KLR is a poor choice. I am at the age where if I were to try to pick up chicks, I would probably hurt my back, so I don't worry about it. DC _jokerloco9@..._ (mailto:jokerloco9@...) wrote:
> > Thank you for the link. It is very informative. > > I glanced at it kind of quickly, buy the dyno sheets seem to say what > people > have been saying here for years. > > Basically, the KLR is an underpowered turd. We all know this. It is > fun to > ride just stock. You can spend numerous hundreds of dollars on pipe, air > cleaner, jetting, drilling airbox, and all other manner of > "modifications" to > destroy the resale value of your poor KLR, for just a few HP more. Not to > mention the usual problem of once you start screwing with a vehicle, > you are > forever screwing with it. And with usually lower reliability. > > Personally, I will ride my stock KLR, that has given me zero problems > since > new. (I have done the doohickey, and adjusted the idle mixture screw for > free). > > As usual, it is your bike, and you can do what you want. That is why we > live in this country. But if I really needed that much more power, I > think your > money and time would be better spent on another bike. > > And no, I am definitely not afraid to work on my bike. I have 3 race cars. > > Jeff A20 >
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] **************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219957551x1201325337/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62) [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

dooden

Post by dooden » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:22 am

Underpowered Turd ? It will go fast enough to get hurt right ? I will drill out the slide "if ever" I have the need to pull the carb off the bike with hopes of a tad bit better throttle response. This would be nice when playing off pavement, like attempting to loft the front wheel over things, as stock ya gotta plan a wheel loft in advance and wait for the throttle to catch up. Otherwise my thoughts of a KLR are its a tractor on 2 wheels, find a happy RPM and shift gears. Dooden A15 Green Ape
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, D Critchley wrote: > > "underpowered turd", what an amazingly accurate assessment! I put > 82000km on the first UT, and so far 22000km on the '08,also the UT > model, but for the "young man in a hurry" crowd the KLR is a poor choice. > I am at the age where if I were to try to pick up chicks, I would > probably hurt my back, so I don't worry about it. > DC > > > > > jokerloco9@... wrote: > > > > Thank you for the link. It is very informative. > > > > I glanced at it kind of quickly, buy the dyno sheets seem to say what > > people > > have been saying here for years. > > > > Basically, the KLR is an underpowered turd. We all know this. It is > > fun to > > ride just stock. You can spend numerous hundreds of dollars on pipe, air > > cleaner, jetting, drilling airbox, and all other manner of > > "modifications" to > > destroy the resale value of your poor KLR, for just a few HP more. Not to > > mention the usual problem of once you start screwing with a vehicle, > > you are > > forever screwing with it. And with usually lower reliability. > > > > Personally, I will ride my stock KLR, that has given me zero problems > > since > > new. (I have done the doohickey, and adjusted the idle mixture screw for > > free). > > > > As usual, it is your bike, and you can do what you want. That is why we > > live in this country. But if I really needed that much more power, I > > think your > > money and time would be better spent on another bike. > > > > And no, I am definitely not afraid to work on my bike. I have 3 race cars. > > > > Jeff A20 > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >

Jim Douglas

Post by Jim Douglas » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:52 am

Dooden wrote:
> > Underpowered Turd ? It will go fast enough to get hurt right ? > > I will drill out the slide "if ever" I have the need to pull the carb > off the bike with hopes of a tad bit better throttle response. > > This would be nice when playing off pavement, like attempting to loft > the front wheel over things, as stock ya gotta plan a wheel loft in > advance and wait for the throttle to catch up. > > Otherwise my thoughts of a KLR are its a tractor on 2 wheels, find a > happy RPM and shift gears. > > Dooden > A15 Green Ape > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > , D Critchley wrote: > > > > "underpowered turd", what an amazingly accurate assessment! I put > > 82000km on the first UT, and so far 22000km on the '08,also the UT > > model, but for the "young man in a hurry" crowd the KLR is a poor > choice. > > I am at the age where if I were to try to pick up chicks, I would > > probably hurt my back, so I don't worry about it. > > DC > > > > > > > > > > jokerloco9@... wrote: > > > > > > Thank you for the link. It is very informative. > > > > > > I glanced at it kind of quickly, buy the dyno sheets seem to say what > > > people > > > have been saying here for years. > > > > > > Basically, the KLR is an underpowered turd. We all know this. It is > > > fun to > > > ride just stock. You can spend numerous hundreds of dollars on > pipe, air > > > cleaner, jetting, drilling airbox, and all other manner of > > > "modifications" to > > > destroy the resale value of your poor KLR, for just a few HP more. > Not to > > > mention the usual problem of once you start screwing with a vehicle, > > > you are > > > forever screwing with it. And with usually lower reliability. > > > > > > Personally, I will ride my stock KLR, that has given me zero problems > > > since > > > new. (I have done the doohickey, and adjusted the idle mixture > screw for > > > free). > > > > > > As usual, it is your bike, and you can do what you want. That is > why we > > > live in this country. But if I really needed that much more power, I > > > think your > > > money and time would be better spent on another bike. > > > > > > And no, I am definitely not afraid to work on my bike. I have 3 > race cars. > > > > > > Jeff A20 > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > >
Although I agree the KLR is a turd in regards to power it's perfect for me, I am on the third one and have never done anything and any of them to improve power, I did lose 65lbs from my gut which I believe improved performance, but as I spend a lot of time of the pavement and when on a long distance ride it would be nice to have something like the BMW GS800 which I think is the perfect side for a DS bike for DS, the larger BMW model are too big both physically and power for me and can't imagine going off-road on one of those!

martin polach

Post by martin polach » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:14 pm

Come on guys...all this talk about needing more power from our KLR's Face it (A) Most of us are either in our 40's, 50's or gasp 60's...and we really don't even fully utilize the 35 hp (or what ever) of our STOCK KLR's. Realistically how many of us split traffic on our real wheels at mach 1? They are an inexpensive, versatile and fun bikes that will take us places that few go....and will probably return us home to our family or loved ones (Can be mutually exclusive) (b) If you really feel the need for horsepower ..go out and buy a Hyabusa or the like (lot's of them for sale) I am willing to wager that 90% of our membership would crack the throttle ONCE in second gear..and promptly put it up for sale (That is why a used Hyabusa is reatively affordable) Virtually NOBODY (other than a few testosterone challenged 18 yr old's have the courage AND the reflexes to even come remotley close to taming that kind of power) Accept the KLR for the happt medium that it gives us...PLEASE don't moan that you NEED another 20 hp to get really enjoy it..Buddy you DON't! That's not to say that a few incremental changes are couterproductive..ie the 685 cc piston ..(lighter..less vibration and a little more snap) sounds like an excellent choice or those that want to spend a few bucks but ..let's just go out and enjoy...Before the whole shitting economy crashes around our ears!!! Brotherhood to all Martin (Snowbound in Canada!) [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jake Wilson

