nearly new seat

DSN_KLR650
Mike Peplinski

hearing protection; ear plugs

Post by Mike Peplinski » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:34 am

I need some feedback on ear plugs. I've tried just about every disposable ear plug on the market and the only ones that work also hurt my ear like crazy. The soft ones that you roll up and push into the ear canal are very hard for me to seat, hurt and loosen up. The soft barrel type ones work fine on the left side, but the right side doesn't seat properly. They block the sound but my ear still rings afterward, sometimes for hours. The silicone ones that go in like a christmas tree don'e do any better. They cut almost all the sound but hurt and my ears still ring. I've tried about 15 or 20 different brands and styles and even with good sound damping my ears still ring after riding. I have a full helmet and run a tall shield but even when I remove the shield the result is the same.

stevedyer@cox.net

Post by stevedyer@cox.net » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:58 am

As a motorcyclist and competitive shooter, I have used many types of disposable and reusable plugs, even custom-made electronic ones, and the plugs that have given me most comfort/effectiveness are these 'Smart Fit' plugs by Howard Leight. Where others like cylindrical foam ones put constant pressure on your ear canal in order to seal, these are designed like the old tapered rubber plugs with sealing rings, but with two improvements: the rings are bent over so they are non-irritating and seal better, and the plugs are made of a soft but dense foam-like material. Very comfortable for all-day wear, and they don't pick up dirt and oil so are reusable. http://howardleight.com/products/products1.asp?id=1> The stems stick out a bit further than in other plug designs, which make them easy to insert and remove, but you may have to trim the stem in order to have adequate clearance if you wear earmuffs on top of them or if your helmet is very close-fitting around the ears. Steve Dyer A13 FXLR IHMSA, USPSA From: "Mike Peplinski" Date: 2006/03/31 Fri AM 09:33:23 EST To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Hearing Protection; Ear Plugs I need some feedback on ear plugs. I've tried just about every disposable ear plug on the market and the only ones that work also hurt my ear like crazy. The soft ones that you roll up and push into the ear canal are very hard for me to seat, hurt and loosen up. The soft barrel type ones work fine on the left side, but the right side doesn't seat properly. They block the sound but my ear still rings afterward, sometimes for hours. The silicone ones that go in like a christmas tree don'e do any better. They cut almost all the sound but hurt and my ears still ring. I've tried about 15 or 20 different brands and styles and even with good sound damping my ears still ring after riding. I have a full helmet and run a tall shield but even when I remove the shield the result is the same. Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 Yahoo! Groups Links

revmaaatin

Post by revmaaatin » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:47 pm

Hi Mike, Aren't foamies grand! There is definitly a difference in quality of disposable earplugs. You can customize the EAR brand (yellow .45 cal foam plug) by compressing it on its end, and cutting out a very small pie shape that will allow it to fit further into your small ear canal. This is particully helpful also, if you have speakers in your helmet and want to cut down the wind noise but would still like to hear some music. Also, when you put an unmodified soft-plug in your ear, how long are you holding the plug in your ear? It is sometimes necessary to hold it in place up to a minute (some 2 minutes) for it to fully expand. Roll it real tight, place it in your ear, and then hold it in place with the end of your finger. Also, ear plugs are washable, just throw them in the washer. revmaaatin. soft plug user since 1979, uh, WHAT DID YOU SAY? --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Peplinski" wrote:
> > I need some feedback on ear plugs. I've tried just about every
disposable
> ear plug on the market and the only ones that work also hurt my ear
> crazy. The soft ones that you roll up and push into the ear canal
are very
> hard for me to seat, hurt and loosen up. The soft barrel type ones
work fine
> on the left side, but the right side doesn't seat properly. They
block the
> sound but my ear still rings afterward, sometimes for hours. The
silicone
> ones that go in like a christmas tree don'e do any better. They cut
almost
> all the sound but hurt and my ears still ring. I've tried about 15
or 20
> different brands and styles and even with good sound damping my
ears still
> ring after riding. I have a full helmet and run a tall shield but
even when
> I remove the shield the result is the same. >

Greg Schmidt

Post by Greg Schmidt » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:59 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Peplinski" wrote:
> > I need some feedback on ear plugs. I've tried just about every
disposable
> ear plug on the market and the only ones that work also hurt my
ear like
> crazy. The soft ones that you roll up and push into the ear canal
are very
> hard for me to seat, hurt and loosen up. The soft barrel type ones
work fine
> on the left side, but the right side doesn't seat properly. They
block the
> sound but my ear still rings afterward, sometimes for hours. The
silicone
> ones that go in like a christmas tree don'e do any better. They
cut almost
> all the sound but hurt and my ears still ring. I've tried about 15
or 20
> different brands and styles and even with good sound damping my
ears still
> ring after riding. I have a full helmet and run a tall shield but
even when
> I remove the shield the result is the same. >
I've had the same problem. I use Quiet Ears but you may need to try several different sizes to get the right fit. There's a bunch to choose from at www.earplugstore.com

John Biccum

Post by John Biccum » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:18 am

Hi Mike, I have a couple of suggestions on earplug use and confort. You need to straighten your ear canal in order to insert the ear plug correctly. Roll the soft plug into a tapered cylinder, much like a golf tee. For the right ear place the rolled up plug in the right hand. Then use your left hand to reach behind your head, grab the top of your right ear and lift it up and back. This straightens the ear canal. Then, while holding the ear canal open with your left hand, insert the plug with the right. This is much harder to describe than to do! For the left ear use the right hand to hold the ear canal open and the left hand to insert the plug. Then hold the plugs in place for a minute or two until they expand and seal. These disposable foam ear plugs have a limited shelf life. If they are new they are soft and they are comfortable and easy to insert. As they get older they harden and are thus more difficult (and painful) to insert. You can tell if the plug are new and soft or old and hardened by pinching them thru the bags in the store before you buy them. Safety Supply stores and the like sell a lot of plugs and usually have fresh inventory. Hardware stores usually don't sell a lot so the plugs you see there might be older. Rather than use disposables, I have switched to reusable latex plugs. I find these plugs more comfortable and more economical. Alse you only have to hold them for a couple of seconds, not a couple of minutes, before they seal. Thet brand I prefer is the Silencio Silent Partner ear plugs. These are reusable (not disposable) latex rubber earplugs. I have been using them for a couple of years now. I get 6 months or so of use per pair (riding every day) before I wear them out. They only cost about $3 per pair. I buy them at GI Joes in the hunting supply section, next to the paper targets and shooting glasses. Here is a link to the manufacturer's site : http://www.silencio.com/htfiles/earplugs.html -----Original Message----- From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mike Peplinski Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 6:33 AM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Hearing Protection; Ear Plugs I need some feedback on ear plugs. I've tried just about every disposable ear plug on the market and the only ones that work also hurt my ear like crazy. The soft ones that you roll up and push into the ear canal are very hard for me to seat, hurt and loosen up. The soft barrel type ones work fine on the left side, but the right side doesn't seat properly. They block the sound but my ear still rings afterward, sometimes for hours. The silicone ones that go in like a christmas tree don'e do any better. They cut almost all the sound but hurt and my ears still ring. I've tried about 15 or 20 different brands and styles and even with good sound damping my ears still ring after riding. I have a full helmet and run a tall shield but even when I remove the shield the result is the same. Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 Yahoo! Groups Links

Andrus Chesley

Post by Andrus Chesley » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:31 am

Since you've already had good advice on inserting them I'll skip that. I work in a high noise invironment all the time when outdoors offshore. Done been thru many many many brands during my 40 somewhat years of putting up with racket. ;-).. I tried a set of coustom made silicone ones from a bike rally but found they would work out with me always turning my head looking about at the scenery and such. A friend of mine uses a soft wax plug which he likes much. Too much hassel for me on the road. But do work. The ones I found that fit me best for all day comfort are the Howard Leight Max Lites with the cord. After a bit you learn just how far to insert them where they are comfortable and doing the job. On removeing them I always pull down on the cord at a 45 angle and slowly. I've put in many 12 to 14 hours days in a row with no irritation to the ears. You will just have to shop till you drop or find out what's comfy for you. Andy In SW Louisiana

Lawrence

nearly new seat

Post by Lawrence » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:21 am

Hi, All I have a nearly new (less than one year/ 2000 miles) seat from a 2005 KLR. You can have it for $50 plus shipping. I will ship it in the Corbin box. Regards, Larry Leach, Boise, Idaho