is klr650-c importable to usa?

DSN_KLR650
Shepard,Brian

radiator guard

Post by Shepard,Brian » Mon Jun 05, 2000 6:33 pm

Since I'm getting Tim's Happy Trails Side Racks, I thought I might get his radiator guards also. Anyone got his radiator guards? I'm sold on the concept, but I'm very curious how they're mounted; is it a big deal? Do I have to drill holes into the frame? Thanks in advance, -Brian Shepard Philadelphia PA A13

Chris Krok

radiator guard

Post by Chris Krok » Wed Nov 01, 2000 1:06 pm

Whoever that was, looking for a new radiator guard grille (sorry, forgot your name!): You should talk to Tim about adding a vertical tube to the inboard side of his guard, and attaching expanded metal to it. Could be pretty trick. C -- Dr. J. Christopher Krok Project Engineer, Adaptive Wall Wind Tunnel Graduate Aeronautical Laboratories, California Institute of Technology MS 205-45 Phone: 626.395.4794 Pasadena, CA 91125 Fax: 626.449.2677

cactus_reese

radiator guard

Post by cactus_reese » Tue Mar 12, 2002 1:28 pm

Truth is that you really only need a guard on the radiator side. The reservoir side is pretty stout with a built-in guard. That said, I road 15 miles with a smashed and leaking radiator during June in Tucson without overheating. Just had to avoid stop lights. That wouldn't have been a problem either if the fan had not been decommissioned. -Bryan

TLrydr@aol.com

radiator guard

Post by TLrydr@aol.com » Tue Mar 12, 2002 9:54 pm

In a message dated 3/12/02 2:29:37 PM EST, cactus_reese@... writes: << That said, I road 15 miles with a smashed and leaking radiator during June in Tucson without overheating >> Yea! But when you ride in Old Mexico with me and Dave 300 miles from where no man has ever gone before, Time to hit Warp drive, Live long and prosper, Or something like that. Mike

ride2dualsport

radiator guard

Post by ride2dualsport » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:36 pm

Since there has been recent discussion concerning the Happy Trails Radiator Guard, I'd like to provide information which I hope will be helpful to the list. Our original Radiator Guard was designed for what I call a "Tommy Tip Over." Many KLR's fall over and suffer radiator and fan damage in this kind of simple fall. It wasn't long before we had requests for something tougher--a guard which would provide protection when KLR's are taken off-road (and they should be!). We desinged two products in response: 1. The KLR-PD NERF is the ultimate protection for the KLR. It offers exterior protection for the shrouds, radiator, fan and tank. http://tinyurl.com/tys2 2. For those who don't desire a more subtle system for protection we designed the KLR-Reservoir/Radiator Guard system. This guard is much stronger by design then the original. In the new design we have incorporated a larger diameter and higher strength tube, and better mounting points. http://tinyurl.com/tyss Either of these products provide the strongest level of protection available (especially compared to those who have copied our original design). We no longer offer the "original" Radiator Guard , and consider either of the two redesigned products as upgrades. Tim Bernard www.happy-trail.com

dirtrooster2003

radiator guard

Post by dirtrooster2003 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:22 am

Does anyone have an opinion about the 2 different models available. Dual Star verses Happy t Trails. One protects both radiator and reserve tank the other just the radiator. Have new A18 and it seems like a good investment.

Guy B. Young II - COG Tech Ed

radiator guard

Post by Guy B. Young II - COG Tech Ed » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:56 am

Dirt (can I call you, Dirt?), :-)) Altho' mine hasn't been tested (yet), I went with the Dual Star because others have said that it would withstand a frontal impact better than the one from Happy Trails. Guy A16 -----Original Message----- From: dirtrooster2003 Sent: Mar 16, 2004 1:21 AM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] radiator guard Does anyone have an opinion about the 2 different models available. Dual Star verses Happy t Trails. One protects both radiator and reserve tank the other just the radiator. Have new A18 and it seems like a good investment.

Devon

radiator guard

Post by Devon » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:57 am

dirtrooster2003@... wrote:
>Does anyone have an opinion about the 2 different models available. >Dual Star verses Happy t Trails. One protects both radiator and >reserve tank the other just the radiator. Have new A18 and it seems >like a good investment. > >
It is. I have the Dualstar radiator bar, since it's designed to withstand a crash, as opposed to the Happy-Trails which is designed to withstand a tip-over. I'm using the H-T reservior guard as a place to zip-tie the right shroud. There's a bar behind the reservior, about the same weight as the H-T bar, that a bunch of the electrics are attached to. Devon

Paul Dent

radiator guard

Post by Paul Dent » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:08 am

> Altho' mine hasn't been tested (yet), I went with the Dual Star
because others have said that it would withstand a frontal impact better than the one from Happy Trails.
> > Does anyone have an opinion about the 2 different models
available.
> Dual Star verses Happy t Trails. One protects both radiator and > reserve tank the other just the radiator.
I asked this question a few weeks ago and the general consensus is that the reservoir doesn't really need protecting, and the DS radguard is much stronger. I went with the DS radguard and bought the pump guard from a lister for half price. Paul

Kathi Clark

radiator guard

Post by Kathi Clark » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:46 am

I've been reading posts on this group for a couple of weeks -- great information here! I don't have my bike yet; the dealer is supposed to call me next week to let me know if there will be any more '04s to be had or if I will have to wait for an '05. My first mod will be to add a radiator guard. Question: do these bolt on to existing holes in the frame, or is there drilling involved? Kathi Sacramento (moving toward the light after riding Harleys for a few years) --------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail Address AutoComplete - You start. We finish. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]