the vibration hunt (nklr)

DSN_KLR650
Peter Warmerdam

new to list

Post by Peter Warmerdam » Sat Jun 10, 2000 1:38 am

hello everyone. finally decided to start comunicating with the group. have been reading learning about all this for some time now.(long story) have decided to buy another klr today! cant decide wich color. i can get a y2k in either the 99 color or the new green. decision is driving me crazy! cant wait to get another one under my butt again. will make decision tommorow. I live in langley british colombia Canada I also ride a 97 triumph tiger, really like it. have enjoyed hearing all the storys and learning all about the bikes especially the klr. I love it all. Cant wait to go to idaho rally. bye for now. Peter W.    

D.J. Rogers

new to list

Post by D.J. Rogers » Sat Jun 10, 2000 3:28 pm

Hey, Peter. Welcome to the list. I'm guessing that Holeshot Racing still has the '99 for sale. FYI, the Y2K model only comes in "Medium Green", the other one is a '99. I saw the two side by side and decided I like the Y2K better, so I guess the color just grows on you. They are the same bike mechanically, so it's nice that you have the color choice. I think if you check around, the new 2001 model should be out before too long, but I don't know if there will be any different colors available. Just curious (jealous?), a Triumph Tiger AND a KLR? I'll be interested to hear your comparison. I don't think I've ever seen a Tiger in captivity, just in magazines. I might be heading to the Idaho rally as well on my way back from Moab in August so maybe I'll see ya there. Which bike ya gonna bring? Decisions, decisions. Cheers, D. GBG eh14 --- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, "Peter Warmerdam" wrote:
> hello everyone. finally decided to start comunicating with the
group.
> have been reading learning about all this for some time now.(long
story)
> have decided to buy another klr today! cant decide wich color. > i can get a y2k in either the 99 color or the new green. decision
is driving
> me crazy! cant wait to get another one under my butt again. > will make decision tommorow. I live in langley british colombia
Canada
> I also ride a 97 triumph tiger, really like it. > have enjoyed hearing all the storys and learning all about the
bikes
> especially the klr. I love it all. Cant wait to go to idaho rally. > bye for now. Peter W.

Ryan Combs

new to list

Post by Ryan Combs » Mon Apr 02, 2001 6:57 am

Hi, I just thought I would let the list know I am in here (in digest mode). I was on the "old" list a couple of years ago, but have not had email since. I see some familiar names, and many new. I have an '88 or '89 (a3). I Live in the Kansas City area. I saw that some one was looking from Mid MO. Thanks Ryan Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Rev.Chuck

new to list

Post by Rev.Chuck » Mon Apr 02, 2001 12:48 pm

>Hi, I just thought I would let the list know I am in here (in digest mode). I was on the "old" list a couple of years ago, but have not had email since. I see some familiar names, and many new. I have an '88 or '89 (a3). I Live in the Kansas City area. I saw that some one was looking from Mid MO. Thanks Ryan
Howdy Ryan, nice to have you back! == Rev. Chuck :^)>+ A13 Antelope, California http://KLR650.WWW.50Megs.Com/ http://DualSports.OnWeb.CX/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ _____________________________________________________________

Dan Oaks

new to list

Post by Dan Oaks » Tue Apr 03, 2001 7:05 pm

Welcome to the list Doug Hum. Where in Florida are you? Damned glad to see that someone older than me is on the list! -- bierdo Saint Cloud marlinspike@... wrote:
> Hi. my name is doug hum . I am 67 . live in florida. had major HA 4 > yrs ago. I excersize 5 days a week in order to have strength to ride. > have been riding sport bikes (RF900R , CBR F2, ducati 900ss ( just sold > --great bike) hawk GT (going to sell) and NSR (just sold last nite). > just bought KLR 650 and I love it. A different kind of riding that I > really like and we have a lot of area here in central forida to ride > in. I am very eager to learn and will really appreciate hearing from the > experts on the list ( both on riding and about the bike ( mine is 1998 > with 6K). holler at me once in a while. thanks doug
-- Dan (BIERDO) Oaks, President Formtech Services, Inc. '01 KLR650 '99 DR650 '82 XL250R '78 TC90 '91 Yammy 4 stroke golf cart 2 bad dogs and a sled Mfr. of Printing Equipment & Supplies formtech@... bierdo@... http://www.formtechservices.com Mfr. of 4x4 POLY Motorcycle Parts bierdo@... http://www.dirtly.com 2970 Robins Nest Ct. Saint Cloud, FL 34772-8182 USA 800 522-6257 407 957-7887 (fax)

fuzzymotard@cs.com

new to list

Post by fuzzymotard@cs.com » Wed May 23, 2001 8:52 pm

Hello everybody. This is only a test. Hope to get my KLR 650 next month. Happy Trails Phil

