klr 650 parts & accessories

DSN_KLR650
Pierre Leblond

newbie questions

Post by Pierre Leblond » Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:34 pm

>Subject: List newbie, KLR info > >Hello, my name is Ron, and I'm new to this list, though some of you may
know
>me from the DUST list. I'm currently trying to sell my GS, and looking to >buy a KLR to fill the off road touring niche. > >Are there websites that describe the differences in the years of the KLR? >Are there any problems that pop up with this model? > >I'm sure that I'll have plenty more questions for you as the weeks roll by, >so please bear with me. > >Cpt. Ron >'96 R1100GS "Mothership" for sale >'89 Hawk GT "Shop Whore" >'83 XR350 was "Valdez"
Hi All Another newbie here, have been lurking for a while and getting the "feel" of the list - I'm pretty impressed. I'll be interested to hear any answers to Ron's queries. Hi Ron, recognise you from the BMW list :-) I have a 89 KLR in my sights but am having second thoughts as it has been pretty hammered and I think will need lots of wallet care. Maybe I'll wait for something better to turn up , though KLRs here (South Africa) are pretty rare. Cheers - Pierre 2000 1150GS (35k wonderful kms, slightly too heavy for my favourite roads) Suzuki Marauder (Sunday breakfast runs) Yamaha SR500 Japanese classic:-) Yamaha TW200 - fun on the farm

joe_jacklovich

newbie questions

Post by joe_jacklovich » Thu May 02, 2002 10:51 am

Hello All I have several newbie questions for you. I am thinking about getting a KLR as my first bike. I figure that a dual sport is best. I am going to wear a helmet so the cruiser scene is out for me. I am not into speed so no crotch rocket either. Plus I plan on doing some dirt roads and maybe some easy trails. I think I would be better off with a KLR250 as a starter but I also plan on doing some limited interstate riding and I am afraid the 250 wouldn't be big enough for me. I am 6' 1" and 165 pounds. I am signed up for the MSF class here in a couple of weeks. So my question is would a 650 dual sport be a first good bike? I am partial to the KLR but if I got a good deal on a DR650 or a XR650L that would be o.k. as well. I was going to ask about getting a deal from the dealer as the one I went to seemed to want list price plus a set up fee. Seemed like a bit much. From the other posts it seems that I should be able to do better than that. My other question is should I just go with a used bike instead of a new one since while I am learning I will probably lay it down anyway. The problem I see with a used bike is I don't know enough about them to know what to look for. Thanks Joe in Denver

KJ

newbie questions

Post by KJ » Thu May 02, 2002 12:40 pm

on 5/2/02 11:45 AM, joe_jacklovich at joe.jacklovich@... wrote:
> Hello All > > I have several newbie questions for you. > > I am thinking about getting a KLR as my first bike.
Good choice!!
> > I am 6' 1" and 165 pounds.
The 650 no question! I'm 5'8" and 145 and can manage it.
> > I am signed up for the MSF class here in a couple of weeks.
You'll love it.
> > So my question is would a 650 dual sport be a first good bike? I am > partial to the KLR
I think so. And me too.
> > I was going to ask about getting a deal from the dealer as the one I > went to seemed to want list price plus a set up fee. Seemed like a > bit much. From the other posts it seems that I should be able to do > better than that.
You can.
> > My other question is should I just go with a used bike instead of a > new one
Go used and save some cash for accessories!
> The problem I see with a used bike is I don't know enough about them
to know what to look for. The list can help with that. Karl A14 (the green one)
> > Thanks > Joe in Denver > >

klrz4ever

newbie questions

Post by klrz4ever » Thu May 02, 2002 12:52 pm

Hi Joe, I'd buy used, if only to save the heartache of dropping a new bike. I've seen many 'used' KLR 650's that have very few miles on them and have never been off road. Some people buy first and think later. If you can find one still under warranty, so much the better. At least you'll save a few hundred bucks. If you want new, shop around. Denver must have several Kawi dealers. Be patient, get to know them, visit often, and wear them down. Good luck, __Arden Kysely

