woozy speedometer update

DSN_KLR650
Fred Hink

many thanks

Post by Fred Hink » Wed Sep 05, 2001 9:31 pm

I received a call from Seamus Mullen this evening. He is on his KLR and has run into problems in Acapulco, Mexico. He called me because he has an engine noise that was bothering him. He has his engine apart and was wanting a piston since he says his piston had scratches on it. I gather from his description that the scratches are very minimal and probably just normal wear and tear. I am sending him a gasket set since I believe his piston to be in good enough shape to get him home. I doubt that he has adjusted his counter balancer since he didn't know much about it. I gave him my advice that I thought his "noise" was probably just the counter balancer being loose. Does anyone have any better suggestions for him to check out? Since he has his engine in pieces in a Mexican motorcycle shop, it would be a good time to check it completely. (It wasn't my idea to take his engine apart - I just got involved since he called me for parts and advice.) Does anyone have the engine section of the Service Manuals scanned to send to Seamus in an email? He is needing torque specs. Anyone on the list living near Acapulco, Mexico that might help out a fellow traveler? Contact Seamus at: seamusmullen@... Fred www.arrowheadmotorsports.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Seamus Mullen" To: Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 6:50 PM Subject: many thanks > FRed > > thanks so much for your help on the phone, i greatly > appreciate it. one question, if it is a question of > the counter balancer being out of adjustment or loose, > could this account for a loss of power and/or slightly > low compression? as i said before, the cylinder is > only slightly burnished. the loss of power is > negligible, hard to diagnose because as soon as i hear > the metalic clinking sound, i back off the throttle > and then if i accelerate gently from there, i no > longer hear the sound. > > now to be sure that i understand the adjustment, i > remove the plastic plug on the left handside (or in my > case i have the engine apart) and i back off the bolt > a half turn or so, very gently until i hear a spring > release and then? sorry it was hard for me to hear you > over the phone and i am not familiar with the > procedure. > > let me describe the problem as best i can to help you > understand it. if i am accelerating very quickly, > occasionally in second, but most commonly in fourth or > fifth and the bike is under load (this never happens > when i accelerate rapidly downhill) i hear a pling > pling metallic sound and it doesn{t accelerate quite > as quickly as it ought to. this started in Baja (about > 2000 miles ago) and it has got a little more > noticeable since. also if it isn{t too late can you > include a valve shim kit and charge it to my credit > card? and let me know what the clearances should be, > just to be sure. could it be that the valves are > slightly out of adjustment and that accounts for the > loss of compression and the counterbalancer chain is > making the noise? i am just speculating. i still > have several thousand miles to go before i am safely > home in the states and it would be great peace of mind > to fix this once adn for all. > > again thanks for all your help. > > seamus > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant messaging with Yahoo! Messenger > http://im.yahoo.com >

Peter Dahlheimer, MD

many thanks

Post by Peter Dahlheimer, MD » Wed Sep 05, 2001 10:02 pm

i'll scan and send the top end sections from the 600 manual and 650 supplement.
> -----Original Message----- > From: Fred Hink [mailto:moabmc@...] > Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 8:31 PM > To: KLR List > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Fw: many thanks > > > I received a call from Seamus Mullen this evening. He is on his > KLR and has > run into problems in Acapulco, Mexico. He called me because he has an > engine noise that was bothering him. He has his engine apart and was > wanting a piston since he says his piston had scratches on it. I gather > from his description that the scratches are very minimal and probably just > normal wear and tear. I am sending him a gasket set since I believe his > piston to be in good enough shape to get him home. I doubt that he has > adjusted his counter balancer since he didn't know much about it. I gave > him my advice that I thought his "noise" was probably just the counter > balancer being loose. > > Does anyone have any better suggestions for him to check out? > Since he has > his engine in pieces in a Mexican motorcycle shop, it would be a good time > to check it completely. (It wasn't my idea to take his engine > apart - I just > got involved since he called me for parts and advice.) Does > anyone have the > engine section of the Service Manuals scanned to send to Seamus > in an email? > He is needing torque specs. > > Anyone on the list living near Acapulco, Mexico that might help > out a fellow > traveler? > Contact Seamus at: seamusmullen@... > > > Fred > www.arrowheadmotorsports.com > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Seamus Mullen" > To: > Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 6:50 PM > Subject: many thanks > > > > FRed > > > > thanks so much for your help on the phone, i greatly > > appreciate it. one question, if it is a question of > > the counter balancer being out of adjustment or loose, > > could this account for a loss of power and/or slightly > > low compression? as i said before, the cylinder is > > only slightly burnished. the loss of power is > > negligible, hard to diagnose because as soon as i hear > > the metalic clinking sound, i back off the throttle > > and then if i accelerate gently from there, i no > > longer hear the sound. > > > > now to be sure that i understand the adjustment, i > > remove the plastic plug on the left handside (or in my > > case i have the engine apart) and i back off the bolt > > a half turn or so, very gently until i hear a spring > > release and then? sorry it was hard for me to hear you > > over the phone and i am not familiar with the > > procedure. > > > > let me describe the problem as best i can to help you > > understand it. if i am accelerating very quickly, > > occasionally in second, but most commonly in fourth or > > fifth and the bike is under load (this never happens > > when i accelerate rapidly downhill) i hear a pling > > pling metallic sound and it doesn{t accelerate quite > > as quickly as it ought to. this started in Baja (about > > 2000 miles ago) and it has got a little more > > noticeable since. also if it isn{t too late can you > > include a valve shim kit and charge it to my credit > > card? and let me know what the clearances should be, > > just to be sure. could it be that the valves are > > slightly out of adjustment and that accounts for the > > loss of compression and the counterbalancer chain is > > making the noise? i am just speculating. i still > > have several thousand miles to go before i am safely > > home in the states and it would be great peace of mind > > to fix this once adn for all. > > > > again thanks for all your help. > > > > seamus > > > > __________________________________________________ > > Do You Yahoo!? > > Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant messaging with Yahoo! > Messenger > > http://im.yahoo.com > > > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ >
_________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @... address at http://mail.yahoo.com

Peter Dahlheimer, MD

many thanks

Post by Peter Dahlheimer, MD » Wed Sep 05, 2001 11:04 pm

well, i sent him the supplement part, but he doesn't seem to have the e-mail capacity to receive the base portion the way i'm doing it (about 2.5 meg total for the base portion). i'm using jpeg's with the maximum compression i can, then pkzip'd. if anyone has any other ideas, let er rip...
> -----Original Message----- > From: Fred Hink [mailto:moabmc@...] > Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 8:31 PM > To: KLR List > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Fw: many thanks > > > I received a call from Seamus Mullen this evening. He is on his > KLR and has > run into problems in Acapulco, Mexico. He called me because he has an > engine noise that was bothering him. He has his engine apart and was > wanting a piston since he says his piston had scratches on it. I gather > from his description that the scratches are very minimal and probably just > normal wear and tear. I am sending him a gasket set since I believe his > piston to be in good enough shape to get him home. I doubt that he has > adjusted his counter balancer since he didn't know much about it. I gave > him my advice that I thought his "noise" was probably just the counter > balancer being loose. > > Does anyone have any better suggestions for him to check out? > Since he has > his engine in pieces in a Mexican motorcycle shop, it would be a good time > to check it completely. (It wasn't my idea to take his engine > apart - I just > got involved since he called me for parts and advice.) Does > anyone have the > engine section of the Service Manuals scanned to send to Seamus > in an email? > He is needing torque specs. > > Anyone on the list living near Acapulco, Mexico that might help > out a fellow > traveler? > Contact Seamus at: seamusmullen@... > > > Fred > www.arrowheadmotorsports.com > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Seamus Mullen" > To: > Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 6:50 PM > Subject: many thanks > > > > FRed > > > > thanks so much for your help on the phone, i greatly > > appreciate it. one question, if it is a question of > > the counter balancer being out of adjustment or loose, > > could this account for a loss of power and/or slightly > > low compression? as i said before, the cylinder is > > only slightly burnished. the loss of power is > > negligible, hard to diagnose because as soon as i hear > > the metalic clinking sound, i back off the throttle > > and then if i accelerate gently from there, i no > > longer hear the sound. > > > > now to be sure that i understand the adjustment, i > > remove the plastic plug on the left handside (or in my > > case i have the engine apart) and i back off the bolt > > a half turn or so, very gently until i hear a spring > > release and then? sorry it was hard for me to hear you > > over the phone and i am not familiar with the > > procedure. > > > > let me describe the problem as best i can to help you > > understand it. if i am accelerating very quickly, > > occasionally in second, but most commonly in fourth or > > fifth and the bike is under load (this never happens > > when i accelerate rapidly downhill) i hear a pling > > pling metallic sound and it doesn{t accelerate quite > > as quickly as it ought to. this started in Baja (about > > 2000 miles ago) and it has got a little more > > noticeable since. also if it isn{t too late can you > > include a valve shim kit and charge it to my credit > > card? and let me know what the clearances should be, > > just to be sure. could it be that the valves are > > slightly out of adjustment and that accounts for the > > loss of compression and the counterbalancer chain is > > making the noise? i am just speculating. i still > > have several thousand miles to go before i am safely > > home in the states and it would be great peace of mind > > to fix this once adn for all. > > > > again thanks for all your help. > > > > seamus > > > > __________________________________________________ > > Do You Yahoo!? > > Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant messaging with Yahoo! > Messenger > > http://im.yahoo.com > > > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ >
_________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @... address at http://mail.yahoo.com

Dreas Nielsen

many thanks

Post by Dreas Nielsen » Wed Sep 05, 2001 11:25 pm

Sounds like low-octane gas to me. Dreas
> -----Original Message----- > From: Fred Hink [mailto:moabmc@...] > > I received a call from Seamus Mullen this evening. He is on his > KLR and has > run into problems in Acapulco, Mexico. > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Seamus Mullen" > > let me describe the problem as best i can to help you > > understand it. if i am accelerating very quickly, > > occasionally in second, but most commonly in fourth or > > fifth and the bike is under load (this never happens > > when i accelerate rapidly downhill) i hear a pling > > pling metallic sound and it doesn{t accelerate quite > > as quickly as it ought to.

Fred Hink

many thanks

Post by Fred Hink » Wed Sep 05, 2001 11:26 pm

I brought that up and Seamus says he is running 93 octane. He says he did have some fuel problems earlier but says that has be fixed. He also said he was going to post to the list his adventures pushing his KLR 30 miles across Baja. I can't wait to read that report. Fred www.arrowheadmotorsports.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dreas Nielsen" To: "Fred Hink" ; "KLR List" DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 10:31 PM Subject: RE: [DSN_klr650] Fw: many thanks > Sounds like low-octane gas to me. > > Dreas > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Fred Hink [mailto:moabmc@...] > > > > I received a call from Seamus Mullen this evening. He is on his > > KLR and has > > run into problems in Acapulco, Mexico. > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Seamus Mullen" > > > let me describe the problem as best i can to help you > > > understand it. if i am accelerating very quickly, > > > occasionally in second, but most commonly in fourth or > > > fifth and the bike is under load (this never happens > > > when i accelerate rapidly downhill) i hear a pling > > > pling metallic sound and it doesn{t accelerate quite > > > as quickly as it ought to. > >

Krgrife@aol.com

many thanks

Post by Krgrife@aol.com » Thu Sep 06, 2001 12:24 am

In a message dated 9/5/01 9:26:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time, dnielsen@... writes: << Sounds like low-octane gas to me. >> The current lowest octane Pemex gas is "Magna" which seems equivalant to our unleaded regular. My bikes run just fine on it. Also the higher octane "Premium" is available in some areas. Kurt Grife

RichardM

many thanks

Post by RichardM » Thu Sep 06, 2001 12:28 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Peter Dahlheimer, MD" wrote:
>total for the base portion). i'm using jpeg's with the maximum >compression i can, then pkzip'd.
Scan them as two color GIF's at 300dpi. Another idea is to scan them into Adobe Acrobat (if you have a copy) and make a .pdf. .jpg is a bad format for line art and text. RM

mike@mmadden.fsnet.co.uk

many thanks

Post by mike@mmadden.fsnet.co.uk » Thu Sep 06, 2001 4:57 am

Post the files up here so that he can read 'em on the Web and print them off if neccessary

elcapitanuno31@hotmail.com

many thanks

Post by elcapitanuno31@hotmail.com » Thu Sep 06, 2001 2:04 pm

Thanks Fred....any other Klisters out there that could email me instructions on how to adjust the counter balancer? I am held up on my trip to Panama in Acapulco with my motor completely stripped...Fred has sent me gaskets and i would like to have the bike back together and hit the road as soon as possible. I unfortunately don{t have the entire manual with me and i am unsure how to adjust the counter balancer, frankly i don{t have any idea where to begin. I agree with Fred, the marks on the cylinder are very, very minimal. compression was a bit low at 75 llbs, however. It is not using any oil. any help would be greatly appreciated, i promise to repay with several good yarns from the road, including the story about the 30 miles i had to limp through the desert in Baja in 125 degree heat thanks to some really bad gas. Please respond to seamusmullen@... as hotmail doesn{t seem to be working too well for me here. thanks a lot, Seamus In DSN_klr650@y..., "Fred Hink" wrote:
> I received a call from Seamus Mullen this evening. He is on his
KLR and has
> run into problems in Acapulco, Mexico. He called me because he has
an
> engine noise that was bothering him. He has his engine apart and
was
> wanting a piston since he says his piston had scratches on it. I
gather
> from his description that the scratches are very minimal and
probably just
> normal wear and tear. I am sending him a gasket set since I
believe his
> piston to be in good enough shape to get him home. I doubt that he
has
> adjusted his counter balancer since he didn't know much about it.
I gave
> him my advice that I thought his "noise" was probably just the
counter
> balancer being loose. > > Does anyone have any better suggestions for him to check out?
Since he has
> his engine in pieces in a Mexican motorcycle shop, it would be a
good time
> to check it completely. (It wasn't my idea to take his engine
apart - I just
> got involved since he called me for parts and advice.) Does anyone
have the
> engine section of the Service Manuals scanned to send to Seamus in
an email?
> He is needing torque specs. > > Anyone on the list living near Acapulco, Mexico that might help out
a fellow
> traveler? > Contact Seamus at: seamusmullen@y... > > > Fred > www.arrowheadmotorsports.com > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Seamus Mullen" > To: > Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 6:50 PM > Subject: many thanks > > > > FRed > > > > thanks so much for your help on the phone, i greatly > > appreciate it. one question, if it is a question of > > the counter balancer being out of adjustment or loose, > > could this account for a loss of power and/or slightly > > low compression? as i said before, the cylinder is > > only slightly burnished. the loss of power is > > negligible, hard to diagnose because as soon as i hear > > the metalic clinking sound, i back off the throttle > > and then if i accelerate gently from there, i no > > longer hear the sound. > > > > now to be sure that i understand the adjustment, i > > remove the plastic plug on the left handside (or in my > > case i have the engine apart) and i back off the bolt > > a half turn or so, very gently until i hear a spring > > release and then? sorry it was hard for me to hear you > > over the phone and i am not familiar with the > > procedure. > > > > let me describe the problem as best i can to help you > > understand it. if i am accelerating very quickly, > > occasionally in second, but most commonly in fourth or > > fifth and the bike is under load (this never happens > > when i accelerate rapidly downhill) i hear a pling > > pling metallic sound and it doesn{t accelerate quite > > as quickly as it ought to. this started in Baja (about > > 2000 miles ago) and it has got a little more > > noticeable since. also if it isn{t too late can you > > include a valve shim kit and charge it to my credit > > card? and let me know what the clearances should be, > > just to be sure. could it be that the valves are > > slightly out of adjustment and that accounts for the > > loss of compression and the counterbalancer chain is > > making the noise? i am just speculating. i still > > have several thousand miles to go before i am safely > > home in the states and it would be great peace of mind > > to fix this once adn for all. > > > > again thanks for all your help. > > > > seamus > > > > __________________________________________________ > > Do You Yahoo!? > > Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant messaging with Yahoo! > Messenger > > http://im.yahoo.com > >

weblvr@yahoo.com

many thanks

Post by weblvr@yahoo.com » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:22 am

Many thanks to those who responded to my post #113826 re finding parts for my A16. Two responses on the board and five in my E-Mail! This is truly a great group. When better versed with the bike, mebbe I can even contribute something!