definition of harley davidson

DSN_KLR650
valhalla@gmi.net

fork seal question

Post by valhalla@gmi.net » Fri May 19, 2000 1:28 pm

Help! I've got a blown fork seal. Is there any way too take the forks apart without the special fork tool? Has anyone bought the tool? Where did you get it and what did it cost? I called my local dealer ( always an adventure ) and they had no idea what I was talking about. I wouldn't trust my dealer to install a spark plug. Around here if it's not an ATV they don't know what to do with it. Thanks in advance for the help. Butch 91 KLR 650

Mike Peplinski

definition of harley davidson

Post by Mike Peplinski » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:40 pm

Thats "Hardly Ableson"
>From: "Adam" >To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Definition of Harley Davidson >Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:27:48 -0000 > >Harley Davidson--- (noun) A machine that converts gasoline into noise >without the benefit of horsepower. HA HA HA HA >Cannot take credit for it, saw it on another list. > >Adam > >04 KLR650 >04 KTM450MXC > > > > > > > > > >Archive Quicksearch at: >http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >

dooden

fork seal question

Post by dooden » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:19 am

Well changed out the Fish oil outta my forks a bit back and of course... POOF out goes a seal.. (Leaking now on right tube) The fiche shows a few parts in there, anybody know what part numbers are normally used in the repair ? Dooden A15 Green Ape

Guy B. Young II

fork seal question

Post by Guy B. Young II » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:57 am

Dooden, You'll need: 92049-1180 SEAL-OIL,FRONT FORK This is the actual oil seal. A 92093-1166 SEAL,FRONT FORK sits on top of that, but it's really just a dust seal and has no oil retention properties. Assuming you just popped the drain screws, how much oil did you put back in the tube? For a simple changing, you need to use the lesser of the two quantities given in the Manual - mainly because you'll never get it all out, so you don't want to put as much back in. Guy A16 - Loaded down for another trip out west -----Original Message-----
>From: Dooden >Sent: Jun 23, 2006 7:18 AM >To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Fork Seal Question > >Well changed out the Fish oil outta my forks a bit back and of course... > >POOF out goes a seal.. (Leaking now on right tube) > >The fiche shows a few parts in there, anybody know what part numbers >are normally used in the repair ? > >Dooden >A15 Green Ape > > > > > >

hijklr

fork seal question

Post by hijklr » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:07 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Dooden" wrote:
> > Well changed out the Fish oil outta my forks a bit back and of
course...
> > POOF out goes a seal.. (Leaking now on right tube) > > The fiche shows a few parts in there, anybody know what part numbers > are normally used in the repair ?
You'll need the seals 92049-1180 and the wipers 92093-1166. The spring clips (92033-1047) shouldn't need replacing. There is a great procedure on Marknet which involves pumping the forks up with air to force the old seals out. I found a 1-1/4" PVC "T" at home depot which worked perfectly to drive the new seals in. The seals on my brand new A17 failed early because the factory screwed up on the fork assembly. Some idiot installed the seal, then a washer (not shown in the part diagram), then the clip and finally the wiper on top of the clip. It should go seal, wiper then clip (no extra washer). Kevin A17