noise

DSN_KLR650
John Hubbard

progressive springs

Post by John Hubbard » Sat Apr 08, 2000 3:02 pm

The instructions posted in the achives say you must remove forks to change springs. I've put progressive springs in other bikes and never removed the forks. What is so different about the KLR, it looks pretty straight forward, I'm planning on just popping the caps off, pull the stock ones out then drop the new ones in.

Any thoughts or random comments?

Thumper John

S2Mumford@aol.com

progressive springs

Post by S2Mumford@aol.com » Mon Apr 10, 2000 6:54 pm

> >From: "zootpatutie" > > > >I didn't loosen the triple clamps when I did mine. Spacer needs to be > shortened > >1/2" to 1". Oil should be changed at the same time and I think is 420ml
or
> 7 > >1/2" from the top of the tube. (check the archives) > > Be careful, the newer silver colored progressive springs require the stock > spacers be cut 2 inches. > > Cheers, > Don > A14 >
I just replaced my front boingers with the Roessler Progressives ( the shiny new ones) and now when I gas it around a corner, my rear end feels like it is squatting real bad and feels squirly. I don't like it. Before, with the stock suspension, the back tire felt a lot more "planted". Does the installation of these springs change the steering geometry ? I also replaced the stock tires with some Kenda 270's at the same time... maybe this is contributing to the squirly feel? CA Stu

Jim & Shannon Morehead

progressive springs

Post by Jim & Shannon Morehead » Wed May 03, 2000 6:12 pm

Hi All, Can anyone tell me the difference between the shiny and "non-shiny" fork springs from Progressive? Jim

Bill

progressive springs

Post by Bill » Mon Jun 11, 2001 3:57 am

The progressive springs are way cool. The bike handles much better at 70+ mph. Far less front end dive too. Also put on a throttle lock...drilled and tapped the infamous hole. Works like a charm. I'm ready for a ride to the Big Bend area.

TLrydr@aol.com

progressive springs

Post by TLrydr@aol.com » Mon Jun 11, 2001 9:13 pm

In a message dated 6/11/01 4:00:06 AM EST, wvalerio@... writes: << lock...drilled and tapped the infamous hole. Works like a charm. I'm ready for a ride to the Big Bend area. >> Bring a bunch of sun screen, Its a little hot down there, About 110 in the shade. Mike

riverman051955

progressive springs

Post by riverman051955 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:34 am

I tried to do a search on this but caint get through. Too bad seems like a wealth info in past posts. I just recieved my progessive springs without any spacers. Do I need to cut new spacers? If so can anyone tell me the correct lenght? also what wt. oil would be best I weight about 180 lbs and plan to do some off road any help would be app. Keith

Jud Jones

progressive springs

Post by Jud Jones » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:36 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "riverman051955" wrote:
> > I tried to do a search on this but caint get through. Too bad seems > like a wealth info in past posts. > > I just recieved my progessive springs without any spacers. Do I need to > cut new spacers? If so can anyone tell me the correct lenght? also what > wt. oil would be best I weight about 180 lbs and plan to do some off > road any help would be app. Keith >
The instructions call for 2" spacers, which have worked fine for me. I want the forks to go together with minimum preload, to allow the wheel to deflect easily over rocks. Some guys make longer spacers, up to 2.75", for more preload.

Norm Keller

noise

Post by Norm Keller » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:35 am

>Moderate yourself or I will. >Fred (no cabin fever here) >List Admin.
Thanks Fred! Most of us need a poke in the eye once in a while to get us off a soap box. The ironic part of that is that the points which seem to get out of line are those which people feel passionate about. This group has been very respectful and generous for the most part which reflects well on the membership. It might be well to reflect, however, on whether one's post is likely to communicate or to inflame. Many posts have repeated the admonition that it is unlikely to change anyone's strongly held point of view. This is even more the case over the net than in person because the inability to see the twinkle in the eye of the poster can lead dialogue to become extreme. I encourage those of you who should do so to shake hands and move on. If things become too heated or it carries on for too long, others will move on which will damage this group. There are several individuals seemingly absent or not posting lately......IMO they are more to be missed than exhaust arguments. Just my $0.02, Norm [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

hill_buster

progressive springs

Post by hill_buster » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:41 pm

Heard from a Canadian dealer in that "Progressive Springs" will stop making the shock/spring combo for the KLR. Dual Star & Happy-Trail have chopped their price by 75 dollars as if getting rid of their stock. Anybody know the real story? For those who use the shock /spring combo (420 series) from Progressive, any complaints? So far I have not been able to get the "Progressive" rear spring from Fred as it has been back ordered for some time (3 months). Are there other sites that supply good quality rear springs for the KLR (A15) Note: tried multisurfacemotorcycling.com but they didn't respond to my emails on availability. Thanks Hill_buster.