"overland journal" magazine

DSN_KLR650
oakleydk@telusplanet.net

scottoiler

Post by oakleydk@telusplanet.net » Tue Oct 31, 2000 5:07 am

Greetings I am trying to find out more on the Scotoiler. If it is worth the investment or not for my KLR 650. Anyone out there using this item? Cheers Darryl Oakley Cochrane AB Canada

steve secrest

scottoiler

Post by steve secrest » Tue Oct 31, 2000 5:37 am

Howdy Darryl, I've been running one on mine for almost a year now and love it. Try searching the archives and you'll find a bunch of info about it. Steve in Cincy
> I am trying to find out more on the Scotoiler. If it is worth > the investment or not for my KLR 650. Anyone out there using this > item? > > Cheers > Darryl Oakley > Cochrane AB

Joseph Labate

scottoiler

Post by Joseph Labate » Sun Mar 25, 2001 2:04 am

Eight hour dualsport ride today, first with a recently installed Scottoiler. It did an impressive job of keeping the chain clean in extremely dirty dusty conditions. Or at least most of it. I installed the oiler very similarly to the one on the website. Given its position above the left side of the rear sprocket of the tube that drips the oil, the links on the right side sprocket are not getting much lubricant. Have any of you modified that setup so the entire width of the chain gets oil? Or is it not something to be concerned about? jlabate

Fred Hink

scottoiler

Post by Fred Hink » Sun Mar 25, 2001 7:03 am

Sounds like you need to move your drop tube to the right to center the oil on the chain. The sprockets will help distribute the oil evenly. Fred www.arrowheadmotorsports.com
----- Original Message ----- From: Joseph Labate To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2001 12:04 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Scottoiler Eight hour dualsport ride today, first with a recently installed Scottoiler. It did an impressive job of keeping the chain clean in extremely dirty dusty conditions. Or at least most of it. I installed the oiler very similarly to the one on the website. Given its position above the left side of the rear sprocket of the tube that drips the oil, the links on the right side sprocket are not getting much lubricant. Have any of you modified that setup so the entire width of the chain gets oil? Or is it not something to be concerned about? jlabate [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

scottoiler

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 03, 2001 6:32 am

If this has been beat to death, I apologize. I have been watching the list for 2 months and haven't seen it discussed. I bought a KLR with only 1000 miles on a new premium chain and new sprockets. About 8% of the o-rings are already gone. Not good. Trying to learn about chain maintenence. Looking for experiences with the ScottOiler, both good and bad. Don't wanna hang stuff on a machine that isn't worthwhile, but don't want to trash $100 chains either. Many must have used the ScottOiler. Please share your experiences and opinions.

Tom Simpson

scottoiler

Post by Tom Simpson » Tue Apr 03, 2001 6:41 am

At 06:35 AM 4/3/01 -0400, Michael Lipke wrote:
>If this has been beat to death, I apologize. I have been watching the list >for 2 months and haven't seen it discussed. >I bought a KLR with only 1000 miles on a new premium chain and new >sprockets. About 8% of the o-rings are already gone. Not good. Trying to >learn about chain maintenence. >Looking for experiences with the ScottOiler, both good and bad. Don't wanna >hang stuff on a machine that isn't worthwhile, but don't want to trash $100 >chains either. >Many must have used the ScottOiler. Please share your experiences and >opinions.
I have had one for going on two years now, and would never have a chain-drive bike without one again. Makes life a lot easier. -Tom '96 KLR 650

Don Detloff

scottoiler

Post by Don Detloff » Tue Apr 03, 2001 7:57 am

> ... Many must have used the ScottOiler. Please share your > experiences and opinions.
I put one on my A14 last summer and have about 4000 miles of use. I am very satisfied with it. Don Detloff Fair Haven, MI A14 with a nicely lubed chain

jlabate@dakotacom.net

scottoiler

Post by jlabate@dakotacom.net » Tue Apr 03, 2001 11:48 am

I got my first klr in November and put the Scotoiler on two rides ago. It appears to have great potential. I noted in response to a question similar to yours, one lister said they didn't use any kind of oiler as they had "only" to do it manually once per week. Too much for me and the automatic oiling is always doing its thing.

Alex Jomarron

scottoiler

Post by Alex Jomarron » Tue Apr 03, 2001 3:05 pm

My Scottoiler equipped KLR got 20k out of my stock chain and sprockets. Granted, I should have changed them around 16k, but I was very happy as I am a known chain butcher!! ===== Alex Jomarron West Dundee, Illinois USA __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail. http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Robin Van Eyk

scottoiler

Post by Robin Van Eyk » Thu May 08, 2003 11:37 pm

I've been thinking about getting one of the automatic chain oilers as my next 'mod' to my bike, and I was looking at the Scottoiler. It is supposed to work off the vacuum of the engine, without affecting performance. Yet it will dispense a metered amount of oil directly to the chain. Has anyone ever installed this on their bike? I would like to hear any feedback, good or bad. Thanks, Robin A15