2006 klr650 speedometer adjustment? going 55 when it displays 65...

DSN_KLR650
tomtess2006

looking for bike alarm

Post by tomtess2006 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:54 pm

All this talk about motorcycle being stolen has me thinking that we are in times were some will steal just about anything. I have a heavy duty cable lock and I have a alarm brake rotor lock. But after my trip of 1400 miles last week from clearlake to portland and back I found out I was not able to campout very much as it rained a few days pretty hard. Although I was able to cable my KLR to a porch post at a few motel stays ! The only room I could get was on the second floor. I was to far to hear my alarm go off ! I could have got up in the morning to find it gone and been on a greyhound bus. Then I thought about a simple alarm I had 15 years ago on a new harley. It saved my bike from being stolen from right under my nose at a concert in eugene oregon. A friend installed it and I am looking for one like it now. It was a simple alarm and it was sold at radio shack. It had a unit that was the size of a pack of cigarettes. My friend mounted it under the seat. It was wired to the bike battery and had a few wires with motion sensor at there ends. We adjusted the unit and mounted the sensors so that if you even clicked it out of gear the alarm sent a silent signal to a small little pager I could turn on when needed. At the concert which was a open roof deal at the state university I was watching the bands when the belt pager went off. I had no way to get to my bike in a timely manner so I went to the top row of seats and down below in the parking lot I saw 3 guys loading my new harley in a pickup. I grabed a security guy a few rows away from me and he got on his radio and as I watched for about a minute as they started to tie down my bike they were busted from three sides by local police. There was no alarm noise except from my belt pager and the thieves had no idea what was coming. That was a $49 dollar unit back then and I am trying to find another unit like that for my KLR. It would have been nice to have under my pillow last week while in that motel on the road trip I took. I hope this information is helpfull to a few others on the list as another security option. I hope I can find another unit like it also before my next trip. No one really cares about a alarm going in a parking lot anymore and this unit was good for up to a half mile away. Tom Clearlake, Ca.

Arden Kysely

looking for bike alarm

Post by Arden Kysely » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:03 am

Type 'motorcycle alarm pager' (without the quotes) into Google, grab a cup of coffee, and go shopping. Let us know what you find! __Arden --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "tomtess2006" wrote:
> > All this talk about motorcycle being stolen has me thinking that we > are in times were some will steal just about anything. I have a
heavy
> duty cable lock and I have a alarm brake rotor lock. But after my
trip
> of 1400 miles last week from clearlake to portland and back I found > out I was not able to campout very much as it rained a few days
pretty
> hard. > > Although I was able to cable my KLR to a porch post at a few motel > stays ! The only room I could get was on the second floor. I was to > far to hear my alarm go off ! > > I could have got up in the morning to find it gone and been on a > greyhound bus. > > Then I thought about a simple alarm I had 15 years ago on a new > harley. It saved my bike from being stolen from right under my nose
at
> a concert in eugene oregon. > > A friend installed it and I am looking for one like it now. > > It was a simple alarm and it was sold at radio shack. It had a unit > that was the size of a pack of cigarettes. My friend mounted it
under
> the seat. > > It was wired to the bike battery and had a few wires with motion > sensor at there ends. We adjusted the unit and mounted the sensors
so
> that if you even clicked it out of gear the alarm sent a silent
signal
> to a small little pager I could turn on when needed. > > At the concert which was a open roof deal at the state university I > was watching the bands when the belt pager went off. I had no way to > get to my bike in a timely manner so I went to the top row of seats > and down below in the parking lot I saw 3 guys loading my new harley > in a pickup. > > I grabed a security guy a few rows away from me and he got on his > radio and as I watched for about a minute as they started to tie
down
> my bike they were busted from three sides by local police. > > There was no alarm noise except from my belt pager and the thieves
had
> no idea what was coming. > > That was a $49 dollar unit back then and I am trying to find another > unit like that for my KLR. It would have been nice to have under my > pillow last week while in that motel on the road trip I took. > > I hope this information is helpfull to a few others on the list as > another security option. > > I hope I can find another unit like it also before my next trip. No > one really cares about > a alarm going in a parking lot anymore and this unit was good for up > to a half mile away. > > Tom > Clearlake, Ca. >

Robert Chay

looking for bike alarm

Post by Robert Chay » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:06 am

I have a Scorpio i500 on my R6. I think it retails for ~$350 with a perimeter sensor and anti-hijack module. Works well but I got it more to notify me that someone's messing with my bike when it goes off than to prevent theft. No one pays attention to alarms anyways. You need a good strategy, not just a device, to prevent theft. -Bobby
> -----Original Message----- > From: Arden Kysely > > Type 'motorcycle alarm pager' (without the quotes) into > Google, grab a cup of coffee, and go shopping. Let us know > what you find! > > __Arden > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "tomtess2006" > wrote: > > > > All this talk about motorcycle being stolen has me thinking that we > > are in times were some will steal just about anything. I have a > heavy > > duty cable lock and I have a alarm brake rotor lock. But after my > trip > > of 1400 miles last week from clearlake to portland and back I found > > out I was not able to campout very much as it rained a few days > pretty > > hard. > > > > Although I was able to cable my KLR to a porch post at a few motel > > stays ! The only room I could get was on the second floor. I was to > > far to hear my alarm go off ! > > > > I could have got up in the morning to find it gone and been on a > > greyhound bus. > > > > Then I thought about a simple alarm I had 15 years ago on a new > > harley. It saved my bike from being stolen from right under my nose > at > > a concert in eugene oregon. > > > > A friend installed it and I am looking for one like it now. > > > > It was a simple alarm and it was sold at radio shack. It had a unit > > that was the size of a pack of cigarettes. My friend mounted it > under > > the seat. > > > > It was wired to the bike battery and had a few wires with motion > > sensor at there ends. We adjusted the unit and mounted the sensors > so > > that if you even clicked it out of gear the alarm sent a silent > signal > > to a small little pager I could turn on when needed. > > > > At the concert which was a open roof deal at the state university I > > was watching the bands when the belt pager went off. I had > no way to > > get to my bike in a timely manner so I went to the top row of seats > > and down below in the parking lot I saw 3 guys loading my > new harley > > in a pickup. > > > > I grabed a security guy a few rows away from me and he got on his > > radio and as I watched for about a minute as they started to tie > down > > my bike they were busted from three sides by local police. > > > > There was no alarm noise except from my belt pager and the thieves > had > > no idea what was coming. > > > > That was a $49 dollar unit back then and I am trying to > find another > > unit like that for my KLR. It would have been nice to have under my > > pillow last week while in that motel on the road trip I took. > > > > I hope this information is helpfull to a few others on the list as > > another security option. > > > > I hope I can find another unit like it also before my next trip. No > > one really cares about a alarm going in a parking lot > anymore and this > > unit was good for up to a half mile away. > > > > Tom > > Clearlake, Ca. > > > > > > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: > http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: > www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Member Map at: > http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > >

Quest

2006 klr650 speedometer adjustment? going 55 when it displays 65...

Post by Quest » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:00 pm

I have noticed my new 2006 KLR650's speedometer is about 10 miles per hour off. Usually at 65 I'm really going 55 according to people behind me. Is there anyway to adjust the speedometer or do something to make it more accurate? I suppose this really throws off the odometer also. I found some articles related to this, but couldn't find a solution on any of the popular KLR sites unless I overlooked it. Thanks, --Mike