wheel help!

DSN_KLR650
Tom Collins

nklr - be careful watch out for the other guy

Post by Tom Collins » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:38 pm

Man drives with body hanging out of the back of his car By Wiliam Heisel, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer 10:17 AM PDT, August 28, 2007 A man who drove home with a body hanging out of the back of his car after a traffic accident is scheduled to be charged today with manslaughter. Tony Martinez, 55, of Perris is expected to be charged in Riverside County Superior Court with vehicular manslaughter, hit and run, and driving under the influence, all felonies, California Highway Patrol spokesman Ron Thatcher said. Martinez pulled out of a roadside market parking lot onto Highway 74 near Perris on Saturday night without noticing that Nicholas Justin Campbell, 20, of Moreno Valley was heading toward him on a motorcycle at about 80 miles per hour. Campbell, riding a 2007 Honda motorcycle, crashed into the back of Martinez's 1993 Saturn sedan. His head and torso broke through the rear window. Martinez drove about a mile home with Campbell's body hanging out of the back of the car. Then he drove to a nearby fire station, where Campbell was pronounced dead. Campbell had been wearing a helmet.

Terry Hamrick

Post by Terry Hamrick » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:47 pm

Must go for a ride to get that image out of my head..... albatross
On 8/28/07, Tom Collins wrote: > > Man drives with body hanging out of the back of his car > > By Wiliam Heisel, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer > 10:17 AM PDT, August 28, 2007 > A man who drove home with a body hanging out of the back of his car > after a traffic accident is scheduled to be charged today with > manslaughter. > > Tony Martinez, 55, of Perris is expected to be charged in Riverside > County Superior Court with vehicular manslaughter, hit and run, and > driving under the influence, all felonies, California Highway Patrol > spokesman Ron Thatcher said. > > Martinez pulled out of a roadside market parking lot onto Highway 74 > near Perris on Saturday night without noticing that Nicholas Justin > Campbell, 20, of Moreno Valley was heading toward him on a motorcycle > at about 80 miles per hour. > > Campbell, riding a 2007 Honda motorcycle, crashed into the back of > Martinez's 1993 Saturn sedan. His head and torso broke through the > rear window. Martinez drove about a mile home with Campbell's body > hanging out of the back of the car. Then he drove to a nearby fire > station, where Campbell was pronounced dead. > > Campbell had been wearing a helmet. > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Eric J Foster

Post by Eric J Foster » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:14 am

While the driver of the car was wrong in pulling out, not to mention driving off, the rider of the bike, well, shame on him. Driving defensively is how a biker stays alive, and doing 80 in a location allowing the entry of other vehicles is not doing so. Think, people! E -- Guns kill people like silverware made Rosie O'Donnell fat. http://map.findu.com/ke1lb-14 Good Stuff, Trucks Bring It!!

Jacobus De Bruyn

Post by Jacobus De Bruyn » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:31 am

I just wonder what may have happened the 55 mile speed limit I used to hear so much about in the past? 80 is pretty fast, and should be indulged in, if ever, only on empty, straight roads with no houses and intersections around. In the daytime. If you re going that fast, a stone, a coconut, a small animal or a blow out could be enough to kill you dead. You don t need another idiot, one is enough...you! Jake ____________________________________________________________________________________ Luggage? GPS? Comic books? Check out fitting gifts for grads at Yahoo! Search http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=graduation+gifts&cs=bz

Stuart Mumford

Post by Stuart Mumford » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:58 pm

