four minutes (nklr)

DSN_KLR650

chains & sprockets

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:44 am

Question was, "Listers, what's your favorite chain". I haven't gotten one for the KLR650 yet & my last road bike was a Concours (no chain). I was road racing w/ MRA up to Sept. 1999 on a CBR600 Honda. I used Regina chains, they were recommended by many other racers. They never let me down; they survived many 8000-RPM launches. I converted the bike to 520 sprockets & chain (reduced mass), so the bike was under chained & still no problem. Pete Chester A16

greasedog123

chains & sprockets

Post by greasedog123 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:36 pm

Looking for opinions and suggestions regarding chains. I have almost 22,000 miles on my original chain(80% road miles) and it still looks good. My front 16T sprocket(which I put on at about 1000 miles) is showing wear- rear still looks good. I do oil and clean especially after riding down dirt roads and trails. My question is should I just replace the front spocket or is it time to do the whole chain/sprockets deal and where is the best deal for just a basic replacement? I was overwhelmed at the choices of chains and types. I would like a DID chain but even they have a lot of options. Thanks for any response. John in Ocala, Fl. '03 KLR 650

Thor Lancelot Simon

chains & sprockets

Post by Thor Lancelot Simon » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:46 pm

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 01:36:38AM -0000, greasedog123 wrote:
> Looking for opinions and suggestions regarding chains. I have > almost 22,000 miles on my original chain(80% road miles) and it still > looks good. My front 16T sprocket(which I put on at about 1000 miles) > is showing wear- rear still looks good. I do oil and clean especially > after riding down dirt roads and trails. My question is should I just > replace the front spocket or is it time to do the whole chain/sprockets > deal and where is the best deal for just a basic replacement? I was > overwhelmed at the choices of chains and types. I would like a DID > chain but even they have a lot of options.
If you want another 22K from a chain/sprocket set you should think about spending the money on the pricier OEM sprockets -- according to people on the list they're harder than any of the replacements and indeed I've personally found at least one replacement brand of steel sprocket isn't nearly as durable, front or rear. I ride all winter and my bike lives outdoors on the street. They use a *lot* of salt here. Chain corrosion is what makes me switch things out long before they'd need replacement otherwise. I was looking for any kind of plated or anodized chain last time and ended up with an RK Gold X-ring from Dennis Kirk -- cheaper than any other plated chain I could find, and X-ring is a nice bonus. RK X-ring chains don't last as long as the D.I.D. ones, or so I hear, but they're a lot cheaper. Dennis Kirk and Ron Ayers both seem to have very good online prices on chains. I think Fred has the new Bikemaster X-ring chain. Don't know anything about it but maybe it's another affordable option. My plain old O-ring Bikemaster chain didn't last as long as the OEM chain did. -- Thor Lancelot Simon tls@... "The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem." - Noam Chomsky

Jeff Saline

chains & sprockets

Post by Jeff Saline » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:53 pm

John, Why not try replacing the front only and see how long things last. Cost of a front is probably about $25 or less. If the chain is good and the rear sprocket is too, I think I'd just change what was worn. The front turns 2.68 times for each rotation of the rear if you have a 16 front/43 rear combo. It just makes sense that the front would wear out first. You must be pretty good with your chain adjustment and maintenance to get 22K out of the set. Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 01:36:38 -0000 "greasedog123" writes:
> Looking for opinions and suggestions regarding chains. I have > almost 22,000 miles on my original chain(80% road miles) and it > still > looks good. My front 16T sprocket(which I put on at about 1000 > miles) > is showing wear- rear still looks good. I do oil and clean > especially > after riding down dirt roads and trails. My question is should I > just > replace the front spocket or is it time to do the whole > chain/sprockets > deal and where is the best deal for just a basic replacement? I was > > overwhelmed at the choices of chains and types. I would like a DID > > chain but even they have a lot of options. > > Thanks for any response. > > John in Ocala, Fl. > > '03 KLR 650 > > > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: > http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > >

Randy Shultz

chains & sprockets

Post by Randy Shultz » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:29 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "greasedog123" wrote:
> > Looking for opinions and suggestions regarding chains. >
--- I've been buying my DID VM X-ring chains from whitebuffaloracing.com The 520 VM is about $82. Kiernanracing has them for about the same price. Randy

Rick McCauley

chains & sprockets

Post by Rick McCauley » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:11 am

Not only do the front sprocket teeth make contact more often, there are less of them taking the load. About 7 teeth have to take all the pressure on the front sprocket, where 20 or so are sharing the load on the rear. Rick A17 Jeff Saline wrote: John, Why not try replacing the front only and see how long things last. Cost of a front is probably about $25 or less. If the chain is good and the rear sprocket is too, I think I'd just change what was worn. The front turns 2.68 times for each rotation of the rear if you have a 16 front/43 rear combo. It just makes sense that the front would wear out first. You must be pretty good with your chain adjustment and maintenance to get 22K out of the set. Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 01:36:38 -0000 "greasedog123" writes:
> Looking for opinions and suggestions regarding chains. I have > almost 22,000 miles on my original chain(80% road miles) and it > still > looks good. My front 16T sprocket(which I put on at about 1000 > miles) > is showing wear- rear still looks good. I do oil and clean > especially > after riding down dirt roads and trails. My question is should I > just > replace the front spocket or is it time to do the whole > chain/sprockets > deal and where is the best deal for just a basic replacement? I was > > overwhelmed at the choices of chains and types. I would like a DID > > chain but even they have a lot of options. > > Thanks for any response. > > John in Ocala, Fl. > > '03 KLR 650 > > > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: > http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > >
Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 Yahoo! Groups Links --------------------------------- Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

john muldowney

chains & sprockets

Post by john muldowney » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:51 am

