[yahalu-yeheli] a really beautiful picture to have

DSN_KLR650
Will Oberg

help!!!

Post by Will Oberg » Wed Jan 10, 2001 6:50 pm

List: I fear I'm in deep trouble here. I was going about adjusting my valves, having just found them slightly out of tolerance. Following Elden's excellent instructions, I was taking off the cam cap when disaster struck. One of those little hollow tubes that help locate the cam cap to the head came loose and fell into the left side of the engine, where the cam chain is. I've looked all over for it. I used a magnetic telescoping wand to try to get it, but it won't fit down between the where the two sides of the chain come together. I have no idea how to get the part out of the engine. I know I should have covered the gap with rags, but it's too late now. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance. Will A15 Used to run great

Robert Morgan

help!!!

Post by Robert Morgan » Wed Jan 10, 2001 8:01 pm

Why don't you make a real skinny electro magnet from a long carb screwdriver and copper wire coiled around it with current through it. Or you could try one of those long flexible grabber tools. Or as a last resort you could try blowing compressed air up through the drain plug hole. Morgan
----- Original Message ----- From: Will Oberg To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2001 4:34 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] HELP!!! > List: > > I fear I'm in deep trouble here. I was going about adjusting my > valves, having just found them slightly out of tolerance. Following > Elden's excellent instructions, I was taking off the cam cap when > disaster struck. One of those little hollow tubes that help locate > the cam cap to the head came loose and fell into the left side of the > engine, where the cam chain is. I've looked all over for it. I used > a magnetic telescoping wand to try to get it, but it won't fit down > between the where the two sides of the chain come together. > > I have no idea how to get the part out of the engine. I know I > should have covered the gap with rags, but it's too late now. Any > suggestions?? > > Thanks in advance. > > Will > A15 > Used to run great > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > >

help!!!

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 10, 2001 9:39 pm

will, turn it upside down and shake it ;) all kidding aside though, you have my sympathy but it may be your only option (the engine only, of course) or if your lucky, you might be able to flush it out the drain hole by pouring oil down the path it fell. the only other "sage" information i could offer that might help is located here: http://klr650.www.50megs.com/pics/A13Parts/parts.html best of luck, let us know how it turns out. "Max"
On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:34:39 -0000 Will Oberg wrote: >List: > >One of those little hollow tubes that help locate >the cam cap to the head came loose and fell into the left side of the >engine, where the cam chain is. >Any suggestions??

Dash Weeks

help!!!

Post by Dash Weeks » Thu Jan 11, 2001 12:02 pm

Yowzers! That sucks, but I don't need to tell you that. I'd do some radiography on the engine to determine its location. Or using a surgical boroscope fixed with manipulators you can extract it from the top. Or well.... You know Will I just don't have any easy ideas for you. The first thing I'd do is ask the collective, oh yeah you did that... so far you've done everything right Except of course for not listening to the collective from square one... I won't dwell on that though, you already feel bad enough. Pouring oil in trying to flush it down and out the drain hole could get it stuck more towards the center of your engine. I'd tilt the bike on it's left side for a day or so, hoping that gravity helps you. Then pull the left side cover and try to fish it out with a magnetic magic wand. You don't want that part finding it's way into a center location, it would be very difficult to get out then. When the left engine cover is off you could try pouring oil down from the top to help it along. (Use a big drain pan, or do it over your toilet) If you want, I'd be happy to crate up my motor and send it to you in return for your motor. Mine is in excellent mechanical condition, it runs strong, its only got 33K on it and it is of the A2 variety. It has an Electrex Stator, 5 gears that work, I haven't touched the balancer parts, and quite frankly is the best KLR motor in the World. (too far on that one?) G'Luck LaterZ Dash At 12:34 AM 1/11/2001 +0000, Will Oberg wrote:
>List: > >I fear I'm in deep trouble here. I was going about adjusting my >valves, having just found them slightly out of tolerance. Following >Elden's excellent instructions, I was taking off the cam cap when >disaster struck. One of those little hollow tubes that help locate >the cam cap to the head came loose and fell into the left side of the >engine, where the cam chain is. I've looked all over for it. I used >a magnetic telescoping wand to try to get it, but it won't fit down >between the where the two sides of the chain come together. > >I have no idea how to get the part out of the engine. I know I >should have covered the gap with rags, but it's too late now. Any >suggestions?? > >Thanks in advance. > >Will >A15 >Used to run great

Krgrife@aol.com

help!!!

Post by Krgrife@aol.com » Thu Jan 11, 2001 4:01 pm

In a message dated 1/10/01 8:04:19 PM Pacific Standard Time, robertlmorgan@... writes: << Why don't you make a real skinny electro magnet from a long carb screwdriver and copper wire coiled around it with current through it. Or you could try one of those long flexible grabber tools. Or as a last resort you could try blowing compressed air up through the drain plug hole. >> Anything that falls down the cam chain area does not go into the crankcase of the KLR but is down under the left side case covers. You might get it out by taking off the outer left cover and using a magnet, worst case is removing the inner left cover as well which requires pulling the alternator rotor. I would think that a steel part which falls down there is probably stuck to the rotor. Magnetic attraction and all that. Regards, Kurt Grife

Steve Anderson

help!!!

Post by Steve Anderson » Thu Jan 11, 2001 7:33 pm

Aw come on folks! There are only eight or nine screws holding the left side outer cover on. Why does everyone miss the obvious?

Krgrife@aol.com

help!!!

Post by Krgrife@aol.com » Thu Jan 11, 2001 10:05 pm

In a message dated 1/11/01 5:53:34 PM Pacific Standard Time, standerson@... writes: << Aw come on folks! There are only eight or nine screws holding the left side outer cover on. Why does everyone miss the obvious? >> Steve, wasn't pulling the outer left side cover what I suggested? If I missed something obvious, what exctly was it? Kurt G.

Charles.Earl@ti.com

help!!!

Post by Charles.Earl@ti.com » Fri Jan 12, 2001 12:04 am

Will, ouch, sorry to hear this. Perhaps you could use a magnet attached to a string or some mechanics wire to probe for the lost part, just make sure the magnet cannot become disattached! Maybe a smaller magnet would fit better. Just a thought, good luck. FWIW, these same caps fellout on my first adjustment (fortunately rags were in place). I put Locktite on them to avoid it in the future. Charles Santa Cruz, CA "Will Oberg" on 01/10/2001 04:34:39 PM To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com cc: Subject: [DSN_klr650] HELP!!! List: I fear I'm in deep trouble here. I was going about adjusting my valves, having just found them slightly out of tolerance. Following Elden's excellent instructions, I was taking off the cam cap when disaster struck. One of those little hollow tubes that help locate the cam cap to the head came loose and fell into the left side of the engine, where the cam chain is. I've looked all over for it. I used a magnetic telescoping wand to try to get it, but it won't fit down between the where the two sides of the chain come together. I have no idea how to get the part out of the engine. I know I should have covered the gap with rags, but it's too late now. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance. Will A15 Used to run great

Steve Anderson

help!!!

Post by Steve Anderson » Fri Jan 12, 2001 7:10 am

Kurt, Apologies; I guess I should have said "most everyone" instead of "everyone". I think your post didn't make it to my email, maybe just the web =]. BTW, this one didn't make it to my email, but I checked the web this morning. It just seems funny to me that *most everyone* keeps telling this guy to make robots, turn his bike upside down at precisely a 72.36 degree angle, or something else kind of crazy, when all he probably needs to do is pull eight or nine screws. Good chance the thing might be stuck to the magneto, and I doubt any kind of magnetic retriever would ever over power it, even if the extremely unlikely chance he'd get the thing even close to the lost part. If it actually could "over power" it, it might screw it up! Just seems funny to me that *most everyone* is missing the obvious and leading this really poor guy (I do sympathize) in somewhat bizarre directions (in my not so humble opinion). All in fun... except for this guy with the part down there! ;-] Steve A.
--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, Krgrife@a... wrote: > In a message dated 1/11/01 5:53:34 PM Pacific Standard Time, > standerson@h... writes: > > > There are only eight or nine screws holding the left side outer cover > on. > > > Why does everyone miss the obvious? >> > Steve, wasn't pulling the outer left side cover what I suggested? If I > missed something obvious, what exctly was it? > Kurt G.

TexasThumpin@aol.com

help!!!

Post by TexasThumpin@aol.com » Fri Jan 11, 2002 9:34 pm

Someone sent me an address and phone number for a place in El Cajon that does a bang up job of rebuilding/modifying the KLR stock shock. I've lost that message. I believe the name was Bob Bell and the location was El Cajon, California. (San Diego County) Please resend this info to me. I promise to print it out immediately. Jim Texas Thumpin [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]