engine problems after valve adjustment

DSN_KLR650
revmaaatin

engine problems after valve adjustment

Post by revmaaatin » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:39 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Craig Kahler wrote:
> > > > I have seen many posts of engine problems after a valve adjustment.
I have an 07 and have checked valve clearances twice, but did not adjust, as they were at or above minimum specifications. Some say adjust to the maximum spec if the valve is at or near min. IMO don't do it. A valve at minimum spec is still within specs and should be OK until the next scheduled valve check. If no valves are under spec, put the valve cover back on and get out of there.
> Craig Kahler >
Hi Craig, You have a good point. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Is there ever an exception? Perhaps. What you have not told us in your clnc check is how many miles you have on the bike. That little detail is important to the conversation, as I will show in a few moments. My bike was 'reported' to be checked on OEM interval when I bought it a 2505 smiles. By 3500 smiles the bike would hardly run; dying during rapid decel, most common at stop signs. Yes, a single data point, but also found repeated here in my readings of DSN for 5.5 years. I suspect it was checked, "in spec" and buttoned up, if it was checked at all. Shame on me for not checking it immediately after I bought it. Now to the 'what I do' and 'what works for me' part of the post. That is the beauty of it being 'your' bike. You can adjust, or not. It is also good to note that your technique is working for you. That is a good thing. It also sounds like you are able to faithfully keep the OEM maintenance schedule, (and I would love to buy a bike from someone that is as conscientious as you) and probably have access to a very nice place to work. But keep in mind, there are some on this list that ride 5,10, 15K miles at a time and valve maintenance is slightly impractical without the 'clean' space of a lighted and heated garage. It actually surprises me that motel operators still rent rooms to KLR riders. cough. Last season, I rode 6,500 miles in a month/10K in 5 months on valves adjusted to max--guess what? the valve clnc did not change at the end of that 10K smile campaign. Presently setting at 31K. Now, to look at your equation; at or above > min specs. =true. and min spec = min spec. also true. and, if the minimum were not the minimum, it would not be the minimum. also true. however, from a practical standpoint- Why wouldn't you set it to max after you have gone to the trouble to tear it all down? I suspect the bike shop gets full price for checking, and no discounts for not adjusting. If I was having a bike shop do it, it would be, "to the largest spec allowed." From a purely financial standpoint, get the max for your money. We also know that from 100's of post concerning valve adjustments, that valves set to maximum, are almost always going to be in spec during the next check--precluding the need to be checking the valves precisely at 6,000 miles. What is not in the formula (above) is the 'rate' of change and that is where/why most people are advising to set to max spec. The valve adjustments are most frequent at the beginning of the engine life; and decrease with mileage--all things being equal and that the engine has not been severely abused; ie run hot, low on oil, lean, low on water, or on AV gas, etc. What most have found best, when the bike is open, adjust to the max spec. What others have noted in many years of posting that after 8-10K total miles, they go 8-10k smiles without the need to check the valve every 6K miles. Somebody posted here that they went over 40K smiles without even looking (checked around 8K smiles, if I remember correctly!) and it was still in spec. (40Ksmiles seems a little extreme--not that I am advocating that, just the facts ma'am.) Adjusting to max--That is what years and 100's of thousands of miles suggest--not that OEM specs of valve maintenance should be ignored-- but based on community experience, after the valves settle in to their steady state, the valve check interval is actually higher than OEM published requirements. Knowing all that, it is still your bike.... Looking at the OEM specs, I suggest that some of them were written by a lawyer (smile; no offense to anyone reading this). Checking every 6000 smiles should keep you from burning the valves. should. It is true what you suggest; many have problems after a valve adjustment. Smile. Why do you suppose that is? revmaaatin.

martin polach

general questions????????

Post by martin polach » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:28 pm

Has any one in the group any first hand experience wearing the Shoei Hornet Dual Sport Helmets? I am curious as to how noisy they might be at highway speeds? Also is there any consensus as to the best upgrade to the lighting system? I read of wondrous bulbs that promise twice the illumination yet use half the wattage? How much is reality and how much is hype? Thinking of trying the Dusty Butt 1,000 and would kind of like to see down the road a piece come the night? Cheers Martin (Canada...a couple of inches of new snow last night and more to come?) [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jeff Saline

general questions????????

Post by Jeff Saline » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:55 pm

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:28:13 -0700 Martin Polach writes:
>SNIP > Also is there any consensus as to the best upgrade to the lighting > system? I read of wondrous bulbs that promise twice the illumination > yet use half the wattage? How much is reality and how much is hype?
SNIP
> Cheers > > > > Martin (Canada...a couple of inches of new snow last night and more > to come?)
<><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><> Martin, I suggest on the pre 08s (I don't have experience with the 08s and later) you consider changing the wiring to use a dedicated power source with relay that is stock light wiring controlled. I've done this on a couple of bikes and it works wonders. Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT . ____________________________________________________________ Looking for insurance? Compare and save today. Click here. http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTInoKCQApDOwQd3oKSZ1fkWHWGEcBaAApbjPJIfkOkXKaHMHr5WVK/