nklr: klr supertech?

DSN_KLR650
a14@att.net

watch your back nklr

Post by a14@att.net » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:55 pm

This is a rather intense piece of video footage. Guy on a cycle turns into a smear in the street...... http://share.youthwant.com.tw/sh.php?id=23003335>

John thomas

watch your back nklr

Post by John thomas » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:36 pm

OMG How could you even post that? If my wife ever saw that She would burn my bikes.! Seriously I almost hurled! Thomas Forest Park Ga. "Old Geezer club member 39.6" 90 Tengai 20,451 miles 78 CB400A 7,839 ----- Original Message ---- From: "a14@..." To: DSN_KLR650 DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 8:54:40 PM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Watch Your Back NKLR This is a rather intense piece of video footage. Guy on a cycle turns into a smear in the street...... http://share. youthwant. com.tw/sh. php?id=23003335> ____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62s ... o8Wcj9tAcJ [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

clutz003

watch your back nklr

Post by clutz003 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:47 pm

Didn't really need to see that............ Craig A18 San Jose CA
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, a14@... wrote: > > This is a rather intense piece of video footage. Guy > on a cycle turns into a smear in the street...... > > http://share.youthwant.com.tw/sh.php?id=23003335> >

Shane

watch your back nklr

Post by Shane » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:11 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, a14@... wrote:
> > This is a rather intense piece of video footage. Guy > on a cycle turns into a smear in the street...... > > http://share.youthwant.com.tw/sh.php?id=23003335> >
GEEEZUZ..Anyone wanna buy a KLR or two?!!?!?!

albatrossklr

watch your back nklr

Post by albatrossklr » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:59 am

Better to die a smear on the roadway than a slob on the sofa.... albatross .............. just saying
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, a14@... wrote: > > This is a rather intense piece of video footage. Guy > on a cycle turns into a smear in the street...... > > http://share.youthwant.com.tw/sh.php?id=23003335> >

Doug Herr

watch your back nklr

Post by Doug Herr » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:33 am

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008, albatrossklr wrote:
> Better to die a smear on the roadway than a slob on the sofa.... > > albatross > .............. just saying
I was not going to post, but since I am only the second with "the other side"... I have always felt it best to hold a bit of fear while riding. Sometimes we need refreshers on the basis of that fear. That video almost looked fake, but only due to the overt carnage of it. That really *is* what can happen. You don't need to be on a two wheeler for that to happen. Awareness and a touch of fear can save your life; not always but often enough to make it useful. -- Doug Herr doug@... A16 in Oakland, California

mikeypep

watch your back nklr

Post by mikeypep » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:53 am

I really don't want to feed this doom and gloom thread, but I would like to share my thoughts. As an experienced rider (I qualify for "senior" discounts at Mc Donalds) I have a lot of experience on the bars. No crashes (sign of the cross), only a couple of drops.The only close calls I've had is when I didn't pay attention! I find its all about awareness. I refuse to ride in fear but when I ride every second is in full "observer" mode. My mind operates at full speed registering every moving vehicle, every change in traffic, every foar surface, every driver IN the cage. I don't have any brain capacity for music or visual distractions, although this is sometimes a very tough call. ATGAT is more than just what you wear, its really a mindset. I could go on for pages with little hints to make for a safer ride, but that would be like preaching. I love riding too much to ride foolishly. Keeping in mind the old addage "there are only two kinds of riders, those who have had an accident and those who are about to", awareness postpones the inevitable, hopefully til after I retire from riding, somewhere in the distand future. Ride often, ride safe. Comments are welcome.
> > Better to die a smear on the roadway than a slob on the sofa.... > > > > albatross > > .............. just saying > > I was not going to post, but since I am only the second with "the > other side"... > > I have always felt it best to hold a bit of fear while riding. > Sometimes we need refreshers on the basis of that fear. > > That video almost looked fake, but only due to the overt carnage > of it. That really *is* what can happen. You don't need to be > on a two wheeler for that to happen. Awareness and a touch of > fear can save your life; not always but often enough to make it > useful. > > -- > Doug Herr > doug@... > A16 in Oakland, California >

mikeypep

watch your back nklr

Post by mikeypep » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:04 am

Lesson here; pay attention to what's behind you as well as whats out in front! My deepest sympathies to those close to the rider.

