nklr $100 off works performance purchase nklr

DSN_KLR650
Jeff Gronert

klr

Post by Jeff Gronert » Mon Aug 21, 2000 2:05 am

-----Original Message----- From: Ken Green To: jeff.gronert@... Date: Sunday, August 20, 2000 22:34 Subject: KLR
>Hey Jeff, > >Tell me about the KLR. What makes it such a great bike? (All I ever hear >are good things, but I've never ridden one). > >-- Ken Green
Well alot of my early motorcycling was dirt bikes, and I've always liked singles, my last four singles have been 70' Kaw 350 Bighorn (20k mi),73' Yam 360 RT3 (57k mi), 85' Hon 600XL (25k mi), and the KLR (46k mi), I like the twostroke's but their no longer practical. The Hon was light and fast (loved the bike) but vibed too much for long road rides and was unreliable with magneto kick start. The KLR has duel balance shafts and I've ridden from Long Beach to San Francisco a few times to visit my brother, no problem! and it always starts right up. But then I'm road bias and have set my KLR up for canyon carving , sorta like a supermotard. Oh the 6 gal fuel range is nice too, especially when your other bike's a VTR and you've done some pushing and siphoning and packing extra gas and being the first one in a group to need gas and calling AAA on the fwy phone to get gas. Also the KLR has taught me to be a better rider because body position is so critical on the bike! and that knowledge has carried over to my other bikes. [87' FZR1000 and VTR] CaffeineRacer, When life throws curves...lean into them!

JIM JAMES

klr

Post by JIM JAMES » Mon Aug 21, 2000 7:56 pm

I thought so! It's a damned virus and your bike caught it from mine, either while riding behind it or while it was parked by mine at the camp ground. We need to keep them separated when we can't keep an eye on them. I sho' don't want mine to learn any bad habits from yours, like falling over, cutting off in the fast lane of the interstate, and the like....james ----------
>My KLR started tweeting when I cranked it up last night (4040 miles).

punkynsquirt@cs.com

klr

Post by punkynsquirt@cs.com » Wed Sep 20, 2000 4:57 pm

Steven: Glad to hear some old gal with a dog was doing her thing long distance traveling on a bike. I will be using 2 debit cards for 2 different accounts. Will not keep them together. Will use a dummy wallet with expired cards and copies of documents and no more than $50 cash for the days expenses. The rest will be hidden in different locations. I just got one of the new Bank of America debit cards with my picture and signature on the front. A thief could only get cash from an ATM if he has the PIN number and supposedly couldn't make purchases if his face doesn't match the picture on the front of the card. In practice, however, Merchants/clerks may not pay attention to the signature or picture, but it seems to reduce the risk somewhat. There are no guarantees. I wish I could take more time with trials before departing. I'll undoubtedly pay a price, probably shipping things back, falling down and so on. Thanks for your interest. Lew Waterman Punky & Lew's Americas Motopaseo

Dan Jenson

klr

Post by Dan Jenson » Thu Oct 05, 2000 10:15 pm

Any one else out there planning on riding in the Ridge Runners 500 run from Angels Camp, CA. to Carson City, NV. and back, this weekend? I live in Tuolumne, Ca. and I'll be there joining in on the fun.   KLR650 (2001)   Dan Jenson

Weaver, Mark

klr

Post by Weaver, Mark » Fri Oct 06, 2000 11:22 am

hi dan. i'm doing it on my y2k klr. i'm getting up godawful early tomorrow to ride out there from santa rosa. what time do you plan on starting? anyone else? do you know anything about the course?? mw
-----Original Message----- [b]From:[/b] Dan Jenson [mailto:dljenson@...] [b]Sent:[/b] Friday, October 06, 2000 8:17 AM [b]To:[/b] DSN_klr650@egroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_klr650] KLR  Any one else out there planning on riding in the Ridge Runners 500 run from Angels Camp, CA. to Carson City, NV. and back, this weekend? I live in Tuolumne, Ca. and I'll be there joining in on the fun.   KLR650 (2001)   Dan Jenson Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... Let's keep this list SPAM free! Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com

Steven van Twuyver

klr

Post by Steven van Twuyver » Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:36 pm

To remove the carb, first unscrew the 12mm plastic nut that holds the choke cable -- then remove the choke cable -- else it will break if you do anything. There are two approaches: you can just loosen the clamps and rotate the carb and remove the bowl if that is all the cleaning that is needed. The better approach is to completely remove the carb by unscrewing it from the head. Best to waste the carb mounting screws and loosen them with a pair of vice-grips. When you replace the screws, use a stainless metric hex head with some staineless washers which can then be easily removed at any time with a wrench. The whole carb will come off when you push it far enough into the airbox snorkel, which will allow the manifold to drop out at the head. I would use carb cleaner on all the metal parts and avoid it on plastic and rubber. You will have to remove the float to prevent carb cleaner from contacting it. At 5000 feet, I would leave jetting stock until you determine that it is running too lean - I would expect it to be pretty close at that altitude with stock jetting. Drill out the idle mixture EPA plug so that you can adjust the mixture if necessary. -svt-

btlynx

klr

Post by btlynx » Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:29 pm

my fav is kawasaki long range :D

Andy Cohen

klr

Post by Andy Cohen » Sun Jul 07, 2002 11:51 pm

Well folks its been a real slice. When I first purchased my KLR I went looking for people who shared my interest and in my wildest dreams I never thought I would wind up with you folks! I have made some great friends, Mark, Stu, Mitch, Dale, Fred, Toby, RM and Cin, Krok and Scotto, thanks. Every time I see a KLR I think of al the fun I had with mine and the friends I made. I had fun reading, flaming and stirring the pot myself on this list, I still miss Jennifer and the discussions of oil, tell me again Beardo which is best for my blinker? As with everything all good things must come to an end and this is true of men and motorcycles, I sold my KLR this weekend, however I get to keep all the memories and great times I had with the friends I made. I will keep the KLR stuff on the website, www.finishlinewest.com http://www.finishlinewest.com/> unless someone wants to host it themselves. Take care, God Bless, and thanks. Andy Cohen www.finishlinewest.com http://www.finishlinewest.com/> A visionary is one who can find his way by moonlight, and see the dawn before the rest of the world. --Oscar Wilde [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Steven van Twuyver

klr

Post by Steven van Twuyver » Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:21 am

From: "Combat_Tourer" Subject: Need help in Guate I went for a test ride on my KLR650 today after some extensive maintenance only to have it die, repeatedly, about 7 miles out of Antigua.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
As much of a piece of shit the Electrex stator is, they do have the absolute best flowchart for diagnosing the stator/diode board. The diagnostic page starts at: http://www.electrexusa.com/electrex_fault_finding.html This will lead you to a four page graphic HTML file that may take a little while to load. I haven't looked at in a while, but I believe it may only cover the charging circuits. Professor Jim's absolutely terrific color schematics are available in the KLR files section at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_klr650/files/Wiring%20and%20Instruments/Wiring%20Diagrams/ So here is what little I know about the KLR high tension circuits: The KLR stator has numerous poles that are wound with thick wire (I believe there are 9 or 11 poles on the stock unit - my Electrex unit had the same number but many of these were not wired - later model Electrex units may wind more poles akin to the stock KLR units). Two of the poles are wound with thinner wire and these are wired seperately to charge the CDI. These two "high-tension" poles allow the KLR to start even if the battery is bad. You may be able to ohm these out to ensure continuity on each pole. There is also a seperate Hall-effect sensor that triggers the CDI located in the case where the stator is. I presume you could check this by measuring it with an ohm meter and sweeping it past a magnet. I would expect a resistance change. From there you have the coil. You can do primary and secondary resistance measurements on the coil. Don't know what values are out of bounds, but typical readings should be less than 10 ohms for primary and 10K for seconday (going from memory so don't hold me to this) - no shorts or opens. Make sure the coil doesn't have any hair-line cracks and ensure that the ground wire screw attached to the frame near the coil isn't corroded or rusted. I had a KLR coil intermittently fail on my Alaska trip because water dripped into the high-tension wire in the coil. The wire is exposed and does not have a rubber boot to protect it from the rain. So in long rainy periods it can catch some water since the wire faces the rain. Unscrew the wire from the coil, carefully dry it, make sure the wire piercing screw isn't rusted or corroded (I believe it is brass) and spray some WD40 in the high tension wire and coil wire hole to help dry it out - then dry the WD40 off. If you are absolutely sure it is spark related, then the above are areas you should check out. It really does sound like you could be afflicted with the T-mod disease where a drop of moisture blocks the bottom carb tube from venting the inner chamber of the carb properly. Hope this help and good luck. Previously hosed by Electrex, -svt- [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

RM

klr

Post by RM » Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:15 pm

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Steven van Twuyver wrote:
>As much of a piece of shit the Electrex stator is, they do have the >absolute best flowchart for diagnosing the stator/diode board. The >diagnostic page starts at:
[snip] 30k mi on an Electrex G45, zero problems. How did I get so lucky?