> -----Original Message----- > Posted by: "Eric J Foster" TheHaymaker@... n1rzc > Date: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:14 am ((PDT)) > > While the driver of the car was wrong in pulling out, not to mention > driving off, the rider of the bike, well, shame on him. Driving > defensively is how a biker stays alive, and doing 80 in a location > allowing the entry of other vehicles is not doing so. > > Think, people! > > E > > --
Come on man, do you even know Highway 74 at all? I have ridden it dozens of times, most recently last week. A modern, well sorted sportbike at 80 is totally prudent for that stretch of road. "Shame on him"? The guy was KILLED! I would think that on a motorcycle e-mail list the blame would be focused on the DRUNK that pulled out into his path, not "shame on him". Should the rider have been more defensive? Sure. I believe the poor guy was 20 years old, give him a break. Who amongst us didn't speed a bit when we were 20? "Shame on him"? no. Shame on you, pal! Thanks CA Stu

Garth Furler

Post by Garth Furler » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:13 pm

Whenever you get on a motorcycle you are taking a larger risk than someone in an enclosed vehicle. The fact that he was speeding does indicate shame on him. Regardless of age. Did I use to speed and do I still speed? Yes. However if I get in a wreck going over the posted speed limit, the blame would, at least partly, fall upon me. Shame also on the driver of the car. Drinking and driving is not acceptable. Both were at fault and to remove the motorcycle rider from fault is not correct. Garth KLR 650 Lime Green Ft Drum NY ----- Original Message ---- From: Stuart Mumford To: No Reply DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 2:58:02 PM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] RE: NKLR - Be careful watch out for the other guy
> -----Original Message----- > Posted by: "Eric J Foster" TheHaymaker@ xr650r.us n1rzc > Date: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:14 am ((PDT)) > > While the driver of the car was wrong in pulling out, not to mention > driving off, the rider of the bike, well, shame on him. Driving > defensively is how a biker stays alive, and doing 80 in a location > allowing the entry of other vehicles is not doing so. > > Think, people! > > E > > --
Come on man, do you even know Highway 74 at all? I have ridden it dozens of times, most recently last week. A modern, well sorted sportbike at 80 is totally prudent for that stretch of road. "Shame on him"? The guy was KILLED! I would think that on a motorcycle e-mail list the blame would be focused on the DRUNK that pulled out into his path, not "shame on him". Should the rider have been more defensive? Sure. I believe the poor guy was 20 years old, give him a break. Who amongst us didn't speed a bit when we were 20? "Shame on him"? no. Shame on you, pal! Thanks CA Stu ____________________________________________________________________________________ Got a little couch potato? Check out fun summer activities for kids. http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=summer+activities+for+kids&cs=bz [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Stephen Grisanti

Post by Stephen Grisanti » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:20 pm

Whoa! Anyone riding/driving 80 on ANY road where someone MIGHT pull out in front of you better be prepared to slow down or die trying. Stephen --- Stuart Mumford wrote:
> > -----Original Message----- > > Posted by: "Eric J Foster" > TheHaymaker@... n1rzc > > Date: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:14 am ((PDT)) > > > > While the driver of the car was wrong in pulling > out, not to mention > > driving off, the rider of the bike, well, shame on > him. Driving > > defensively is how a biker stays alive, and doing > 80 in a location > > allowing the entry of other vehicles is not doing > so. > > > > Think, people! > > > > E > > > > -- > > Come on man, do you even know Highway 74 at all? > > I have ridden it dozens of times, most recently last > week. A modern, well > sorted sportbike at 80 is totally prudent for that > stretch of road. > > "Shame on him"? The guy was KILLED! > > I would think that on a motorcycle e-mail list the > blame would be focused on > the DRUNK that pulled out into his path, not "shame > on him". > > Should the rider have been more defensive? Sure. I > believe the poor guy was > 20 years old, give him a break. > Who amongst us didn't speed a bit when we were 20? > > "Shame on him"? no. > > Shame on you, pal! > > > Thanks > CA Stu > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: > www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: > www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > >
____________________________________________________________________________________ Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online. http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting

Arden Kysely

Post by Arden Kysely » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:26 pm

