bikes to own, bikes to lust for, bikes to ride.

DSN_KLR650
Steve Viertell

center stand

Post by Steve Viertell » Fri Aug 03, 2001 1:16 pm

Greetings, I'm new to the list so this has probably been covered but here goes anyway. I've only had the KLR for a week and having chased it all across the yard to oil the chain with the wheel on the ground, I started thinking about a centerstand. I saw that some people use (and there's even one available commercially) an adjustable rod to hold up the rear wheel in conjunction with the kick stand..."BinG" (sound of the light comming on!) Last night I went out and got one of my jackstands, stood on the right side of the bike and raised it onto the side stand, slid the jackstang under the swingarm and voila...Wheel's off the ground and got the chain lubed without chasin' the bike all over the yard... I guess a centerstand might still be the ticket on a long trip where you might need to lube the chain away from home... Steve Viertell, Chico, CA '01 Concours, "Smurfie" '01 EX250, "Ninjita" '01 KLR650 "No Name" COG 4274 IBA 6049 WA6ZGK www.viertell.com/bikes/>

RichardM

center stand

Post by RichardM » Fri Aug 03, 2001 7:53 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Steve Viertell" wrote:
>Last night I went out and got one of my jackstands, stood on the >right side of the bike and raised it onto the side stand, slid the >jackstang under the swingarm and voila...Wheel's off the ground and >got the chain lubed without chasin' the bike all over the yard...
I place it under the frame near the right side footpeg and just behind the end of the factory bashplate. RM

Porter H. Watson

center stand

Post by Porter H. Watson » Fri Aug 03, 2001 9:29 pm

Other items that also work: 5 gallon bucket, milk crate, wooden stump, even Givi hardbag, and I'm sure others.---PHW
On Fri, 03 Aug 2001 11:16:06 -0700, Steve Viertell wrote: > Greetings, > I'm new to the list so this has probably been covered but here goes anyway. > > I've only had the KLR for a week and having chased it all across the yard to oil the chain with the wheel on the ground, I started thinking about a centerstand. I saw that some people use (and there's even one available commercially) an adjustable rod to hold up the rear wheel in conjunction with the kick stand..."BinG" (sound of the light comming on!) > > Last night I went out and got one of my jackstands, stood on the right side of the bike and raised it onto the side stand, slid the jackstang under the swingarm and voila...Wheel's off the ground and got the chain lubed without chasin' the bike all over the yard... > > I guess a centerstand might still be the ticket on a long trip where you might need to lube the chain away from home... > > Steve Viertell, Chico, CA > '01 Concours, "Smurfie" > '01 EX250, "Ninjita" > '01 KLR650 "No Name" > COG 4274 IBA 6049 WA6ZGK > www.viertell.com/bikes/ > > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Support Dual Sport News by subscribing at: > http://www.dualsportnews.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > on the road(almost) and lovin' it!! _______________________________________________________ Send a cool gift with your E-Card http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/

peter sutherland

center stand

Post by peter sutherland » Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:33 pm

Any other center stands being used beside Dual Stars center stand??, for the KLR. I know others are working on the development of one....any success yet? Peter Sutherland [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Pete Wittstruck

center stand

Post by Pete Wittstruck » Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:02 am

I have one that I got from Fred @ Arrowhead Motorsports that I believe was manufactured in Germany. It is a little on the short side and works like a ride off BMW stand. I like it and it doesn't interfere with my bash plate. Pete Wittstruck Turlock CA
----- Original Message ----- From: "peter sutherland" To: "KLRLIST" DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2003 4:24 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Center Stand > Any other center stands being used beside Dual Stars center stand??, for the KLR. > > I know others are working on the development of one....any success yet? > > Peter Sutherland > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

westnash1

center stand

Post by westnash1 » Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:27 pm

I would appreciate hearing the pro's/cons of installing a center stand on the klr and which supplier has the best one. If I use a lowering link do I have to use a lowered center stand or will the regular one work? Thanks

rolxman

center stand

Post by rolxman » Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:21 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "westnash1" wrote:
> I would appreciate hearing the pro's/cons of installing a center > stand on the klr and which supplier has the best one. If I use a > lowering link do I have to use a lowered center stand or will the > regular one work? > > Thanks
It is a little hard to put the KLR up on the centerstand without having been lowered. I would imagine it would be next to impossible to put the bike up on a stock length stand if the lowering links are installed. I am sure that is the reason for making the shorter centerstand for a KLR that has lowering links. I have the centerstand from Arrowhead and it works really nice. I think the quality of the three most prominent suppliers of the centerstand for the KLR are all comparable in quality. John A17 R1100GS

Mark Sampson

center stand

Post by Mark Sampson » Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:58 pm

I would appreciate hearing the pro's/cons of installing a center stand on the klr and which supplier has the best one. I installed a center stand from Dualstar on my bike---which makes it very handy to service things on the bike----mostly the chain. It was extremely easy to install----and took only about 5 minutes after reading the directions. It would be very easy to remove also. It seems to be very well made. However-------it is extremely hard to pull the bike up on to it. It is so hard I don't do it half the time I want to-----or I have to get the help of a buddy to get it done. My BMW 1150GS is extremely easy on the other hand. I don't know why this is so------maybe it's just too long. Also------although this is no fault of the center stand-----if you are going to do some serious rock banging on the underside of your bike, I advise taking it off as mine got beat up badly and also caused a footpeg bolt to sheer off completely. I may end up shortening it a little so it is easier to use. Mark Sampson www.bigdogadventures.com

Allan Patton

center stand

Post by Allan Patton » Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:27 am

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Sampson" > However-------it is extremely hard to pull the bike up on to it. It is so > hard I don't do it half the time I want to-----or I have to get the help of > a buddy to get it done. Get a short piece of 2x4. Roll the back tire up on it, then lift it onto the centerstand. Have your buddy stand on the other side of the bike while you practice it a few times. I think someone said the centerstand that Fred sells is a little shorter than the Dualstar, making it easier to get it up. Allan A14

Karl Juengel

center stand

Post by Karl Juengel » Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:00 am

I find using the centerstand is 90% technique 10% muscle. Well maybe 80/20. When I fist got the bike (came with c-stand) I could hardly use the centerstand, it was a real struggle. I just worked on a technique that worked for me a now it's much easier. What I do is stand on the left side of the bike facing it. I grab onto the rear grab handle with my right hand and with my left somewhere under the rear of the tank. It helps to have gloves on here. Then using my left foot I bring the stand down to the ground making sure both sides of the stand are on solid ground and the bike is totally upright. Then I pull back with my left hand and lean my body to the right pushing with my left leg while lifting UP with my right hand on the grab handle. Once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy. If you are a bigger(than me) guy and have longer arms you my find it easier to grab the center of the crossbar on the handlebars instead of under the tank. I think the key is lifting up while pulling back. Hope this helps Karl A14 ( dual-star c-stand) on 6/9/03 1:26 AM, Allan Patton at apatton@... wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Mark Sampson" > >> However-------it is extremely hard to pull the bike up on to it. It is so >> hard I don't do it half the time I want to-----or I have to get the help > of >> a buddy to get it done. > > Get a short piece of 2x4. Roll the back tire up on it, then lift it onto the > centerstand. Have your buddy stand on the other side of the bike while you > practice it a few times. > > I think someone said the centerstand that Fred sells is a little shorter > than the Dualstar, making it easier to get it up. > > Allan A14 > > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy > of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >