nuclear powered klr

DSN_KLR650
EdgyDrifter

tire pressure

Post by EdgyDrifter » Mon Apr 10, 2000 5:47 pm

Hello I was wondering what the S.O.P. was for filling your tires back up after dirt riding? Do those little CO2 cartridges supply enough pressure or are they just kind of an emergency thing? Has anyone tried to use a small electric pump off the bike? If so what brand/model? Makes a world of difference letting out some pressure when hitting the dirt, but my favorite spot is miles away from the nearest gas station so I have to ride miles on half flat tires...which bites...any ideas, thanks Mark.

Steve

tire pressure

Post by Steve » Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:57 pm

I once attended a tire seminar at a BMW rally by DUNLOP tires. The representative recommended using the recommended tire pressure of the motorcycle manufacturer. However, he stated to find the correct cold pressure, check tire pressure cold, then ride your motorcycle for at least 15-20 to warm the tires. Then, re check the tire pressure and if the pressure increased more than 3-4 pounds, the cold pressure was to low. In other words the tire pressure difference should never be 3-4 lbs. greater warm/hot than when the tire is cold. Also remember that the rear tire heating will be different from the front tire because the rear is driving or pushing the motorcycle forward therefore more friction/energy is changed to heat. for what it's worth - steve [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Susan Moorhead

tire pressure

Post by Susan Moorhead » Thu Jun 14, 2001 11:20 pm

That's the best tip on tires I've ever gotten, Thanks! Marshall in Afton, Ok '95 KLXC3 "Blackhorse"
----- Original Message ----- From: Steve To: DSN_klr650 DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 5:47 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Tire Pressure > I once attended a tire seminar at a BMW rally by DUNLOP tires. The representative recommended using the recommended tire pressure of the motorcycle manufacturer. However, he stated to find the correct cold pressure, check tire pressure cold, then ride your motorcycle for at least 15-20 to warm the tires. Then, re check the tire pressure and if the pressure increased more than 3-4 pounds, the cold pressure was to low. In other words the tire pressure difference should never be 3-4 lbs. greater warm/hot than when the tire is cold. Also remember that the rear tire heating will be different from the front tire because the rear is driving or pushing the motorcycle forward therefore more friction/energy is changed to heat. > > for what it's worth - steve

Andrus Chesley

tire pressure

Post by Andrus Chesley » Fri Jun 15, 2001 6:44 am

Yes, this fits in with the 10% increase limit I was taught. Andy Chesley Jennings, La. KLR & R11RA
----- Original Message ----- > check tire pressure cold, then ride your motorcycle for at least 15-20 to warm the tires. Then, re check the tire pressure and if the pressure increased more than 3-4 pounds, the cold pressure was to low

Shane Hood

tire pressure

Post by Shane Hood » Thu Sep 27, 2001 11:12 am

Ok list here is the questions of the day: When checking tire pressure, are you suppose to (a) check before you go riding or (b) check after you have ridden and warmed up the tires? I have noticed that there is about a 3 to 4 psi difference in tire pressure when checking before riding and after riding. I am new to the world of duel sport and wasn't sure if there was any adverse effect running the tires low or high. Checkout Dual Sport News at http://www.dualsportnews.com Be part of the Adventure! Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

S2Mumford@aol.com

tire pressure

Post by S2Mumford@aol.com » Thu Sep 27, 2001 11:20 am

Low pressure on the street =tires get hot and wear out a hell of a lot faster than they should High pressure on the dirt = like riding on 2 rocks, tires don't grip for shit (sorry, that should read "doodoo") Think about ten speed bicycle tires vs. mountain bike tires. YMMV CA Stu --- In DSN_klr650@y..., Shane Hood wrote: > > I am new to the world of duel sport and wasn't sure if there was any adverse > effect running the tires low or high. >