fan relay substitute available?

DSN_KLR650
Scott

parked, wheel pointing right or left?

Post by Scott » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:48 pm

I find it easier to get on and off my KLR if I have the wheel pointing right. I noticed I seem to be the only one doing this. Am I committing some kind of biker sin by doing this? Am I "stating a life style preference"? Do men hang left and women right? (It goes without saying women are always right.) Wait, I said it... No! Twas not I, Precious. ~GOLLUM ~GOLLUM (JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings reference)

Donald Dickerson

parked, wheel pointing right or left?

Post by Donald Dickerson » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:09 pm

I don't know if it really makes a difference, but I've pointed the wheel to the right on every bike I've ever had. If you accidently get on before unlocking the front wheel, the front wheel wants to roll and bike wants to fall over when leaned to the left and front wheel is turned to the left, about the time you raise the kickstand and reach for the keys (a '76 Goldwing was bad about that). Obviously, you aren't the only one doing this. The only biker sin I was ever taught was riding non-Harleys was a sin (Dad's a patch-holder...). Me BIG sinner...! --- Scott wrote:
> > I find it easier to get on and off my KLR if I have the wheel > pointing > right. > > I noticed I seem to be the only one doing this. > Am I committing some kind of biker sin by doing this? > Am I "stating a life style preference"? > Do men hang left and women right? > > (It goes without saying women are always right.) > > Wait, I said it... > No! Twas not I, Precious. ~GOLLUM ~GOLLUM > > (JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings reference) > > >
Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them. Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who didn't. "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure." -- Helen Keller __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com

idahokawboy

fan relay substitute available?

Post by idahokawboy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:43 pm

You have a spare relay already -- it's the clutch/sidestand starter safety relay residing behind the plastic panel above the left footpeg. It's the exact same relay as the fan. It is a simple process to bypass these safety features if you've a mind to and then you have your relay for the fan. If I recall correctly, all you need to do is disconnect & remove the relay and jumper between the black wire and either of the yellow/red wires. Then short or jumper together the two wires (brown & green/white) coming from the sidestand switch. That's it; no dis-assembling of the left handlebar switch housing or anything else. Just takes a few minutes. Do keep in mind that after this little bit of surgery, your bike will start in gear and drive away with the sidestand down; some folks prefer to do this bypass and others do not -- your choice.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Don Montgomery" wrote: > > > I have traced the fan failure to the fan relay. It's a round Denso product > #056700-5260 @ 22 amps. There is a Honda part at $25 via google. Is there a > generic automotive part that is the same ? I could splice in a generic relay > that we use for horn and headlight relays but was hoping for a easy cheap to > get plug & play solution. > > TIA, > Don M >