08 is junk

DSN_KLR650
aches@deltech.net

cam timing

Post by aches@deltech.net » Mon Jun 12, 2000 2:06 pm

>There is nothing wrong with removing the cams if you understand cam
timing well enough to put it back together correctly and have the manual to guide you. REminds me of an old tale I heard when I was a kid. Hmmmm Wonder if I ever really grew up. ha ha Anyway, the saying was that old BMW's didn't have timing marks. If you were not good enuff to use a degree wheel and dial indicator, then you were not good enuff to work on the bike / car? :0)... Kidding aside, heck , just read what the good people in here write about the valve adj. proceedures, pay attention and go for it. I also remove the coil along with the fan motor/radiator for easy access. Works for me. So far , at 4000, the valves are good. a bit on the tight end but not dangerous yet. Drove first KLR 20K without changing any shims. Luck I reckon. My Beemer recomends every 6K miles also but do it at 12K miles as have not had any out enuff to get excited about on the R11GS in 50 K miles. Good Luck Andy Chesley

Ian Francisco

cam timing

Post by Ian Francisco » Tue May 01, 2007 1:50 pm

I didn't check the arrows on the cam sprockets, only the cam lobes themselves. If the cam timing is on I think the cam lobes should be in one of two positions at TDC, either pointing inward towards each other, or 180 degrees away from that, pointing outwards, which is the easiest position to check the clearances as far as getting a feeler gauge in there. I think when they're pointing toward each other, it's TDC on the end of the exhaust stroke and the beginning of the intake stroke, with the intake valves about to open. When they are pointing outwards, away from each other, it would be TDC on the end of the compression stroke and the beginning of the power stroke. If I'm wrong then my cam timing is seriously out, but it wouldn't have jumped that many teeth. The bike did run reasonably well for 100 miles after I bought it. I had it up to 70mph. Probably burned a valve running them too tight. I will go back and double check the cam timing and also the balancer system timing and also the doo at that time. Doing those checks is easier then tearing down the top end, which I hope to avoid for now, but I'm not holding my breath. Thanks for the comments, Ian --- Greg May wrote:
> I think I might have your problem, I can't check my > bike to verify I'm right because it's apart waiting > for shims but I think one of your cams is out of > time by 180*, I'm pretty sure that when you time the > cams you set the timing mark o the "T" and the have > the arrow on BOTH of your cams pointing toward the > front of the engine, I'll try to verify and get back > to you....enjoy the evening....Greg > > ocpianoman wrote: Good idea, > but I don't have the compressor or fitting. I was > hoping > for someone to chime in with a way of disabling the > KACR and screwing > a standard compression tester into the spark plug > hole and checking > the compression the traditional way. > > I do like the idea of putting a little oil in the > spark plug hole. > Chances are I've washed the cylinder very well with > all the starter > fluid and gas I've put in there... > > And yes, I've used two new plugs so far, They come > out very slightly > damp and smelling of gas but not what I'd call wet. > > And, while I triple checked the valve clearances I > did not check the > cam timing carefully. When at TDC, both cam lobes > either point towards > each other or point away from each other, so I'll > bet the cam timing > is on, but I will have to carefully verify that. > > Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming! It's > awesome to be able > to tap into the collective intelligence and > experience here. > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "gmay131313" > wrote: > > > > Since you checked and rechecked your valve > adjustment and cam > > timing you can if you have a compressor do a quick > check for problems > > in the top end. You need an air fitting that will > screw into the > > sparkplug hole so you can pressureize the > cylinder, can be auto store > > bought or made. You need a compressor with enough > storage to > > pressurize the cylinnder to 100 psi or close > without cycling on, you > > need quiet. > > For safety support the bike so the back tire is > off the ground, > > turn the engine to TDC as if you were checking the > valves and then > > put the bike in gear. Before you pressureize the > cylinder you need to > > ensure that putting air in the cylinder won't turn > the motor over, > > someone holding the rear brake on should do. > > Once you pressureize the cylinder if there is a > bad valve, broken > > ring, etc you'll hear the air leaking. Out the > exhaust pipe, exhaust > > valve, out the breather (filter removed) intake > valve, out the oil > > filler hole, cap removed, piston / rings. Since > you have been trying > > to start the bike for a while with no success I > would put a little > > oil I the sparkplug hole in case gas has washed > the oil from the > > cylinder wall I've heard of but never experienced > a cylinder washed > > down badly enough to prevent a motor from starting > so a long shot > > might be a little oil in the cylinder then try > starting again. > > One thing that you never mentioned was your plug, > if you put in a > > new dry plug is it wet after you try to start it, > if so it could > > point to a problem of no fire under compression > > Hope this helps some and good luck...Greg > > > > > > > > > --------------------------------- > Ask a question on any topic and get answers from > real people. Go to Yahoo! Answers.
__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com

Ian Francisco

cam timing

Post by Ian Francisco » Tue May 01, 2007 2:23 pm

Yup, and many thanks for the responses. Me and the A14 are in Diamond Bar CA 91765. I need to double check the cam timing using the arrows on the cam sprockets. In the last post I described the direction the cam lobes themselves were pointing, not the arrows on the cam sprockets, possibly leading people to believe one of the cams was 180 degrees out. I find that a little hard to believe since the bike was running then just acted like it ran out of gas. A tooth or three out is definitely a possibility but not 180 degrees. Is this an interference engine, ie, if the cams are out of time will the valves contact the top of the piston? When the bike is cranking over on the starter there are no nasty banging and clanging sounds... quote >endquote
__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com