tube failure - wtf?

DSN_KLR650
Jim

starter squeal

Post by Jim » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:49 pm

Ever since my bike was a few weeks old my starter would occasionally let out a very loud squeal while turning over. It almost sounds like a shaft turning in a dry bushing. So far it hasn't failed to start, but I'm pretty concerned it will quit on me while on a trip. Its also quite embarasing, causing people to turn and stare. Not the reaction I want from a bike less than a year old. Is this anything that is fairly common? If not, I'll buy a good used starter off ebay and replace it before it quits for good. Jim

Norm Keller

starter squeal

Post by Norm Keller » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:54 pm

If the squeal is from the starter it is more than likely a dry Oilite bushing. I suggest that you remove the brush end plate and put a couple of drops of motor oil into the bushing. On the drive end, you can work some oil into the bushing by working the drive end housing back and forth (axially). If clearance is tight and you aren't comfortable in disassembling that end, simply use a bit of fine wire to guide oil, drop by drop down onto the shaft. I haven't had a KLR starter apart as yet but this is typical procedure for most. If you need more specific help, just email directly. If you wish to include a photo of the specific concern, so much the better. Starter's are very simple to deal with as long as you follow some simple procedures. If you're near Canada's left coast bring it by. HIH Norm [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

kestrelfal

starter squeal

Post by kestrelfal » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:27 pm

What are you using for engine oil? Starter clutch problem? Fred
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" wrote: > > Ever since my bike was a few weeks old my starter would occasionally > let out a very loud squeal while turning over. It almost sounds like a > shaft turning in a dry bushing. So far it hasn't failed to start, but > I'm pretty concerned it will quit on me while on a trip. Its also > quite embarasing, causing people to turn and stare. Not the reaction I > want from a bike less than a year old. Is this anything that is fairly > common? If not, I'll buy a good used starter off ebay and replace it > before it quits for good. > > Jim >

Jim

starter squeal

Post by Jim » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:17 pm

I'm running Rotella synthetic right now, but this problem has been going on since the bike had the factory oil in it, with only a couple hundred miles on it. I just switched to synthetic on the last oil change. The noise doesn't happen every time I start it, maybe every 10 or 20 starts. I'll have the side cover off to do the Doo soon...this weekend if the parts arrive. I'll check out the starter clutch then, and maybe even pull the starter to check it out. The problem hasn't seemed to have gotten any worse or any better over the past year and 4500 miles. Jim
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "kestrelfal" wrote: > > What are you using for engine oil? > > Starter clutch problem? > > Fred > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" wrote: > > > > Ever since my bike was a few weeks old my starter would occasionally > > let out a very loud squeal while turning over. It almost sounds like a > > shaft turning in a dry bushing. So far it hasn't failed to start, but > > I'm pretty concerned it will quit on me while on a trip. Its also > > quite embarasing, causing people to turn and stare. Not the reaction I > > want from a bike less than a year old. Is this anything that is fairly > > common? If not, I'll buy a good used starter off ebay and replace it > > before it quits for good. > > > > Jim > > >

Jim

starter squeal

Post by Jim » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:21 pm

I'm running Rotella synthetic right now, but this problem has been going on since the bike had the factory oil in it, with only a couple hundred miles on it. I just switched to synthetic on the last oil change. The noise doesn't happen every time I start it, maybe every 10 or 20 starts. I'll have the side cover off to do the Doo soon...this weekend if the parts arrive. I'll check out the starter clutch then, and maybe even pull the starter to check it out. The problem hasn't seemed to have gotten any worse or any better over the past year and 4500 miles. Jim
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "kestrelfal" wrote: > > What are you using for engine oil? > > Starter clutch problem? > > Fred > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" wrote: > > > > Ever since my bike was a few weeks old my starter would occasionally > > let out a very loud squeal while turning over. It almost sounds like a > > shaft turning in a dry bushing. So far it hasn't failed to start, but > > I'm pretty concerned it will quit on me while on a trip. Its also > > quite embarasing, causing people to turn and stare. Not the reaction I > > want from a bike less than a year old. Is this anything that is fairly > > common? If not, I'll buy a good used starter off ebay and replace it > > before it quits for good. > > > > Jim > > >

Jim

starter squeal

Post by Jim » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:22 pm

Jim

starter squeal

Post by Jim » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:38 pm

Jim

starter squeal

Post by Jim » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:49 pm

Jim

starter squeal

Post by Jim » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:13 pm

Jim

starter squeal

Post by Jim » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:17 pm