nklr hd humor

DSN_KLR650
Ross Lindberg

nklr camping gear

Post by Ross Lindberg » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:23 pm

Here's a question for you guys. I've been thinking about taking some overnight trips on my KLR. I've been looking at tents. I'm not in the market for an expensice Aerostich tent, my budget runs more to the Wally-World, Kame Apart, Target line of products. Any advice on camping gear for motorcycle trips? What all should I bring with, and what to leave home. I'm planning on one or two night stays away from home so it's not like I'm going to Alaska. I wish I could though, sounds like a fun trip. Any input is appreciated. Ross Lindberg Fertile, MN Oakdale, CA

Norm Keller

nklr camping gear

Post by Norm Keller » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:03 pm

Camping is in-tents, man! Norm "No pun too lame" is my motto. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

D Critchley

nklr camping gear

Post by D Critchley » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:13 pm

Therma-rest self inflating mattress, 20 x 47 inch, is a nice place to start. Rolls up to about 4 x 12 inch. The size is because that is all it takes to cover the bonier bits of my recumbent form. DC Ross Lindberg wrote:
>Here's a question for you guys. I've been thinking about taking some >overnight trips on my KLR. I've been looking at tents. I'm not in the >market for an expensice Aerostich tent, my budget runs more to the >Wally-World, Kame Apart, Target line of products. Any advice on >camping gear for motorcycle trips? What all should I bring with, and > > >
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Shane

nklr camping gear

Post by Shane » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:15 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Norm Keller" wrote:
> > Camping is in-tents, man! > > Norm > "No pun too lame" is my motto. > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >
OK...does this mean a new tent thread?

kjbmw69

nklr camping gear

Post by kjbmw69 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:08 pm

For what it's worth i've been motorcycle-tent camping for 25+ years, it's the only way to go. adds another dimension to the motorcycle scene.a therm-a-rest pad is a must. do yourself a favor and buy a decent tent and sleeping bag too. forget about wally-world; you'll regret how much you saved buying cheap gear the first time it rains. and it will rain. you can buy a good entry level eureka tent without breaking the bank. check out aerostich.com and campmor.com for good motorcycle/backpacking specific gear; rugged and COMPACT. it's no fun- dangerous riding a bike with gear lashed on it 4ft. high like the beverly hillbillies.another thing to keep in mind when shopping a sleeping bag is that when down gets wet it won't keep you warm, where as a bag with synthetic fill will still insulate. campmor has some killer sales ever month,aerostich carries more high end farkles. kevin

hobbhavnklr650

nklr camping gear

Post by hobbhavnklr650 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:44 pm

Don't skimp on your pad. Therma-rest, more thick than thin. If you have any size to you, a thin pad will often have problems softening the hard spots and provides less insulation from the ground. If you don't plan on cold weather camping, you can get by with less of a sleeping bag, IF you are well insulated from the ground. Also, get a sling designed for use with sleeping pads to create a chair with back. Much more comfortable sitting than a rock or stump. For me, I know if I can be comfortable when I sleep or relax at the campsite, the food taste better, the temps aren't as cold, and fire starts easier. My tent is a solo Sierra Design from Campmor bought over 20 years ago. Other than one tear in fabric which happened when my dog sent an amardillo crashing into the tent, the tent has been great. Keith Idaho KLR
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Ross Lindberg" wrote: > > Here's a question for you guys. I've been thinking about taking some > overnight trips on my KLR. I've been looking at tents. I'm not in the > market for an expensice Aerostich tent, my budget runs more to the > Wally-World, Kame Apart, Target line of products. Any advice on > camping gear for motorcycle trips? What all should I bring with, and > what to leave home. I'm planning on one or two night stays away from > home so it's not like I'm going to Alaska. I wish I could though, > sounds like a fun trip. Any input is appreciated. > > Ross Lindberg > Fertile, MN > Oakdale, CA >

Randall Marbach

nklr camping gear

Post by Randall Marbach » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:12 pm

