nklr mesquite to toroweap point ride suggestions

DSN_KLR650
usa1911a1

mud ain't no friend of mine.

Post by usa1911a1 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:53 pm

I have discovered a new way to stop, shut off and park the bike. I was out in the woods yesterday...somewhere I should not have been...on a barely visible two track covered with last autumn's leaves. I had been having a better time then any 61 year old should have with a 400 lb. bike in the woods, and was feeling pretty good about some of the hills I climbed. Anyway, I was moving about 15 mph on this nearly invisible track and it turned left along the side of a hill and then it dipped and went to the right up the hill. I was in the left track making the uphill right when I went through the dip. All of a sudden "Praying Mantis" slowed to a stop, stalled and just stood there in the mud in this dip. The consistency of the mud was like thick oatmeal, and I was in it up to the chain. I restarted but "forgetaboutit", just deeper in the mud. I dismounted and the bike just stood there, I couldn't have parked it nicer. By now I was hot from horsing the bike back and forth but getting no where. I pulled off my helmet, gloves, jacket and sunglasses, and just studied the situation while I rested. After a few minutes, I tried to lift the tail out of the muck...no go. I finally dug out from behind the rear wheel and was able to horse the bike back about ten feet to where the mud hardened up a bit and the bike surfaced. Of course at this point he bike tipped over and was belly laughing at me as it lay there. After a few minutes rest, I bench pressed the bike to 45 degrees up and almost had a coronary getting it up all the way. I rode it home and hosed at least ten pounds of mud from everywhere. You would have been very proud of me. All that to say this: From experience, this bike "ain't no mudder". You guys out west must not be riding in deep mud in the woods. The KLR is a hard surface bike that requires an experienced able bodied (read young) person to throw it around, and frankly I don't believe most of what you guys claim. I think you are all a bunch of lying sobs. Ok, I feel better Capt. Bob in Durham, CT. USA http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/ 2006 A6F KLR Green Tires: Mefo 99 Explorers Country roads (20% dirt), dual tracks. NY State and Northern New England [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:28 pm

Ain't spring fun? Just the other day I was riding home from work, enjoying the feeling of the warm sun (I was still in a low speed limit area, so the 40 degree temp didn't get to me yet) and decided to take "the scenic way" and explore a side trail. Once off the road and under the trees the hard ground gave way to spots of mud. That gradually became deeper mud with large patches of snow and ice. Not exactly bike terrain, let alone KLR terrain! I was stubborn though and kept going until the snow got deeper (as well as the mud in between!) I finally made the decision to turn around before I had to call for a truck with a winch. Last nights ride home was later than expected, around 11:30 pm. All of the places that were wet earlier in the day from the spring runoff was now frozen into deadly ice patches. It definitely added to the excitement of riding. Jim
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "usa1911a1" wrote: > > I have discovered a new way to stop, shut off and park the bike. I was out in the woods yesterday...somewhere I should not have been...on a barely visible two track covered with last autumn's leaves. I had been having a better time then any 61 year old should have with a 400 lb. bike in the woods, and was feeling pretty good about some of the hills I climbed. Anyway, I was moving about 15 mph on this nearly invisible track and it turned left along the side of a hill and then it dipped and went to the right up the hill. I was in the left track making the uphill right when I went through the dip. > > All of a sudden "Praying Mantis" slowed to a stop, stalled and just stood there in the mud in this dip. The consistency of the mud was like thick oatmeal, and I was in it up to the chain. I restarted but "forgetaboutit", just deeper in the mud. I dismounted and the bike just stood there, I couldn't have parked it nicer. By now I was hot from horsing the bike back and forth but getting no where. I pulled off my helmet, gloves, jacket and sunglasses, and just studied the situation while I rested. After a few minutes, I tried to lift the tail out of the muck...no go. I finally dug out from behind the rear wheel and was able to horse the bike back about ten feet to where the mud hardened up a bit and the bike surfaced. Of course at this point he bike tipped over and was belly laughing at me as it lay there. After a few minutes rest, I bench pressed the bike to 45 degrees up and almost had a coronary getting it up all the way. I rode it home and hosed at least ten pounds of mud from everywhere. You would have been very proud of me. > > All that to say this: From experience, this bike "ain't no mudder". You guys out west must not be riding in deep mud in the woods. The KLR is a hard surface bike that requires an experienced able bodied (read young) person to throw it around, and frankly I don't believe most of what you guys claim. I think you are all a bunch of lying sobs. > > Ok, I feel better > > > Capt. Bob in Durham, CT. USA > http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/ > 2006 A6F KLR Green > Tires: Mefo 99 Explorers > Country roads (20% dirt), dual tracks. NY State and Northern New England > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >

matteeanne@yahoo.com

Post by matteeanne@yahoo.com » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:08 pm

One more reason I carry a couple hundred feet of rope, carbiners and pullies. It's got me unstuck a few times..... Sean Brown Looking for the perfect gift for the wife/Mom/or "the person who has everything?" www.brownsbirdestates.com To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 11:52:40 AM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Mud ain't no friend of mine. I have discovered a new way to stop, shut off and park the bike. I was out in the woods yesterday... somewhere I should not have been...on a barely visible two track covered with last autumn's leaves. I had been having a better time then any 61 year old should have with a 400 lb. bike in the woods, and was feeling pretty good about some of the hills I climbed. Anyway, I was moving about 15 mph on this nearly invisible track and it turned left along the side of a hill and then it dipped and went to the right up the hill. I was in the left track making the uphill right when I went through the dip. All of a sudden "Praying Mantis" slowed to a stop, stalled and just stood there in the mud in this dip. The consistency of the mud was like thick oatmeal, and I was in it up to the chain. I restarted but "forgetaboutit" , just deeper in the mud. I dismounted and the bike just stood there, I couldn't have parked it nicer. By now I was hot from horsing the bike back and forth but getting no where. I pulled off my helmet, gloves, jacket and sunglasses, and just studied the situation while I rested. After a few minutes, I tried to lift the tail out of the muck...no go. I finally dug out from behind the rear wheel and was able to horse the bike back about ten feet to where the mud hardened up a bit and the bike surfaced. Of course at this point he bike tipped over and was belly laughing at me as it lay there. After a few minutes rest, I bench pressed the bike to 45 degrees up and almost had a coronary getting it up all the way. I rode it home and hosed at least ten pounds of mud from everywhere. You would have been very proud of me. All that to say this: From experience, this bike "ain't no mudder". You guys out west must not be riding in deep mud in the woods. The KLR is a hard surface bike that requires an experienced able bodied (read young) person to throw it around, and frankly I don't believe most of what you guys claim. I think you are all a bunch of lying sobs. Ok, I feel better Capt. Bob in Durham, CT. USA http://www.essexste amtrain.com/ 2006 A6F KLR Green Tires: Mefo 99 Explorers Country roads (20% dirt), dual tracks. NY State and Northern New England [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ____________________________________________________________________________________ The fish are biting. Get more visitors on your site using Yahoo! Search Marketing. http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/arp/sponsoredsearch_v2.php [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Russell Scott

Post by Russell Scott » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:19 pm