Xeno

newbie questions

Post by Xeno » Thu May 02, 2002 3:24 pm

Good day Joe, Good choice on the KLR. I've heard that the DR is a good trail bike but misserable on the road. I hated my XR. The KLR seems to be a perfect balance between trailworthiness and street handling. Definately used. As you pointed out, you WILL drop this bike. Especialy if you do any kind of off pavement riding. Stock up on turn signals now! :> Also, you avoid the financial hit that comes with the instant depreciation of buying a new bike. Find a friend that is mechanically inclined and take him/her with you when you look at a used bike. Show up a little early to make sure you get to start the bike "cold". As with buing any used vechicle, common sense goes a long way. I picked the 250 because I do about 85trail/15street. The 250 is lighter and smaller making it easier to throw around. The 250 will also probably become my wifes first bike. It's a wonderful beginners motorcycle and hard to get into trouble onto. The flip side of the 250 is that it barely holds its own out on the road. It gets the job done running errands but I wouldn't care to spend any length of time on it at highway speeds. The 250 has almost no aftermarket accessories available for it. You'll enjoy the MSF course. You might want to hold off on buying something until you complete the course. As strange as it sounds, you may not enjoy motorcycling. The MSF course will give you a good taste. Take care Xeno 2001 KLR 250 Kermit Green 1989 VN 750 A Black / Green
----- Original Message ----- From: joe_jacklovich To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 7:45 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Newbie Questions > Hello All > > I have several newbie questions for you. > > I am thinking about getting a KLR as my first bike. I figure that a > dual sport is best. I am going to wear a helmet so the cruiser scene > is out for me. I am not into speed so no crotch rocket either. Plus I > plan on doing some dirt roads and maybe some easy trails. > > I think I would be better off with a KLR250 as a starter but I also > plan on doing some limited interstate riding and I am afraid the 250 > wouldn't be big enough for me. I am 6' 1" and 165 pounds. > > I am signed up for the MSF class here in a couple of weeks. > > So my question is would a 650 dual sport be a first good bike? I am > partial to the KLR but if I got a good deal on a DR650 or a XR650L > that would be o.k. as well. > > I was going to ask about getting a deal from the dealer as the one I > went to seemed to want list price plus a set up fee. Seemed like a > bit much. From the other posts it seems that I should be able to do > better than that. > > My other question is should I just go with a used bike instead of a > new one since while I am learning I will probably lay it down anyway. > The problem I see with a used bike is I don't know enough about them > to know what to look for. > > Thanks > Joe in Denver > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

zootpatutie

newbie questions

Post by zootpatutie » Thu May 02, 2002 4:44 pm

I went through a lot of the same questions when I bought mine. I bought used both for the ability to lay it down without heart failure, and for the cost savings. Then put some money into upgrades for the offroad stuff. Went through the 250/650 question, and was initially intimidated by the 650 as I'd not ridden anything bigger than a minibike in jr. high. Bought the 650 because the 250 is too small for highway riding, too underpowered for the passes here in Oregon, and because I wanted to do some camping. Have never regretted the decision 13K miles later. The KLR is a pretty forgiving bike. Powerful enough to get me out of trouble, not twitchy or quick to spank, and much more capable than I am. Heavy for serious single track off road, great for dirt roads and 4wd trails, easy to put significant miles on to get where you're going. Todd A9 A3 (bought one for my wife)

RM

newbie questions

Post by RM » Thu May 02, 2002 4:49 pm

On Thu, 2 May 2002, joe_jacklovich wrote:
>So my question is would a 650 dual sport be a first good bike? I am >partial to the KLR but if I got a good deal on a DR650 or a XR650L that >would be o.k. as well.
The KLR650 is in many ways the *ideal* starter bike. The height is probably its biggest drawback. Not a big deal if you're tall enough.
>I was going to ask about getting a deal from the dealer as the one I >went to seemed to want list price plus a set up fee. Seemed like a bit >much. From the other posts it seems that I should be able to do better >than that.
$5k OTD (about 8% sales tax here) for a 2000 leftover in 2/01.
>My other question is should I just go with a used bike instead of a new >one since while I am learning I will probably lay it down anyway. The >problem I see with a used bike is I don't know enough about them to know >what to look for.
Very valid concern, and it's the reason why I went with new. See if you can hook up with a local KLR owner who knows the bikes well and can help you shop. Remember, you're examining the owner just as much as you're examining the bike. If I had to buy another one right now, I'd get a low-miles used one that some other guy had already upgraded and now needs to sell at a loss. RM

