saddleback mtn 4th of july ride

DSN_KLR650
quattrofun@aol.com

bead breaker

Post by quattrofun@aol.com » Thu Sep 28, 2000 3:42 pm

Can anyone suggest a small bead breaker? I see were lots of folks are using side stands,c-clamps ect.. I want to have a bead breaker for the garage. After I struggled for an hour with a fairly new Avon Gripster, which almost became a "Religious Expirience" I would pay to have the real deal. Thanks, Jeff B2

Nassif, Joe

bead breaker

Post by Nassif, Joe » Thu Sep 28, 2000 5:21 pm

Jeff asked about;
> .... a bead breaker for the garage.....
Jeff, I've used the MotionPro (clamp type) tool for years without any problems. The only issue that I have with it is when using in on Sport bike wheels. On my '98 VFR800, it was a chore to use on that 5.5" rear wheel, but on the KLR, it worked great. It can be found everywhere. Chaparral, DK, ect... even J.C. Jipme uh... uh... I mean Whitney has it in their catalog. If you want something a bit more elaborate for more money check out this; http://www.ctm-design.com/prolevr/ or http://www.qni.com/~nyztyz/tireqwik/ I've never used either one and can't vouch for them, but it looks interesting, nonetheless. Joe Nassif Santa Fe, NM http://www.users.uswest.net/~jnassif/

jirvine@nmsu.edu

bead breaker

Post by jirvine@nmsu.edu » Thu Sep 28, 2000 9:18 pm

I use a large size carpenters clamp. Two large chunks of wood with two tightening screws. I've twisted it some but it still works on my XX's 180's. Need a vice grip on the handle but they work. Cost about $17 at Home Depot.

Chris Krok

bead breaker

Post by Chris Krok » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:30 am

> From: Jim > Subject: Re: Re: changing rear tire and flats > > I would love to hear some suggestion on breaking the bead in the > field. This was the most difficult thing IMO.
I've always been able to do it with two 9" tire irons; just put them next to each other and lever them back and forth in opposite directions. I think the only time that didn't work was on a tubeless tire on a friend's bike, but that had also been on there for a looong time. It's always worked on the KLR. Krokko -- Dr. J. Christopher Krok John Lucas Adaptive Wind Tunnel Caltech MS 205-45, Pasadena, CA 91125

Russell Scott

saddleback mtn 4th of july ride

Post by Russell Scott » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:46 am

Chris, it has been awhile since I rode with you and Stu. Let me know when you want to go up there, and I'll meet you guys at a location of your choice. That is the perfect KLR road. As for fires, once was enough. No EFI, just a leaky petcock meeting a hot air box. Hmmm, just can't shake those double entendres. Hit Arrowhead for the 4th of July. Best place to be in SoCal to watch fireworks. Watching all the boats as the fireworks are launched from the barge brings back Tahoe memories. R -----Original Message----- From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Chris Shepard Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2007 7:34 PM To: CA Stu; DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Saddleback Mtn 4th of July ride Ca Stu, Was that the same ride that Russell's bike caught on fire as well? I either read about it or he told me about in email at one time. I cannot go this Saturday but maybe you, Russell and I can do it perhaps this autumn? I have had the pleasure of riding with Mr. Scott in past in Lucerne and then ran into him at the Adelanto Grand Prix years ago. Hasta Luego, Chris -----Original Message-----
>From: CA Stu >Sent: Jul 5, 2007 10:05 PM >To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Saddleback Mtn 4th of July ride > >--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Chris Shepard >wrote: >> >> Stu >> >> Took a nice 4th of July ride up Saddleback Mtn, over to Ortega and >into Wildomar. Dropped into Elsinore and then we went up Indian >Truck Trail and back over Saddleback. They are perfect for the KLR >and you recommended them to me a long time ago and thanks again. >> >> Ran into a guy with a BMW 1100 GS who made the mistake of riding by >himself. A pressurized fuel line ruptured and his bike ended up >catching fire. He was able to get the fire out right away. I guess >that would be one of the downsides of having EFI. I have been so >excited to see the Japanese 4 start putting it on its dirt bikes as a >means to get compliant with the California Air Resources Board so we >can get them street legal. >> >> The above is also an excellent example as to why one should not go >riding alone. The guy was getting pulled with a strap behind a pick >up truck. He dumped the bike and the truck did not stop quick enough >and dragged it on the hard packed ground for 5 feet. I am sure that >this will be an expensive lesson. >> >> Regards, >> >> Chris Shepard >> > > >De nada, amigo. > >I will be glad to host a seminar on correct bike towing technique as >taught to Russell Scott and I by a gentleman who was wiser than we >were. > >Thanks >CA Stu > >PS I'm up for a ride this Saturday. I'll tell the missus I have to go >to work and hit up the Main Divide. I mean heck, that road is work, >huh? :-) >
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]