Last year, I was out in the middle of nowhere on some single track on my XR. I came across this mud hole in the middle of the trail that was created from the Spring runoff. It looked totally rideable, like stuff I have ridden through numerous times, including a couple of earlier holes that day. When I hit it my bike sank like a rock up to axles and skid plate. I could not get it to budge no matter which way I pushed and pulled it. It was the closest thing to quicksand I have ever encountered. It was getting late, and I was already thinking about the ten mile hike down the mountain to the nearest ranch home. Luckily my riding buddies started backtracking the trails in the area, found me, and helped me pull it out. But this mud had its claws dug in, and it took all three of us everything we had to pull it out. The other problem was because of the narrowness of the trail, we could not get good leverage on it. And that bike weighs one hundred pounds less then the KLR. R -----Original Message----- From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of matteeanne@... Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 2:08 PM To: usa1911a1; DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Mud ain't no friend of mine. One more reason I carry a couple hundred feet of rope, carbiners and pullies. It's got me unstuck a few times..... Sean Brown Looking for the perfect gift for the wife/Mom/or "the person who has everything?" www.brownsbirdestates.com To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 11:52:40 AM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Mud ain't no friend of mine. I have discovered a new way to stop, shut off and park the bike. I was out in the woods yesterday... somewhere I should not have been...on a barely visible two track covered with last autumn's leaves. I had been having a better time then any 61 year old should have with a 400 lb. bike in the woods, and was feeling pretty good about some of the hills I climbed. Anyway, I was moving about 15 mph on this nearly invisible track and it turned left along the side of a hill and then it dipped and went to the right up the hill. I was in the left track making the uphill right when I went through the dip. All of a sudden "Praying Mantis" slowed to a stop, stalled and just stood there in the mud in this dip. The consistency of the mud was like thick oatmeal, and I was in it up to the chain. I restarted but "forgetaboutit" , just deeper in the mud. I dismounted and the bike just stood there, I couldn't have parked it nicer. By now I was hot from horsing the bike back and forth but getting no where. I pulled off my helmet, gloves, jacket and sunglasses, and just studied the situation while I rested. After a few minutes, I tried to lift the tail out of the muck...no go. I finally dug out from behind the rear wheel and was able to horse the bike back about ten feet to where the mud hardened up a bit and the bike surfaced. Of course at this point he bike tipped over and was belly laughing at me as it lay there. After a few minutes rest, I bench pressed the bike to 45 degrees up and almost had a coronary getting it up all the way. I rode it home and hosed at least ten pounds of mud from everywhere. You would have been very proud of me. All that to say this: From experience, this bike "ain't no mudder". You guys out west must not be riding in deep mud in the woods. The KLR is a hard surface bike that requires an experienced able bodied (read young) person to throw it around, and frankly I don't believe most of what you guys claim. I think you are all a bunch of lying sobs. Ok, I feel better Capt. Bob in Durham, CT. USA http://www.essexste amtrain.com/ 2006 A6F KLR Green Tires: Mefo 99 Explorers Country roads (20% dirt), dual tracks. NY State and Northern New England [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] __________________________________________________________ The fish are biting. Get more visitors on your site using Yahoo! Search Marketing. http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/arp/sponsoredsearch_v2.php [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

C L Cooper

Post by C L Cooper » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:59 pm

~150 mile ride last weekend thru hills east, north and big loop back home... mid-sixties, sunny, orange trees and many other blossoms are very fragrant. Absolutely beautiful. Not quite so far this weekend. Just a little cooler. Maybe low sixties, sunny, again, beautiful. Mud.... don't know what you guys are talkin' about ;~) The new 685 engine is great!!! Chuck C Gloating in Sunny San Diego
On 3/31/07, Jim wrote: > > Ain't spring fun? Just the other day I was riding home from work, > enjoying the feeling of the warm sun (I was still in a low speed limit > area, so the 40 degree temp didn't get to me yet) and decided to take > "the scenic way" and explore a side trail. Once off the road and under > the trees the hard ground gave way to spots of mud. That gradually > became deeper mud with large patches of snow and ice. Not exactly bike > terrain, let alone KLR terrain! I was stubborn though and kept going > until the snow got deeper (as well as the mud in between!) I finally > made the decision to turn around before I had to call for a truck with > a winch. > > Last nights ride home was later than expected, around 11:30 pm. All of > the places that were wet earlier in the day from the spring runoff was > now frozen into deadly ice patches. It definitely added to the > excitement of riding. > > Jim > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com , > "usa1911a1" wrote: > > > > I have discovered a new way to stop, shut off and park the bike. I > was out in the woods yesterday...somewhere I should not have been...on > a barely visible two track covered with last autumn's leaves. I had > been having a better time then any 61 year old should have with a 400 > lb. bike in the woods, and was feeling pretty good about some of the > hills I climbed. Anyway, I was moving about 15 mph on this nearly > invisible track and it turned left along the side of a hill and then > it dipped and went to the right up the hill. I was in the left track > making the uphill right when I went through the dip. > > > > All of a sudden "Praying Mantis" slowed to a stop, stalled and just > stood there in the mud in this dip. The consistency of the mud was > like thick oatmeal, and I was in it up to the chain. I restarted but > "forgetaboutit", just deeper in the mud. I dismounted and the bike > just stood there, I couldn't have parked it nicer. By now I was hot > from horsing the bike back and forth but getting no where. I pulled > off my helmet, gloves, jacket and sunglasses, and just studied the > situation while I rested. After a few minutes, I tried to lift the > tail out of the muck...no go. I finally dug out from behind the rear > wheel and was able to horse the bike back about ten feet to where the > mud hardened up a bit and the bike surfaced. Of course at this point > he bike tipped over and was belly laughing at me as it lay there. > After a few minutes rest, I bench pressed the bike to 45 degrees up > and almost had a coronary getting it up all the way. I rode it home > and hosed at least ten pounds of mud from everywhere. You would have > been very proud of me. > > > > All that to say this: From experience, this bike "ain't no mudder". > You guys out west must not be riding in deep mud in the woods. The > KLR is a hard surface bike that requires an experienced able bodied > (read young) person to throw it around, and frankly I don't believe > most of what you guys claim. I think you are all a bunch of lying sobs. > > > > Ok, I feel better > > > > > > Capt. Bob in Durham, CT. USA > > http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/ > > 2006 A6F KLR Green > > Tires: Mefo 99 Explorers > > Country roads (20% dirt), dual tracks. NY State and Northern New England > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

usa1911a1

Post by usa1911a1 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:17 am

See Jim, I told ya. They don't ride like a man through snow and mud...damn orange Blossoms, and sweet fragrances. Next thing ya know they'll admit to eatin that there keeshy stuff. Capt. Bob in Durham, CT. USA http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/ 2006 A6F KLR Green Tires: Mefo 99 Explorers Country roads (20% dirt), dual tracks. NY State and Northern New England
----- Original Message ----- From: C L Cooper To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 10:59 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Mud ain't no friend of mine. ~150 mile ride last weekend thru hills east, north and big loop back home... mid-sixties, sunny, orange trees and many other blossoms are very fragrant. Absolutely beautiful. Not quite so far this weekend. Just a little cooler. Maybe low sixties, sunny, again, beautiful. Mud.... don't know what you guys are talkin' about ;~) The new 685 engine is great!!! Chuck C Gloating in Sunny San Diego On 3/31/07, Jim wrote: > > Ain't spring fun? Just the other day I was riding home from work, > enjoying the feeling of the warm sun (I was still in a low speed limit > area, so the 40 degree temp didn't get to me yet) and decided to take > "the scenic way" and explore a side trail. Once off the road and under > the trees the hard ground gave way to spots of mud. That gradually > became deeper mud with large patches of snow and ice. Not exactly bike > terrain, let alone KLR terrain! I was stubborn though and kept going > until the snow got deeper (as well as the mud in between!) I finally > made the decision to turn around before I had to call for a truck with > a winch. > > Last nights ride home was later than expected, around 11:30 pm. All of > the places that were wet earlier in the day from the spring runoff was > now frozen into deadly ice patches. It definitely added to the > excitement of riding. > > Jim > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com , > "usa1911a1" wrote: > > > > I have discovered a new way to stop, shut off and park the bike. I > was out in the woods yesterday...somewhere I should not have been...on > a barely visible two track covered with last autumn's leaves. I had > been having a better time then any 61 year old should have with a 400 > lb. bike in the woods, and was feeling pretty good about some of the > hills I climbed. Anyway, I was moving about 15 mph on this nearly > invisible track and it turned left along the side of a hill and then > it dipped and went to the right up the hill. I was in the left track > making the uphill right when I went through the dip. > > > > All of a sudden "Praying Mantis" slowed to a stop, stalled and just > stood there in the mud in this dip. The consistency of the mud was > like thick oatmeal, and I was in it up to the chain. I restarted but > "forgetaboutit", just deeper in the mud. I dismounted and the bike > just stood there, I couldn't have parked it nicer. By now I was hot > from horsing the bike back and forth but getting no where. I pulled > off my helmet, gloves, jacket and sunglasses, and just studied the > situation while I rested. After a few minutes, I tried to lift the > tail out of the muck...no go. I finally dug out from behind the rear > wheel and was able to horse the bike back about ten feet to where the > mud hardened up a bit and the bike surfaced. Of course at this point > he bike tipped over and was belly laughing at me as it lay there. > After a few minutes rest, I bench pressed the bike to 45 degrees up > and almost had a coronary getting it up all the way. I rode it home > and hosed at least ten pounds of mud from everywhere. You would have > been very proud of me. > > > > All that to say this: From experience, this bike "ain't no mudder". > You guys out west must not be riding in deep mud in the woods. The > KLR is a hard surface bike that requires an experienced able bodied > (read young) person to throw it around, and frankly I don't believe > most of what you guys claim. I think you are all a bunch of lying sobs. > > > > Ok, I feel better > > > > > > Capt. Bob in Durham, CT. USA > > http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/ > > 2006 A6F KLR Green > > Tires: Mefo 99 Explorers > > Country roads (20% dirt), dual tracks. NY State and Northern New England > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:15 am

Yep. Same guys I hear drink coffee with flavors, or that Crap-O-Chino stuff. I hope they have a bracket to mount the sun umbrella to the KLR, so they don't burn their dainty white skin. ;-) Yesterday I parked my bike on the ice on the local pond just so I can say I did it. Its supposed to be in the 50's tomorrow (!!!!) so I'm going for a ride! Jim
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "usa1911a1" wrote: > > See Jim, I told ya. They don't ride like a man through snow and mud...damn orange Blossoms, and sweet fragrances. Next thing ya know they'll admit to eatin that there keeshy stuff. > > Capt. Bob in Durham, CT. USA > http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/ > 2006 A6F KLR Green > Tires: Mefo 99 Explorers > Country roads (20% dirt), dual tracks. NY State and Northern New England > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: C L Cooper > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 10:59 PM > Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Mud ain't no friend of mine. > > > ~150 mile ride last weekend thru hills east, north and big loop back home... > mid-sixties, sunny, orange trees and many other blossoms are very fragrant. > Absolutely beautiful. Not quite so far this weekend. Just a little cooler. > Maybe low sixties, sunny, again, beautiful. > > Mud.... don't know what you guys are talkin' about ;~) > > The new 685 engine is great!!! > > Chuck C > Gloating in Sunny San Diego > > On 3/31/07, Jim wrote: > > > > Ain't spring fun? Just the other day I was riding home from work, > > enjoying the feeling of the warm sun (I was still in a low speed limit > > area, so the 40 degree temp didn't get to me yet) and decided to take > > "the scenic way" and explore a side trail. Once off the road and under > > the trees the hard ground gave way to spots of mud. That gradually > > became deeper mud with large patches of snow and ice. Not exactly bike > > terrain, let alone KLR terrain! I was stubborn though and kept going > > until the snow got deeper (as well as the mud in between!) I finally > > made the decision to turn around before I had to call for a truck with > > a winch. > > > > Last nights ride home was later than expected, around 11:30 pm. All of > > the places that were wet earlier in the day from the spring runoff was > > now frozen into deadly ice patches. It definitely added to the > > excitement of riding. > > > > Jim > > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com , > > "usa1911a1" wrote: > > > > > > I have discovered a new way to stop, shut off and park the bike. I > > was out in the woods yesterday...somewhere I should not have been...on > > a barely visible two track covered with last autumn's leaves. I had > > been having a better time then any 61 year old should have with a 400 > > lb. bike in the woods, and was feeling pretty good about some of the > > hills I climbed. Anyway, I was moving about 15 mph on this nearly > > invisible track and it turned left along the side of a hill and then > > it dipped and went to the right up the hill. I was in the left track > > making the uphill right when I went through the dip. > > > > > > All of a sudden "Praying Mantis" slowed to a stop, stalled and just > > stood there in the mud in this dip. The consistency of the mud was > > like thick oatmeal, and I was in it up to the chain. I restarted but > > "forgetaboutit", just deeper in the mud. I dismounted and the bike > > just stood there, I couldn't have parked it nicer. By now I was hot > > from horsing the bike back and forth but getting no where. I pulled > > off my helmet, gloves, jacket and sunglasses, and just studied the > > situation while I rested. After a few minutes, I tried to lift the > > tail out of the muck...no go. I finally dug out from behind the rear > > wheel and was able to horse the bike back about ten feet to where the > > mud hardened up a bit and the bike surfaced. Of course at this point > > he bike tipped over and was belly laughing at me as it lay there. > > After a few minutes rest, I bench pressed the bike to 45 degrees up > > and almost had a coronary getting it up all the way. I rode it home > > and hosed at least ten pounds of mud from everywhere. You would have > > been very proud of me. > > > > > > All that to say this: From experience, this bike "ain't no mudder". > > You guys out west must not be riding in deep mud in the woods. The > > KLR is a hard surface bike that requires an experienced able bodied > > (read young) person to throw it around, and frankly I don't believe > > most of what you guys claim. I think you are all a bunch of lying sobs. > > > > > > Ok, I feel better > > > > > > > > > Capt. Bob in Durham, CT. USA > > > http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/ > > > 2006 A6F KLR Green > > > Tires: Mefo 99 Explorers > > > Country roads (20% dirt), dual tracks. NY State and Northern New England > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:18 am

AAAKKKK! I just checked the weather and we are supposed to get snow 6 different days this week! (wintry mix Monday, and snow showers the rest of the week.) I need to move. I hear San Diego is a nice place to ride this time of year. Jim
> --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "usa1911a1" wrote: > > > > See Jim, I told ya. They don't ride like a man through snow and > mud...damn orange Blossoms, and sweet fragrances. Next thing ya know > they'll admit to eatin that there keeshy stuff. > > > > Capt. Bob in Durham, CT. USA > > http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/ > > 2006 A6F KLR Green > > Tires: Mefo 99 Explorers > > Country roads (20% dirt), dual tracks. NY State and Northern New
England
> > > > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: C L Cooper > > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > > Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 10:59 PM > > Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Mud ain't no friend of mine. > > > > > > ~150 mile ride last weekend thru hills east, north and big loop > back home... > > mid-sixties, sunny, orange trees and many other blossoms are very > fragrant. > > Absolutely beautiful. Not quite so far this weekend. Just a little > cooler. > > Maybe low sixties, sunny, again, beautiful. > > > > Mud.... don't know what you guys are talkin' about ;~) > > > > The new 685 engine is great!!! > > > > Chuck C > > Gloating in Sunny San Diego > > > > On 3/31/07, Jim wrote: > > > > > > Ain't spring fun? Just the other day I was riding home from work, > > > enjoying the feeling of the warm sun (I was still in a low speed > limit > > > area, so the 40 degree temp didn't get to me yet) and decided to > take > > > "the scenic way" and explore a side trail. Once off the road and > under > > > the trees the hard ground gave way to spots of mud. That gradually > > > became deeper mud with large patches of snow and ice. Not > exactly bike > > > terrain, let alone KLR terrain! I was stubborn though and kept
going
> > > until the snow got deeper (as well as the mud in between!) I
finally
> > > made the decision to turn around before I had to call for a > truck with > > > a winch. > > > > > > Last nights ride home was later than expected, around 11:30 pm. > All of > > > the places that were wet earlier in the day from the spring > runoff was > > > now frozen into deadly ice patches. It definitely added to the > > > excitement of riding. > > > > > > Jim > > > > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com , > > > "usa1911a1" wrote: > > > > > > > > I have discovered a new way to stop, shut off and park the
bike. I
> > > was out in the woods yesterday...somewhere I should not have > been...on > > > a barely visible two track covered with last autumn's leaves.
I had
> > > been having a better time then any 61 year old should have with > a 400 > > > lb. bike in the woods, and was feeling pretty good about some
of the
> > > hills I climbed. Anyway, I was moving about 15 mph on this nearly > > > invisible track and it turned left along the side of a hill
and then
> > > it dipped and went to the right up the hill. I was in the left
track
> > > making the uphill right when I went through the dip. > > > > > > > > All of a sudden "Praying Mantis" slowed to a stop, stalled and > just > > > stood there in the mud in this dip. The consistency of the mud was > > > like thick oatmeal, and I was in it up to the chain. I
restarted but
> > > "forgetaboutit", just deeper in the mud. I dismounted and the bike > > > just stood there, I couldn't have parked it nicer. By now I
was hot
> > > from horsing the bike back and forth but getting no where. I
pulled
> > > off my helmet, gloves, jacket and sunglasses, and just studied the > > > situation while I rested. After a few minutes, I tried to lift the > > > tail out of the muck...no go. I finally dug out from behind
the rear
> > > wheel and was able to horse the bike back about ten feet to > where the > > > mud hardened up a bit and the bike surfaced. Of course at this
point
> > > he bike tipped over and was belly laughing at me as it lay there. > > > After a few minutes rest, I bench pressed the bike to 45
degrees up
> > > and almost had a coronary getting it up all the way. I rode it
home
> > > and hosed at least ten pounds of mud from everywhere. You
would have
> > > been very proud of me. > > > > > > > > All that to say this: From experience, this bike "ain't no > mudder". > > > You guys out west must not be riding in deep mud in the woods. The > > > KLR is a hard surface bike that requires an experienced able
bodied
> > > (read young) person to throw it around, and frankly I don't
believe
> > > most of what you guys claim. I think you are all a bunch of > lying sobs. > > > > > > > > Ok, I feel better > > > > > > > > > > > > Capt. Bob in Durham, CT. USA > > > > http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/ > > > > 2006 A6F KLR Green > > > > Tires: Mefo 99 Explorers > > > > Country roads (20% dirt), dual tracks. NY State and Northern > New England > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > >

Samuel Hudson

Post by Samuel Hudson » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:49 am

Still waiting for cpt. Bob to come to texas. Mud is your friend. --sam hudson, san antonio tx.

dooden

Post by dooden » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:28 am

Mefo 99 Explorers ? Should have had Kenda K-270's mounted, even mostly worn out mine will pull the ole KLR through alot of swampy yuck. Dooden A15 Green Ape Upper Michigan with lots of mud, but a few years younger.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "usa1911a1" wrote: > > I have discovered a new way to stop, shut off and park the bike. I was out in the woods yesterday...somewhere I should not have been...on a barely visible two track covered with last autumn's leaves. I had been having a better time then any 61 year old should have with a 400 lb. bike in the woods, and was feeling pretty good about some of the hills I climbed. Anyway, I was moving about 15 mph on this nearly invisible track and it turned left along the side of a hill and then it dipped and went to the right up the hill. I was in the left track making the uphill right when I went through the dip. > > All of a sudden "Praying Mantis" slowed to a stop, stalled and just stood there in the mud in this dip. The consistency of the mud was like thick oatmeal, and I was in it up to the chain. I restarted but "forgetaboutit", just deeper in the mud. I dismounted and the bike just stood there, I couldn't have parked it nicer. By now I was hot from horsing the bike back and forth but getting no where. I pulled off my helmet, gloves, jacket and sunglasses, and just studied the situation while I rested. After a few minutes, I tried to lift the tail out of the muck...no go. I finally dug out from behind the rear wheel and was able to horse the bike back about ten feet to where the mud hardened up a bit and the bike surfaced. Of course at this point he bike tipped over and was belly laughing at me as it lay there. After a few minutes rest, I bench pressed the bike to 45 degrees up and almost had a coronary getting it up all the way. I rode it home and hosed at least ten pounds of mud from everywhere. You would have been very proud of me. > > All that to say this: From experience, this bike "ain't no mudder". You guys out west must not be riding in deep mud in the woods. The KLR is a hard surface bike that requires an experienced able bodied (read young) person to throw it around, and frankly I don't believe most of what you guys claim. I think you are all a bunch of lying sobs. > > Ok, I feel better > > > Capt. Bob in Durham, CT. USA > http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/ > 2006 A6F KLR Green > Tires: Mefo 99 Explorers > Country roads (20% dirt), dual tracks. NY State and Northern New England > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >