new generation of klr's (nklr)

DSN_KLR650
efewkes

lowered klr

Post by efewkes » Mon May 29, 2000 8:33 pm

Hi Listers,

I've been out of town for awhile and glad to be back with the list. Just put lowering links on my 99 KLR and I'm really amazed at how much better it seems to handle.  It doesn't seem as top heavy in all the mud we have here off-road.  Maybe I'm just more confident because my feet can touch the ground.

Ed Fewkes
99 KLR A13

efewkes

lowered klr

Post by efewkes » Thu Jun 01, 2000 5:24 pm

Hi Jeff, Yep I did raise the fork tubes, however I neglected to cut the kickstand. I haven't had it fall over yet, but I think I'll trim it this weekend. Since I lowered it I've noticed that street cornering also has improved. gotta get one of my sport bike friends to chase me. Ed 99 KLR A13
----- Original Message ----- From: Jeff Hayden To: efewkes Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2000 7:03 AM Subject: Re: Lowered KLR > --- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, "efewkes" wrote: > > Hi Listers, > > > > I've been out of town for awhile and glad to be back with the list. > Just put lowering links on my 99 KLR and I'm really amazed at how > much > better it seems to handle. It doesn't seem as top heavy in all the > mud we have here off-road. Maybe I'm just more confident because my > feet can touch the ground. > > > > Ed Fewkes > > 99 KLR A13 > > Ed, > > Did you raise your fork tubes in the trees yet? I raised mine 1 1/4" > and cut 1" out of the kick stand. With my 31" inseam, I can just > clear the KAWA saddle bags when I kick over. My '99 KLR out corners > all my friends who ride street bikes. Some of the Sport bikes can > keep up in the curves. They all whip me out on the straight aways. > > Later, > Jeff NM, A13, IBA/SS1000 > http://www.biker.net/klark/ > >

gigsnerb2005

lowered klr

Post by gigsnerb2005 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:26 am

Hi I am considering buying a 2001 KLR that has been lowered but as I am over six foot tall this is uneccessary is it easy to reverse a lowered bike back to stock height and what will I need? Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you Ben

Arden Kysely

lowered klr

Post by Arden Kysely » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:39 am

All you should need are the stock 'dog bone' links, unless the bike has been fitted with a shorter shock as well. If it's a stock shock, you're OK. Several Listers have lowered their bikes and might have the links collecting dust in their garages. Check the fork tubes, too. They should be flush with the top of the triple clamp, not sticking up above it. __Arden --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "gigsnerb2005" wrote:
> Hi I am considering buying a 2001 KLR that has been lowered but as I > am over six foot tall this is uneccessary is it easy to reverse a > lowered bike back to stock height and what will I need? > > Any help greatly appreciated. > > Thank you > > Ben

Mike Peplinski

lowered klr

Post by Mike Peplinski » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:59 am

Yes, this is a tough job. It should take you all of 30 minutes with a crescent wrench and pliers. Less if you have sockets. ***Don't forget you'll have to change the kickstand too. If you do make the change put those used bones on the site. Someone will snatch them up. YOu may be able to make a swap, bones and kickstand. BTW-consider riding it as is. I rode mine for a year stock and then lowered it. I like everything better in the lowered configuration; handling, mounting, dismounting and the ride. The only thing that really suffers is the off road capabilities. You lose some ground clearance and rebound. I'm 6'. My off road riding usually consists of a gravel driveway.
>From: "gigsnerb2005" >To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Lowered KLR >Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:26:21 -0000 > >Hi I am considering buying a 2001 KLR that has been lowered but as I >am over six foot tall this is uneccessary is it easy to reverse a >lowered bike back to stock height and what will I need? > >Any help greatly appreciated. > >Thank you > >Ben > > > > >Archive Quicksearch at: >http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > >

Jeff Saline

lowered klr

Post by Jeff Saline » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:13 am

Ben, It takes about 10 minutes to change the links on a KLR rear suspension. If you need a set of stock links I saw some on eBay last night with a starting price of $25. You'll also probably have to slide the forks down to the top of the triple tree. That takes about 10 minutes too. Torque on the bolts is 18 ft lbs if I'm remembering correctly. The side stand may need to be returned to stock length if it was shortened. That will take more than 10 minutes. : ) Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT

cactus_reese

new generation of klr's (nklr)

Post by cactus_reese » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:53 pm

My wife's Kymco People 150 scooter gets around 80 MPG and will do 62 MPH indicated. It does require a motorcycle endorsement. It is reasonably stable with its 16 in wheels. What my wife really likes is the CVT transmission -- no shifting. -Bryan
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" wrote: > Not sure about scooters but my Honda CT90s will do 80 mpg. > --Jim > A-15 > > > > What kind of mpg are these things getting? > > I mean, with KLRs routinely getting over 45 mpg, how much more can a > scooter > > get? > > > Thanks > > CA Stu