please forgive me! oily mess -nklrish

DSN_KLR650
eddiebmauri

chain lube - squeak question

Post by eddiebmauri » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:58 pm

Friends, please bear with me, I am no mechanic and I am still learning about my KLR's in's-and-out's; here is my question. Yesterday, I went on an 8 hr. ride, and put some 400 miles on my bike. Prior to leaving I put some lube on my chain. I used a liberal amount of Castrol Hypoy-C Gear Oil - SAE 80W-90. I use that oil prior to most rides, and at every refueling. Except for yesterday that is. Yesterday, I filled up twice. When I got on my bike today, I heard a squeak. Sort of like the squeak that a tank's tracks make, or like the brake pads were worn. Yesterday, I did not ride in any rain or water, no sand, mud, etc. All tarmac on yesterday's ride, highway speeds. So my questions is, is that squeak about normal? Am I going to have to carry some lube with me on long trips and lube the chain every fill-up. I have had my KLR for 3 years and have never had that (chain squeak) happen? Also, I am a student of the "clean the chain with WD-40, wipe clean, and use SAE 80W-90 to lube - school of thought" when it comes to chain maintenance. I guess that I am confused as to why all of a sudden I got a squeak. Eddie (03' KLR650 - "la poderosa")

David Bell

Post by David Bell » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:07 pm

I am of the "clean it with wd40 and don't put anything else on it" school of thought. I believe that the internal lubrication of an o ring chain is good enough and my main job is just to keep anything off the chain that will attract dirt and grit that will tear up the chain. I have used lubes in the past but prefer the "clean" method. I check my chain ever so often and it is OK. I probably clean it every 500 miles or so, but not on any kind of rigid schedule. I bought the bike used with 9,000 on it, it now has 13,000. I know of some well known KLRistas have used the WD40 method and got 30K out of their chains. I don't think you are going to beat that by much. I am not sure that this is right, but it's what I'm going with at the moment. I'm sure you'll get all kinds of answers to your question: Here is the important part: If your chain is within spec and adjusted right, the squeak is probably not significant. I would clean the chain and see if I could localize it any better or if it goes away. I certainly don't think you need more lube (probably less). ________________________________ From: eddiebmauri To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:57:58 PM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Chain Lube - Squeak Question Friends, please bear with me, I am no mechanic and I am still learning about my KLR's in's-and-out' s; here is my question. Yesterday, I went on an 8 hr. ride, and put some 400 miles on my bike. Prior to leaving I put some lube on my chain. I used a liberal amount of Castrol Hypoy-C Gear Oil - SAE 80W-90. I use that oil prior to most rides, and at every refueling. Except for yesterday that is. Yesterday, I filled up twice. When I got on my bike today, I heard a squeak. Sort of like the squeak that a tank's tracks make, or like the brake pads were worn. Yesterday, I did not ride in any rain or water, no sand, mud, etc. All tarmac on yesterday's ride, highway speeds. So my questions is, is that squeak about normal? Am I going to have to carry some lube with me on long trips and lube the chain every fill-up. I have had my KLR for 3 years and have never had that (chain squeak) happen? Also, I am a student of the "clean the chain with WD-40, wipe clean, and use SAE 80W-90 to lube - school of thought" when it comes to chain maintenance. I guess that I am confused as to why all of a sudden I got a squeak. Eddie (03' KLR650 - "la poderosa") [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

