motorcycle cop crash video - nklr

DSN_KLR650
S2Mumford@aol.com

torque wrench

Post by S2Mumford@aol.com » Thu Apr 20, 2000 2:16 pm

In a message dated 4/20/00 7:23:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time, DSN_klr650@egroups.com writes:
> > I just bought a Husky ft-lb torque wrench (click type) but noticed > > the beam-type is about 1/3 of the price. ... > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > The beam-type is fine for most applications as long as you are > reading the torque scale "straight on" and not at an angle. I prefer > the click-type, especially when bolts may strip a critical/expensive > part (valve covers, cam bearings, etc). All it takes is one stripped > bolt to more than offset the savings of the less expensive beam-type > wrench. > If you buy the better click-type, be sure to reset the torque to zero > before putting it away. I buy the best tools with the idea that it > will last me a lifetime. > > Professor > '95 KLR650-A9
Reset it to the lowest reading on the wrench before storage. eg. 15 ft. lbs for 1/2"wrench. If you unscrew it beyond that (all the way down), it isn't good for the accuracy of your torque wrench. CA Stu

Chuck McCullough

torque wrench

Post by Chuck McCullough » Tue May 02, 2000 11:00 am

I'm looking at a Northern Tool & Equipment catalog right now. They have a 3/8" drive torque wrench with 120-960 in-lbs capacity (10-80 ft-lbs?) for $19.99 Their phone # is 800-556-7885. Don't know about the quality of this specific tool, but we've bought other stuff from them that was ok. Chuck in WI

Chuck McCullough

torque wrench

Post by Chuck McCullough » Tue May 02, 2000 12:50 pm

During lunch break, I continued the search. True Value Hardware had a 3/8" drive torque wrench for $23. Sold! Chuck in WI

Shepard,Brian

torque wrench

Post by Shepard,Brian » Fri Jul 21, 2000 9:05 am

What make & model of torque wrench is the most popular. I want to get the right one for my KLR650. -Brian Shepard Philadelphia PA A13

bmgecko

torque wrench

Post by bmgecko » Fri Jul 21, 2000 10:45 am

Dunno how badly they will be off, but a torque wrench is something that needs to be periodically recalibrated. And if you drop it from waist height, it'll need a recalibration then, too. Maybe I'm just anal about it, ut I work on airplanes, and I guess out torque setting really do need to be what it asks for in the tech data. Might wanna see about getting your torque wrences checked out folks... Chris Astier

Craig

torque wrench

Post by Craig » Sun Mar 18, 2001 3:59 pm

Since the weather sucked today,I started doing my first valve check today. I have a 3/8 torque wench that I was planning on using with an 1/4 adaptor, but after taking off the gas tank and looking at the amount of space I have to work with on the left side. I have decided the 3/8 torque is to big to fit. I have already gone to all the hardware, auto parts stores in town with no luck find a single 1/4 torque wench. So I will have to order one form somebody. Who makes a 1/4 torque wench that works good for the valve checks? I would prefer someone other than the Habor Feight el cheapos. Craig A15 (in pieces in the garage)

Robert Morgan

torque wrench

Post by Robert Morgan » Sun Mar 18, 2001 7:29 pm

Snap On!
----- Original Message ----- From: Craig To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2001 1:59 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] torque wrench > Since the weather sucked today,I started doing my first > valve check today. I have a 3/8 torque wench that > I was planning on using with an 1/4 adaptor, but after > taking off the gas tank and looking at the amount of > space I have to work with on the left side. I have > decided the 3/8 torque is to big to fit. > > I have already gone to all the hardware, auto parts > stores in town with no luck find a single 1/4 torque > wench. So I will have to order one form somebody. > > Who makes a 1/4 torque wench that works good for the > valve checks? I would prefer someone other than the > Habor Feight el cheapos. > > Craig > A15 (in pieces in the garage) > > > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >

George Basinet

torque wrench

Post by George Basinet » Sun Mar 18, 2001 10:14 pm

Craig wrote:
> Since the weather sucked today,I started doing my first > valve check today. I have a 3/8 torque wench that > I was planning on using with an 1/4 adaptor, but after > taking off the gas tank and looking at the amount of > space I have to work with on the left side. I have > decided the 3/8 torque is to big to fit. >
Can't you use a 3/8" torque wrench with an 1/4" adapter attached to a long 1/4" extension followed with a universally jointed mm socket?. As far as a cheap torque wrench goes. If you do your valves twice a year that means you use the wrench 20 times in the next 10 years. Returning the tool to it's box untorque and never dropped, it should last for years. As important as the bolts being torqued it would seem that it is just as important that they be torqued evenly to prevent warping. A Harbor Freight wrench ($30?) should do that just fine. All this is based on that fact that I was never a mechanic so my opinion must be adjusted for it's value. Of course a SnapOn or Proto tool would be nice. George Escondido, CA . . . 'when things go wrong, don't go with them'.

IronJungle@Hotmail.com

torque wrench

Post by IronJungle@Hotmail.com » Mon Mar 19, 2001 5:22 am

Putting a "U-joint" on a torque wrench will cause you to get bad reading; ie, the torque wrench is useless. I wouldn't recommend this. Pat Austin TX
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., George Basinet wrote: Can't you use a 3/8" torque wrench with an 1/4" adapter attached to a long 1/4" extension followed with a universally jointed mm socket?.

ElGlaude

torque wrench

Post by ElGlaude » Fri Mar 23, 2001 3:16 pm

Hi, Since there's a truckload of torque wrench available at SnapOn, i was wondering which one is the more suitable for the KLR. I mean by that, if you're looking at the KLR service manual, what's the maxmum torque you saw in the manual? Is it in metric, in Lb / FT or In / Ft? I need a 3/8" to match my other tools! Thanks Bye [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]