In the right circumstances, 80 is a nice cruising speed. But not past roadside businesses. There are no circumstances where being a drunk, brain-dead cager is right. In this case, two wrongs, two lapses in judgement, made a dead. __Arden DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Stuart Mumford" wrote:
> > > -----Original Message----- > > Posted by: "Eric J Foster" TheHaymaker@... n1rzc > > Date: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:14 am ((PDT)) > > > > While the driver of the car was wrong in pulling out, not to
mention
> > driving off, the rider of the bike, well, shame on him. Driving > > defensively is how a biker stays alive, and doing 80 in a location > > allowing the entry of other vehicles is not doing so. > > > > Think, people! > > > > E > > > > -- > > Come on man, do you even know Highway 74 at all? > > I have ridden it dozens of times, most recently last week. A
modern, well
> sorted sportbike at 80 is totally prudent for that stretch of road. > > "Shame on him"? The guy was KILLED! > > I would think that on a motorcycle e-mail list the blame would be
focused on
> the DRUNK that pulled out into his path, not "shame on him". > > Should the rider have been more defensive? Sure. I believe the poor
guy was
> 20 years old, give him a break. > Who amongst us didn't speed a bit when we were 20? > > "Shame on him"? no. > > Shame on you, pal! > > > Thanks > CA Stu >

Terry Hamrick

Post by Terry Hamrick » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:50 pm

We all make choices every day. I have been known to twist the throttle a bit and drink a bit. My condolences go out to the family of the rider... And my fervent wish that the drunk is dealt with goes out to whatever god listens.. Other than those statements, I will not pass judgment. I will ask that all who read this remember the tale when they drink or ride. Lessons learned all around. Now, I can't go for a ride to rid myself again of this image. Someone please tell me a tale of a great ride, breath taking scenery, excellent food, challenging trails, lovely women, and good drink at the camp post sunset. albatross with tucked wings today
On 8/30/07, Arden Kysely wrote: > > In the right circumstances, 80 is a nice cruising speed. But not past > roadside businesses. There are no circumstances where being a drunk, > brain-dead cager is right. In this case, two wrongs, two lapses in > judgement, made a dead. > > __Arden > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com , "Stuart > Mumford" > wrote: > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > > Posted by: "Eric J Foster" TheHaymaker@... n1rzc > > > Date: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:14 am ((PDT)) > > > > > > While the driver of the car was wrong in pulling out, not to > mention > > > driving off, the rider of the bike, well, shame on him. Driving > > > defensively is how a biker stays alive, and doing 80 in a location > > > allowing the entry of other vehicles is not doing so. > > > > > > Think, people! > > > > > > E > > > > > > -- > > > > Come on man, do you even know Highway 74 at all? > > > > I have ridden it dozens of times, most recently last week. A > modern, well > > sorted sportbike at 80 is totally prudent for that stretch of road. > > > > "Shame on him"? The guy was KILLED! > > > > I would think that on a motorcycle e-mail list the blame would be > focused on > > the DRUNK that pulled out into his path, not "shame on him". > > > > Should the rider have been more defensive? Sure. I believe the poor > guy was > > 20 years old, give him a break. > > Who amongst us didn't speed a bit when we were 20? > > > > "Shame on him"? no. > > > > Shame on you, pal! > > > > > > Thanks > > CA Stu > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Michael Nelson

Post by Michael Nelson » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:17 pm

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 12:58:02PM -0700, Stuart Mumford wrote:
> I have ridden it dozens of times, most recently last week. A modern, well > sorted sportbike at 80 is totally prudent for that stretch of road.
Obviously not. Not if you can't stop in time when an emergency situation arises, and this rider clearly was outriding his abilities. Sorry he died, but if he wasn't going 80, he might be alive. How many people practice emergency braking from the speeds they think are "prudent"? That's right, almost nobody. Not even me, although I *have* done hard braking practice up to about 50MPH, and it's scary even at 50 without ABS. Michael -- "Do you think that when they asked George Washington for ID he just whipped out a quarter?" --Steven Wright San Francisco, CA