fork seal, now fork oil

DSN_KLR650
Zensur

2002 klr

Post by Zensur » Wed Jun 06, 2001 11:35 pm

What will be the 2002 color ?Well Kawasaki had the 2002 KLR out in time for Laguna Seca last year which means we should only have another month to wait. I still think the UK scheme looks nice in blue or green. http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/bikes/bike_spec.asp?model=kl650-c7&range=trails Where did the rumour about a yellow one come from ? New Kawasaki models seem to be a bit scarce on the rumour mill. The only thing I can find through surfing is Talk of a replacement for the ZX7R. Perhaps a KLX450 ??? Mark KLRA13 ZX6RJ1

Kurt Simpson

2002 klr

Post by Kurt Simpson » Wed Jun 06, 2001 11:49 pm

Where did the rumour about a yellow one come from ? New Kawasaki models seem to be a bit scarce on the rumour mill. The only thing I can find through surfing is Talk of a replacement for the ZX7R. Perhaps a KLX450 ??? ______ Gino and I got it straight from the horse's mouth....Hiro Watanabe... Kurt

E.L. Green

fork seal, now fork oil

Post by E.L. Green » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:43 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Schoenleber" wrote:
> > I find the 10 wt to be too harsh. I don't know about you guys, > > but the roads around here seem to be getting worse, not better. > It seems > > that most corners are bumpy, not smooth. I really prefer the 7 > wt. > I'll second Paul's advice. I've tried lots of different oil on the > KLR, with the progressive springs. I really like the 7wt the best. > It works better on and (especially) offroad, allowing the forks to > react quickly and damp out all the jitters, while still dealing
with
> the big hits OK (for a KLR). I also have a fork brace. The heavier > oils were just too harsh, and didn't allow the suspension to react > quickly enough.
Really, it all depends on three things: 1. Your weight. 2. The amount of weight you're carrying. 3. The stiffness of your springing. Your oil has to match the stiffness of your springing, which in turn depends upon your weight and the amount of weight you're carrying. If the oil is stiffer than your springing, the shock will "pack up" and skip over the top of the bumps (too much rebound damping) and the compression damping will be harsh. If the oil is not stiff enough to match your springing, your front end will bounce all around on rough roads because there won't be enough damping to kill the bounce of the springs. So if you're running stock springs in your front forks, or little preload with aftermarket springs, 10W or lighter probably is a good idea. But I'm running 10W with heavier springs, and it still allows just a tiny bit too much bounce on washboard, my front end doesn't feel "planted" it feels like it is bouncing all over the place. So for me, 10W is too light. (But 15W is *way* too heavy, sigh... one of these days I'll have to blend the "right" oil for my setup). So anyhow, saying there is one magic weight for fork oil is like saying that there's only one way to cook eggs. The only correct answer here is "it depends." _E