Mark St.Hilaire, Sr

new to list

Post by Mark St.Hilaire, Sr » Thu May 24, 2001 4:06 am

> Hello everybody. This is only a test. Hope to get my KLR 650 next month.
Howdy! I'm a newbie also, I just got mine a couple weeks ago - you WON'T be sorry, it's been all I hoped it would be! Mark St.Hilaire, Sr A15 HomePage: http://home.adelphia.net/~msaint/

Charles Featherman

new to list

Post by Charles Featherman » Fri Jun 01, 2001 10:18 pm

Hello, I just signed up to this list today, although I don't even own a bike anymore. However, my last bike was a 1989 KLR 650, which I had until 1992 or 93. Then divorce, etc., and I got away from bikes for a bit. (Money issues.) Anyway, I have always wanted a Tengai, but they are getting harder to find, and the ones out there are not dropping much in value. My question is this: Where do I find the specs on the Tengai? Does anyone have a link? My main question is on the height difference. I am not exactly tall at 5'8", and I always wished for a better footprint on the ground when stopped at lights or signs. Can a standard KLR be altered to Tengai specs, i.e. the shorter rear shock, the shorter front forks? There isn't really much else different about the bikes, other than the fairing/plastic which is mainly cosmetic, right? I wish Kawasaki didn't discontinue the bike. :-( TIA for any help. Chuck F. NE PA

monahanwb@yahoo.com

new to list

Post by monahanwb@yahoo.com » Fri Jun 01, 2001 10:39 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Charles Featherman" wrote:
> Anyway, I have always wanted a Tengai, but they are getting
harder to
> find, and the ones out there are not dropping much in value. > My question is this: Where do I find the specs on the Tengai?
Does
> anyone have a link? My main question is on the height difference.
I am not
> exactly tall at 5'8", and I always wished for a better footprint on
the
> ground when stopped at lights or signs.
I think Tengais (used to own one, sold it to a riding buddy who still rides it) sit about 1.5 inches lower. Shorter rear shock and a different front end make the difference. Better (two piston) brake up front. One of the Marks on the list knows a lot about them, he also owns one. I think they are sweet bikes. I imagine the lowering kit for the KLR would do you the same thing for hieght. I believe the plastic bodywork should be carefully inspected prior to actual purchase, it tends to crack in spots. Handlebars are one inch narrower. Frame and subframe are almost identical (lugs differ).

Charles Featherman

new to list

Post by Charles Featherman » Sat Jun 02, 2001 9:46 pm

> I think Tengais (used to own one, sold it to a riding buddy who still > rides it) sit about 1.5 inches lower.
That's what I had assumed, an inch or so. Makes all the difference in the world when you're shorter but don't want a "little bike". Like I said, I had a KLR650, loved it, but I did have to stand tippy-toe a lot. I don't have a lot of weight to push the seat down, either. Shorter rear shock and a
> different front end make the difference.
I know there are lowering kits. But can one just buy a Tengai rear shock and bolt it to an otherwise stock KLR, and lower the fork tubes in the clamps (as I saw described in some webpage somewhere), and not screw the whole thing up? I can live with the height, but I'd be more comfortable with it a bit lower. I can buy a standard KLR pretty easy around here used, and quite a bit cheaper than the prices people seem to get (or ask) for the Tengai. But the Tengai is nice looking................... Better (two piston) brake
> up front.
In other words, a better caliper? If so, that's no problem. The stock one on my '89 was adequate for my weight and use, and if replacement was required sometime along the line I could always change it then, right? Or won't it bolt up?
> One of the Marks on the list knows a lot about them, he > also owns one. I think they are sweet bikes. I imagine the lowering > kit for the KLR would do you the same thing for hieght.
I just didn't like adding the "links" if just switching the shock absorber did the same thing. The lowering kit I saw advertized somewhere had a set of links to effectively shorten the shock. I personally would feel safer just adding a shorter shock if that's the case. I believe
> the plastic bodywork should be carefully inspected prior to actual > purchase, it tends to crack in spots.
This is no big deal for me. When it's bad I fix it, otherwise I can live with it. If I buy new, it better be perfect (until I use it,anyway). But if I get used, I expect some signs of use. I've owned and ridden some pretty ratty heaps, but never overpaid for any of them. If I buy it cheap, I expect some "wear". Handlebars are one inch
> narrower.
Nothing a hacksaw can't fix. :-) Seriously, this doesn't matter to me either. I actually like the wider handlebars. The few bikes I have ridden with narrow bars I did not think were good handling. Frame and subframe are almost identical (lugs differ). Here I'm lost. What do you mean by the "lugs"? Thanks again, Chuck F. NE PA