just a reminder for the weekend...check that front axle nut

DSN_KLR650
n1rzc

the dang thing just quits.....

Post by n1rzc » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:50 am

Ok, I'm back. I seem to be doing an awful lot of posting for a guy who doesn't own a KLR! 06 bike with 9500 miles on it. She runs for a while and then just dies, starting up soon thereafter and ready to go again. Doesn't happen in the mornings, but does it after sitting at work parking lot all day. This tells me heat related. He has cleaned the carb a couple times and has replaced a cracked vaccum line for the known to adulterate (heh) petcock. I have not witnessed this, so dunno if it is starving for fuel or not. BUT, where it seems to happen more at warmer temps, I more suspect an ignition problem. Any suggestions? Some failure as common as the Doo'? TIA! E

Jud Jones

Post by Jud Jones » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:52 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "n1rzc" wrote:
> > Ok, I'm back. I seem to be doing an awful lot of posting for a guy > who doesn't own a KLR! > > 06 bike with 9500 miles on it. She runs for a while and then just > dies, starting up soon thereafter and ready to go again. > > Doesn't happen in the mornings, but does it after sitting at work > parking lot all day. This tells me heat related. > > He has cleaned the carb a couple times and has replaced a cracked > vaccum line for the known to adulterate (heh) petcock. > > I have not witnessed this, so dunno if it is starving for fuel or not. > BUT, where it seems to happen more at warmer temps, I more suspect an > ignition problem. > > Any suggestions? Some failure as common as the Doo'? >
A heat-related ignition failure is not a bad bet, but give us a little more info: Climate, time/distance since last valve adjustment, more about when it stops running - at an idle or at speed, any preliminary symptoms. Vapor lock, faulty start enrichener, tight valve clearances, sticking rings, dirty air filter are possible causes depending on various factors you do not mention. Possibly the leprechauns need an afternoon nap.

Wayne Blackburn

Post by Wayne Blackburn » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:37 am

Mine did the same thing,It turned out to a cut wire to the pulser coil. It would start up an run fine until it warmed up,Then quit. Let it cool down and would run again for 5 minutes or so. The pieces of broken doohicky cut the wire. Mine had just over 10k at the time. I'm not saying it's the issue with this bike,But it might be something to look at.
--- On Sun, 8/17/08, Jud Jones wrote: From: Jud Jones Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: The dang thing just quits..... To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Date: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 9:52 AM --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogro ups.com, "n1rzc" wrote: > > Ok, I'm back. I seem to be doing an awful lot of posting for a guy > who doesn't own a KLR! > > 06 bike with 9500 miles on it. She runs for a while and then just > dies, starting up soon thereafter and ready to go again. > > Doesn't happen in the mornings, but does it after sitting at work > parking lot all day. This tells me heat related. > > He has cleaned the carb a couple times and has replaced a cracked > vaccum line for the known to adulterate (heh) petcock. > > I have not witnessed this, so dunno if it is starving for fuel or not. > BUT, where it seems to happen more at warmer temps, I more suspect an > ignition problem. > > Any suggestions? Some failure as common as the Doo'? > A heat-related ignition failure is not a bad bet, but give us a little more info: Climate, time/distance since last valve adjustment, more about when it stops running - at an idle or at speed, any preliminary symptoms. Vapor lock, faulty start enrichener, tight valve clearances, sticking rings, dirty air filter are possible causes depending on various factors you do not mention. Possibly the leprechauns need an afternoon nap.

traderpro2003

Post by traderpro2003 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:22 am

When it quits did you try openning the gas cap to make sure the cap it's clogged causing a vacuum? Make sure there are no kinks in the carb vent tube. Blaming the heat is tricky. Riding to work would cause a lot of heat. Then while sitting in the parking lot it might actually cool. The gas tank would shrink and if it's not venting, the pressure change could result in a vacuum situation. After this, I'd bring it into the garage and strip it. I'd do a visual looking for anything broken or cut and end up doing a valve inspection/adjustment. Valves out of adjustment can be the cause of all kinds of bad juju. In my case, it wouldn't start cold without adding a touch of throttle. Once warm it would fine. After adjustment, runs like a top again. I'd check all the basic things like ensuring petcock fuel actuator is working (check by removing the gas and vacuum lines from the carb and apply a vacuum to the accuator...gas should flow). Also make sure the kick stand-down safety switch is working properly. --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Wayne Blackburn wrote:
> > Mine did the same thing,It turned out to a cut wire to the pulser
coil.
> It would start up an run fine until it warmed up,Then quit. > Let it cool down and would run again for 5 minutes or so. > The pieces of broken doohicky cut the wire. > Mine had just over 10k at the time. > I'm not saying it's the issue with this bike,But it might be > something to look at. > > --- On Sun, 8/17/08, Jud Jones wrote: > > From: Jud Jones > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: The dang thing just quits..... > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > Date: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 9:52 AM > > > > > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogro ups.com, "n1rzc"
wrote:
> > > > Ok, I'm back. I seem to be doing an awful lot of posting for a guy > > who doesn't own a KLR! > > > > 06 bike with 9500 miles on it. She runs for a while and then just > > dies, starting up soon thereafter and ready to go again. > > > > Doesn't happen in the mornings, but does it after sitting at work > > parking lot all day. This tells me heat related. > > > > He has cleaned the carb a couple times and has replaced a cracked > > vaccum line for the known to adulterate (heh) petcock. > > > > I have not witnessed this, so dunno if it is starving for fuel or
not.
> > BUT, where it seems to happen more at warmer temps, I more
suspect an
> > ignition problem. > > > > Any suggestions? Some failure as common as the Doo'? > > > > A heat-related ignition failure is not a bad bet, but give us a
little more info:
> Climate, time/distance since last valve adjustment, more about when
it stops running - at
> an idle or at speed, any preliminary symptoms. > > Vapor lock, faulty start enrichener, tight valve clearances,
sticking rings, dirty air filter are
> possible causes depending on various factors you do not mention.
Possibly the
> leprechauns need an afternoon nap. >

n1rzc

Post by n1rzc » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:02 pm

Thanks all to those that replied. I'll send the ideas to Jim and he can let me know what has been done. Tough thing is that I haven't had my paws on the bike yet, he hasn't brought it to my attention directly. Here's what I do know: Valves were adjusted when I replaced the Doo' last month. The bike had the current issue before, but we hoped the weather checked vacuum line he replaced and the douching of the carb I did took care of it. Obviously we were wrong, possibly due to faulty intelligence or that the problems were disposed of..... oh..... wrong topic...... I/he wonders heat because the bike doesn't do it on his 20 mile commute to work. The issue always seems to happen after it has sat at his work and is ridden home in the afternoon. That, to me, bars a starvation problem caused by poor venting. If there was a negative pressure to be gad, seems it would happen before there was sun shining on the tank. BUT, again, I will send all this to him and have him verify what has been done. I do wish he'd let me have the bike so I could see every symptom for myself so I could decide if it was fuel or spark that was disappearing! I'll keep y'all posted, thanks again. E --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "traderpro2003" wrote:
> > When it quits did you try openning the gas cap to make sure the cap > it's clogged causing a vacuum? Make sure there are no kinks in the > carb vent tube. Blaming the heat

Jud Jones

Post by Jud Jones » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:32 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "n1rzc" wrote:
> > Thanks all to those that replied. I'll send the ideas to Jim and he > can let me know what has been done. > > Tough thing is that I haven't had my paws on the bike yet, he hasn't > brought it to my attention directly. Here's what I do know: > > Valves were adjusted when I replaced the Doo' last month. The bike had > the current issue before, but we hoped the weather checked vacuum line > he replaced and the douching of the carb I did took care of it. > Obviously we were wrong, possibly due to faulty intelligence or that > the problems were disposed of..... oh..... wrong topic...... > > I/he wonders heat because the bike doesn't do it on his 20 mile > commute to work. The issue always seems to happen after it has sat at > his work and is ridden home in the afternoon. > > That, to me, bars a starvation problem caused by poor venting. If > there was a negative pressure to be gad, seems it would happen before > there was sun shining on the tank. BUT, again, I will send all this > to him and have him verify what has been done. > > I do wish he'd let me have the bike so I could see every symptom for > myself so I could decide if it was fuel or spark that was disappearing! >
I'm sitting here wondering why you are going to such lengths for the guy without more participation from him.

Eric Foster

Post by Eric Foster » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:27 am

Tough meeting up when we both have kids and both work 50 to 60 hours a week..........

Eric Foster

Post by Eric Foster » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:16 pm

Here's a bit more.... I lean to a fuel issue...... E Hey dude! Thanks for posting that. Here s what I know and what I ve done. First it runs great every morning and on afternoons when it s cold and rainy. When it s warm out (70+ degrees) it will run for 2 to 5 minutes then feel like it s running out of gas. Always while I m moving at rpms between 3000 and 5000. It bucks and coughs just like it s time to switch to reserve. Most of the time it will do it once on the way home and sometimes it will do it every few miles. Getting it started is a bitch, I let it sit for a minute then put the choke on and crank and crank and crank some more until it finally fires. I know it s not vapor lock as last year I removed the valves in the gas cap to get rid of the dreaded tank whistle. My gas tank is free breathing (plus I ve cracked the cap when she dies just to make sure). My first thoughts were that it s a sticky float valve but after about 5 carb cleanings (the last one I completely tore the entire top and bottom off, took out the jets and sprayed the crap out of everything) it s still doing the same thing, BTW seating the diaphragm back in without any grease is a bitch! I also drilled the air mixture screw plug and turned the screw out to between 1 and 2 turns out (factory was 1 ). I also took the petcock off and took that apart and it seems to be operating normally. I really hesitate to think it is anything electrical as it totally has the feel of running out of gas. Sometimes when it first starts to show signs I can pull in the clutch and it will idle all day but try to blip the throttle and it hesitates and sometimes dies. I also checked the air filter and as I cleaned it maybe two months ago and do 99% street riding it still looked fine. Faulty Enricher makes me think. The threads on the carb end of the choke cable are striped. It still screws in but maybe it s not air tight. But of course seems like that would affect me in the morning as well. I have no idea where the pulser coil is to check for cut wires. We both know my valves are in spec. I just yesterday saw a posting on KLR650.net from a guy with similar problems and he fixed it by installing a dynojet kit. I m thinking about maybe shimming my needle anyway (the .22 cent mod). I m getting really frustrated with this damn thing. I hate riding something I can t trust. Feel free to post part or all of the above on the yahoo group. Maybe it will give them more to go on. Thanks jim