I recently read an article in San Francisco's City Bike written about a KLR owner who had over 100,000 miles on his bike who replaced the front sprocket often (the writer did not provide how often) vs. replacing the whole drivetrain system every year or so...and he claims to have gotten upwards to 50,000 out of the chain and large sprocket. It is strange because I have never heard mention of this maintenance procedure on this group...I would be willing to change the front sprocket a few times a year to get that kind of high mileage from a drivetrain. Is anyone else out there servicing their drivetrain like this? And how often are you replacing the front sprocket?...I have a 2000 with over 68,000 miles on it and because I ride it upwards to 15,000 a year I go through a drivetrain every year or so...I was thinking if I did do the front sprocket replacement maintenance method I would replace the sprocket every four months (meaning three front sprockets a years).... If so I may give it a try my next drivetrain replacement....

clint lee jin yew

chains & sprockets

Post by clint lee jin yew » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:31 pm

i think its a universal truth that a chain wears due to the main factor of how the bike is ridden, secondly where and how its maintained. if the bike were to be ridden at like 30mph on flat straight and long hauls and is properly maintained. i'm sure it will live a long and healthy life. but the sad truth is that we love to gas the bike around corners, uphill and down hill, use some engine braking, jump around abit , wheelie and such things will just shorten the lifespan of any chain. not to mention the dirt it collects. a 16 tooth front would wear off slower than a 15 thats for sure. but the figures you mentioned..... my guess is that the guy put a 15 tooth front which is soft. so when it wears out, the chain will still be in good shape. but i still prefer to change the front rear and chain all at one time. why? coz i've snapped a few chains and i've seen/heard the damage and dangers of it happening. better safe than sorry. clint --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "john muldowney" wrote:
> > I recently read an article in San Francisco's City Bike written
about a KLR
> owner who had over 100,000 miles on his bike who replaced the front
sprocket
> often (the writer did not provide how often) vs. replacing the
whole
> drivetrain system every year or so...and he claims to have gotten
upwards to
> 50,000 out of the chain and large sprocket. > > It is strange because I have never heard mention of this
maintenance
> procedure on this group...I would be willing to change the front
sprocket a
> few times a year to get that kind of high mileage from a drivetrain. > > Is anyone else out there servicing their drivetrain like this? And
how
> often are you replacing the front sprocket?...I have a 2000 with
over 68,000
> miles on it and because I ride it upwards to 15,000 a year I go
through a
> drivetrain every year or so...I was thinking if I did do the front
sprocket
> replacement maintenance method I would replace the sprocket every
four
> months (meaning three front sprockets a years).... > > If so I may give it a try my next drivetrain replacement.... >

Randy Shultz

chains & sprockets

Post by Randy Shultz » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:21 pm

How many of your chains are retired because they reach their service limit, what some people call stretch? I typically get 15 to 20K out of mine and almost without exception they need replacing because of frozen links and not because they are worn to their service limit. I would guess that frozen links are an indication that the factory grease has given out or that the chain has corroded internally. I wouldn't think front sprocket wear has much to do with that. I could be wrong. I'm looking for ways to protect the o-rings: keep them conditioned and keep dirt from grinding them up. I've recently been using Dupont's new multi-purpose lubricant with teflon which seems to be a wax, teflon and moly substance that goes on like a liquid and quickly dries to a thin film which feels dry, if slightly waxy, to the touch. Doesn't fling and doesn't seem to cake dirt like chain wax. Time will tell.

Rodney Copeland

chains & sprockets

Post by Rodney Copeland » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:58 pm

That's what I'm thinkin. Contrary to those who claim to get 20,000 out of the whole shiteree, I changed the front sprocket three times before the rear and chain were wore out at 20K. Rod
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Saline wrote: > > John, > > Why not try replacing the front only and see how long things last. Cost > of a front is probably about $25 or less. If the chain is good and the > rear sprocket is too, I think I'd just change what was worn. The front > turns 2.68 times for each rotation of the rear if you have a 16 front/43 > rear combo. It just makes sense that the front would wear out first. > > You must be pretty good with your chain adjustment and maintenance to get > 22K out of the set. > > Best, > > Jeff Saline > ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal > Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org > The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota > 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT > > On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 01:36:38 -0000 "greasedog123" > writes: > > Looking for opinions and suggestions regarding chains. I have > > almost 22,000 miles on my original chain(80% road miles) and it > > still > > looks good. My front 16T sprocket(which I put on at about 1000 > > miles) > > is showing wear- rear still looks good. I do oil and clean > > especially > > after riding down dirt roads and trails. My question is should I > > just > > replace the front spocket or is it time to do the whole > > chain/sprockets > > deal and where is the best deal for just a basic replacement? I was > > > > overwhelmed at the choices of chains and types. I would like a DID > > > > chain but even they have a lot of options. > > > > Thanks for any response. > > > > John in Ocala, Fl. > > > > '03 KLR 650 > > > > > > > > > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: > > http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >