my first valve adjustment

DSN_KLR650
quarterhorse1091

brightest brake light bulb ??? halogen or piaa

Post by quarterhorse1091 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:16 pm

What is your experience with the bightest brake light bulb? What would be the brightest without causing any electrical problems with my KLR 650. I was looking at Piaa extreme white 1157 bulbs or was considering a hologen bulb.. I tried an LED style 1157 but it lacked overall brightness from an angle...I think for headlight bulb replacements are concerned The Piaa extreme whight bulbs draw stock power with a brighter out put of 100w /110w. I figure I would give those a try....Any thoughts ? Happy Trails....Dave>>>>

sbcglobal

Post by sbcglobal » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:40 pm

I used the LED setup from Dual Star and a couple of strips of red reflective tape on either side of the brake light assembly. Seemed to be much better than stock (to me) with lower power draw. The strobe brake light really gets peoples attention. I've gotten several comments on it. Chuck
----- Original Message ----- From: quarterhorse1091 To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 11:15 AM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Brightest brake light bulb ??? Halogen or Piaa What is your experience with the bightest brake light bulb? What would be the brightest without causing any electrical problems with my KLR 650. I was looking at Piaa extreme white 1157 bulbs or was considering a hologen bulb.. I tried an LED style 1157 but it lacked overall brightness from an angle...I think for headlight bulb replacements are concerned The Piaa extreme whight bulbs draw stock power with a brighter out put of 100w /110w. I figure I would give those a try....Any thoughts ? Happy Trails....Dave>>>> Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Yahoo! Groups Links [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

April Neave & Norm Keller

Post by April Neave & Norm Keller » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:02 pm

A 2357 bulb available from automotive parts stores is brighter than the 1157 and inexpensive. I ran one for several months before buying the LED bulb from Fred. At this point I'm not sure which I prefer although my plan is to add another light to my Givi trunk and likely also convert my turn signals to red lensed tail light, stop/turn. FWIW \ Norm

Jeff Saline

Post by Jeff Saline » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:25 pm

Dave, I bought the Dual-Star LED brake light. I'll put it up against any tail/brake light I've ever seen on a KLR for attention getting and brightness. Cost is steep at, last time I looked, about $65 or so. But it's about a 10 minute install with 3 minutes of filing on the lens for clearance. Don't let the filing fool you. Two very small relief areas for the bracket. It plugs into the bulb socket and will fry your eyes if you are looking at it with the lens off and pull the trigger. Ask Martin about that. I did it to him. : ) Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT

quarterhorse1091

Post by quarterhorse1091 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:50 am

Thanks to all that responded...I think I'll get the LED brake light from Dualstar. It's worth spending a little more if it can save your life.....A friend of mine got killed a couple of weeks ago. He was stopped at a redlight with his custom Bulldog chopper & a delivery tuck hit him from behind...So it makes me think of safety even more so than before......Thanks, Dave>>>

Mike Peplinski

my first valve adjustment

Post by Mike Peplinski » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:27 am

I'll give that a good look for my next valve adj. If all goes well I'll be in there quite a few more times. Lets see, adjust at 6000 miles, currently at 8500, expected life-90000 miles, thats about 13 more times in there. Maybe I can find a few more ways to expetiate the job.
>From: "klr6501995" >To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: My first valve adjustment >Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:34:20 -0000 > >I drop the radiator leaving the fan attached using a swivel socket. >drop the coil. and that valve cover can come out w/o touching the >head. >My wiring harness is rerouted outside of the rear motor mount. >Choke cable is only six inches long. Easy carb removel with wiring >harness rerout > >--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Peplinski" > wrote: > > I just finished my first valve adjustment. I used Mark's >directions. > > Excellent! I have a question. It seems that no matter how much I >wiggled and > > moved, the valve cover would not clear the chain guide. I had to >tap the > > cover and hope I didn't scratch the mating surface. The >other "first time" > > mistakes; I didn't remove the rag over the chain hole before I >turned the > > engine over to check the clearance. The rags got caught in the >chain and > > ripped. I had to dig the pieces out. This could have been serious. >The other > > screw up was that I forgot to retie the wires. Now I've got to >remove the > > tank, seat and side plates. The good news is that it runs great, >just like > > before. When I measured the clearances I came out about .001mm >higher than > > spec. The "shimcalc" allows for this so I figured it would be OK. >One > > exhaust was .026 and an intake at .021mm. IT took about 4-5 hours. >BTW-the > > Kawaswaki retail price for shims was $10.95 each. I got a discount >which was > > much appreciated but wow, that seems to be pretty pricy. > > > > > >Archive Quicksearch at: >http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >