mixing oil and coolant

DSN_KLR650
revmaaatin

foot peg bolts

Post by revmaaatin » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:19 am

Last Friday a week, I was going to make a parish run, thinly veiled excuse to ride the KLR, when I stood on the pegs three miles from home, and they felt like mush. It appears the mechanic had kept plenty of WD 40 on the chain but had not spent much time looking at foot peg bolts. I stopped in the middle of the premium SD gravel road and sure enough, loose foot pegs, both sides, and the only reasonable thing left to do, I fired the mechanic on the spot. Sigh, 57 miles of gravel and grass section lines before me and I got loose footpegs. Do I return home, or do I ride on....I returned home where I gave the mechanic another growling at. As I watched contently, the mechanic watched the diminishing sunlight, found the 12mm socket, 3/8 ratchet and commenced to wrenching....the foot peg bolt....slip....snap....and I fired the mechanic again...as these thoughts rushed back to my memory. Congratulations! You have purchased a very fine Studabaker centerstand, etc, install, enjoy, etc. CAUTION: DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE FOOT PET BOLTS. (From memory, 19 footlbs, I think). Only reasonable thing to do, I promptly fired my memory. He is 50+ and you know what good are things that are 50 years old anyway. So now I got a fired mechanic, a fired memory and a fired up pastor with a loose bolt, better than a loose nut, but still, a loose bolt. Nutzs. Hmmm. 19 footlbs. Get the torque wrench. Nah. Its only 57 miles of gravel and stuff like that. Who's gonna know. Not wanting to be one of great risk, I only rode at .9 of the speed my angel could fly and stayed in the seat, avoiding some of my favorite 2-tracks to an from the ranches I visted that day. Pretty good day, hit 4 ranches and only one family home. Where is everbody at 4 pm on a Saturday in South Dakota? Fast forward to Satuday, yesterday. As for the twisteed off bolt, nothing that a good drill bit and and easy out would not take care of. As for the bolt(s), The local FORD-International Harvestor-Case dealer had bolts, not collared bolts, but had washers and lock washers to replace all the bolts, with a touch of blue locktite. Moral of this story, if there is one, is there are multiple sources of emergency bolts, and riding dual sport, tractor repair facilities have metric bolts. In the hitherland, even at 4:56pm on a saturday, you might be able to get a bolt. Next nearest place: ~50 miles and not likely to be much help at 6 pm on a saturday night. As far as the faulty maintenance: When all else fails, fire the mechanic. Blame shifting is tedious, but everyone is useful for something!!! Unfortunately, that mechanic looks a lot like me! ( and you ) Ride safe Got to go to work. revmaaatin. ps: check your foot pegs. After 10K miles, all four bolts needed replacing.

Guy B. Young II

foot peg bolts

Post by Guy B. Young II » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:30 am

Nice 'comment'!!! -----Original Message----- From: revmaaatin Sent: Feb 27, 2005 11:19 AM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] foot peg bolts Last Friday a week, I was going to make a parish run, thinly veiled excuse to ride the KLR, when I stood on the pegs three miles from home, and they felt like mush. It appears the mechanic had kept plenty of WD 40 on the chain but had not spent much time looking at foot peg bolts. I stopped in the middle of the premium SD gravel road and sure enough, loose foot pegs, both sides, and the only reasonable thing left to do, I fired the mechanic on the spot. S-N-I-P

Michael T

foot peg bolts

Post by Michael T » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:31 am

Ya, firing the mechanic and then rehiring him in the next breath is exhuasting :-) Nice tale rev! Michael T 02 KLR650 A16 85 Venture Royale AMA222213 lasvegasrider@... -----Original Message----- From: revmaaatin [mailto:mjearl@...] Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2005 8:20 AM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] foot peg bolts Last Friday a week, I was going to make a parish run, thinly veiled excuse to ride the KLR, when I stood on the pegs three miles from home, and they felt like mush. It appears the mechanic had kept plenty of WD 40 on the chain but had not spent much time looking at foot peg bolts. I stopped in the middle of the premium SD gravel road and sure enough, loose foot pegs, both sides, and the only reasonable thing left to do, I fired the mechanic on the spot. Sigh, 57 miles of gravel and grass section lines before me and I got loose footpegs. Do I return home, or do I ride on....I returned home where I gave the mechanic another growling at. As I watched contently, the mechanic watched the diminishing sunlight, found the 12mm socket, 3/8 ratchet and commenced to wrenching....the foot peg bolt....slip....snap....and I fired the mechanic again...as these thoughts rushed back to my memory. Congratulations! You have purchased a very fine Studabaker centerstand, etc, install, enjoy, etc. CAUTION: DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE FOOT PET BOLTS. (From memory, 19 footlbs, I think). Only reasonable thing to do, I promptly fired my memory. He is 50+ and you know what good are things that are 50 years old anyway. So now I got a fired mechanic, a fired memory and a fired up pastor with a loose bolt, better than a loose nut, but still, a loose bolt. Nutzs. Hmmm. 19 footlbs. Get the torque wrench. Nah. Its only 57 miles of gravel and stuff like that. Who's gonna know. Not wanting to be one of great risk, I only rode at .9 of the speed my angel could fly and stayed in the seat, avoiding some of my favorite 2-tracks to an from the ranches I visted that day. Pretty good day, hit 4 ranches and only one family home. Where is everbody at 4 pm on a Saturday in South Dakota? Fast forward to Satuday, yesterday. As for the twisteed off bolt, nothing that a good drill bit and and easy out would not take care of. As for the bolt(s), The local FORD-International Harvestor-Case dealer had bolts, not collared bolts, but had washers and lock washers to replace all the bolts, with a touch of blue locktite. Moral of this story, if there is one, is there are multiple sources of emergency bolts, and riding dual sport, tractor repair facilities have metric bolts. In the hitherland, even at 4:56pm on a saturday, you might be able to get a bolt. Next nearest place: ~50 miles and not likely to be much help at 6 pm on a saturday night. As far as the faulty maintenance: When all else fails, fire the mechanic. Blame shifting is tedious, but everyone is useful for something!!! Unfortunately, that mechanic looks a lot like me! ( and you ) Ride safe Got to go to work. revmaaatin. ps: check your foot pegs. After 10K miles, all four bolts needed replacing.

