tool kit multimeter and air compressor

DSN_KLR650
zeemanscience

klr will not idle without choke.

Post by zeemanscience » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:04 pm

KLRistas, Hello to all from a lurker, who has been sitting at the computer because of a broken clavicle compliments of the "other" bike, a Hodaka, 250SL. Yes, there is a question here, so I will get to it... Bought my 98 KLR in April, and it ran, idled, and did those KLR things all just fine. Broke clavicle in May, and we have both been sitting around, getting fat and tired until today. I fired Saphira up, and the blue beast started right up. Smiles! I put on the helmet, the jacket, the gloves, tried to take the choke off, and she died. I thought that it was just tired gasoline, and tried to run some through the bike, and rode it to try to blow out the crud. Well, she just stalled when I stopped. Came home, tired and sore, and frustrated. Is there a quick and easy fix, or do I need to remove the carb and borrow and air compressor, and perform strange cleaning rituals on the carb? I have lots of parts to install on my new used bike, but would like to get it running before I take it all apart to put them on, to start from a known state, if that makes sense to anyone else out there? I have basic hand tools, but can "acquire" an air compressor if need be. Is this a case of drain the tank and put in fresh gasoline (he hopes!) The other stuff... Yes, I am male, 52, live in southeastern PA, am not supposed to be riding a bike yet (hey, the next X-rays are on Tuesday), and also have a weakness for Willy's Jeeps. Thank you, and I enjoy this informative group of folks, and hope to meet some of you riding, when I start riding again... Jerry

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:26 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "zeemanscience" wrote:
> > KLRistas, > Hello to all from a lurker, who has been sitting at the computer > because of a broken clavicle compliments of the "other" bike, a > Hodaka, 250SL. Yes, there is a question here, so I will get to it... > Bought my 98 KLR in April, and it ran, idled, and did those KLR > things all just fine. Broke clavicle in May, and we have both been > sitting around, getting fat and tired until today. I fired Saphira
up,
> and the blue beast started right up. Smiles! I put on the helmet,
the
> jacket, the gloves, tried to take the choke off, and she died. I > thought that it was just tired gasoline, and tried to run some
through
> the bike, and rode it to try to blow out the crud. Well, she just > stalled when I stopped. Came home, tired and sore, and frustrated.
Is
> there a quick and easy fix, or do I need to remove the carb and
borrow
> and air compressor, and perform strange cleaning rituals on the
carb?
> I have lots of parts to install on my new used bike, but would > like to get it running before I take it all apart to put them on, to > start from a known state, if that makes sense to anyone else out > there? I have basic hand tools, but can "acquire" an air compressor
if
> need be. Is this a case of drain the tank and put in fresh gasoline > (he hopes!) > The other stuff... Yes, I am male, 52, live in southeastern PA, > am not supposed to be riding a bike yet (hey, the next X-rays are on > Tuesday), and also have a weakness for Willy's Jeeps. Thank you,
and I
> enjoy this informative group of folks, and hope to meet some of you > riding, when I start riding again... Jerry >
Hey Jerry Before you go nuts tearing the carb off, try this. Drain the tank if the fuel smells old. Drain the carb bowl. Replace the fuel.Now your carb is empty, tank full. Problem with modern bikes, and weak batteries. Pull that little vacuum hose off either at the top of the engine side of the carb, or at the fuel tap. introduce vacuum to the fuel tap for a few seconds, to fill the carb and avoid killing the battery by cranking until fuel flows. Open the airbox and remove the filter. Now you need one of those exotic tools never found in a shop- a semi clean rag. Fire up the beast and warm up, choke on is fine. Stuff the rag into the opening leading to the carb throat. This should kill the engine instantly, if not quicker. As soon as you get things sorted out to kill the engine with the rag you are ready to move to CARB 101. Now with the rag out, rev her up to 3-4000RPM momentarily and shove the rag into the throat. You will cause her to go very high vacuum quickly, and try to die out. Don't hold her down long enough to kill her, but pull the rag out before she dies. At the point you stuff the rag, snap open the throttle all the way and hold as she winds down. What you may just do is create enough vacuum to clear the clogged passages in the idle circuit. Here in FL. I have many customers who don't get to use their boats enough and the carbs clog like this. The rag often clears them, avoiding an expensive carb job. I know, I should be taking their money, but there is too much honest work here to play the games. If you have lead a good, honest, clean life the rag will clear the carb, if your Karma account is in any way in the red, well you will know. Let's, just for grins, say the rag works. Then you should dose the fuel with SeaFoam, and ride! Then adopt a dog at the Humane Soc. or something to pump up the Karma account. You don't have to remove the carb from the bike to clean it. If you do have to take off the float bowl just loose the clamps at the boots and turn the unit within the boots to gain access to the screws. Don't forget to remove the choke cap before turning the carb. Good luck with that Clavical! I did mine a few years ago, 4 times to a Femur, and one tib, one fib. Karma all paid up! I hope. Shane