revmaaatin

Post by revmaaatin » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:57 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "eddiebmauri" wrote:
> > Friends, please bear with me, I am no mechanic and I am still > learning about my KLR's in's-and-out's; here is my question. > Yesterday, I went on an 8 hr. ride, and put some 400 miles on my > bike. Prior to leaving I put some lube on my chain. I used a > liberal amount of Castrol Hypoy-C Gear Oil - SAE 80W-90. I use
that
> oil prior to most rides, and at every refueling. Except for > yesterday that is. Yesterday, I filled up twice. When I got on my > bike today, I heard a squeak. Sort of like the squeak that a tank's > tracks make, or like the brake pads were worn. Yesterday, I did
not
> ride in any rain or water, no sand, mud, etc. All tarmac on > yesterday's ride, highway speeds. > > So my questions is, is that squeak about normal? Am I going to
have
> to carry some lube with me on long trips and lube the chain every > fill-up. > > I have had my KLR for 3 years and have never had that (chain
squeak)
> happen? Also, I am a student of the "clean the chain with WD-40, > wipe clean, and use SAE 80W-90 to lube - school of thought" when it > comes to chain maintenance. > > I guess that I am confused as to why all of a sudden I got a
squeak.
> > Eddie (03' KLR650 - "la poderosa") >
Hi Eddie, Are you sure it is not 'chain-mice'? :~0) It is not 'right' to tell us frozen yeti's that you rode your bike 400 miles today.... It sounds like you have a chain maintenance program that would embarrass most of us! What you did not tell us is Q.1 How many miles are on the chain? --not that that is a 'direct' indicator--as many usually get >15

Gmail

Post by Gmail » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:31 pm

The reason they make specific chain oil spray is that it is formulated not only to lubricate, but to stick to the chain links as well Standard strsight oil/trans oil may be a great lubricant, but it all flys off really fast A good chain lube barely lasts a tank full Iube every tank full with any chain oil formula Squeeking means you need more lube for sure Sent from my iPhone On Jan 18, 2009, at 7:57 PM, "eddiebmauri" wrote:
> Friends, please bear with me, I am no mechanic and I am still > learning about my KLR's in's-and-out's; here is my question. > Yesterday, I went on an 8 hr. ride, and put some 400 miles on my > bike. Prior to leaving I put some lube on my chain. I used a > liberal amount of Castrol Hypoy-C Gear Oil - SAE 80W-90. I use that > oil prior to most rides, and at every refueling. Except for > yesterday that is. Yesterday, I filled up twice. When I got on my > bike today, I heard a squeak. Sort of like the squeak that a tank's > tracks make, or like the brake pads were worn. Yesterday, I did not > ride in any rain or water, no sand, mud, etc. All tarmac on > yesterday's ride, highway speeds. > > So my questions is, is that squeak about normal? Am I going to have > to carry some lube with me on long trips and lube the chain every > fill-up. > > I have had my KLR for 3 years and have never had that (chain squeak) > happen? Also, I am a student of the "clean the chain with WD-40, > wipe clean, and use SAE 80W-90 to lube - school of thought" when it > comes to chain maintenance. > > I guess that I am confused as to why all of a sudden I got a squeak. > > Eddie (03' KLR650 - "la poderosa") > >
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

jokerloco9@aol.com

Post by jokerloco9@aol.com » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:34 pm

I put a scotoiler on my KLR at 200 miles and haven't looked at my chain since. Now at 8k miles. I keep it oiling enough that it flings oil on the rear rim. Jeff A20 In a message dated 1/18/2009 7:31:53 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, james.morrowsr@... writes: The reason they make specific chain oil spray is that it is formulated not only to lubricate, but to stick to the chain links as well Standard strsight oil/trans oil may be a great lubricant, but it all flys off really fast A good chain lube barely lasts a tank full Iube every tank full with any chain oil formula Squeeking means you need more lube for sure Sent from my iPhone On Jan 18, 2009, at 7:57 PM, "eddiebmauri" wrote:
> Friends, please bear with me, I am no mechanic and I am still > learning about my KLR's in's-and-out' learning about my KLR's in > Yesterday, I went on an 8 hr. ride, and put some 400 miles on my > bike. Prior to leaving I put some lube on my chain. I used a > liberal amount of Castrol Hypoy-C Gear Oil - SAE 80W-90. I use that > oil prior to most rides, and at every refueling. Except for > yesterday that is. Yesterday, I filled up twice. When I got on my > bike today, I heard a squeak. Sort of like the squeak that a tank's > tracks make, or like the brake pads were worn. Yesterday, I did not > ride in any rain or water, no sand, mud, etc. All tarmac on > yesterday's ride, highway speeds. > > So my questions is, is that squeak about normal? Am I going to have > to carry some lube with me on long trips and lube the chain every > fill-up. > > I have had my KLR for 3 years and have never had that (chain squeak) > happen? Also, I am a student of the "clean the chain with WD-40, > wipe clean, and use SAE 80W-90 to lube - school of thought" when it > comes to chain maintenance. > > I guess that I am confused as to why all of a sudden I got a squeak. > > Eddie (03' KLR650 - "la poderosa") > >
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] **************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1215855013x1201028747/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=De cemailfooterNO62) [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jud Jones

