filters

DSN_KLR650
rosslindberg

nklr: mp3 players

Post by rosslindberg » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:07 pm

Here's a couple things I saw in the paper and in Cycle World magazine that may be of interest. The first is a new MP3 player that is built to handle jarring, like skiing, snowboarding and riding off-road. Comes in 8 colors and 3 capacities, the largest being 1 GB. Price is $49.99-$99.99. Find it at www.us.creative or call 800-998-1000. The next thing that I thought waa pretty cool was a wireless control for an iPod. It's called the Belkin SportCommand and retails for $80. I guess you can control your iPod while it is safely in a jacket pocket or backpack. It is weather resistant. Here's a question for you guys. I've been thinking about getting an MP3 player. Any recommendations? What set-ups worked for you guys. I'm also looking at the GMRS bike-to-bike intercom system by FireFox Technologies. Anyone tried these?

Blake Sobiloff

Post by Blake Sobiloff » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:22 am

On Jan 14, 2007, at 7:04 PM, rosslindberg wrote:
> The first is a new MP3 player that is built to handle jarring, like > skiing, snowboarding and riding off-road.
Any solid state MP3 player will do well on a motorcycle. I've used my hard drive-based iPods for years while riding, though, and haven't ever had a problem. I keep them in a jacket pocket or tank bag and they seem to do just fine. Just don't keep it in the map pocket, as the sunlight in summer will wash out the screen and overheat the unit.
> The next thing that I thought waa pretty cool was a wireless control > for an iPod. It's called the Belkin SportCommand and retails for $80.
A little pricey (but what iPod accessories aren't?), but I've been wanting something like that. My main gripe about riding with my iPod safely tucked away is that it's hard to kill the music quickly. That makes chatting with a buddy at a stop sign, etc., tougher, but this gizmo could alleviate that.
> Here's a question for you guys. I've been thinking about getting an > MP3 player. Any recommendations? What set-ups worked for you guys.
I have a full-sized iPod, but if I was just looking for some tunes while riding I'd get a 1 GB solid state MP3 player (iPod Shuffle or similar). 1 GB will hold around 12 hours of 128Kb/s music, which is plenty even for the distance riding I do.
> I'm also looking at the GMRS bike-to-bike intercom system by FireFox > Technologies. Anyone tried these?
Sorry, I'm an Autocom guy, although I still haven't hooked it up to my KLR yet. (Took it off the Triumph and haven't needed it yet with the KLR.) -- Blake Sobiloff http://sobiloff.typepad.com/blakeblog/> http://sobiloff.typepad.com/klr_adventure/> San Jose, CA (USA) [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Don S

Post by Don S » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:56 am

Hey Blake: Re your comment below. Would that be as opposed to tube type? If so, I heartily agree. "Any solid state MP3 player will do well on a motorcycle." Don --------------------------------- Finding fabulous fares is fun. Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

RM

Post by RM » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:13 am

I think he means no hard drives. Flash memory only. RM On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:50:03 -0800 (PST), "Don S" said:
> Re your comment below. Would that be as opposed to tube type? If > so, I heartily agree. > > "Any solid state MP3 player will do well on a motorcycle."

riverman051955

Post by riverman051955 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:24 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "RM" wrote:
> > I think he means no hard drives. Flash memory only. > > RM > > > On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:50:03 -0800 (PST), "Don S" > said: > > > Re your comment below. Would that be as opposed to tube type?
If
> > so, I heartily agree. > > > > "Any solid state MP3 player will do well on a motorcycle." >
where can i find one of those tube type "mp3" players Ive been looking for one of those for years?