Ronald Criswell

watch your back nklr

Post by Ronald Criswell » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:34 am

I was nailed in the early seventies at a dead stop waiting for the light to turn green. His left headlight implanted itself squarely at the rear of my seat / carrying rack as he ran the light and flattened the rear of the bike all the way to the axle on my H1 Kawasaki. Luckily I sit pretty far forward with a firm grip on the bars. As I was flying through the air (bikes don't handle well with a completely flat rim / tire), I hoped it was a rich guy in a Cadillac or Mercedes. As I hit the ground on my helmet (they do work by the way - even cheap ones). I watched a beater pickup that hit me drive off but he was caught a block or 2 afterwards by a witness. Scenario: falling down drunk service station attendant with no money living with his brother as his wife had recently kicked him out - coming back from buying one more 6 pack in the next town (dry town we lived in). I asked him later why he ran. Answer : he thought he had killed me. As one who likes to drink, I sorta understood. Sorta. Learned lessons: don't ride at night when the drunks are out especially in black riding gear and don't sign a release until you are sure you have enough money to fix your bike and you. My back still hurts. Criswell
On Jan 26, 2008, at 9:53 AM, mikeypep wrote: > > I really don't want to feed this doom and gloom thread, but I would > like to share my thoughts. As an experienced rider (I qualify > for "senior" discounts at Mc Donalds) I have a lot of experience on > the bars. No crashes (sign of the cross), only a couple of drops.The > only close calls I've had is when I didn't pay attention! I find its > all about awareness. I refuse to ride in fear but when I ride every > second is in full "observer" mode. My mind operates at full speed > registering every moving vehicle, every change in traffic, every foar > surface, every driver IN the cage. I don't have any brain capacity > for music or visual distractions, although this is sometimes a very > tough call. ATGAT is more than just what you wear, its really a > mindset. I could go on for pages with little hints to make for a > safer ride, but that would be like preaching. > I love riding too much to ride foolishly. > Keeping in mind the old addage "there are only two kinds of riders, > those who have had an accident and those who are about to", awareness > postpones the inevitable, hopefully til after I retire from riding, > somewhere in the distand future. > Ride often, ride safe. > Comments are welcome. > > > > Better to die a smear on the roadway than a slob on the sofa.... > > > > > > albatross > > > .............. just saying > > > > I was not going to post, but since I am only the second with "the > > other side"... > > > > I have always felt it best to hold a bit of fear while riding. > > Sometimes we need refreshers on the basis of that fear. > > > > That video almost looked fake, but only due to the overt carnage > > of it. That really *is* what can happen. You don't need to be > > on a two wheeler for that to happen. Awareness and a touch of > > fear can save your life; not always but often enough to make it > > useful. > > > > -- > > Doug Herr > > doug@... > > A16 in Oakland, California > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Gary LaRue

watch your back nklr

Post by Gary LaRue » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:39 pm

Well said. Every time I've had any conversation RE bike safety, I always share this rule. Rule #1: You're invisible. That mindset kept me alive with only one minor fender bender during 15 years or so of riding in the San Francisco bay area in any and all kinds of weather. My son has ridden around Bowling Green, KY for a number of years with only one mishap. I'm training my new wife now in the same mindset, and we both took the MSF course. These things will keep you alive. Lash From: mikeypep I really don't want to feed this doom and gloom thread, but I would like to share my thoughts. As an experienced rider (I qualify for "senior" discounts at Mc Donalds) I have a lot of experience on the bars. No crashes (sign of the cross), only a couple of drops.The only close calls I've had is when I didn't pay attention! I find its all about awareness. I refuse to ride in fear but when I ride every second is in full "observer" mode. My mind operates at full speed registering every moving vehicle, every change in traffic, every foar surface, every driver IN the cage. I don't have any brain capacity for music or visual distractions, although this is sometimes a very tough call. ATGAT is more than just what you wear, its really a mindset. I could go on for pages with little hints to make for a safer ride, but that would be like preaching. I love riding too much to ride foolishly. Keeping in mind the old addage "there are only two kinds of riders, those who have had an accident and those who are about to", awareness postpones the inevitable, hopefully til after I retire from riding, somewhere in the distand future. Ride often, ride safe. Comments are welcome.
> > Better to die a smear on the roadway than a slob on the sofa.... > > > > albatross > > ............ .. just saying > > I was not going to post, but since I am only the second with "the > other side"... > > I have always felt it best to hold a bit of fear while riding. > Sometimes we need refreshers on the basis of that fear. > > That video almost looked fake, but only due to the overt carnage > of it. That really *is* what can happen. You don't need to be > on a two wheeler for that to happen. Awareness and a touch of > fear can save your life; not always but often enough to make it > useful. > > -- > Doug Herr > doug@... > A16 in Oakland, California >
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]