choke lever cable

DSN_KLR650
M.M.

hearing protection

Post by M.M. » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:29 pm

> I don t understand the thing about earplugs. > First of all, I don t think the KLR is noisy. > Secondly, I want to hear everything, like my own > engine, is there a car coming from behind, is > Jennifer > calling my name, stuff like that.
I understand the damage that noise trauma has done to my hearing. The problem isn't as much the noise from the KLR as much as it is the wind noise. If I could do it all over again I would have protected my hearing much better than I had in my earlier years. Unfortunately by the time I recognized the hearing damage it was apparently too late to undo it. Now I have squeeling, ringing chirping and clicking in my ears.. also known as tinnitus. I always wear good earplugs and my tinnitus still gets louder especially after riding over about 40mph for any length of time because of the wind noise. My hearing has become fragile and I feel it makes me more aware than the average person as to what noises are traumatic to hearing. Believe what you wish but if someday you start experiencing temporary ringing in your ears from noise... be very alarmed if you care to preserve your hearing.... temporary tinnitus will eventually change to hearing loss and permanent tinnitus. As far as hearing my engine with ear plugs in I can hear it fine... and some of the mechanical sounds I can hear detail with earplugs in that I can't hear with them out. As far as cars behind me I find the rear view mirrors and attentive driving more than make up for any reduced hearing with earplugs. As far as being able to hear Jennifer calling... I would want to be able to have my hearing undamaged so I could be able to hear her or anyone or anything else in the future. I consider hearing protection to be essential. I highly recommend it. And not only just for when riding. Any time you are likely to be exposed to loud or nearby noise (baby screams, clapping, whistling concerts, power tools, hammering, road noise and so on). It may seem like it doesn't matter to you now because you don't notice any negative effects yet and maybe for some reason it wont cause you a problem. I wouldn't count on that if it was me. Don't mean to sound like a lecture but my experience compels me to say what I can to try to raise awareness so that hopefully others will not suffer the way I do or cause others to suffer by not respecting others' hearing. -Mike ____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

jeff

hearing protection

Post by jeff » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:43 pm

Well said Mike. This is my first post to this list but the subject is near and dear to me. I too have tinnitus. My constant companion since 1984. The 72" diesel lawn mower I drove at the golf course didn't seem that loud until I rolled into the shop one Friday and couldn't understand the radio. The garbled mess I started with settled into a high frequency squeal that has gotten progressively louder and lower over the years and lately a nice buzz has been added. I don't enjoy a party or a trip to the bar because I can't understand the conversations. I hear all the sounds as one big mixed up mass of sound. I'm begging you all... get good earplugs, make sure you insert them properly and were them anytime you plan on getting up to any kind of speed. It's the wind that gets you. It's possible to get >100dB sound levels inside a helmet at highway speeds. Jeff rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg "M.M." wrote:
> > > > I don t understand the thing about earplugs. > > First of all, I don t think the KLR is noisy. > > Secondly, I want to hear everything, like my own > > engine, is there a car coming from behind, is > > Jennifer > > calling my name, stuff like that. > > I understand the damage that noise trauma has done to > my hearing. > > The problem isn't as much the noise from the KLR as > much as it is the wind noise. If I could do it all > over again I would have protected my hearing much > better than I had in my earlier years. Unfortunately > by the time I recognized the hearing damage it was > apparently too late to undo it. Now I have squeeling, > ringing chirping and clicking in my ears.. also known > as tinnitus. > > I always wear good earplugs and my tinnitus still gets > louder especially after riding over about 40mph for > any length of time because of the wind noise. > > My hearing has become fragile and I feel it makes me > more aware than the average person as to what noises > are traumatic to hearing. > > Believe what you wish but if someday you start > experiencing temporary ringing in your ears from > noise... be very alarmed if you care to preserve your > hearing.... temporary tinnitus will eventually change > to hearing loss and permanent tinnitus. > > As far as hearing my engine with ear plugs in I can > hear it fine... and some of the mechanical sounds I > can hear detail with earplugs in that I can't hear > with them out. As far as cars behind me I find the > rear view mirrors and attentive driving more than make > up for any reduced hearing with earplugs. As far as > being able to hear Jennifer calling... I would want to > be able to have my hearing undamaged so I could be > able to hear her or anyone or anything else in the > future. > > I consider hearing protection to be essential. I > highly recommend it. And not only just for when > riding. Any time you are likely to be exposed to loud > or nearby noise (baby screams, clapping, whistling > concerts, power tools, hammering, road noise and so > on). It may seem like it doesn't matter to you now > because you don't notice any negative effects yet and > maybe for some reason it wont cause you a problem. I > wouldn't count on that if it was me. > > Don't mean to sound like a lecture but my experience > compels me to say what I can to try to raise awareness > so that hopefully others will not suffer the way I do > or cause others to suffer by not respecting others' > hearing. > > -Mike > > >
____________________________________________________________________________________
> Looking for last minute shopping deals? > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping
>

