oil/filter change

DSN_KLR650
Gary

klr650 footpeg relocation brackets

Post by Gary » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:16 pm

Biker Scout is now taking orders for the footleg relocation brackets that he sent out feelers for a few months ago. If anyone is interested here is the link to the post. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241856 Regards,Gary

revmaaatin

Post by revmaaatin » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:15 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" wrote:
> > Biker Scout is now taking orders for the footleg relocation brackets > that he sent out feelers for a few months ago. If anyone is
interested
> here is the link to the post. > http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241856 > Regards,Gary >
That is one classy farkle. smile. to bad my feet are to small/short. revmaaatin.

Zachariah Mully

Post by Zachariah Mully » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:12 am

On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 23:15 +0000, Gary wrote:
> Biker Scout is now taking orders for the footleg relocation brackets > that he sent out feelers for a few months ago. If anyone is interested > here is the link to the post. > http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241856
These brackets will make breaking pegs off even easier! And it's pretty damn easily already since the stock mounting SUCKS. If anyone gets the brackets, I would *strongly* suggest that you cut the bottom of the footpeg box off, chisel off the two nuts inside, fab a solid chunk of steel to fit back in the box, and weld the bottom back on. With the added leverage that these brackets will give you, I can guarantee that even you old farts will lose a peg or two. And believe me, riding 5+ hours home without a left footpeg and without a rear brake isn't fun. Z

kestrelfal

Post by kestrelfal » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:28 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Zachariah Mully wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 23:15 +0000, Gary wrote: > > Biker Scout is now taking orders for the footleg relocation brackets > > that he sent out feelers for a few months ago. If anyone is
interested
> > here is the link to the post. > > http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241856 > > These brackets will make breaking pegs off even easier! And it's pretty > damn easily already since the stock mounting SUCKS. > > If anyone gets the brackets, I would *strongly* suggest that you cut the > bottom of the footpeg box off, chisel off the two nuts inside, fab a > solid chunk of steel to fit back in the box, and weld the bottom back > on. With the added leverage that these brackets will give you, I can > guarantee that even you old farts will lose a peg or two. And believe > me, riding 5+ hours home without a left footpeg and without a rear brake > isn't fun. > > Z >
My "SWAG" is that the design of the footrest bolted joint is OK if the tightness of the bolts is properly maintained and the joint or footrest design is not modified. Heavy duty riders may want to periodically replace their bolts or use higher strength flange-bolts and carry spares. Fred

Zachariah Mully

Post by Zachariah Mully » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:37 am

On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 15:24 +0000, kestrelfal wrote:
> My "SWAG" is that the design of the > footrest bolted joint is OK if the > tightness of the bolts is properly > maintained and the joint or footrest > design is not modified. Heavy duty > riders may want to periodically replace > their bolts or use higher strength > flange-bolts and carry spares. >
Nope. You assume that BigK actually used metals found on the periodic table to make the KLR out of, instead, it's actually made out of old sushi rice and Sorny shower radios. Even if the bolts are safety wired, they'll get loose as the 8mm bolts are 1) too small for the load and 2) thread into a tiny nut in the foot box that only had three or four complete threads. So short of installing a solid steel chunk in the box, you actually want to do the exact opposite, replace the bolts with the cheapest, softest, shittiest low-grade chinese made bolt you can find. It's a hell of a lot easier to replace a stripped bolt than it is to replace a stripped foot peg box. Believe Me For I Am The Destroyer Of Pegs :) Z

kestrelfal

Post by kestrelfal » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:23 am

> > On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 15:24 +0000, kestrelfal wrote: > > > My "SWAG" is that the design of the > > footrest bolted joint is OK if the > > tightness of the bolts is properly > > maintained and the joint or footrest > > design is not modified. Heavy duty > > riders may want to periodically replace > > their bolts or use higher strength > > flange-bolts and carry spares. > > > > Nope. You assume that BigK actually used metals found on the periodic > table to make the KLR out of, instead, it's actually made out of old > sushi rice and Sorny shower radios. Even if the bolts are safety wired, > they'll get loose as the 8mm bolts are 1) too small for the load and 2) > thread into a tiny nut in the foot box that only had three or four > complete threads. > > So short of installing a solid steel chunk in the box, you actually want > to do the exact opposite, replace the bolts with the cheapest, softest, > shittiest low-grade chinese made bolt you can find. It's a hell of a lot > easier to replace a stripped bolt than it is to replace a stripped foot > peg box. > > Believe Me For I Am The Destroyer Of Pegs > > :) > > Z >
Please don't put words in my mouth. Please read my post carefully and thoughtfully. He who shouts the loudest..... :-) Fred

Zachariah Mully

Post by Zachariah Mully » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:38 am