My camping gear maybe a little heavier than the lightest available but I am 6'7" and an old fart. Apache Instant Tent 3-Man ATuffy ALX 2006 Tent w/large rain fly Old Thermarest 72"x 25" sleeping pad Wiggy Sleeping bag FTRSS system extra tall extra wide http://www.wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=67 This bag will keep you warm even if totally soaked ... important for survival when miles from no where and caught in a storm Kermit chair Jetboil Java Kit HTH Randy from Burbank ----- Original Message ---- From: Ross Lindberg To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2007 5:23:35 PM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] NKLR Camping Gear Here's a question for you guys. I've been thinking about taking some overnight trips on my KLR. I've been looking at tents. I'm not in the market for an expensice Aerostich tent, my budget runs more to the Wally-World, Kame Apart, Target line of products. Any advice on camping gear for motorcycle trips? What all should I bring with, and what to leave home. I'm planning on one or two night stays away from home so it's not like I'm going to Alaska. I wish I could though, sounds like a fun trip. Any input is appreciated. Ross Lindberg Fertile, MN Oakdale, CA List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 Yahoo! Groups Links ____________________________________________________________________________________ No need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go with Yahoo! Mail for Mobile. Get started. http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail

billshel2003

nklr camping gear

Post by billshel2003 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:52 pm

Forget the junk tents/stuff. Campmor or Cabelas has lightweight decent stuff. Get a lightweight backpacking style big one man or small two man tent, it will hold you and most of your gear. Last years models at Campmor are usually cheap, Eureka, North Face brand, etc. For a sleeping bag, go 20 degree if you will be doing anything in cooler temps, if mostly summer temps go 40 degree, backpacking style, if you need more room in a bag they make ones wider. Inflateable sleeping pads fold down smaller than foam ones. There's your home away from home. Then you have food options - stove or not. Again, backpacking style stuff. Get out and do it, and also see what others do. --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Ross Lindberg" wrote:
> > Here's a question for you guys. I've been thinking about taking
some
> overnight trips on my KLR. I've been looking at tents. I'm not
in the
> market for an expensice Aerostich tent, my budget runs more to the > Wally-World, Kame Apart, Target line of products. Any advice on > camping gear for motorcycle trips? What all should I bring with,
and
> what to leave home. I'm planning on one or two night stays away
from
> home so it's not like I'm going to Alaska. I wish I could though, > sounds like a fun trip. Any input is appreciated. > > Ross Lindberg > Fertile, MN > Oakdale, CA >

dooden

nklr camping gear

Post by dooden » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:10 pm

I got a 2 man pup tent that I think came from Wally-world, rolled up and in its sack sits at the back of the seat across with a bungee around each tailrack grip and stays put just fine. Hint buy a cheapy air mattress to blow up to smooth out the lumpy ground, if you get a PVC type from the pool/swimming area they cost a couple bucks, and pack down pretty small if you only plan on using a few times. Dooden A15 Green Ape
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Ross Lindberg" wrote: > > Here's a question for you guys. I've been thinking about taking some > overnight trips on my KLR. I've been looking at tents. I'm not in the > market for an expensice Aerostich tent, my budget runs more to the > Wally-World, Kame Apart, Target line of products. Any advice on > camping gear for motorcycle trips? What all should I bring with, and > what to leave home. I'm planning on one or two night stays away from > home so it's not like I'm going to Alaska. I wish I could though, > sounds like a fun trip. Any input is appreciated. > > Ross Lindberg > Fertile, MN > Oakdale, CA >

Blake Sobiloff

nklr camping gear

Post by Blake Sobiloff » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:20 am

On Mar 17, 2007, at 5:23 PM, Ross Lindberg wrote:
> Any advice on > camping gear for motorcycle trips?
You can probably get away with the stuff from Wal-Mart for a few trips, just understand that it'll be heavier, larger, and less durable than the stuff you can get at Campmor, Cabelas, REI, etc. It works fine for car camping and fair weather camping, so a few easy motorcycle trips should be OK, too. Make sure you have a tent, synthetic or down sleeping bag (not cotton!), air mattress, small stove and some cookware. Hot food, or even just a hot drink, really pick the spirits up. I recommend a headlamp, too, as they free your hands so you can cook, setup the tent, work on the bike, read, or whatever. The suggestion for a camp chair's a good one if you are going to an "unimproved" campsite. Oh, and practice setting up your new tent before you head out for your first overnighter--you don't want to get to the campsite and not be able to figure it out, or be missing a pole! -- Blake Sobiloff http://sobiloff.typepad.com/blakeblog/> http://sobiloff.typepad.com/klr_adventure/> San Jose, CA (USA) [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]