mikeypep

hearing protection

Post by mikeypep » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:22 am

I can only chime in in agreement. 50 years of enjoying sounds like racing engines, loud rock and explosives has lelft me with ringing. Typically my ears would ring for an hour after mowing the oawn or running noisy equipment. Then it started to follow me after each ride. Then I realized the effect of wind noise; that rumbling, rushing sound that pervades my helmet. I went to foam plugs and now custom fit molded plugs. I do not ride without them now. $100 for hearing protection seems expensive til you have that hearing test and they explain to you just what those curves mean. Ride often safe; Mike JP KLR650, Connie, R90/6 and ATGAT.
> Well said Mike. > > This is my first post to this list but the subject is near and dear
to
> me. I too have tinnitus. My constant companion since > 1984. The 72" diesel lawn mower I drove at the golf course didn't > seem that loud until I rolled into the shop one Friday and couldn't > understand the radio. The garbled mess I started with settled into a > high frequency squeal that has gotten progressively louder and
lower
> over the years and lately a nice buzz has been added. I don't
enjoy a
> party or a trip to the bar because I can't understand the > conversations. I hear all the sounds as one big mixed up mass of
sound.
> > I'm begging you all... get good earplugs, make sure you insert them > properly and were them anytime you plan on getting up to any kind of > speed. It's the wind that gets you. It's possible to get >100dB
sound
> levels inside a helmet at highway speeds. > > Jeff > rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg > > > > > "M.M." wrote: > > > > > > > I don t understand the thing about earplugs. > > > First of all, I don t think the KLR is noisy. > > > Secondly, I want to hear everything, like my own > > > engine, is there a car coming from behind, is > > > Jennifer > > > calling my name, stuff like that. > > > > I understand the damage that noise trauma has done to > > my hearing. > > > > The problem isn't as much the noise from the KLR as > > much as it is the wind noise. If I could do it all > > over again I would have protected my hearing much > > better than I had in my earlier years. Unfortunately > > by the time I recognized the hearing damage it was > > apparently too late to undo it. Now I have squeeling, > > ringing chirping and clicking in my ears.. also known > > as tinnitus. > > > > I always wear good earplugs and my tinnitus still gets > > louder especially after riding over about 40mph for > > any length of time because of the wind noise. > > > > My hearing has become fragile and I feel it makes me > > more aware than the average person as to what noises > > are traumatic to hearing. > > > > Believe what you wish but if someday you start > > experiencing temporary ringing in your ears from > > noise... be very alarmed if you care to preserve your > > hearing.... temporary tinnitus will eventually change > > to hearing loss and permanent tinnitus. > > > > As far as hearing my engine with ear plugs in I can > > hear it fine... and some of the mechanical sounds I > > can hear detail with earplugs in that I can't hear > > with them out. As far as cars behind me I find the > > rear view mirrors and attentive driving more than make > > up for any reduced hearing with earplugs. As far as > > being able to hear Jennifer calling... I would want to > > be able to have my hearing undamaged so I could be > > able to hear her or anyone or anything else in the > > future. > > > > I consider hearing protection to be essential. I > > highly recommend it. And not only just for when > > riding. Any time you are likely to be exposed to loud > > or nearby noise (baby screams, clapping, whistling > > concerts, power tools, hammering, road noise and so > > on). It may seem like it doesn't matter to you now > > because you don't notice any negative effects yet and > > maybe for some reason it wont cause you a problem. I > > wouldn't count on that if it was me. > > > > Don't mean to sound like a lecture but my experience > > compels me to say what I can to try to raise awareness > > so that hopefully others will not suffer the way I do > > or cause others to suffer by not respecting others' > > hearing. > > > > -Mike > > > > > > >
______________________________________________________________________ ______________
> > Looking for last minute shopping deals? > > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. > http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?
category=shopping
> > >

Arden Kysely

hearing protection

Post by Arden Kysely » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:52 am

Great discussion of hearing loss, Mike. I hope more riders will take note and start protecting their hearing on the bike and off. For the non-beleivers, I thought I'd add that hearing loss is cumulative and irreversible --> It Gets Worse With More Exposure To Noise, and It Will Never Get Any Better. And you don't realize it's happening until it's too late. I use earplugs in the quietest helmets because none are truly quiet. FWIW, sun damage/skin cancer works the same way so wear your sunscreen and hat, too 8~) __Arden
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "M.M." wrote: > > > > I don t understand the thing about earplugs. > > First of all, I don t think the KLR is noisy. > > Secondly, I want to hear everything, like my own > > engine, is there a car coming from behind, is > > Jennifer > > calling my name, stuff like that. > > I understand the damage that noise trauma has done to > my hearing. > > The problem isn't as much the noise from the KLR as > much as it is the wind noise. If I could do it all > over again I would have protected my hearing much > better than I had in my earlier years. Unfortunately > by the time I recognized the hearing damage it was > apparently too late to undo it. Now I have squeeling, > ringing chirping and clicking in my ears.. also known > as tinnitus. > > I always wear good earplugs and my tinnitus still gets > louder especially after riding over about 40mph for > any length of time because of the wind noise. > > My hearing has become fragile and I feel it makes me > more aware than the average person as to what noises > are traumatic to hearing. > > Believe what you wish but if someday you start > experiencing temporary ringing in your ears from > noise... be very alarmed if you care to preserve your > hearing.... temporary tinnitus will eventually change > to hearing loss and permanent tinnitus. > > As far as hearing my engine with ear plugs in I can > hear it fine... and some of the mechanical sounds I > can hear detail with earplugs in that I can't hear > with them out. As far as cars behind me I find the > rear view mirrors and attentive driving more than make > up for any reduced hearing with earplugs. As far as > being able to hear Jennifer calling... I would want to > be able to have my hearing undamaged so I could be > able to hear her or anyone or anything else in the > future. > > I consider hearing protection to be essential. I > highly recommend it. And not only just for when > riding. Any time you are likely to be exposed to loud > or nearby noise (baby screams, clapping, whistling > concerts, power tools, hammering, road noise and so > on). It may seem like it doesn't matter to you now > because you don't notice any negative effects yet and > maybe for some reason it wont cause you a problem. I > wouldn't count on that if it was me. > > Don't mean to sound like a lecture but my experience > compels me to say what I can to try to raise awareness > so that hopefully others will not suffer the way I do > or cause others to suffer by not respecting others' > hearing. > > -Mike > > > ______________________________________________________________________ ______________ > Looking for last minute shopping deals? > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping >

Garrett Smith

hearing protection

Post by Garrett Smith » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:39 am

Hi Folks I'm a distributor for Skull Screws. They are a foam ear plug with a plastic insert and you can literally screw them into your ear for the desired level of noise protection. They attenuate up to 30 DB and work really well. I sell 5 for 5 bucks shipping in Canada would be 2 bucks, the US might be a little more. I ship in an envelope so it's not much. I use them all the time and don't ride without them. I work in a noisey environment, (prop aircraft) and use them there as well. Don't take your hearing for granted. Ride safe Garrett Arden Kysely wrote: Great discussion of hearing loss, Mike. I hope more riders will take note and start protecting their hearing on the bike and off. For the non-beleivers, I thought I'd add that hearing loss is cumulative and irreversible --> It Gets Worse With More Exposure To Noise, and It Will Never Get Any Better. And you don't realize it's happening until it's too late. I use earplugs in the quietest helmets because none are truly quiet. FWIW, sun damage/skin cancer works the same way so wear your sunscreen and hat, too 8~) __Arden
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "M.M." wrote: > > > > I don t understand the thing about earplugs. > > First of all, I don t think the KLR is noisy. > > Secondly, I want to hear everything, like my own > > engine, is there a car coming from behind, is > > Jennifer > > calling my name, stuff like that. > > I understand the damage that noise trauma has done to > my hearing. > > The problem isn't as much the noise from the KLR as > much as it is the wind noise. If I could do it all > over again I would have protected my hearing much > better than I had in my earlier years. Unfortunately > by the time I recognized the hearing damage it was > apparently too late to undo it. Now I have squeeling, > ringing chirping and clicking in my ears.. also known > as tinnitus. > > I always wear good earplugs and my tinnitus still gets > louder especially after riding over about 40mph for > any length of time because of the wind noise. > > My hearing has become fragile and I feel it makes me > more aware than the average person as to what noises > are traumatic to hearing. > > Believe what you wish but if someday you start > experiencing temporary ringing in your ears from > noise... be very alarmed if you care to preserve your > hearing.... temporary tinnitus will eventually change > to hearing loss and permanent tinnitus. > > As far as hearing my engine with ear plugs in I can > hear it fine... and some of the mechanical sounds I > can hear detail with earplugs in that I can't hear > with them out. As far as cars behind me I find the > rear view mirrors and attentive driving more than make > up for any reduced hearing with earplugs. As far as > being able to hear Jennifer calling... I would want to > be able to have my hearing undamaged so I could be > able to hear her or anyone or anything else in the > future. > > I consider hearing protection to be essential. I > highly recommend it. And not only just for when > riding. Any time you are likely to be exposed to loud > or nearby noise (baby screams, clapping, whistling > concerts, power tools, hammering, road noise and so > on). It may seem like it doesn't matter to you now > because you don't notice any negative effects yet and > maybe for some reason it wont cause you a problem. I > wouldn't count on that if it was me. > > Don't mean to sound like a lecture but my experience > compels me to say what I can to try to raise awareness > so that hopefully others will not suffer the way I do > or cause others to suffer by not respecting others' > hearing. > > -Mike > > > __________________________________________________________ ______________ > Looking for last minute shopping deals? > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping > Garrett Smith Calgary Alberta www.adventuremototech.com 1-877-216-7927 --------------------------------- Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jacobus De Bruyn

hearing protection

Post by Jacobus De Bruyn » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:25 pm

I am sorry to hear about your hearing problem, and my opinion was more a question than an opinion anyway. I have no issue with wind noise, and my helmets are of the cheaper variety that are commonly sold here. Could it be that highway speeds are lower here?, you re lucky if you can average 50 miles, once in a while I get a chance to rev up to 75, 80 for a few miles, and then it is back to congestion. And on the rural twisties, villages, farms around, you don t want to push it either. A highway in Costa Rica is a two lane road saturated with rigs. Every day a few thousand containers are moved in and out of the port to the interior, so you can imagine. Well, there are a few miles of four lane road in the country, but then half way you have to stop for a toll booth, so what s the point. And eventually you will end up in the back alleys of some town. Patience seems to be something everyone is born with, I hate it! So I assume speed may be a factor in the helmet noise. Or the expensive helmets are noisier, ha ha. Anyhow, I have used earplugs, the last time when the neighbours up front had a party of sorts, and they are very efficient foamrubbery plugs, I ve got them of a ship, where the engineers use them, in combination with the head phone type, to work in the very high noise engine rooms of today. The plugs I have, in combination with some vaseline, will blot out abt. 80% of all noise, so, that s not what I want on the road. The only problem I have with my ears is that they are way too big, but I have put up with that defect for almost 63 years now, so I ll might as well keep them to the end. Don t like em, didn t ask for those, but what is a man to do? But I am aware of the detrimental effects of too much noise, sunshine, booze, sex and all that. By the way, I read someone said he could not work in his garage, because there is no heating. What about a portable electric heating device? Or he prefers the basement because that is where the beer is stored? Jacostarica. ____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Michael Nelson

hearing protection

Post by Michael Nelson » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:06 pm

What? -- "It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand." -- Mark Twain San Francisco, CA

David Critchley

hearing protection

Post by David Critchley » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:35 pm

When I was a young soldier, we used to laugh at the wimps that used ear protection on the range, and in those M113 Carriers. We stood around while our guns let go with barrages and though tinnitis was funny as hell. Now I can't hear myself laughing about it, I wonder if they can? There is a ton of information around on the subject of hearing loss, and the major opinion seems to be that the damage is accumulative, meaning that the situation gets worse as time goes by, and your damage does not go away, you just get used to being deafer and deafer. DC Jeff wrote:
> Well said Mike. > > This is my first post to this list but the subject is near and dear to > me. I too have tinnitus. My constant companion since > 1984. The 72" diesel lawn mower I drove at the golf course didn't > seem that loud until I rolled into the shop one Friday and couldn't > understand the radio. The garbled mess I started with settled into a > high frequency squeal that has gotten progressively louder and lower > over the years and lately a nice buzz has been added. I don't enjoy a > party or a trip to the bar because I can't understand the > conversations. I hear all the sounds as one big mixed up mass of sound. > > I'm begging you all... get good earplugs, make sure you insert them > properly and were them anytime you plan on getting up to any kind of > speed. It's the wind that gets you. It's possible to get >100dB sound > levels inside a helmet at highway speeds. > > Jeff > rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg > > "M.M." wrote: > > > > > > > I don t understand the thing about earplugs. > > > First of all, I don t think the KLR is noisy. > > > Secondly, I want to hear everything, like my own > > > engine, is there a car coming from behind, is > > > Jennifer > > > calling my name, stuff like that. > > > > I understand the damage that noise trauma has done to > > my hearing. > > > > The problem isn't as much the noise from the KLR as > > much as it is the wind noise. If I could do it all > > over again I would have protected my hearing much > > better than I had in my earlier years. Unfortunately > > by the time I recognized the hearing damage it was > > apparently too late to undo it. Now I have squeeling, > > ringing chirping and clicking in my ears.. also known > > as tinnitus. > > > > I always wear good earplugs and my tinnitus still gets > > louder especially after riding over about 40mph for > > any length of time because of the wind noise. > > > > My hearing has become fragile and I feel it makes me > > more aware than the average person as to what noises > > are traumatic to hearing. > > > > Believe what you wish but if someday you start > > experiencing temporary ringing in your ears from > > noise... be very alarmed if you care to preserve your > > hearing.... temporary tinnitus will eventually change > > to hearing loss and permanent tinnitus. > > > > As far as hearing my engine with ear plugs in I can > > hear it fine... and some of the mechanical sounds I > > can hear detail with earplugs in that I can't hear > > with them out. As far as cars behind me I find the > > rear view mirrors and attentive driving more than make > > up for any reduced hearing with earplugs. As far as > > being able to hear Jennifer calling... I would want to > > be able to have my hearing undamaged so I could be > > able to hear her or anyone or anything else in the > > future. > > > > I consider hearing protection to be essential. I > > highly recommend it. And not only just for when > > riding. Any time you are likely to be exposed to loud > > or nearby noise (baby screams, clapping, whistling > > concerts, power tools, hammering, road noise and so > > on). It may seem like it doesn't matter to you now > > because you don't notice any negative effects yet and > > maybe for some reason it wont cause you a problem. I > > wouldn't count on that if it was me. > > > > Don't mean to sound like a lecture but my experience > > compels me to say what I can to try to raise awareness > > so that hopefully others will not suffer the way I do > > or cause others to suffer by not respecting others' > > hearing. > > > > -Mike > > > > > > > __________________________________________________________ > > Looking for last minute shopping deals? > > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. > http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping > http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping> > > > >
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