ridecaptan

newbie questions

Post by ridecaptan » Thu May 02, 2002 7:43 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "joe_jacklovich" wrote:
> Hello All > > I have several newbie questions for you. > > I am thinking about getting a KLR as my first bike. I figure that
a
> dual sport is best. I am going to wear a helmet so the cruiser
scene
> is out for me. I am not into speed so no crotch rocket either.
Plus I
> plan on doing some dirt roads and maybe some easy trails. > > I think I would be better off with a KLR250 as a starter but I
also
> plan on doing some limited interstate riding and I am afraid the
> wouldn't be big enough for me. I am 6' 1" and 165 pounds. > > I am signed up for the MSF class here in a couple of weeks. > > So my question is would a 650 dual sport be a first good bike? I
am
> partial to the KLR but if I got a good deal on a DR650 or a XR650L > that would be o.k. as well. > > I was going to ask about getting a deal from the dealer as the one
I
> went to seemed to want list price plus a set up fee. Seemed like a > bit much. From the other posts it seems that I should be able to
do
> better than that. > > My other question is should I just go with a used bike instead of
a
> new one since while I am learning I will probably lay it down
anyway.
> The problem I see with a used bike is I don't know enough about
them
> to know what to look for. > > Thanks > Joe in Denver
I bought my '01 a month ago for $3900. It only had 422 miles on it, so it was like brand new. The fellow who bought it never took it off road, so I felt like it was a steal. So, you can save some bucks by going used. But on the other hand, Kawasaki is offering the no payments until 2003 deal, so it might advantagious to go new. I have only put about 400 miles on it so far, and I love the bike. It's fine for easy trails and dirt roads, it has no problems there. And it is smooth on the highway. I have taken it on the interstate and I am quite comfortable there on it. I think it has a tame enough demeanor for the beginner too. I had a DRZ400s and it was a nice Dual Sport bike, but it was not comfortable enough for me. This is my fourth dual sport bike and I think it is the best one. Ed A15

Dave Morrow

newbie questions

Post by Dave Morrow » Fri May 03, 2002 9:11 am

> Powerful enough to get me out of trouble, not twitchy or quick to > spank, and much more capable than I am. Heavy for serious single track off > road, great for dirt roads and 4wd trails,
Good observations, I would just add that the KLR650 is definitely not a motocrosser. It jumps like a rabbit and flies like a bird but lands like a piano. I went on a street only ride a couple weekends ago with a group from the sabmag list (sabre/magna). Some spirited twisty riding in northern WV and southern Ohio with some good riders and the KLR kept up without a problem. The group I was with had a TDM 850, ST1100, and a couple V45 and V65 Hondas, not too shabby company for my lowly 650 single. We were the slower of the groups but still managed a pretty good pace. Fast enough at times that I had to brake hard into and WFO out of the apexes while constantly shifting to keep the RPM's in the 5k-7.5k range. Great fun but I'm sure the other folks were not working that hard. I would lose a little ground on the straight parts but catch up in the twisties. This is with K270s I might add. Once you get used to the weird feeling out on the edges of the knobs they stick pretty well - much better than I expected. Pavement only days like that make the Vstrom look better and better to me although I had a blast on the KLR. I am still putting together a trip report for that weekend. I'll probably post a link here as there were 2 KLR650's and another KLRista, Russell Stephan, on his ST with his SO, Anne, in attendance to give it relevance to our group. Dave Morrow IS Manager R.E.Warner & Associates 440-835-9400 dmorrow@...

mr_jor

newbie questions

Post by mr_jor » Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:27 pm

Had some great weather Friday and had the day off, so I ran out and picked up a 03 KLR650. Very pleased with the purchase. I have been lurking in this group and some others for awhile and figured the KLR would give me the best bang for the buck. Now just have to convince the wife to let me also hang on to the Nighthawk. After putting almost 150 miles on it in a couple days, I do have a couple questions: 1 - Where does one store the paperwork, i.e. insurance, registration, and inspection apaerwork? I have been keeping it in my jacket pocket, but would like to secure it on the bike if possible. 2 - Is it me or are the stock handgrips torture? 3 - Also looking for a new helmet. I like the style of the motorcross, but are they tested to the same standards (DOT and Snell) as street helmets? Also, if anyone has any good or bad experinces would appreciate any input. Also looking to purchase it online, as the local shops mark up is ridicules. Thanks for any help J.