air pressure-kenda 270

DSN_KLR650
LPetty4585@aol.com

headlight

Post by LPetty4585@aol.com » Sat Nov 11, 2000 3:58 pm

My high beam has gone out, have 12.8 volts at headlight plug on both hi/low, checked bulb by hot wiring to car battery works on both beams, the hi indicator comes on s/b same circuit according to manual, but no hi beam any suggestions. Have to figure out how to hook KLR up for lawn mowing, still hot Larry

guymanbro@excite.com

headlight

Post by guymanbro@excite.com » Sun Nov 12, 2000 12:53 am

--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, LPetty4585@a... wrote:
> My high beam has gone out, have 12.8 volts at headlight plug on
both hi/low,
> checked bulb by hot wiring to car battery works on both beams, the
hi indicator comes on s/b same circuit according to manual, but no hi beam any suggestions.
> > Have to figure out how to hook KLR up for lawn mowing, still hot > Larry
I hate to state the obvious but make sure the connection at the back of the headlight is good. I replaced a bulb once to discover that mine just sorta rattled loose. Same symptom, high beam went first, then the low beam. During disassemble I noticed the obvious. It might also need to be cleaned. dat brooklyn bum

LPetty4585@aol.com

headlight

Post by LPetty4585@aol.com » Sun Nov 12, 2000 11:34 am

Thanks for the advice now have both beams, it was one of the flag connectors in the 3 prong connector was not locked in and would slide out when placed on bulb, couldn't see it for the rubber cover. Wishing for cooler weather Larry

Enlow, Kyle S

headlight

Post by Enlow, Kyle S » Thu Sep 27, 2001 9:25 am

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the stock headlight on their KLR? Did you just replace the bulb or did you have to replace the entire lamp? Where can I buy a better lighting system? Many Thanks Kyle

Jim Hyman

headlight

Post by Jim Hyman » Fri Sep 28, 2001 12:23 am

Kyle, The stock KLR headlight uses a replaceable 60/55 watt H-4 halogen bulb, type 9003. You can buy higher wattage H4 bulbs, but the stock KLR headlight wiring is not up to the task of the stock bulb. Heavier gauge wiring along with dual headlight relays will improve the stock unit's performance. This upgrade is a must to safely handle the increased electrical load with higher wattage bulbs. The stock 10 amp headlight fuse should be replaced with a 15 amp circuit breaker or ATO/ATC blade type fuse. Check out the WIRING UPGRADE in the FILES section of the Yahoo/KLR site -> Wiring and Instruments folder -> Wiring-Upgrade folder -> relay-breaker-upgrade-page1.jpg [page 1 of 2] upgrade-wire-bus.jpg [page 2 of 2] For a color wiring diagram for the KLR650, go to Wiring and Instruments folder -> Wiring Diagrams folder -> KLR650-color-wiring-diagram.jpg or KLR650-color-wiring-diagram.gif For more info, check out Daniel Stern Lighting at: http://lighting.mbz.org/ I recently bought an E-code headlight reflector made by HELLA, part # 72146, for $45 [ bulb included ] from a local 4WD/off road accessory store. The HELLA unit will require a home made mounting/ adjustment bracket, as this unit will NOT fit the stock Kawi brackets. E-code headlight reflectors are street legal for motorcycles in all 50 states in the U.S. They provide a superior illumination pattern for all H4 bulbs. I hope to have my new H/L bracket installed within the next several weeks. I'll post my results. Professor A9 Federal Way, WA. [USA] ++++++++++++++ Kyle wrote: I was wondering if anyone has replaced the stock headlight on their KLR? Did you just replace the bulb or did you have to replace the entire lamp? Where can I buy a better lighting system? Many Thanks Kyle