Post by Jake Wilson » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:57 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Martin Polach wrote:
> > > > Come on guys...all this talk about needing more power from our KLR's > > > > Face it (A) Most of us are either in our 40's, 50's or gasp 60's...and we really don't even fully utilize the 35 hp (or what ever) of our STOCK KLR's. Realistically how many of us split traffic on our real wheels at mach 1? > > They are an inexpensive, versatile and fun bikes that will take us places that few go....and will probably return us home to our family or loved ones (Can be mutually exclusive) > > > > (b) If you really feel the need for horsepower ..go out and buy a Hyabusa or the like (lot's of them for sale) > > I am willing to wager that 90% of our membership would crack the throttle ONCE in second gear..and promptly put it up for sale (That is why a used Hyabusa is reatively affordable) Virtually NOBODY (other than a few testosterone challenged 18 yr old's have the courage AND the reflexes to even come remotley close to taming that kind of power) > > > > Accept the KLR for the happt medium that it gives us...PLEASE don't moan that you NEED another 20 hp to get really enjoy it..Buddy you DON't! > > > > That's not to say that a few incremental changes are couterproductive..ie the 685 cc piston ..(lighter..less vibration and a little more snap) sounds like an excellent choice or those that want to spend a few bucks but ..let's just go out and enjoy...Before the whole shitting economy crashes around our ears!!! > > > > Brotherhood to all > > > > Martin (Snowbound in Canada!) >
~~~Amen Martin, yeah, the KLR is not a slab bike but a slab bike can't be ridden off road, all that well=:-) And even if you don't ride much off road (I don't) the KLR is still great all rounder From time to time I thought I would like my KLR more if it had some nice big saddle bags (think huge aluminum panniers) but then I'd have trouble fitting it into the garge, so scratch that idea. Besides, I seeem to make out all right with two bungee nets and a pair of shock cords, this pair: http://tinyurl.com/6d9jvo Jake Reddick Fla.

notanymoore

Post by notanymoore » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:39 am

Can't say I agree. Nobody wants Hayabusa type power on the KLR, but fact is it is underpowered and undergeared. Yes, the 650 is a great ride - inexpensive, (relatively) low maintenance, easy to handle, go anywhere and all day on a tank of gas. It's not a happy medium, more like what they say about a true compromise - nobody's really happy. Kaw would do themselves a big favor by offering the KLR in two models, primarily onroad, pirimarily off-road. A few things that would greatly improve the KLR 650: - Fuel injection - would address power and altitude issues. Probably improve gas mileage as well. - 6 speed tranny with lower first gear and higher sixth. Greatly improve roadability without sacrificing off-road. - Go back to the original plastic color scheme, but use current layout. The new "on-road" plastic doesn't fit the KLR image IMHO and won't stand up as well off-road. - Get rid of the damn doohickey. - A lighter 685 CC head wouldn't hurt either. I'd pay an add'l $500 - $1000 for the KLR 650 with the above improvements.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Martin Polach wrote: > > > > Come on guys...all this talk about needing more power from our KLR's > > > > Face it (A) Most of us are either in our 40's, 50's or gasp 60's...and we really don't even fully utilize the 35 hp (or what ever) of our STOCK KLR's. Realistically how many of us split traffic on our real wheels at mach 1? > > They are an inexpensive, versatile and fun bikes that will take us places that few go....and will probably return us home to our family or loved ones (Can be mutually exclusive) > > > > (b) If you really feel the need for horsepower ..go out and buy a Hyabusa or the like (lot's of them for sale) > > I am willing to wager that 90% of our membership would crack the throttle ONCE in second gear..and promptly put it up for sale (That is why a used Hyabusa is reatively affordable) Virtually NOBODY (other than a few testosterone challenged 18 yr old's have the courage AND the reflexes to even come remotley close to taming that kind of power) > > > > Accept the KLR for the happt medium that it gives us...PLEASE don't moan that you NEED another 20 hp to get really enjoy it..Buddy you DON't! > > > > That's not to say that a few incremental changes are couterproductive..ie the 685 cc piston ..(lighter..less vibration and a little more snap) sounds like an excellent choice or those that want to spend a few bucks but ..let's just go out and enjoy...Before the whole shitting economy crashes around our ears!!! > > > > Brotherhood to all > > > > Martin (Snowbound in Canada!) > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >

LDHunter

Post by LDHunter » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:57 am

I have been riding dual sports for almost 40 years and find the KLR to have ample power for any practical application I intend for it. They already DO make a street oriented twin cylinder dual sport. It's called the Versys and one of the bike rags picked it as bike of the year last year and for a middle weight 650 twin it has more power than almost any non-professional rider could ever use. Methinks you are too critical. $bob$ Can't say I agree. Nobody wants Hayabusa type power on the KLR, but fact is it is underpowered and undergeared. Yes, the 650 is a great ride - inexpensive, (relatively) low maintenance, easy to handle, go anywhere and all day on a tank of gas. It's not a happy medium, more like what they say about a true compromise - nobody's really happy. Kaw would do themselves a big favor by offering the KLR in two models, primarily onroad, pirimarily off-road. A few things that would greatly improve the KLR 650: - Fuel injection - would address power and altitude issues. Probably improve gas mileage as well. - 6 speed tranny with lower first gear and higher sixth. Greatly improve roadability without sacrificing off-road. - Go back to the original plastic color scheme, but use current layout. The new "on-road" plastic doesn't fit the KLR image IMHO and won't stand up as well off-road. - Get rid of the damn doohickey. - A lighter 685 CC head wouldn't hurt either. I'd pay an add'l $500 - $1000 for the KLR 650 with the above improvements. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]