Guy Stormo

foot peg bolts

Post by Guy Stormo » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:13 pm

Popping corn because Lawrence Welk is on at 5:00? ;o) **************************** *** Guy Stormo *** *** 1998 ST1100 - STOC 900 *** *** 1999 KLR650 *** *** Grew up in Hayti, SD *** **************************** **Big snip**
> Pretty > good day, hit 4 ranches and only one family home. Where is everbody > at 4 pm on a Saturday in South Dakota? > > > Ride safe > Got to go to work. > revmaaatin. >

kdxkawboy@aol.com

foot peg bolts

Post by kdxkawboy@aol.com » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:24 pm

In a message dated 2/27/2005 8:54:41 AM Pacific Standard Time, mjearl@... writes: Fast forward to Satuday, yesterday. As for the twisteed off bolt, nothing that a good drill bit and and easy out would not take care of. As for the bolt(s), The local FORD-International Harvestor-Case dealer had bolts, not collared bolts, but had washers and lock washers to replace all the bolts, with a touch of blue locktite. As far as the faulty maintenance: When all else fails, fire the mechanic. Blame shifting is tedious, but everyone is useful for something!!! Unfortunately, that mechanic looks a lot like me! ( and you ) Before the mechanic gets fired again, you might tell him that red and not blue loctite is better for this job. Blue is for bolts you regularly remove for maintenance and red is for most everything else. Pat G'ville, NV [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Rick

foot peg bolts

Post by Rick » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:49 pm

The bolts on both of my wife's foot pegs are starting to strip out. What is the recommended fix for this? Drill and retap with bigger, helicoils or what? Thanks.

Michael Nelson

foot peg bolts

Post by Michael Nelson » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:06 pm

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 02:49:25AM -0000, rick wrote:
> The bolts on both of my wife's foot pegs are starting to strip out. > What is the recommended fix for this? Drill and retap with bigger, > helicoils or what? Thanks.
This is the way I fixed mine: http://michaelnel.smugmug.com/gallery/3816778_raukH#220498871_TjLua Michael -- "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open manhole and die." -- Mel Brooks San Francisco, CA

Rick

foot peg bolts

Post by Rick » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:12 pm

My wife also has a lame center stand on her bike but thanks for the link to your fix.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "rick" wrote: > > The bolts on both of my wife's foot pegs are starting to strip out. > What is the recommended fix for this? Drill and retap with bigger, > helicoils or what? Thanks. >

oldrider25

foot peg bolts

Post by oldrider25 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:05 pm

"Note that this mod will preclude the use of aftermarket center stands or **other lame accessories** that use the center stand mounts." Hey, man, now you're getting personal! ;-) John "I love my center stand."
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Michael Nelson wrote: > > On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 02:49:25AM -0000, rick wrote: > > The bolts on both of my wife's foot pegs are starting to strip out. > > What is the recommended fix for this? Drill and retap with bigger, > > helicoils or what? Thanks. > > This is the way I fixed mine: > > http://michaelnel.smugmug.com/gallery/3816778_raukH#220498871_TjLua > > Michael > > -- > "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open > manhole and die." -- Mel Brooks > > San Francisco, CA >

Rick

foot peg bolts

Post by Rick » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:33 pm

I have spoken with my buddy Fred at Arrowhead Motorsports and he is sending me a helicoil kit to repair these bolts.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "rick" wrote: > > The bolts on both of my wife's foot pegs are starting to strip out. > What is the recommended fix for this? Drill and retap with bigger, > helicoils or what? Thanks. >