kestrelfal

Post by kestrelfal » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:22 pm

Put a 2X dose of carb/FI cleaner in your tank and go for some rides and she'll be OK. Fred --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "zeemanscience" wrote:
> > KLRistas, > Hello to all from a lurker, who has been sitting at the computer > because of a broken clavicle compliments of the "other" bike, a > Hodaka, 250SL. Yes, there is a question here, so I will get to it... > Bought my 98 KLR in April, and it ran, idled, and did those KLR > things all just fine. Broke clavicle in May, and we have both been > sitting around, getting fat and tired until today. I fired Saphira up, > and the blue beast started right up. Smiles! I put on the helmet, the > jacket, the gloves, tried to take the choke off, and she died. I > thought that it was just tired gasoline, and tried to run some through > the bike, and rode it to try to blow out the crud. Well, she just > stalled when I stopped. Came home, tired and sore, and frustrated. Is > there a quick and easy fix, or do I need to remove the carb and borrow > and air compressor, and perform strange cleaning rituals on the carb? > I have lots of parts to install on my new used bike, but would > like to get it running before I take it all apart to put them on, to > start from a known state, if that makes sense to anyone else out > there? I have basic hand tools, but can "acquire" an air compressor if > need be. Is this a case of drain the tank and put in fresh gasoline > (he hopes!) > The other stuff... Yes, I am male, 52, live in southeastern PA, > am not supposed to be riding a bike yet (hey, the next X-rays are on > Tuesday), and also have a weakness for Willy's Jeeps. Thank you, and I > enjoy this informative group of folks, and hope to meet some of you > riding, when I start riding again... Jerry >

bmwbradkath@verizon.net

Post by bmwbradkath@verizon.net » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:31 am

I used 8 oz of seafoam in the tank and haven't had a problem since Brad
>From: kestrelfal >Date: 2007/07/14 Sat PM 09:22:20 CDT >To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: KLR will not idle without choke. > >Put a 2X dose of carb/FI cleaner in your tank and go for some rides >and she'll be OK. > >Fred > >--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "zeemanscience" >wrote: >> >> KLRistas, >> Hello to all from a lurker, who has been sitting at the computer >> because of a broken clavicle compliments of the "other" bike, a >> Hodaka, 250SL. Yes, there is a question here, so I will get to it... >> Bought my 98 KLR in April, and it ran, idled, and did those KLR >> things all just fine. Broke clavicle in May, and we have both been >> sitting around, getting fat and tired until today. I fired Saphira up, >> and the blue beast started right up. Smiles! I put on the helmet, the >> jacket, the gloves, tried to take the choke off, and she died. I >> thought that it was just tired gasoline, and tried to run some through >> the bike, and rode it to try to blow out the crud. Well, she just >> stalled when I stopped. Came home, tired and sore, and frustrated. Is >> there a quick and easy fix, or do I need to remove the carb and borrow >> and air compressor, and perform strange cleaning rituals on the carb? >> I have lots of parts to install on my new used bike, but would >> like to get it running before I take it all apart to put them on, to >> start from a known state, if that makes sense to anyone else out >> there? I have basic hand tools, but can "acquire" an air compressor if >> need be. Is this a case of drain the tank and put in fresh gasoline >> (he hopes!) >> The other stuff... Yes, I am male, 52, live in southeastern PA, >> am not supposed to be riding a bike yet (hey, the next X-rays are on >> Tuesday), and also have a weakness for Willy's Jeeps. Thank you, and I >> enjoy this informative group of folks, and hope to meet some of you >> riding, when I start riding again... Jerry >> > >

Ross Lindberg

Post by Ross Lindberg » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:34 pm

I stopped by the drugstore and picked up 3 small bottles for liquid medicine. They cost me a quarter each and each one holds 8 ounces, with convenient ounceand milliliter markers on the side of the bottle. I fill them up with Seafoam and carry them with on trips. I add 1 ounce per gallon every time I fill the tank. I'll admit it's probably overkill, but I look at it as preventive maintenance. Ross Lindberg Fertile, MN
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, wrote: > > I used 8 oz of seafoam in the tank and haven't had a problem since > Brad > > >From: kestrelfal > >Date: 2007/07/14 Sat PM 09:22:20 CDT > >To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: KLR will not idle without choke. > > > > >Put a 2X dose of carb/FI cleaner in your tank and go for some rides > >and she'll be OK. > > > >Fred > > > >--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "zeemanscience" > >wrote: > >> > >> KLRistas, > >> Hello to all from a lurker, who has been sitting at the computer > >> because of a broken clavicle compliments of the "other" bike, a > >> Hodaka, 250SL. Yes, there is a question here, so I will get to it... > >> Bought my 98 KLR in April, and it ran, idled, and did those KLR > >> things all just fine. Broke clavicle in May, and we have both been > >> sitting around, getting fat and tired until today. I fired Saphira up, > >> and the blue beast started right up. Smiles! I put on the helmet, the > >> jacket, the gloves, tried to take the choke off, and she died. I > >> thought that it was just tired gasoline, and tried to run some through > >> the bike, and rode it to try to blow out the crud. Well, she just > >> stalled when I stopped. Came home, tired and sore, and frustrated. Is > >> there a quick and easy fix, or do I need to remove the carb and borrow > >> and air compressor, and perform strange cleaning rituals on the carb? > >> I have lots of parts to install on my new used bike, but would > >> like to get it running before I take it all apart to put them on, to > >> start from a known state, if that makes sense to anyone else out > >> there? I have basic hand tools, but can "acquire" an air compressor if > >> need be. Is this a case of drain the tank and put in fresh gasoline > >> (he hopes!) > >> The other stuff... Yes, I am male, 52, live in southeastern PA, > >> am not supposed to be riding a bike yet (hey, the next X-rays are on > >> Tuesday), and also have a weakness for Willy's Jeeps. Thank you, and I > >> enjoy this informative group of folks, and hope to meet some of you > >> riding, when I start riding again... Jerry > >> > > > > >

Jim Douglas

tool kit multimeter and air compressor

Post by Jim Douglas » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:07 am

Luke in Brooklyn wrote:
> > > > I have that meter, I think I spent $15 from rat shack. > The way the leads are attached makes me think they'll > break from folding eventually, but I love how tiny it > is to be full functioned. I never carried a > multimeter on the bike before, and that's small enough > to be a non issue. I don't think it's waterproof, but > it's nicely self contained and TINY. I don't trust it > any more than I'd trust a $1.99 meter from HF, but in > truth it matched my $100 Fluke to a tenth of a volt > the only time I checked... so if the smaller size is > worth the $12 more to you, I endorse it. > > Luke > > Brooklyn NY > 92 CB750 nighthawk--naked simpleton > 03 KLR650--fat girl with a dirty mind >
I actually did that type of testing also $2.99 HF meter against FLUKE, B&K and Extech, there was little difference in the values displayed for DC,AC and measuring a few resistors. Now if I drop the HF one wonder if it's going to work ever again, the others have been dropped from the workbench to the carpeted floor at least once.......................................