oil for the forks

DSN_KLR650
Mike Peplinski

headlight modulator comments

Post by Mike Peplinski » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:12 pm

I installed a headlight modulator and have to say its great. I'm looking for some comments. The modulator is connected to the high beam. The manufacturer claims this is more visible during daylight hours. It seems to really excite cagers though. I had one pull over for me last week, probably thinking it was a cop. Cars don't stay in front of me for long, they change lanes. Obviously this thing really works but with all the road rage I'm concerned that someone will get PO'd. Perhaps a modulated low beam would be more practical. I also installed a flashing brake light. It flashes about 7 times then goes steady when I get on the brake. Let me just say you gotta be blind to miss it. I just got a LED bar type brake light that I want to install on my carry case, up high. Its pretty bright. Would you suggest connecting this to the flasher too or just the stock KLR brake light?

John Biccum

Post by John Biccum » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:49 am

I have 30K miles running a Kisan headlight modulator on my A16. Modulating the high beam is the way to go since you can turn off the modualation simply by switching to low beam. The only time I do this is when I am behind someone at a stoplight and the modulator is bothering them. I have received a few "thumbs up" for switching off the modulator in these scenarios. It has made a huge difference in the number of cagers making left turns directly in front of me. They are so effective at making the bike visable to oncoming cagers that I would not be surprised to see them become standard equipment at some point. Remember that daylight running lights were first tried by fleets (the phone company) where they were found to have reduced accident rates. Then the daylight driving lights became mandatory in Canada where additional data supported the early conclusions that they reduced accidents. Then YEARS after the Canadians and Europeans had daylight driving lights the US finally ade them mandatory. I'd expect modulated headlights to make it thru Congress in about 50 years....:-) -----Original Message----- From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mike Peplinski Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 7:12 PM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Headlight modulator comments I installed a headlight modulator and have to say its great. I'm looking for some comments. The modulator is connected to the high beam. The manufacturer claims this is more visible during daylight hours. It seems to really excite cagers though. I had one pull over for me last week, probably thinking it was a cop. Cars don't stay in front of me for long, they change lanes. Obviously this thing really works but with all the road rage I'm concerned that someone will get PO'd. Perhaps a modulated low beam would be more practical. I also installed a flashing brake light. It flashes about 7 times then goes steady when I get on the brake. Let me just say you gotta be blind to miss it. I just got a LED bar type brake light that I want to install on my carry case, up high. Its pretty bright. Would you suggest connecting this to the flasher too or just the stock KLR brake light? Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 Yahoo! Groups Links

Mike Peplinski

Post by Mike Peplinski » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:02 am

I have to agree. I feel that everyone is looking at me now. While I like being seen, I prefer not being looked at, if you know what I mean. I'm waiting for one of our local Keystone Cops to pull me over. The light looks much like an emergency vehicle. I have a copy of the Federal law that allows modulators on cycles.
>From: "John Biccum" >To: "'Mike Peplinski'" >,DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> >Subject: RE: [DSN_KLR650] Headlight modulator comments >Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 22:39:14 -0800 > >I have 30K miles running a Kisan headlight modulator on my A16. > >Modulating the high beam is the way to go since you can turn off the >modualation simply by switching to low beam. The only time I do this is >when I am behind someone at a stoplight and the modulator is bothering >them. I have received a few "thumbs up" for switching off the modulator in >these scenarios. > >It has made a huge difference in the number of cagers making left turns >directly in front of me. They are so effective at making the bike visable >to oncoming cagers that I would not be surprised to see them become >standard >equipment at some point. > >Remember that daylight running lights were first tried by fleets (the phone >company) where they were found to have reduced accident rates. Then the >daylight driving lights became mandatory in Canada where additional data >supported the early conclusions that they reduced accidents. Then YEARS >after the Canadians and Europeans had daylight driving lights the US >finally >ade them mandatory. > >I'd expect modulated headlights to make it thru Congress in about 50 >years....:-) > >-----Original Message----- >From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] On >Behalf Of Mike Peplinski >Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 7:12 PM >To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Headlight modulator comments > >I installed a headlight modulator and have to say its great. I'm looking >for >some comments. The modulator is connected to the high beam. The >manufacturer >claims this is more visible during daylight hours. It seems to really >excite >cagers though. I had one pull over for me last week, probably thinking it >was a cop. Cars don't stay in front of me for long, they change lanes. >Obviously this thing really works but with all the road rage I'm concerned >that someone will get PO'd. Perhaps a modulated low beam would be more >practical. I also installed a flashing brake light. It flashes about 7 >times >then goes steady when I get on the brake. Let me just say you gotta be >blind >to miss it. I just got a LED bar type brake light that I want to install on >my carry case, up high. Its pretty bright. Would you suggest connecting >this >to the flasher too or just the stock KLR brake light? > > > > >Archive Quicksearch at: >http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ >courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Member Map at: >http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > >

Conall

Post by Conall » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:39 am

Sooner or later You'll get pulled over and questioned, as there is always some psycho running around impersonating the police and assaulting and robbing others. Don't make any sudden moves or do anything that will get yourself shot. Once the LEO IDs you and is satisfied you have no criminal intent you should be on your way. Conall --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Peplinski" wrote:
> > I have to agree. I feel that everyone is looking at me now. While I
> being seen, I prefer not being looked at, if you know what I mean. I'm > waiting for one of our local Keystone Cops to pull me over. The
light looks
> much like an emergency vehicle. I have a copy of the Federal law
that allows
> modulators on cycles.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:53 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Peplinski" wrote:
> > I installed a headlight modulator and have to say its great. I'm
looking for
> some comments.
I've been using a modulator for the last few months. I really like the flexibility of being able to modulate when and if desired. I especially like modulating in those morning twilight hours as I'm traveling 70 mph in the freeway commuter lane next to a string of frustrated drivers going less than half my speed. I see lots of skid marks that I can only assume are from cars pulling out into the commuter lane without seeing the oncomming vehicle. I can't wait for longer days so I can get back to my back-roads commute. Sometimes I wonder what's going through people's minds as all the freeway signs begin to pulsate well before my approach. They've got to be wondering what's going on and be on the lookout. I've also, on numerous occasions, had oncomming traffic on two lane roads flick their highbeams on and off several times. I'm not sure if they're giving me the equivelant of the motorcyclist salute or the finger. I reckon it's the finger ;

Conall

Post by Conall » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:51 pm

> > Sometimes I wonder what's going through people's minds as all the > freeway signs begin to pulsate well before my approach. They've got > to be wondering what's going on and be on the lookout. I've also, on > numerous occasions, had oncomming traffic on two lane roads flick > their highbeams on and off several times. I'm not sure if they're > giving me the equivelant of the motorcyclist salute or the finger. I > reckon it's the finger ; > Matt >
that happened a lot when I ride in Baja. My analysis is that people think your electrical system is malfunctioning and they are trying to warn you of what they feel is a possible problem , like a bad battery or alternator. When they do that I usually give them a thumbs up followed by a OK signal. Conall

Mike Peplinski

Post by Mike Peplinski » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:03 pm

Yeh, thats it. I'm sure those cagers are really trying to alert a possible problem for a motorcyclist. I've always suspected that cagers were concerned for us motorcyclists.
>From: "Conall" >To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Headlight modulator comments >Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 17:01:03 -0000 > > > > > > Sometimes I wonder what's going through people's minds as all the > > freeway signs begin to pulsate well before my approach. They've got > > to be wondering what's going on and be on the lookout. I've also, on > > numerous occasions, had oncomming traffic on two lane roads flick > > their highbeams on and off several times. I'm not sure if they're > > giving me the equivelant of the motorcyclist salute or the finger. I > > reckon it's the finger ; > > > Matt > > > >that happened a lot when I ride in Baja. My analysis is that people >think your electrical system is malfunctioning and they are trying to >warn you of what they feel is a possible problem , like a bad battery >or alternator. >When they do that I usually give them a thumbs up followed by a OK signal. > >Conall > > > > > > > > > >Archive Quicksearch at: >http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > >

a2revolu

Post by a2revolu » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:04 pm

> that happened a lot when I ride in Baja. My analysis is that people > think your electrical system is malfunctioning and they are trying to > warn you of what they feel is a possible problem , like a bad battery > or alternator. > When they do that I usually give them a thumbs up followed by a OK signal. > > Conall >
I believe your analysis is innacurate. Thumbs up, followed by the ok signal? I cannot escape the image of Peter Sellers as "Inspector Clouseau" riding a KLR through Mexico.

Conall

Post by Conall » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:32 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "a2revolu" wrote:
> > > that happened a lot when I ride in Baja. My analysis is that people > > think your electrical system is malfunctioning and they are trying to > > warn you of what they feel is a possible problem , like a bad battery > > or alternator. > > When they do that I usually give them a thumbs up followed by a OK
signal.
> > > > Conall > > > I believe your analysis is innacurate. Thumbs up, followed by the
ok signal?
> I cannot escape the image of Peter Sellers as "Inspector Clouseau"
riding a KLR
> through Mexico. >
Headlight modulators are seen very rarely in Mexico. What other message would a truck driver be trying to convey other than them alerting you to the fact that your headlight is flashing? Maybe you're just upset you wasted $7 on the new pink panther movie, I heard it was pretty lame, just a rehash of a bunch of stupid jokes, know what I mean? Conall

Bill Watson

Post by Bill Watson » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:39 am

Mike, I also have the same headlight modulator setup. I'm really glad it's a high-beam only thing, just like John Biccum has posted. I don't run it all the time and I don't tailgate with it blinking, so I haven't had any odd responses from people. I try to think of their perspective on when I use it. However, coming into a busy intersection, it goes on for sure. also if I'm in the carpool lane and the neighboring lane has a much lower speed than mine, it comes on as well. I tend to use it when I feel more threatened for people to make snap decisions and not looking long enough. I'm really glad I didn't buy one that modulates all the time. Bill Watson Phoenix ------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:12:05 -0600 From: "Mike Peplinski" Subject: Headlight modulator comments I installed a headlight modulator and have to say its great. I'm looking for some comments. The modulator is connected to the high beam. The manufacturer claims this is more visible during daylight hours. It seems to really excite cagers though. I had one pull over for me last week, probably thinking it was a cop. Cars don't stay in front of me for long, they change lanes. Obviously this thing really works but with all the road rage I'm concerned that someone will get PO'd. Perhaps a modulated low beam would be more practical. --------------------------------- Yahoo! Mail Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]