Pat

Post by Pat » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:02 pm

+1 for the iPod Shuffle. They're cheap AND easy to use with a gloved hand thru the plastic map window of your tankbag - one hand, minimal distraction. Heck, at 1GB, it carries as much music or podcasts as any human can listen to for days. For long trips away from a computer USB port, I found a $20 recharge unit (Radio Shack) that gives another 12 hours of use. Koss earbuds (Target) come with an 'instant-off' switch in the middle of the wire that lets you cut off the sound. I like these buds best since they have soft foam that are most comfortable and work as great ear plugs - don't need 120db to hear over road/wind noise. Pat M Pac-NW
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Blake Sobiloff wrote: > > On Jan 14, 2007, at 7:04 PM, rosslindberg wrote: > > The first is a new MP3 player that is built to handle jarring, like > > skiing, snowboarding and riding off-road. > > Any solid state MP3 player will do well on a motorcycle. I've used > my hard drive-based iPods for years while riding, though, and haven't > ever had a problem. I keep them in a jacket pocket or tank bag and > they seem to do just fine. Just don't keep it in the map pocket, as > the sunlight in summer will wash out the screen and overheat the unit. > > > The next thing that I thought waa pretty cool was a wireless control > > for an iPod. It's called the Belkin SportCommand and retails for $80. > > A little pricey (but what iPod accessories aren't?), but I've been > wanting something like that. My main gripe about riding with my iPod > safely tucked away is that it's hard to kill the music quickly. That > makes chatting with a buddy at a stop sign, etc., tougher, but this > gizmo could alleviate that. > > > Here's a question for you guys. I've been thinking about getting an > > MP3 player. Any recommendations? What set-ups worked for you guys. > > I have a full-sized iPod, but if I was just looking for some tunes > while riding I'd get a 1 GB solid state MP3 player (iPod Shuffle or > similar). 1 GB will hold around 12 hours of 128Kb/s music, which is > plenty even for the distance riding I do. > > > I'm also looking at the GMRS bike-to-bike intercom system by FireFox > > Technologies. Anyone tried these? > > Sorry, I'm an Autocom guy, although I still haven't hooked it up to > my KLR yet. (Took it off the Triumph and haven't needed it yet with > the KLR.) > -- > Blake Sobiloff > http://sobiloff.typepad.com/blakeblog/> > http://sobiloff.typepad.com/klr_adventure/> > San Jose, CA (USA) > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >

geobas

Post by geobas » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:19 pm

If you use Slime in the tube type Rudy Valley will sound just like Hudson Foster. George Escondido, CA riverman051955 wrote:
> > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > , "RM" wrote: > > > > I think he means no hard drives. Flash memory only. > > > > RM > > > > > > On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:50:03 -0800 (PST), "Don S" > > said: > > > > > Re your comment below. Would that be as opposed to tube type? > If > > > so, I heartily agree. > > > > > > "Any solid state MP3 player will do well on a motorcycle." > > > where can i find one of those tube type "mp3" players Ive been looking > for one of those for years? > >
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mike Brodhead

Post by Mike Brodhead » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:50 pm

On Jan 14, 2007, at 7:04 PM, rosslindberg wrote:
> Here's a question for you guys. I've been thinking about getting an > MP3 player. Any recommendations? What set-ups worked for you guys.
I don't listen to music while riding, though I may start. Motorcycles aside, I'm awfully unlikely to buy an MP3 player that isn't an iPod. I've had two so far and loved them. Everything else I have examined is awfully clunky in comparison. Apple's marketing department has a real problem on their hands: the widespread mistaken belief that iPods will only play music bought from Apple. My iPods are mostly full of music I ripped from my own CDs, with a smattering of tracks downloaded for free. I have occasionally bought music online from Apple, but not much. The discount over CDs isn't great enough for all the things one doesn't get: higher quality encoding, physical backup, liner notes, cover art, etc. --mkb [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jud Jones

Post by Jud Jones » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:48 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "riverman051955" wrote:
> > > where can i find one of those tube type "mp3" players Ive been looking > for one of those for years? >
They are right next to the magnetic tankbags for IMS tanks.

Blake Sobiloff

Post by Blake Sobiloff » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:50 pm

On Jan 15, 2007, at 9:23 AM, riverman051955 wrote:
> where can i find one of those tube type "mp3" players Ive been looking > for one of those for years?
http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/11/nothing-like-a-valve-amp-for-that- ipod/> (...or is that actually a hybrid like a Prius?) -- Blake Sobiloff http://sobiloff.typepad.com/blakeblog/> http://sobiloff.typepad.com/klr_adventure/> San Jose, CA (USA) [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]