On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 16:19 +0000, kestrelfal wrote:
> --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Zachariah Mully wrote: > > > > On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 15:24 +0000, kestrelfal wrote: > > > > > My "SWAG" is that the design of the > > > footrest bolted joint is OK if the > > > tightness of the bolts is properly > > > maintained and the joint or footrest > > > design is not modified. Heavy duty > > > riders may want to periodically replace > > > their bolts or use higher strength > > > flange-bolts and carry spares. > > > > > > > Nope. You assume that BigK actually used metals found on the periodic > > table to make the KLR out of, instead, it's actually made out of old > > sushi rice and Sorny shower radios. Even if the bolts are safety wired, > > they'll get loose as the 8mm bolts are 1) too small for the load and 2) > > thread into a tiny nut in the foot box that only had three or four > > complete threads. > > > > So short of installing a solid steel chunk in the box, you actually want > > to do the exact opposite, replace the bolts with the cheapest, softest, > > shittiest low-grade chinese made bolt you can find. It's a hell of a lot > > easier to replace a stripped bolt than it is to replace a stripped foot > > peg box. > > > > Believe Me For I Am The Destroyer Of Pegs > > > > :) > > > > Z > > > > > Please don't put words in my mouth. > Please read my post carefully and > thoughtfully. He who shouts the loudest..... > > :-) > > Fred >
What?? You say they should be okay if tightened properly, or if you periodically replace the bolts. Believe me, you can have the bolts properly tightened, and still lose a peg. And if you go to harder bolts all you're doing is increasing your chances of stripping the footpeg box out and not the bolt, which is NOT a field servicable item. Z

Gary

Post by Gary » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:23 pm

DAMN!! Just when I think I have my KLR more or less bullet proof...someone points out something else for me to worry about. Regards,Gary
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Zachariah Mully wrote: > > On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 16:19 +0000, kestrelfal wrote: > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Zachariah Mully wrote: > > > > > > On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 15:24 +0000, kestrelfal wrote: > > > > > > > My "SWAG" is that the design of the > > > > footrest bolted joint is OK if the > > > > tightness of the bolts is properly > > > > maintained and the joint or footrest > > > > design is not modified. Heavy duty > > > > riders may want to periodically replace > > > > their bolts or use higher strength > > > > flange-bolts and carry spares. > > > > > > > > > > Nope. You assume that BigK actually used metals found on the periodic > > > table to make the KLR out of, instead, it's actually made out of old > > > sushi rice and Sorny shower radios. Even if the bolts are safety wired, > > > they'll get loose as the 8mm bolts are 1) too small for the load and 2) > > > thread into a tiny nut in the foot box that only had three or four > > > complete threads. > > > > > > So short of installing a solid steel chunk in the box, you actually want > > > to do the exact opposite, replace the bolts with the cheapest, softest, > > > shittiest low-grade chinese made bolt you can find. It's a hell of a lot > > > easier to replace a stripped bolt than it is to replace a stripped foot > > > peg box. > > > > > > Believe Me For I Am The Destroyer Of Pegs > > > > > > :) > > > > > > Z > > > > > > > > > Please don't put words in my mouth. > > Please read my post carefully and > > thoughtfully. He who shouts the loudest..... > > > > :-) > > > > Fred > > > > > What?? > > You say they should be okay if tightened properly, or if you > periodically replace the bolts. Believe me, you can have the bolts > properly tightened, and still lose a peg. And if you go to harder bolts > all you're doing is increasing your chances of stripping the footpeg box > out and not the bolt, which is NOT a field servicable item. > > Z >

Zachariah Mully

Post by Zachariah Mully » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:26 pm

On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 19:23 +0000, Gary wrote:
> DAMN!! Just when I think I have my KLR more or less bullet > proof...someone points out something else for me to worry about. > Regards,Gary >
Sorry! Also, the passenger pegs are usable if you lose a foot peg, but you have to be careful as they'll eventually bend inward and foul on your swingarm (either bending completely or leave lotsa nice gouges everywhere). So you need to stop periodically and bend them back out. Z

kestrelfal

Post by kestrelfal » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:16 pm

> > On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 16:19 +0000, kestrelfal wrote: > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Zachariah Mully wrote: > > > > > > On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 15:24 +0000, kestrelfal wrote: > > > > > > > My "SWAG" is that the design of the > > > > footrest bolted joint is OK if the > > > > tightness of the bolts is properly > > > > maintained and the joint or footrest > > > > design is not modified. Heavy duty > > > > riders may want to periodically replace > > > > their bolts or use higher strength > > > > flange-bolts and carry spares. > > > > > > > > > > Nope. You assume that BigK actually used metals found on the
periodic
> > > table to make the KLR out of, instead, it's actually made out of old > > > sushi rice and Sorny shower radios. Even if the bolts are safety
wired,
> > > they'll get loose as the 8mm bolts are 1) too small for the load
and 2)
> > > thread into a tiny nut in the foot box that only had three or four > > > complete threads. > > > > > > So short of installing a solid steel chunk in the box, you
actually want
> > > to do the exact opposite, replace the bolts with the cheapest,
softest,
> > > shittiest low-grade chinese made bolt you can find. It's a hell
of a lot
> > > easier to replace a stripped bolt than it is to replace a
stripped foot
> > > peg box. > > > > > > Believe Me For I Am The Destroyer Of Pegs > > > > > > :) > > > > > > Z > > > > > > > > > Please don't put words in my mouth. > > Please read my post carefully and > > thoughtfully. He who shouts the loudest..... > > > > :-) > > > > Fred > > > > > What?? > > You say they should be okay if tightened properly, or if you > periodically replace the bolts. Believe me, you can have the bolts > properly tightened, and still lose a peg. And if you go to harder bolts > all you're doing is increasing your chances of stripping the footpeg box > out and not the bolt, which is NOT a field servicable item. > > Z >
"You say they should be okay if tightened properly" (wrong) What I wrote: the design of the footrest bolted joint *is OK* if the tightness of the bolts is *properly maintained* "You say they should be okay ..... or if you periodically replace the bolts" (wrong) What I wrote: Heavy duty riders *may* want to periodically replace their bolts