E.L. Green

hearing protection

Post by E.L. Green » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:12 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Jacobus De Bruyn wrote:
> I am sorry to hear about your hearing problem, and my > opinion was more a question than an opinion anyway. > I have no issue with wind noise, and my helmets are of > the cheaper variety that are commonly sold here. > Could it be that highway speeds are lower here?
I find that wind noise starts being an issue around 40mph or so. I don't bother with earplugs if I'm in the city and I'm not going to go faster than that.
> The only problem I have with my ears is that they are > way too big, but I have put up with that defect for > almost 63 years now, so I ll might as well keep them > to the end. Don t like em, didn t ask for those, but
You're in luck. They sell a very large foam earplug that's perfect for bigger ears. (And no, they don't screw into your ear).
> By the way, I read someone said he could not work in > his garage, because there is no heating. What about a > portable electric heating device? Or he prefers the > basement because that is where the beer is stored? Jacostarica.
From experience, a portable electric heater in an uninsulated garage, all 1,200 watts worth of it, is about like pissing on a forest fire insofar as its ability to be of any use. Garages typically are not built with insulated slabs and that slab gets *cold* when it's below freezing, and simply soaks up the heat. If the garage itself is insulated you may be able to get the interior of the garage up to above freezing. Maybe. I know last time I tried when it was below freezing outside, I got the temperature up to around 5F above freezing and that was all she wrote (granted there was not good insulation in that garage, but it *was* insulated). Portable electric heaters simply aren't powerful enough to do diddly, he'd have to go to one of those kerosene heaters to get enough heat to heat up his garage, but those things are big and bulky and dangerous. But since you live in a hot climate, I will excuse you for your lack of knowledge here, or maybe curse you for living in a hot climate heh!

martin polach

hearing protection

Post by martin polach » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:17 pm

Actually I think that the helmet manufacturers have a lot to answer for. I can get an exact replica of the helmet worn by "Johnny Hotshot" but I cannot get get a "quiet" helmet. I don't know if they are afraid of the liability issues..."Honest officer ...I never heard the sirens...my 'Silencio' special quiet helmet blocked the sounds" or they are just unwilling to do the R&D that would be necessary. {The majority of their customers have quit riding before before the unfortunate consequences of degraded hearing show up}{This group is more the exception} Surely the area that goes over the ear could be better sealed / denser foam / etc. / (similar to the "Mickey Mouse" ear cups worn by ground personel at airports..etc) I realize that there are space considerations etc...but the manufacturers would rather give us 'bling' rather than substance. As for helmet quality vs price... can anyone address an actual incident where a rider was more severly injured because he had a 'cheap' helmet? By cheap I am not referring to a helmet that did not fit properly or was of such poor quality that the straps ripped out..but rather a low cost plastic helmet vs a carbon fibre exotic? Maybe I'm just grumpy because the highways are snow covered.. Cheers Martin [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]