Mark St.Hilaire, Sr

headlight

Post by Mark St.Hilaire, Sr » Fri Sep 28, 2001 5:23 am

> I was wondering if anyone has replaced the stock headlight on their KLR? > Did you just replace the bulb or did you have to replace the entire lamp? > Where can I buy a better lighting system?
Hi Kyle - yes sir, replacing the headlamp is an excellent thing to do, the improvement is great. Fred Hink at www.arrowheadmotorsports.com sells replacements, which are H4 bulbs. I used a 55/100, but there are a number of choices. (I think a stock H4 is 55/60.) You replace JUST the bulb, making sure NOT to touch the glass of it when you do, the oil from your fingers is a bad thing... Mark St.Hilaire, Sr msaint@... A15 My HomePage: http://home.adelphia.net/~msaint/index.html My KLR650 Pages: http://klr6500.tripod.com/ Valve Check & Adjustment Guide: http://klr6500.tripod.com/valves.html

zootpatutie

headlight

Post by zootpatutie » Fri Sep 28, 2001 3:02 pm

Jim, I think your assessment is accurate and I'll probably upgrade to a relay in the future. But I have been running a 130/90 for some time without complication. I know some have experienced problems with melting the headlight plug, but I have not seen evidence of the problem with mine. Have wondered whether it's cooler temps here in the high desert or whether I'm riding too fast. Todd A9 A3 You can buy higher wattage H4 bulbs, but the stock
> KLR headlight wiring is not up to the task of the stock bulb. Heavier > gauge wiring along with dual headlight relays will improve the > stock unit's performance. This upgrade is a must to safely handle > the increased electrical load with higher wattage bulbs. The stock 10 > amp headlight fuse should be replaced with a 15 amp circuit breaker > or ATO/ATC blade type fuse. > > Check out the WIRING UPGRADE in the FILES section of the > Yahoo/KLR site -> > Wiring and Instruments folder -> > Wiring-Upgrade folder -> > relay-breaker-upgrade-page1.jpg [page 1 of 2] > upgrade-wire-bus.jpg [page 2 of 2] > > For a color wiring diagram for the KLR650, go to > Wiring and Instruments folder -> > Wiring Diagrams folder -> > KLR650-color-wiring-diagram.jpg or > KLR650-color-wiring-diagram.gif > > For more info, check out Daniel Stern Lighting at: > http://lighting.mbz.org/ >

headlight

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:21 pm

I am looking for recommendations for a good replacement headlamp. I find the stock one severely lacking in abilities. The bad thing is I find myself cruising around with the high beam on just to see where I am going. Furthermore, oncoming cars rarely, I am convinced there was one that one time, even notice I have my high beans on. That confirms my suspicion that the headlight is weak. I checked out Fred's list, but not having a clue what the differences are I am still confused. Not meaning any disrespect to Fred, but pics of headlights just doesn't help. I figure I abide by the rules and get something DOT approved, but beyond that I just wanna see where I am going. Appreciate the help, as I know I will get plenty. Still working my way out of newbie status; planning a doohickey replacement later this year. Already put new grips on the bike, so the doohickey seems to be the next logical step. Thanks J.

Lujo Bauer

headlight

Post by Lujo Bauer » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:13 pm

It might be worthwhile to check that your headlight is working properly and aligned correctly. With my headlight pointing straight ahead (which happens less often than it should), I find that I have plenty of illumination for pretty much any type of street riding. -Lujo
> I am looking for recommendations for a good replacement headlamp. I > find the stock one severely lacking in abilities. The bad thing is I > find myself cruising around with the high beam on just to see where I > am going. Furthermore, oncoming cars rarely, I am convinced there > was one that one time, even notice I have my high beans on. That > confirms my suspicion that the headlight is weak. > > I checked out Fred's list, but not having a clue what the differences > are I am still confused. Not meaning any disrespect to Fred, but > pics of headlights just doesn't help. I figure I abide by the rules > and get something DOT approved, but beyond that I just wanna see > where I am going. > > Appreciate the help, as I know I will get plenty. Still working my > way out of newbie status; planning a doohickey replacement later this > year. Already put new grips on the bike, so the doohickey seems to > be the next logical step. > > Thanks > J.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

headlight

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:05 pm

Headlamp adjustment makes all the difference in the world. I lowered forks by 1/4 in and was then blind in the dark ! cars always know when my bright is on. You can get a Whiter/blue lamp at a autoparts store. --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "mr_jor " wrote:
> am going. Furthermore, oncoming cars rarely, I am convinced there > was one that one time, even notice I have my high beans on. That > confirms my suspicion that the headlight is weak. > > > Thanks > J.