alternator whine

DSN_KLR650
Ingo Lahnemann

new to the list

Post by Ingo Lahnemann » Wed Aug 02, 2000 7:17 pm

Fellow Lister's.... Just wanted to say Hello and to introduce myself to the List... I've been active in motorcycling (always sport bikes) for the past 30 years... but about one month ago I bought a used '99 KLR 650... 1400 miles. Something happened to me...I have six other bikes, but I can't stop riding the KLR...I used to go for rides... now I go "exploring". The KLR has opened a whole new world for me... I'm always on the lookout for dirt roads, a farmer's field (I stop and ask permission) or some forest path that I'd never look at twice before. I'm probably not telling any of you anything new... I've been lurking on the list for the past month, so I've already learned how to maintain my chain, what type of oil to use in the engine, how to protect myself from wild animals, and which dealers to visit and which not to. I've begun a long list of modifications and additions (It's a disease I got infected with when I purchased my Hayabusa GSX 1300R)... Big Gun exhaust, Dynojet kit, K&N filter, MAP brake, Galfer lines, fork springs, fork brace, a complete list of "Happy Trails" parts and accessories and a bunch of other stuff. Many of you will say that I've gone overboard... you may be right. I can't help it I just love the KLR. Now I need to learn how to ride off road properly... I hope to meet some of you someday... and I really do enjoy most of the discussion items on this list... very informative and helpful. Send me an Email (off list) if you're going to be in the central NJ area and we'll go for a ride. Ingo Lahnemann

blues55

new to the list

Post by blues55 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:01 pm

hello, i purchased an 05 with 50 miles on the clock on ebay and am in the process of having the doohickey put in and brake lines redone with stell braided ones, looking forward to many years of riding here in colorado

lotsabikes

new to the list

Post by lotsabikes » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:22 pm

Hi, I'm Jim. I just got a '92 KLR 650 for my son. I have a bunch of other scooters (mostly old airhead BMW's) but figured this would be a good start for my 22 year old son. The salesman at the local Honda dealer (after my son explained he had very little experience) tried to sell him a CBR600RR. My wife talked be out of beating the salesman to death. The bike has under 11,000 miles on it, and suffers the sort of things that all bikes suffer when they aren't ridden regularly. 1. Carb didn't meter well, so I rebuilt it. Had to replace the $50.00 Air Cutoff Diaphragm, but runs nicely now. 2. Replaced the chain and sprockets. 3. Replaced shift shaft seal. 4. New tires (duh). 5. Steering head bearings were WAY loose. Checked, repacked, set preload appropriately. 7. Replaced the bent handlebars. 8. The left side (choke housing) mirror mount peice was broken, so I welded it up, then re-drilled and tapped it. It's kinda ugly, but I assume my son will destroy it soon enough anyhow. 9. ONE thing to go. The lovely vacuum actuated petcock leaks a lot. I suspect it's just rotted from sitting. Are the rubber pieces for the petcock as insanely expensive as the carb parts?? The KLR seems stronger on the bottom end then the 93 DR650 I used to have. How do they fare on long highway trips? I rode the DR from Las Vegas, NV to Seattle WA a couple years ago, and it was okay. TIA, Jim '73 R75/5 '74 TAMP BONNY '82 FT500 '85 JAWA 500 '87 JAWA 500 '88 R100RS '92 KLR650 '95 R100GS NO 4 BANGERS!

pecos1046

alternator whine

Post by pecos1046 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:20 pm

My alternator makes a whining noise if I set the idle below 1400 RMP. Has anyone had the same experience? Thanks, Peter

Jud Jones

new to the list

Post by Jud Jones » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:16 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "lotsabikes" wrote:
> > The KLR seems stronger on the bottom end then the 93 DR650 I used to > have. > How do they fare on long highway trips? I rode the DR from Las > Vegas, NV to Seattle WA a couple years ago, and it was okay. >
I find the KLR more than comfortable on the highway than my '97 DR650, but I can't say the motor feels stronger. My son is too short to ride the KLR, but he's diggin' the '72 R75/ 5 I gave him.