Post by Jud Jones » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:54 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "eddiebmauri" wrote:
> > Friends, please bear with me, I am no mechanic and I am still > learning about my KLR's in's-and-out's; here is my question. > Yesterday, I went on an 8 hr. ride, and put some 400 miles on my > bike. Prior to leaving I put some lube on my chain. I used a > liberal amount of Castrol Hypoy-C Gear Oil - SAE 80W-90. I use that > oil prior to most rides, and at every refueling. Except for > yesterday that is. Yesterday, I filled up twice. When I got on my > bike today, I heard a squeak. Sort of like the squeak that a tank's > tracks make, or like the brake pads were worn. Yesterday, I did not > ride in any rain or water, no sand, mud, etc. All tarmac on > yesterday's ride, highway speeds. > > So my questions is, is that squeak about normal? Am I going to have > to carry some lube with me on long trips and lube the chain every > fill-up. > > I have had my KLR for 3 years and have never had that (chain squeak) > happen? Also, I am a student of the "clean the chain with WD-40, > wipe clean, and use SAE 80W-90 to lube - school of thought" when it > comes to chain maintenance. > > I guess that I am confused as to why all of a sudden I got a squeak. > > Eddie (03' KLR650 - "la poderosa") >
Can't help you on the squeak, but I have two questions: How much do you ride on unpaved surfaces, and how many miles do you get out of a chain and a set of sprockets?

Jud Jones

Post by Jud Jones » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:06 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, GMAIL wrote:
> > The reason they make specific chain oil spray is that it is formulated > not only to lubricate, but to stick to the chain links as well > Standard strsight oil/trans oil may be a great lubricant, but it all > flys off really fast > A good chain lube barely lasts a tank full > Iube every tank full with any chain oil formula > Squeeking means you need more lube for sure >
This is probably as good a place as any to point out that for a bike that sees a significant amount of off-pavement use, and that does not use a continuous-feed chain oiler, there is no chain treatment regimen that has been shown to give longer chain life than simply cleaning with WD40. Although gear oil is a terrific lubricant, bitter experience has taught me that there may be no quicker way to destroy a chain and set of sprockets than to lube an off-road bike with 90wt.

Richard A. Butler

Post by Richard A. Butler » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:56 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Jud Jones" wrote:
> > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, GMAIL wrote: > > > > The reason they make specific chain oil spray is that it is
formulated
> > not only to lubricate, but to stick to the chain links as well > > Standard strsight oil/trans oil may be a great lubricant, but it
all
> > flys off really fast > > A good chain lube barely lasts a tank full > > Iube every tank full with any chain oil formula > > Squeeking means you need more lube for sure > > > > This is probably as good a place as any to point out that for a
bike that sees a significant
> amount of off-pavement use, and that does not use a continuous-feed
chain oiler, there is
> no chain treatment regimen that has been shown to give longer chain
life than simply
> cleaning with WD40. > > Although gear oil is a terrific lubricant, bitter experience has
taught me that there may be no
> quicker way to destroy a chain and set of sprockets than to lube an
off-road bike with 90wt.
>>I never use chain lube on my A20. I do however use cheep 90 wt gear
oil on my chain to avoid sprocket wear. I concur with the WD40 crowd. The drive chains of this modern era don't need lubing as they once did. The built in self lubing seems to work wonderfully. Where can you buy self lubing sprockets? Even a wd40 cleaned chain is still a couple of pounds of steel flying around a toothed metal disc. I use a generous amount of heavy oil every 150-300 miles as a prophylactic treatment for sprocket wear and always have. I would be willing to match sprockets with anyone who also has over 32,000 smiles on stock sprockets. I don't remember ever flipping the rear sprocket, but the teeth still look like new, so it would be hard to tell. I cant recall how many times I have explained the messyness of my wet chain as "No the countershaft/shiftshaft seals arnt causing that". Folks these days dont understand or tolerate the gressey look. I do intend to keep an open mind and try the wd40 only experiment when I replace my stock chain and sprockets.Ive learned to learn from those in the majority that have much experience, and there seem to be so many.
>

jokerloco9@aol.com

Post by jokerloco9@aol.com » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:01 am

I think the comment about not using 90w gear oil is not that the chain doesn't need some kind of oil. It is that 90w gear oil is sticky and attracts dirt like glue. read "lapping compound". I really don't think the "amazingly high forces of power" the KLR generates warrants the required use of gear oil on the chain. The chain forces are nowhere near the forces in the average car differential, necessitating the extreme pressure design of gear oil. Jeff In a message dated 1/18/2009 9:56:23 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, bon2jr2@... writes: --- In _DSN_KLR650@yahoogroDSN_KLR_ (mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com) , "Jud Jones" wrote:
> > --- In _DSN_KLR650@yahoogroDSN_KLR_ (mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com) ,
GMAIL wrote:
> > > > The reason they make specific chain oil spray is that it is
formulated
> > not only to lubricate, but to stick to the chain links as well > > Standard strsight oil/trans oil may be a great lubricant, but it
all
> > flys off really fast > > A good chain lube barely lasts a tank full > > Iube every tank full with any chain oil formula > > Squeeking means you need more lube for sure > > > > This is probably as good a place as any to point out that for a
bike that sees a significant
> amount of off-pavement use, and that does not use a continuous-feed
chain oiler, there is
> no chain treatment regimen that has been shown to give longer chain
life than simply
> cleaning with WD40. > > Although gear oil is a terrific lubricant, bitter experience has
taught me that there may be no
> quicker way to destroy a chain and set of sprockets than to lube an
off-road bike with 90wt.
>>I never use chain lube on my A20. I do however use cheep 90 wt gear
oil on my chain to avoid sprocket wear. I concur with the WD40 crowd. The drive chains of this modern era don't need lubing as they once did. The built in self lubing seems to work wonderfully. Where can you buy self lubing sprockets? Even a wd40 cleaned chain is still a couple of pounds of steel flying around a toothed metal disc. I use a generous amount of heavy oil every 150-300 miles as a prophylactic treatment for sprocket wear and always have. I would be willing to match sprockets with anyone who also has over 32,000 smiles on stock sprockets. I don't remember ever flipping the rear sprocket, but the teeth still look like new, so it would be hard to tell. I cant recall how many times I have explained the messyness of my wet chain as "No the countershaft/my wet chain as "No the co that". Folks these days dont understand or tolerate the gressey look. I do intend to keep an open mind and try the wd40 only experiment when I replace my stock chain and sprockets.Ive learned to learn from those in the majority that have much experience, and there seem to be so many.
>
**************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1215855013x1201028747/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=De cemailfooterNO62) [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jud Jones

Post by Jud Jones » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:24 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, jokerloco9@... wrote:
> > I think the comment about not using 90w gear oil is not that the chain > doesn't need some kind of oil. It is that 90w gear oil is sticky and attracts > dirt like glue. read "lapping compound". I really don't think the "amazingly > high forces of power" the KLR generates warrants the required use of gear oil > on the chain. The chain forces are nowhere near the forces in the average > car differential, necessitating the extreme pressure design of gear oil. > > Jeff >
You are quite right about the lapping compound effect. As to the chain's need for lubrication, any chain will benefit from a continuous feed of lubricant to the sprocket and rollers. There is no spray-on product that does that. As far as I can tell, no spray-on product remains on the rollers or sprocket for more than a few blocks, or at best a couple of miles. If you are lubing the chain every three hundred miles, the wearing surfaces will be lubricated for about two miles out of every three hundred, and dry for the rest of the time. No one has ever shown that spray-on chain "lubes" do anything to extend chain life, that they give longer chain life than WD40, or that they are anything but snake oil..